Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
GrannyPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 116
Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Turbo Convection Oven anyone???

Aldis has a one on sale this week for 39.99...It looks similar to the NUWave??? on those infomercials I've seen but don't trust...

Does anyone here use this type of countertop convection oven and how do you like it?

I would hate to purchase something I won't use...(but again)

(thinking of using my "Birthday IOU a present promise")
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,806
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I don't know anything about those, but I could not live w/o my George Foreman grill!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jem51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: south central OR
Posts: 3,644
Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I have a Nuwave, which I really like, but don't use as much as I hoped.

For me, it was to take the place of using the regular oven when only baking a smaller item.

Since I like steak to be on the red side, it doesn't work for that. By the time the steak is nicely done outside, it's overcooked within.

For items that are to be cooked thoroughly, it's great and cooks evenly.

The thing I love about any of these portable items is that I can cook outside or in my garage when the season is warm and not heat up my house.

I don't know if I would get this if I had it to do over....maybe a countertop convection over would be more user friendly.

That is a good price so if it is of a good size, go for it.
__________________
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,168
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I just bought a combination countertop convection/toaster oven. I haven't used it yet, but plan to try roasting veggies and maybe try out my porkchops tomorrow night. I paid the same amount for mine at Costco.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
GrannyPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 116
Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I have a Nuwave, which I really like, but don't use as much as I hoped.

For me, it was to take the place of using the regular oven when only baking a smaller item.

Since I like steak to be on the red side, it doesn't work for that. By the time the steak is nicely done outside, it's overcooked within.

For items that are to be cooked thoroughly, it's great and cooks evenly.

The thing I love about any of these portable items is that I can cook outside or in my garage when the season is warm and not heat up my house.

I don't know if I would get this if I had it to do over....maybe a countertop convection over would be more user friendly.

That is a good price so if it is of a good size, go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I just bought a combination countertop convection/toaster oven. I haven't used it yet, but plan to try roasting veggies and maybe try out my porkchops tomorrow night. I paid the same amount for mine at Costco.
Jem
The well done meat is a plus for me and also the portability of it.

Dawn
Two appliances in one is more of a plus (convection oven and toaster oven)
Will you please let me know how it goes?
Funny you mention pork chops... I just bought a huge boneless pork loin that was on sale and now I have to cut it up

Last edited by GrannyPants; 12-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Spell
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Mssarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 3,496
Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
I use my convection/toaster oven instead of firing up the stove's oven...of course, I'm cooking only for myself so the smaller size is great. You gotta remember with the convection, it cooks a little hotter, so temps need to be adjusted down about 25 degrees. I love the convenience of the toaster oven but it's a little small for large dishes, like a whole chicken or roast, so I bought one of the convection ovens, don't remember if it's a nu-wave or not) but don't really use it as much as I thought I would. Costco rotisserie chickens are so convenient.

I had an earlier model of the convection oven (can't remember the brand name) that I thought was the greatest cooking device ever. In case of a fire, the microwave and the oven would have been the two things I saved. That one was the type that had stackable plastic rings to create a taller device...with just the one cover it was perfect for grilling steaks, chops and chicken...with the rings you could do up to a 12 pound turkey or a large roast...it was wonderful, but the motor died on me after a very long time.

That's why I bought the Nu-wave type but it just wasn't the same...one thing is that you have to turn the meat over after cooking for a while which I found difficult to do. It does cook very good and if you don't mind fiddling with the food while it's cooking, other than just basting, it will work well. The one I have you can also use the device for cooking stews, soups and chilis, so that may help you identify which you're getting.

If you're looking for a device for baking, rather than broiling, I highly recommend the G. Foreman Turkey Roaster...that is absolutely wonderful as it has a drain for fats to come off, just like the grills...it does have a tray for baking other things and will hold up to a 12 pound turkey or a couple of chickens...a large pork roast. It is, of course, more expensive than the device you're looking at and the $40 is a very good price for what you're getting.

If it sounds like I have a lot of gadgets, well, I do...I am the undisputed kitchen gadget queen. Whatever you decide to get, I know you'll enjoy it...and I like the idea that you're giving yourself time to decide whether or not to get this one....good luck.
__________________
Mary in SoCal

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 12-01-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Crazy PreK Teacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 791
Stats: (Pre-HCG 291)275.2/170.4/175 AT GOAL
WOE: 411(2005)/291(Jan. '12)/170(NOW) HCG/now JUDDD/LC
Start Date: LC~Jan. 20, 2012 hHCG~March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssarge View Post
I use my convection/toaster oven instead of firing up the stove's oven...of course, I'm cooking only for myself so the smaller size is great. You gotta remember with the convection, it cooks a little hotter, so temps need to be adjusted down about 25 degrees. I love the convenience of the toaster oven but it's a little small for large dishes, like a whole chicken or roast, so I bought one of the convection ovens, don't remember if it's a nu-wave or not) but don't really use it as much as I thought I would. Costco rotisserie chickens are so convenient.

I had an earlier model of the convection oven (can't remember the brand name) that I thought was the greatest cooking device ever. In case of a fire, the microwave and the oven would have been the two things I saved. That one was the type that had stackable plastic rings to create a taller device...with just the one cover it was perfect for grilling steaks, chops and chicken...with the rings you could do up to a 12 pound turkey or a large roast...it was wonderful, but the motor died on me after a very long time.

That's why I bought the Nu-wave type but it just wasn't the same...one thing is that you have to turn the meat over after cooking for a while which I found difficult to do. It does cook very good and if you don't mind fiddling with the food while it's cooking, other than just basting, it will work well. The one I have you can also use the device for cooking stews, soups and chilis, so that may help you identify which you're getting.

If you're looking for a device for baking, rather than broiling, I highly recommend the G. Foreman Turkey Roaster...that is absolutely wonderful as it has a drain for fats to come off, just like the grills...it does have a tray for baking other things and will hold up to a 12 pound turkey or a couple of chickens...a large pork roast. It is, of course, more expensive than the device you're looking at and the $40 is a very good price for what you're getting.

If it sounds like I have a lot of gadgets, well, I do...I am the undisputed kitchen gadget queen. Whatever you decide to get, I know you'll enjoy it...and I like the idea that you're giving yourself time to decide whether or not to get this one....good luck.

It is a Jet Stream by Nesco/American Harvest...I absolutely love mine. I need to order a new tension band. Miss having it. I'm on my 4th one since the 1st one bought as a gift for my wedding 18 years ago. It makes awesome crispy french fries...tri-tip roasts are awesome in it...chicken is so moist...yummm...now I really miss it...lol. It is my main source of cooking usually. Really healthy too.
Crazy PreK Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Mssarge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 3,496
Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Thanks...Jet Stream...the most wonderful cooking device ever....for meat lovers that is, although now that I'm into roasting veggies, I wish I had mine back...thanks again.
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
GrannyPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 116
Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Thanks Mary and PreK

I looked for reviews online but I thought it would be better to ask here since we are basically trying to eat low calorie or low carb or both...

I asked DPITAH to pick it up at Aldi's on the way home just in case they run out, and it is sitting in my kitchen until I decide, more than likely by the end of the day... I can't wait to open it...It doesn't look as big as the Nuwave, but I haven't looked inside...

I thought I would use for broiling more...but hopefully it will roast/bake well also..

When I looked for a picture of the JetStream, Sears came up offering parts for it.
It must be an incredible appliance if you don't have to turn things over.


Dawn says she picked up a convection /toaster oven for about the same price, so now it is between those two and about counter-space

Thanks for your help
__________________
Mere
Blame it on the moon
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,819
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
My regular built in oven is a convection/regular oven. I find that baking anything (cookies/pies) really is best on regular, but any pizza, meat dishes or potatoes are fine and in fact much faster.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!
 
KeirasMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 14,168
Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I made pizza on LC tortillas in mine for lunch, just on bake, and they came out great. I'll be doing pork chops tonight, but they are very, very thin, so I'm not sure if I can time it right.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.