Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   BMI ~ Grrr! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790448-bmi-grrr.html)

KeirasMom 12-01-2012 08:33 AM

BMI ~ Grrr!

So all this time, I've been certain that when I hit 173 - 174, I'd be in the "normal" range. I'm soooo close. This morning, I decided to verify, and realized I've had that number in my head since I started losing weight. I've also lost nearly an inch in height, and I neglected to adjust for that! I have to be 168 to be in the "normal" range. Grrr! :annoyed:

Rant over.

angie1 12-01-2012 08:40 AM

Don't worry about BMI!! It is so inaccurate - because it doesn't take into account lean body mass etc.

You look fabulous! and you are definitely NORMAL !!! :D

Yam-Yam 12-01-2012 08:45 AM

Ditto to what Angie said!

You look amazing, Dawn! BMI does not take into consideration so many things like lean muscle mass, age, etc.

I know when I feel "right" and I don't need some random chart to tell me I'm OK!

Neither do you. Anyway, you are THERE, Girl! Look what you have done. Amazing!:notwrthy:

Zib 12-01-2012 09:39 AM

As Yam-Yam and Angie said - it's not accurate for fitness. I worked with a guy who played Rugby with a local team and had played professionally in the UK. He was like one solid muscle and BIG. He had a physical for health insurance and was told to lose weight. They'd classified him as overweight and not over-muscular and fit. Remember that Picabo Street was unfit by BMI standards, despite the fact that she was an Olympic class skier.

Trust your mirror and your clothes and forget BMI.

Here's a good article on it: The skinny on the Body Mass Index (BMI) | Digital Bits Skeptic

calichris 12-01-2012 11:52 AM

Well that is frustrating! One thing I dislike about the BMI though, is that it is really just a fancified height weight chart that doesn't take into consideration body frame size!
Maybe try this: How To Calculate Accurate Bmi For Large Frame | LIVESTRONG.COM and see what you get.

ETA: For large frame, BMI Below 20.35 = Underweight; BMI 20.35 to 27.39 = Normal; BMI 27.39 to 32.89 = Overweight; BMI 32.89 and above = Obese

According to this, you are already "normal," my friend! (right?)

Handy Dandy chart with both BMI and frame size charts, with a frame size normal range below. Large frame normal range does not quite correspond for all heights with the +10% adjusted BMI above but comes close: http://weighing-success.com/Support-files/BMIIBW.pdf

Carly 12-01-2012 12:39 PM

Dawn you have done an amazing job and you look great. The "normal" range is kind of arbitrary. I may officially by normal, but I still have quite a large belly since my frame is small. I have to be way closer to 120 to look thin than 136. You've got the height advantage and you look great!!!

LoCarbGal 12-01-2012 01:40 PM

Oh frustrating! But I agree with everyone else here, BMI is so arbitrary. It's a tool, a starting point. It bugs me that life/health insurance companies look at this only, and don't actually take into account how muscular or fit you might be.

You are looking fantastic, Dawn, and you are most definitly NORMAL!

gotsomeold 12-01-2012 04:10 PM

WHAT???

Dawn, you are slender, sveltey, stunning, and whole lot of S words that add up to you are slipping right by 'normal' and coming very close to being 'skinny'.

Period.

End of theoretical height/weight chart that only knows two things and does not take one heck of a lot of very important stuff (like frame and muscle and subcutaneous fat) into consideration.

Rayne_W 12-01-2012 04:14 PM

Top 10 Reasons Why the BMI is Bogus

KeirasMom 12-01-2012 04:15 PM

You all sure do know how to make me feel better! :hugs: Christina, thank you for sharing that. I know it, intellectually, but sheesh, it's rough when you think your sooo close to something and then find out you were wrong. Oh well, live and learn! :heart:

Shari4 12-01-2012 06:52 PM

Dawn, I had thought that if I get to 145 then, I'd just barely be in the normal range! But, when I go to all the different links here....they all differ!! One says my BMI is just right already! One shows I still have a ways to go with lots of different BMI's in the middle! Ugh! All I know is that at 145 I think I'll feel skinny enough to maintain! :/ So, that's what I'm working towards........

As for you, you ARE normal just as you are!!! You look so fab & happy!! Ignore those charts! They don't tell the whole story! :hugs:

stephdray 12-01-2012 07:19 PM

Wait, why did you lose an inch of height?

LoCarbGal 12-01-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne_W (Post 16111485)

Very interesting Rayne. Thanks for that.

gotsomeold 12-02-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16111678)

Good catch!

Dawn, you should be decades away from shrinking. S'up with you going down?

KeirasMom 12-02-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16111678)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16111909)
Good catch!

Dawn, you should be decades away from shrinking. S'up with you going down?

All I can come up with is that the bottoms of my feet must have been REALLY fat! :hyst:

I was 5'10" in my 20s, and wasn't measured again until recently, and now I'm 5'9.25" to be absolutely technical. So I lost 3/4 of an inch.

I also have a congenital fusion of my lower spine, and I have been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease, so it's also possible that my disks have compressed that much. I do my best to ignore both. :laugh:

Carly 12-02-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16111978)
All I can come up with is that the bottoms of my feet must have been REALLY fat! :hyst:

I was 5'10" in my 20s, and wasn't measured again until recently, and now I'm 5'9.25" to be absolutely technical. So I lost 3/4 of an inch.

I also have a congenital fusion of my lower spine, and I have been diagnosed with degenerative disk disease, so it's also possible that my disks have compressed that much. I do my best to ignore both. :laugh:

I lost over an 1.5 this way (before age 30), but after my 5 level fusion I was just about 5'2" again. I have not had my height taken in almost 2 years and I lose disc space by the day- so I may be under 5'2" again- maybe that's why I still look pudgy at "norrmal":hyst:

Shari4 12-02-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16112137)
I lost over an 1.5 this way (before age 30), but after my 5 level fusion I was just about 5'2" again. I have not had my height taken in almost 2 years and I lose disc space by the day- so I may be under 5'2" again- maybe that's why I still look pudgy at "norrmal":hyst:

You do NOT look pudgy, Carly!!! :huh:

Carly 12-02-2012 02:16 PM

My stomach looks kinda pudgy, but I'm realizing (like in the last 2 hours while trying to buy jeans) that the pudge is actually tons of skin... don't know which is worse... actual pudge or flabby skin acting like pudge...

sorenkkg 12-02-2012 08:38 PM

I was going to ask about the height, but that got answered... (I noticed my shoes were too big last night. Go figure where the weight is going to come from, right? :p )

:hugs: Dawn. You look like a different person (wait! maybe you and Carly are impostors!!! :confused: ) and it's not about the scale or the BMI, but how awesome you feel, and good health now and in the future.

And skinny jeans. ;) And boots! oh wait, that's what *I* want... ;)

Rant anytime, we're here for you!
S.

KeirasMom 12-03-2012 07:38 AM

Carly, I totally hear you on the skin v's pudge. If it weren't for my skin, I'd look fantastic in skinny jeans. As it is now, with my height and skin, they sit way too low to look good. Unless I can find some skinny jeans with a higher waist, it's just not happening yet! Do they make "mom" skinny jeans? :hyst:

You're absolutly right Soren, and I know it. I just need to figure out how to be comfortable in my skin, even with the extra icky loose stuff!

sterlinggirl 12-03-2012 08:15 AM

Dawn i hear ya.. I went finally to look for skinny jeans just yesterday,, and i did find a pair that are a tad high up on the waist, So just keep looking,those kind are out there. The brand i found to give me that lil extra rise was and oldie Jordache.. Didint know they even made those any more.. But for the first time in my life i bought size 10 skinnys!! :jumpjoy: But..I will only wear them at home for now.. i dont feel comfortable yet to let the public see me in them lol..BUT DH loves em. especially with the boots i bought :hyst: Dawn you look simply amazing.. so thin i just love the new confident photo of you~

jenericstewart 12-05-2012 11:10 AM

My husband is 6'1", and weighs 190-200. He has a grand total of approximately 6 oz. of fat on his stomach. He's boney elsewhere, very physically fit! He's considered overweight on any weight BMI scale? Hogwash! lol

Luv2Eat 12-05-2012 11:37 AM

Kiera'sMom, that's exactly what my girls tell me, the high waisted jeans are "Mom" jeans, usually uttered with a bit of disgust in the tone and facial expression. I'm getting the last laugh though - my last shopping trip, I went to Delia's (a store that specializes in skinny teen jeans) and slipped into a pair!! Previously, none of them fit me because the size that fit my thighs wouldn't fit my 'waist'. So there - you youngsters, you - ha!!

Just don't look at the tummy - got that extra skin thing going on too. It still fits better into the jeans than the pudge does.

At first, I wasn't really crazy about the 'low' waist. I've decided they're more comfortable to sit in - they don't pinch my tummy.

Carly 12-06-2012 01:14 PM

Thread jack...

The low rise jeans... they make me nervous... the skin on my back has no sensation from the top of the butt to right below the bra (from all the surgeries). So I can't feel a breeze if they get too low or my shirt bunches up... I'm afraid I'll be exposing my lower back almost bum and undies area and not know :o - my scar, too. Maybe this is alright if you are 18 yrs old and don't have a scar, but no one wants to see this on me.

I'll have to stick with mom jeans!:p

Thead jack over...

Rayne_W 12-06-2012 07:56 PM

Sorry if this is off-topic....

Just like I'd mentioned in another thread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ce...l#post16078569), some MDs have an annoying and rather distressing habit of completely ignoring BMI obesity guidelines.

BMI may not be perfect...but insurance companies pay attention. They look at a) the BMI number, b) physician documentation, and c) ICD-9 codes (US only...everywhere else uses ICD-10).

At any rate, I work from home as a medical coder, and the chart I'm working on right now shows the patient has a BMI of 34.8 (right in the middle of the 'obese' category).

Two separate doctors have documented MORBID obesity! This patient has NO diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, or other conditions that doctors use, if present, to shift that category to the next level.

So, I have to assign a code for it (which will be seen by the insurance company)...and it ticks me off, because it isn't right. :mad:

What this means is that, out of all the people who work SO hard to shed pounds and get healthy, some will be incorrectly labeled obese (with BMI's under 25) or morbidly obese (under 40) by physicians without a clue.

Like I said in the other thread, if in doubt, ask to see your records. If you find incorrect/invalid information, ask to have it amended.

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 09:27 PM

VERY interesting information, Rayne. Thank you for that. I have questioned medical codes in the past, due to having a large deductible plan and having to pay for things myself. A change in a code can mean hundreds or thousands of dollars difference! I don't know anything about the codes themselves, but you sure lean quick when your insurance is affected. We should all be diligent in watching that.

Rayne_W 12-06-2012 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16122433)
VERY interesting information, Rayne. Thank you for that. I have questioned medical codes in the past, due to having a large deductible plan and having to pay for things myself. A change in a code can mean hundreds or thousands of dollars difference! I don't know anything about the codes themselves, but you sure lean quick when your insurance is affected. We should all be diligent in watching that.

It can indeed -- and in inpatient cases, the sequencing of codes is a major factor. I've actually witnessed nurses and doctors in office settings trying to figure out an appropriate diagnosis for a visit (or lab test), then trying and failing to assign the correct code. Trust me, if I overheard and knew the code, I helped them out (especially if it was MY visit!). I've also had to help my optometrist with code assignment.

At any rate, everyone has the right to view their records or to inquire about codes used in billing.

Carly 12-07-2012 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne_W (Post 16122436)
It can indeed -- and in inpatient cases, the sequencing of codes is a major factor. I've actually witnessed nurses and doctors in office settings trying to figure out an appropriate diagnosis for a visit (or lab test), then trying and failing to assign the correct code. Trust me, if I overheard and knew the code, I helped them out (especially if it was MY visit!). I've also had to help my optometrist with code assignment.

At any rate, everyone has the right to view their records or to inquire about codes used in billing.

Starting Jan. 1st 2013, there will be major changes to coding for psychiatry and mental health- it is sure to lead to major confusion so if that applies to anyone just be aware.

Rayne_W 12-07-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16122574)
Starting Jan. 1st 2013, there will be major changes to coding for psychiatry and mental health- it is sure to lead to major confusion so if that applies to anyone just be aware.

I looked online, and it appears to be for treatment/psychotherapy codes (CPT is a specialized procedural side of things, often for physician billing)...I don't use CPT as much my outpatient coder friends do, but this is really good to know. :high5:

calichris 12-07-2012 10:08 AM

Rayne ... my next goal is to get BMI under 40, so I would be furious if I did so and my doctor still called me "morbidly obese" on a chart! Besides, I have a large frame. ;)

Also, I :heart: your Tomlin quote and quest in your signature. :D