Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
PCOS on JUDDD?

I've chased a lot of rabbit trails searching for PCOSers also on JUDDD, so I'm finally making my own thread.
We have our own set of frustrations that only someone with PCOS can comprehend. Any tweaks you'd be willing to share?
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Things I've learned in the past still hold true.

I learned mostly from experience because I'm 58 years old and when I was a teen I had all the symptoms (looking back) but of course, no one ever heard of such a thing. It just was not out there.

I'm so glad my older brother introduced me to Dr. Stillman and to the low carb lifestyle and serious, regular exercise. It saved me.

When my DD was diagnosed with PCOS through blood tests, a research institute asked to study our whole huge family (I am one of 10 siblings and between us we have 65 kids and maybe 250 grand kids?? No one knows the exact count).

My DD suffered through 14 years of infertility and all the painful treatments.

Many in my family are overweight and some have diabetes as a result. Of course, there are all the other symptoms: unwanted excessive hair for the females, early baldness for the males (or like one of my bros, gorilla type hair everywhere). In my family we are either uber fertile (one sis has 13 kids, all single pregnancies) or infertile.

OK, I digress!

After my DD was diagnosed w/ PCOS and then many of my family members submitted to lab tests, I did lots of research on line and bought 5 books on PCOS and PCOS management.

Imagine my surprise when low carb living and more exercise than normal people have to do is a way to manage the symptoms.

I definitely do not do 100% low carb on JUDD. What a joy that is.

However, when I'm feeling excessive food cravings, I know I have to pull back.

Yesterday's DD was a pure protein day for me. No carbs.

I'm hoping to keep it that way for several days anyway before introducing any carbs.

Those of us with PCOS are carb sensitive and have metabolic issues related with that syndrome. It's just the way it is.

"To thine own self be true." Knowing your own body and what works and how it reacts to food, activity, inactivity, etc. is the most important gift you can give yourself.

Have you read Dr. Dukan's book? It really helped me to get going this time with great success. Then after a few months I switched to JUDD.

I can't have every UD be a carb feast. I just can't. But sometimes I do.

The miracle of JUDD and ADF or IF is that once you are in the cycle, even if you do have those carb mania days, the recovery is quick and relatively painless.

Glad you started this thread. I'm sure more people will chime in with their own experiences.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I don't have any tweaks, but PCOS makes weight loss very challenging. The insulin resistance connection brought me to low carb, which was the best thing I had found for weight loss (despite all the people who tried to warn me off it). I just couldn't sustain it. I kept doing this cycle of three or four very successful months, after which I just got burnt out. That is why JUDDD is amazing to me. I still do low carb down days, but every other day I can enjoy the same food that everyone else is having, while losing weight. Win-win!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I'm another JUDDD cyster. I don't really have any great tweaks up my sleeve, either. I usually do low carb DD and mid or slightly higher carb up days. I am losing pretty slowly this time. But, with PCOS and low thyroid I'll take whatever loss I can get. Now, that I'm in my early 40s age seems to be yet another obstacle to slow down the process. Oh well another day another tenth of a pound. Power on JUDDD cysters!
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Subbing to this. New to JUDD, but very curious to hear about other PCOS sufferers experiences.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I would agreed with previous posters - I have found LC to be the best way for me by far, I got pregnant twice while LCing. I also have found it very hard to stick to long term! I find a mostly LC JUDDD is working best for me - although it is slow I don't mind! I sometimes have carbs on a special occasion or popcorn at the movies and get back on track the next day.

Dee

Last edited by brehede; 12-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: mis-spelling
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I have PCOS, too. No tweaks, for me, just strict rotations with very low DDs (under 200 cal when possible). My cycle has always been off, but it's more unpredictable on JUDDD. Let's just say I'm always prepared...
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

I should say that since JUDDDing I am no longer taking medication for Diabetes. I was on Byeatta injection 2x per day and BG was bad! My A1C went from 8.9 to under 6.5!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I have a dreadful time losing with PCOS, but intermittent fasting is such a help for not gaining and being able to mostly live like a human.
My down days are best with protein. I have mostly switched to just organic hemp protein in water, maybe a small meat and veg dinner. Stick with real healthy food, organic and pastured as much as possible. Get sun and activity.

PCOS+ perimenopausal symptoms= YUCK
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Hey, all -- fellow Cyster here... Ugggghhh... yes, it's frustrating. I feel like I've been losing and gaining the same 10 pounds for the past two years (probably because I have). Part of the problem is that the only way I seem to be able to lose is when I'm on the pill (Apri is the current one -- can't do Yasmin, it turns me into a Yasmanian Devil... :P) I don't WANT to be on the pill, though, because they all seem to affect my mood to some degree, take away my energy and I'm now 39... just don't want to be on artificial hormones forever, know what I mean? I'd been switched to progesterone cream and metformin at one point, but still wasn't able to lose with those. Anyway, I'm really, really hoping that JUDD is the light at the end of this tunnel for me (at least with regard to weight loss). I'm going to be reading this thread with great interest...
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I thought I'd bring this article here, since it's about PCOS.

Hormone disorder and the Pill tied to blood clots - chicagotribune.com

I know personally my doctor immediately put me on the pill when I was diagnosed. I chose to go off of it a few months ago, and have had some horrible cramps and feeling all out of sorts during my TOM since, but I'm hoping that sorts itself out. It's scary that the thing prescribed to help us might be more damaging.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Have you read Dr. Dukan's book? It really helped me to get going this time with great success.
I'm a health food nut, but just in case, I ordered his book. I'm acquiring quite a library of diet books.
The only tweak I've encountered is all carbs are not created equal. Carbs do count for me, and I'm having to watch them carefully. Insulin resistance and having PCOS puts a completely different spin on losing weight for me, but at least I'm progressing.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Thanks for posting that, DeeDee -- it's very interesting information. It also confirms what I've always thought -- the pill just isn't good for us. It's unnatural and disrupts the body's natural rhythms. Also, for me, it's frustrating -- because I can honestly say I'm a much happier person and enjoy life so much more without it. I've found that I actually HAVE a sex drive! (sorry if that's tmi...) It sucks to have to give all that up to manage my symptoms.

Well, let me put this question out there (and, of course, only answer if you feel up for sharing your medical info with a total stranger! lol) -- how many of you Cysters are currently on BCP's? Have you been in the past? If you were, how did you get off and how did you manage the symptoms after you were off? (my symptoms are very oily skin, acne, and crazy-weight-gain, painful ovulation -- basically, I think the egg drops but it can't get out. Hence, the cysts...). I am still looking for my personal solution, as you can tell...
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, let me put this question out there (and, of course, only answer if you feel up for sharing your medical info with a total stranger! lol) -- how many of you Cysters are currently on BCP's? Have you been in the past? If you were, how did you get off and how did you manage the symptoms after you were off? (my symptoms are very oily skin, acne, and crazy-weight-gain, painful ovulation -- basically, I think the egg drops but it can't get out. Hence, the cysts...). I am still looking for my personal solution, as you can tell...
I hope people answer this because I'm very interested in hearing others' experiences!

My own experience with the pill is that I was on it in my 20's (before I was diagnosed or had any symptoms of PCOS). I was about 50 pounds lighter then (and 100 pounds lighter than I was when I was diagnosed with PCOS) so I'm not sure if it made a difference, but the pill had no negative effects on me then. When I was first diagnosed with PCOS I was not on the pill, and my cramps weren't great but weren't terrible. Now that I've gone off of it, there is at least one day during my TOM where I feel deathly ill. Not just cramps but overwhelmingly dizzy and achy. I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and if it's just a sign my body is sorting things out on its own?

I had horrible, awful cystic acne (mostly on my chin) both on and off the pill in recent years (since I gained weight basically). For me, the thing that helped more than anything was taking fish oil and fermented cod liver oil. My skin isn't perfect, but it's helped immensely, and if I go a few days without it, I'll break out. I think decreasing my sugar and carb intake has helped with that a great deal too.

I've heard others say just losing weight can cure some of the other symptoms.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

I've never been on the pill, but I still get way more acne than your average 36 year old and have terrible cramping and very heavy bleeding. My blood sugar is way better with the weight loss- Thank you JUDDD! I have more facial hair then I care to discuss, but bless the tweezer. I have been unwilling to take the pill or get the IUD which my OB/GYN has been suggesting. I also couldn't tolerate the GI distress on Metformin after a year of running to the bathroom. I eventually needed Byetta injections for my diabetes, but now take nothing and am doing really well!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rowsdower
WRT to the pill: I was on it since I was fifteen years old due to not having a period. My OBGYN did nothing to diagnose me - just put me on the pill.
When I was in college for ultrasound, I diagnosed myself with PCOS and had it confirmed with an endo. Tried metformin in addition to the pill as I was having serious problems losing weight. Went off metformin when I felt I wasn't seeing any results. Had intermittent acne issues and always had extremely heavy flow no matter what pill I was on (and I tried a lot of different BCPs). I kept gaining weight no matter what I did, and after doing some more research, decided that the pill was probably not the best answer for me. Went off the pill and onto metformin again along with spironolactone. Still no changes with the weight, but I felt my bloating had gone down a lot, and I just felt more "normal", despite not having a period. My skin was doing terrible, though, so I had my spiro upped and went to a dermatologist, which cleared everything up really well.
I still haven't had a period after one year on metformin, so my doctor suggested progesterone cream. I start that this month. He also found I was vit. D and B deficient, and put me on supplements (including zinc, as I've had problems with thinning hair since going off the pill).

As far as weight loss goes, the combination of metformin and JUDDD has been magical. I was steadily gaining weight all throughout high school and college, and now, finally, I'm really losing weight. Twenty pounds after about three months of JUDDDing! My new doctor was adamant that I add in weight training and limit my sugars/alcohol to speed up this progress and bring down my body fat percentage some more. All in all, after going off the pill and making these changes, I'm feeling a lot better. My mood issues have always been a problem - on the pill, I was cranky, irritable, depressed, unstable, anxious, etc.; off the pill, I've been sort of the same, plus my OCD tendencies have worsened as has my anxiety, but my new doc also found out that my serotonin and dopamine was extremely low, and gave me some supplements to help that, which should, in turn, improve my crazy moods.

Looking back, even though this alternative method of controlling my PCOS symptoms has brought its own difficulties, I still think that getting off the pill was the best decision. But if there's one thing I've learned when it comes to dealing with PCOS, it's that you really just have to be patient, and be willing to do a lot of trial-and-error. Find what's best for you. Also important is finding a doctor who knows about PCOS and who is willing to help you try new methods of dealing with it.
Rowsdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I think some doctors immediately turn to the pill for PCOS and it does nothing or very little to help. It just hides some of the symptoms. Metformin at least helps the insulin resistance, though a lot of people have stomach issues. If your doctor is treating PCOS with bcp; that is pretty old school. I think I took bcp for about 2 months total in my whole life. It was Yasmin back in 97 after my second was born. I have done metformin and spironaldctone. I personally believe both of those to be more useful than bcp. My endocrinologist agreed when I asked her about it. It isn't fixing anything; only hiding some of the symptoms.
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rowsdower
More than that, some studies have come out actually saying that prolonged use of BCP worsens insulin resistance.
Rowsdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reese
WOE: JUDDD and Shakeology
Start Date: October 24 2012
My doctor took me off the pill because of being almost 35 and my family history of diabetes and heart disease. About a year later I was diagnosed with PCOS. Low carbing seems to help alleviate my symptoms the most, but just not sustainable for me. At least with JUDDD I'm losing weight which should help more in the long run.
reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
I'm a PCOSer since I was 16. Now am post menopausal Syndrome X which is what you become post meno.

JUDDD helped me break a multi year stall. I've lost from 276 down to 238 as of today. I was as low as 218 but had to go off JUDDD and LC due to recon surgery for breast cancer. Please be careful with artificial hormones. Women with PCOS already have out of control insulin and are pre-disposed to breast cancer as a result.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: leighleighbuggy
Stats: 198.6/193.8/155?
Start Date: july 8th 2013
My dr. recommends an iud for bc w/my pcos. However, I have heard some horror stories from friends about it and am somewhat afraid. I have been on the nuvaring w/no weight gain, but recently read about blood clots. My dh refuses to have a vasectomy. I am not sure whether I should get the IUD or continue w/the nuvaring or try something else.
leighleighbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

After a month of experimentation, I've concluded that the only way my PCOS body can lose weight is by limiting my carbs to no more than 100 per day. I've been struggling with the same seven pounds for 2 months, and it only calmed once I came to this conclusion. I lost the seven pounds and an inch on my butt within 2 weeks. I sure wish I knew this when I was 12 years old, at 194 lbs. sigh

The JUDDD worked without watching carbs for three months then POOF it quit, despite my strictness. It's easy to stick with the JUDDD when you're losing. It's very discouraging when the scale only bounces up.

I've switched to Primal for the time being, but may go to JUDDD/Primal in time. I've learned a lot in this forum. I really appreciate the encouragement I've received as well as what I've read from the JUDDD succeeders. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The JUDDD worked without watching carbs for three months then POOF it quit, despite my strictness. It's easy to stick with the JUDDD when you're losing. It's very discouraging when the scale only bounces up.
I'm sorry you were struggling! But glad you have figured out what works for you.

I think I stall out after about 4-5 months on any WOE, but as soon as I switch something, the loss happens again. I expect this to happen with JUDDD too, and will add low-carbing back into it at that time, I think.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

gum stalls me

I have been an avid gum chewer since I was a child. I recently quit chewing gum, and within 4 weeks, I've lost 15.8 pounds. I'd stalled several months ago, but hadn't accepted the fact that gum could be a problem.

I'm not sure if this is typical of a PCOSer, but that's my story. And I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

I've never been a gum chewer so I don't know. I just got lab work done and my Prolactin is way too high and something else (hormonal) is way too low. Called doc, twice, but have not heard back. I've had my period 4x in 8 weeks.