Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hi everybody! It's so lovely so see so many new names here!
I just wanted to second or third the idea that DDs are horrid to begin with and get much, much, much easier as you go along.
I also want to say thanks for joining us. This is a beautiful community. I look forward to learning from your experiences.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Hi new folks! I just started Nov 12th myself. Have loved this board, it's super helpful and incredibly welcoming. look forward to getting to know everyone!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Lovely to see this thread getting busier.

Keep posting!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Happy Birthday, Debbie! You're such a kind and thoughtful daughter, your mother is blessed!
Ooops, wrong thread!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
So...I keep gaining after DD's (or staying the same) and losing only after UD's. Anyone experience that? I don't mind as long as the loss is continual and hopefully it will be, because I'm really enjoying JUDD so far.

I just wonder if I'm somehow doing something wrong. I'm going very low carb on my DD's and still low carb but much higher on my UD's (probably around 50-60 grams carb on UDs).
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moebug
Stats: 175/175/160
Start Date: 11/29/2012
Aack, I don't know where to post. ! This looks like the right spot. Today is my 3rd DD and so far so good. I'm out of the house so that helps. Yesterday was UD and my brilliant idea of not keeping track of my calories. I gained a lb. So I think I need to keep track on UD. Why do I always think I can get away with these things. ? Grrrr
Moebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Deedee, it works that way for some people (including me at the beginning). Others are the opposite, and others are all over the place. As long as the trend is down, and it will be, you're doing beautifully.
It's kinda weird getting used to the ups and downs, isn't it?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Deedee, it's not intuitive is it? For the first 12 weeks I would only weigh after a DD. I was too scared to see the bounce. Sometimes I was pleased, other times not so much. Then one day I weighed after an UD and I had had a whoosh! Exciting!

This month, for the first time, I'm weighing every day. I'm taking to heart what many of the long-timers have said, that you can learn so much more about your body, the way it works, its sensitivities, etc, if you weigh every day. So far I'm not freaked out. I lost half a pound this morning after an UD. Not huge, but I'll take it!

Moe, we always think we can "handle it" don't we? I tend to be more of a control freak. I'm not enjoying tracking my calories (AT ALL!!!) but I do it every day, even UDs. I have the feeling I could go way way out of control, or even completely undereat on UDs, depending on how I'm feeling. If I count, and plan, I do so much better. I guess this counting is just the small price we have to pay for this wonderful eating strategy.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #39

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
So...I keep gaining after DD's (or staying the same) and losing only after UD's. Anyone experience that? I don't mind as long as the loss is continual and hopefully it will be, because I'm really enjoying JUDD so far.

I just wonder if I'm somehow doing something wrong. I'm going very low carb on my DD's and still low carb but much higher on my UD's (probably around 50-60 grams carb on UDs).
You aren't doing anything wrong. Trust in the process, as hard as that is, and take a look at some of the daily weigh in threads (this month and past) and you'll see lots of erratic weigh-ins. I have found no rhyme or reason to mine. I can be up after a DD, down after an UD, and anything in between, sometimes staying the same for several days. You won't get a good idea of how your body works until you've done this for a while. Weight loss is not linear. We like to say here that "the scale, she bounces!" and boy does she!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebug View Post
Aack, I don't know where to post. ! This looks like the right spot. Today is my 3rd DD and so far so good. I'm out of the house so that helps. Yesterday was UD and my brilliant idea of not keeping track of my calories. I gained a lb. So I think I need to keep track on UD. Why do I always think I can get away with these things. ? Grrrr
Moe, see my response above as well. The scale will bounce. Don't fear it ~ embrace it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's really true. After an UD, you may have more food in your system, so the scale may show a gain, but it's NOT fat. It's just the weight of the food in your body, or could be water retention, or any other of a million things. Same thing if you see a gain after a DD. It happens, and it's NOT fat.

If the bounces worry you, try not weighing for a week, and then weighing after a DD. I did that for 6 weeks, until I really trusted JUDDD and knew the bounce would happen. Now, I rarely bat an eye, unless it's a huge bounce, and even then, I know it's water or a glitch. It always comes back down.

Hehe, LCG, you posted while I was formulating my response. Great minds . . .

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 12-04-2012 at 08:36 AM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
[rant]

DH, knowing today is an UD, brought two (2) boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts home. I ate two mini-crullers (with the full intent of eating all/most of the package) before I 'woke up' and practically tossed them across the room. 560 empty calories and a chewing-out-the-hubby session later, they are in the kitchen and I am on the other side of the house. Hoping DD will eat them.

MEN.

[/rant]
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies, for your experience and advise and most of all your patience with all of us newbies. This is such an incredibly supportive place to be!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
So True...the scale, she bounces and this is a wonderful support group...

In the beginning I only weighed once a week, then I started weighing only after a DD...then I had the thought the slow losses were connected with my eating carbs, so I started a chart of weight, calories, carbs, and fat...stopped charting when I realized that the ****** program was doing it all for me...but bottom line, I got really comfortable with the bounces. You'll find you will too, as you realize there is a steady downward trend in the weight...don't be discouraged if you don't see a loss for a few days, it will come.

I hope you all keep a record of your measurements as the most of us see a difference in the pants even before you see a drop in the scales. That's the third thing about this woe...the pants don't lie! So find a pair that's really tight and keep it handy as a goal.

We all pray the whoosh fairy will visit you from time to time and it makes it all worthwhile.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 12-04-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #43

Deedee, we love to support our Newbies here.

And Moebug that 1lb is normal. Doing your best to count calories is all any of us can do. You will be fine. And yes, the bounces take some getting used to. You will learn to accept it in time. The trend will be down.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Hi, there everybody! I'm not really a newbie -- but I have definitely been MIA for a while, so it seemed appropriate to post in the newbie thread. I'm back on the JUDD wagon and have been for a little while -- just not doing too much on the board. Feelin' good -- how's everybody today?
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
I'm another newbie. I'm now on my first UD. Last night, I thought I was going to gnaw off my own tongue by the time I finished the last of my 500 calories, but when I woke up this morning, I didn't even feel hungry. That surprised me. I skipped breakfast and just had my LC lunch: scrambled eggs with butter, cheese, and bacon slices. I'm keeping track of my calories, but I'm also trying to stay as LC as possible with JUDD because I have type two diabetes and I've read that JUDD doesn't always work for us. I think if I can keep my blood sugar stable through LC, however, that I may be more successful. I am not such a severe diabetic that I need insulin or medication, so I'm hoping that JUDD will work for me. I used to take metformin, but my doctor took me off of it and told me to control my blood sugar through diet and exercise. So, we'll see how this goes.

One fun thing I have planned for my day off today is learning to dance and getting my exercise. It's something I've wanted to do for ages, and I need to get exercising, so I found a good dance tutorial online and I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Deen - welcome back! Glad you're back on board. Tell us about yourself.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaofsand View Post
I'm another newbie. I'm now on my first UD. Last night, I thought I was going to gnaw off my own tongue by the time I finished the last of my 500 calories, but when I woke up this morning, I didn't even feel hungry. That surprised me. I skipped breakfast and just had my LC lunch: scrambled eggs with butter, cheese, and bacon slices. I'm keeping track of my calories, but I'm also trying to stay as LC as possible with JUDD because I have type two diabetes and I've read that JUDD doesn't always work for us. I think if I can keep my blood sugar stable through LC, however, that I may be more successful. I am not such a severe diabetic that I need insulin or medication, so I'm hoping that JUDD will work for me. I used to take metformin, but my doctor took me off of it and told me to control my blood sugar through diet and exercise. So, we'll see how this goes.

One fun thing I have planned for my day off today is learning to dance and getting my exercise. It's something I've wanted to do for ages, and I need to get exercising, so I found a good dance tutorial online and I'm going to give it a shot.
It is interesting how often this happens. It just goes to show that 'Hunger is not an Emergency", which is a JUDDD mantra.

I love that you are learning to dance. How totally brilliant. I really hope you have success controlling your diabetes and lose weight on JUDDD.

Good to see you back Deen.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
A little about myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Hi Deen - welcome back! Glad you're back on board. Tell us about yourself.

Thanks! It's good to be back.

Ummm... well, let's see, well, I'm a 39-yr-old mom of two... lol, that seems the way I always begin when I tell someone about myself... And, I'm a teacher, but right now I just teach a part-time after-school class. I'm a veteran low-carber, but lately, that WOE is just getting too difficult for me to stick to, and I find JUDD much more live-able.

I was doing JUDD faithfully several months ago and getting slow but consistent results. I decided one week that I was going to "take a hiatus" and go strict-induction-level-low-carb for a week so I'd look skinnier for an event that weekend (shakes head at self) -- well, sure, I looked good at the event, but then totally fell off any and all wagons and have just gotten back on track recently (and with an 8-lb gain ) So, let that be a lesson to me! If I get any ideas, you guys remind me of that, ok? lol

SeaofSand -- three words: Sugar-Free Jello. Have some at the ready. That has saved me on many a tongue-biting-off night.
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #49

Sugar free jello, I had forgotten how good that can be. See, you are already helping here because of your experience.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tip on the Jell-o, Deen! I will make some for tomorrow.

And thank you for the kind words, Kissa.
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moebug
Stats: 175/175/160
Start Date: 11/29/2012
Great to hear all your words of wisdom. Today's DD has been great. I fear my UD tomorrow. I'm going to try and be a little more prepared. I think my issue with my last UD was being in the house all day. I'm not working right now but I do try to get out to the gym about 4 times a week. I would like to lose 15-25 lbs. I lost 50 doing Dukan but have gained 15 back. I'm going to count my calories tomorrow ! No more thinking I can be blissfully unaware
Moebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Welcome Moebug...Glad to see another Dukan buddy here...there are some over on the golden agers, that and Rosedale folks, and the recipes are so good for DD's. I love the Dukan pancake and have it quite frequently for breakfast...egg white with a little oat bran...works so well with a sprinkle of cinnamon or last week I had one as a crepe filled with cottage cheese and spinach...sounds so good that will be my breakfast tomorrow. Can you think of any other Dukan recipes that would convert to this woe for DD's?
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Maybe some of you can help me. Exactly how do you calculate how many calories to eat on an UD? I originally calculated how many calories I would need at my current weight, but I am not sure if that is the correct way.

I'm also worried about overeating today. I didn't feel very hungry at all until after dark, which is when it always hits me the worst, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. or so. I overate at dinner and ended up with more calories than I intended. It was actually easier yesterday to make myself stay at 500 calories than it was tonight to stay within a higher range. I went over that limit today, for sure.

It is pretty hard to stay lower calorie while I'm trying to remain LC at the same time. Grr. Sorry, I needed to vent a little tonight.
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #54

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Maybe some of you can help me. Exactly how do you calculate how many calories to eat on an UD? I originally calculated how many calories I would need at my current weight, but I am not sure if that is the correct way.

I'm also worried about overeating today. I didn't feel very hungry at all until after dark, which is when it always hits me the worst, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. or so. I overate at dinner and ended up with more calories than I intended. It was actually easier yesterday to make myself stay at 500 calories than it was tonight to stay within a higher range. I went over that limit today, for sure.

It is pretty hard to stay lower calorie while I'm trying to remain LC at the same time. Grr. Sorry, I needed to vent a little tonight.
Get thee over to Dr. Johnson's website, stat! I can't post a link, but Google JUDDD and you should see a link to Dr. Johnson's website. Go to the "how to do the diet" or something like that section, and there's a calculator there. Input all your information and make sure to use pounds and inches if that's how you're measuring (it defaults to kilos and cm) and you will get your official numbers.

Now, if that's what you did and your question is about recalculating, then I confused myself. I use my current weight, and only recalculate when weight loss slows down. HTH!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

You're doing just fine, SOS. Dawn has you covered on calculating your UD calories. That evening time eating - I know it well. I've only just recently conquered it, and I'm not exactly sure how I did it, other than I just want this weight loss so badly. Moreso than other times I've attempted to lose.

Keeping LC can be a challenge on JUDDD too. You get so much less volume with dense, fat-heavy foods, like 1 oz of cheese, etc. I could easily eat 3 or 4 oz before (and I likely could do it now too!), but the calories keep me from using it up like that now. You may want to consider adding back more veggie/fruit type carbs. It'll give you more volume on your DDs, and UDs for that matter. Salads, cabbage stir fries, anything that'll fill up your stomach and help you feel more satisfied. I wish I could offer more help to you. Hang in there! You're still adjusting and will find your own way that works.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post

Yes, very often, but I lose in no particular order- lose after an UD, gain after a DD- weigh the same for 6 days then lose for 3 days in a row.... and on and on. I'm in this for the long haul so as long as the trend is downward- I don't care which way the pounds come off and stay off.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
This was my little illustration about the bounce with the downward trend.

The daily bounce doesn't rock my world (anymore)
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
I'd never counted a calorie before joining the JUDDD Budds three months ago and I was seriously resistant to the idea! However, it does keep me on track - that 1000cal gap between UDs and DDs seems pretty crucial for me.

I'm not usually hungry in the mornings, I'm an evening eater. Cheese anytime, butter on veggies, hot buttered toast (with Marmite) are all great for bumping my unhungry UD calories!!

It's important to use your bathroom scale merely as a small part of your JUDDD toolkit. The JUDDD bounce helps to teach us that our weight is only a number among many other factors. If you are easily freaked out by an overnight gain, I suggest you weigh daily but then calculate your weekly average. If you chart those, you should see the numbers steadily going in the right direction. Logically, there can't possibly be such a thing as an overnight weight catastrophe.
Flossyliz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This was my little illustration about the bounce with the downward trend.

The daily bounce doesn't rock my world (anymore)
Thank you for this link, that whole thread is a great read.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
For me.
After I eat my evening meal. Which time is neve the same, usually 7-9 pm.
I immediately go brush my teeth!
I'm done eating last Meal of the day.
Slip my Jammie's on. I'm good.
As long a I don't wAtch my husband snacking on his sugar-buttery goodies.
I can see it ll but can't touch any of it.
Besides I've brushed my teeth! And I'm lazy wont a have o do it gain.
I'm soooo lazy! I bought a electric tooth brush. NOW LAZY IS THAY? Kinda ashamed to tell that info. But I'm honest! Smile.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote