Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
Rereading the book....

Came across my JUDDD book while I was cleaning and organizing yesterday. I have glanced at it here and there; but it has been a couple of years since I read it all the way through. Just thought I'd share a quote that stood out to me today. This quote can be found at the end of chapter 2, in case anybody is interested.

Quote:
"Variety may be the spice of life but there is ample science showing the the greater the variety in a diet, the higher the calorie intake. The National Weight Control Registry participants **(who maintained a loss for over 5 years)**have very low levels of variety. Monotony in flavor is helpful in reducing how much you eat. The Shangri-La Diet and The Flavor Point Diet are based on this principle. I suggest that you find 5 recipes of low-calorie-density food that you enjoy and can eat over and over"
wiiiifit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I can't recall reading this. Yep, I kind of skimmed/read the book. I agree with his premise, because when my diet is boring I do eat much less. Hmmm, maybe that is what makes the potato hack so successful!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yep...that's exactly what I was thinking, too. Pro potato hack quotes from the good doctor. lol
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Yes- exactly my point with the celery- I really do like it, but how much can you eat. Sometimes I'm like- so my celery is cut up and ready in the fridge- meh... I'll eat it later. Every DD since May... I chop it up in the morning put it in my lunch bag- bring it to work- and bring it back home. Since May- really- I don't need it, but it's like some kind of safety blanket

I keep saying I'll go to work just 1 DD with out it and always chicken out- but if I've eaten it 3x since May that's a lot- before that I ate it EVERY DD for lunch. My co-workers still call it the celery diet Some of them really seem to think it is all I eat.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Yes- exactly my point with the celery- I really do like it, but how much can you eat. Sometimes I'm like- so my celery is cut up and ready in the fridge- meh... I'll eat it later. Every DD since May... I chop it up in the morning put it in my lunch bag- bring it to work- and bring it back home. Since May- really- I don't need it, but it's like some kind of safety blanket

I keep saying I'll go to work just 1 DD with out it and always chicken out- but if I've eaten it 3x since May that's a lot- before that I ate it EVERY DD for lunch. My co-workers still call it the celery diet Some of them really seem to think it is all I eat.
LOL. Well, it's a good thing this isn't really the celery diet. I would have never made it past day one on that diet. I hate celery.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
hmmm, celery in sack would be enough to quell my appetite.

sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

The co-workers who kinda get the UD/DD thing will say "Is today a celery day?" That is so funny 'cause they haven't actually seen me eat celery in months!!!! It just sits in the lunch bag in the fridge all day.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hmmmmmmm.....food for thought! pun intended. I kinda remember that quote but sort of passed it over without really thinking about it.

I'm another one who loses well with less variety. I've had a bit too much variety lately. Time to reign it in maybe!

Thanks for bringing this up!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
No way I'll ever do a celery hack. Just saying.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I remember the quote. Knew it, believed it, and was glad to see it in the book.

Eating a very set diet most of the time, makes special occasion UD feasts so much more thrilling when they happen.

PS, cook all that left over celery in your soup or broth!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260+/182.2/170-175/5'5/52
WOE: Not low carb, but low crap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Kristin I'm right there with you! I tried celery ONCE that was it for me
Erika1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I've tried to like celery so many times. I want to like it!

I remember way back when in the Oz/Roisin You on a Diet book that they said the same thing--have many rote meals in your pocket because lack of variety can keep one on the straight and narrow to a degree.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
I've tried to like celery so many times. I want to like it!

I remember way back when in the Oz/Roisin You on a Diet book that they said the same thing--have many rote meals in your pocket because lack of variety can keep one on the straight and narrow to a degree.
I was going to say the very same thing. Dr Oz actually says right in his book to eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. There was even a thread on it a while back....I printed out some info from someone who was following it It really worked for her. I am kind of the same way with my food. I love bacon and eggs every single day for breakfast!!! Never tire of that meal
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
I found finally found that pure protein DD take away all the hungries. So I repeat the same menu every DD success so far!!!

Great quote!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I was going to say the very same thing. Dr Oz actually says right in his book to eat the same breakfast and lunch every day. There was even a thread on it a while back....I printed out some info from someone who was following it It really worked for her. I am kind of the same way with my food. I love bacon and eggs every single day for breakfast!!! Never tire of that meal
Me too, Dawn....sometimes I make a low carb pancake with SF syrup but most days its scrambled eggs with a little butter, CO, and cheese and 3 or 4 pieces of bacon. I never get tired of eggs like some people do.

Now on DD's I have a boiled egg with 2 strips of bacon. On UD's I have the scrambled eggs and bacon and add a OMM. I still don't eat many grains so the OMM is still on the menu for me.

And oh, I LOVE celery. When I shop for it i find the lighter colored stalks so they're not bitter. With a little PB or cream cheese....yummmm.

And now, just plain works for me on a DD.

So yeah, having the same meals is a good thing, but also knowing you can have whatever you want sometimes really helps me stick with it.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I tried reading a little more today; but I've come to the section in the book that is all science experiments. I just couldn't power through it at the moment. So, I came here instead. lol
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Thanks. I'd been wondering what to have for lunch.
Scrambled eggs on toast it is!!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Me too, Dawn....sometimes I make a low carb pancake with SF syrup but most days its scrambled eggs with a little butter, CO, and cheese and 3 or 4 pieces of bacon. I never get tired of eggs like some people do.

Now on DD's I have a boiled egg with 2 strips of bacon. On UD's I have the scrambled eggs and bacon and add a OMM. I still don't eat many grains so the OMM is still on the menu for me.

And oh, I LOVE celery. When I shop for it i find the lighter colored stalks so they're not bitter. With a little PB or cream cheese....yummmm.

And now, just plain works for me on a DD.

So yeah, having the same meals is a good thing, but also knowing you can have whatever you want sometimes really helps me stick with it.
Celery hearts- I always buy the celery hearts!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Ditto!! Love my bacon and eggs . . . and chicken wings for lunch most days. LOL
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Celery hearts- I always buy the celery hearts!
Yeah thats it, the hearts...

I get them at Trader Joe's and I'm pretty sure they're even organic.

I try to buy mostly organic and naturally grown foods but sometimes I just go for the cheapest. As I get a comfortable handle on my new WOE I'll be more focused on eating organic. One hurdle at a time!
JayLynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Celery tastes so bitter to me. I can usually eat the hearts. Hehe.. that sounds so queen-in-the Snow White saga. Oh wait, she doesn't eat the hearts, she squeezes them to dust.

I definitely think there is something to not going whole hog when you stick to your same meals over and over. The times I get into "trouble" are when I experiment with a fun new recipe. I handled the HCG plan pretty well because it was the same boring stuff over and over.

Maybe I will go back to eating some regular set meals over and over for awhile and see if that helps contain me a bit.

Thanks for posting this reminder. I forgot about it.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I think for some people, this just naturally evolves. I'm such a "foodie" that if you said to me, pick 5 recipes and that's it, I'd freak out.

But honestly? on DDs, I either stirfry coleslaw, or boil radishes, or have a big lettuce salad. Grilled/broiled meat, and that's it.

Even on Atkins-- especially for week days-- maybe a quiche recipe or something, but mostly, grill/broil meat, and some sort of high fat dessert if anything.

I do think that venturing into "interesting" recipes, lots of desserts, etc-- is where I wound up eating too many calories on LC and deleting the metabolic calorie advantage.

So now, i get my "variety" with my teas, and try to leave it at that usually, until we go out and have a big blowout meal. But at least that's out, and not in the house with several servings/leftovers to want to mow through

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I have a very large collection of diet books and many of them have the boredom idea somehwere in their plan. I personally go for boredom so that is probably why I love the potato diet thing. no thinking, no elaborate preparations. Just boil and eat.
Also read somewhere about bland being better since food that tastes great makes us automatically want more.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I agree. how much better salt akee everything taste better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I have a very large collection of diet books and many of them have the boredom idea somehwere in their plan. I personally go for boredom so that is probably why I love the potato diet thing. no thinking, no elaborate preparations. Just boil and eat.
Also read somewhere about bland being better since food that tastes great makes us automatically want more.
Which if I don't have a handle on it, turns out bad. Too tasty!
My grandmother embrodried a small article, think it was for my grandfather to notice. She hung it it the kitchen window.
It said
"Eat to live - Not live to eat"
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Celery
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote