Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Your experience with antibiotics . . .

I went to the dr. this morning for a possible joint infection, or it may be gout. Anyway, he prescribed antibiotics. It will be my first time taking antibiotics while trying to lose weight.

It seems I've read on these boards that antibiotics can mess with weight loss. What has your experience been?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Ouch! Hope they help you feel better, and it's nothing serious. Can't help with the antibiotics question, but just wanted to lend .
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I think infection, with it's inflammation, is probably a bigger culprit in stalling. But that's just opinion, I've been on antibiotics just once since I started JUDDDing, and that was in South Africa a continent away from my scale. So I have no clue how it affected anything.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm not sure how it affected my weight, but the last time I was on a round of antibiotics, it did a number on my stomach!! I suggest taking probiotics along with your meds. I thought I was going to die from the "bad" bacteria in my tummy that had started flourishing when I killed all the good stuff with the antibiotics. It was a nightmare and took over a month to get better.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I Agee that any weight gain or stall is probably from the inflammation. Hope you feel better soon.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Last time I took antibiotics I retained a lot of water. I hope you feel better!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Oh my, hon! ! I really hope you get to feeling better soon. I'm not entirely sure of the outcome with antibiotics but I'd think it'd be a YMMV type a thing as everyone is different? Just wanted to send hugs for a speedy fix! Wow, an infection all the way to gout? That's a big stretch, no? My sister has gout... what a rollercoaster. I really hope things get fixed quickly so you can keep on moving and not slow down, you are rockin the losses!!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #8

Looks like an infection, but it's localized to a joint in my finger. I get uric acid kidney stones, so I have the same condition which causes gout, so he's testing for both. He put me on antibiotics "just to be safe" until he gets my blood tests back.

Ugh.

Thanks for the responses! We shall see what happens.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Antibiotics do a major number on your innards. They indiscriminately wipe out the good stuff with the bad. This, along with inflammation, can upset your tummy and disrupt weight loss.

After a few days of antibiotics, I find I need to keep bland food in my tummy...this can also play havoc with weight. I usually end up living on naked saltines.

Hey, this may be a good time to consider the potato hack?

Probiotics replace some of the good stuff and both help stabilize your innards and help with healing. If you can take them, do. Really do. I usually take probiotics an hour after each antibiotic dose...then again several more times in between doses. I take pills and eat yogurt with as many different live cultures as I can find (hint: greek yogurt usually seems to have the most live stuff).

Sympathies and I hope you get well soon!!!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Yogurt and probiotics! Also, things to keep your PH alkaline...lemon water in the morning, and apple cider vinegar (I take tablets) help with that.

I hope you feel better soon! Gout is very painful (if that is what it is) - make sure to hydrate!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #11

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hope your finger joint gets back to normal soon. Can't offer anything as to the antibiotics as it's been several years since I've taken anything. Sorry this is happening to you.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Antibiotics do a major number on your innards. They indiscriminately wipe out the good stuff with the bad. This, along with inflammation, can upset your tummy and disrupt weight loss.

After a few days of antibiotics, I find I need to keep bland food in my tummy...this can also play havoc with weight. I usually end up living on naked saltines.

Hey, this may be a good time to consider the potato hack?

Probiotics replace some of the good stuff and both help stabilize your innards and help with healing. If you can take them, do. Really do. I usually take probiotics an hour after each antibiotic dose...then again several more times in between doses. I take pills and eat yogurt with as many different live cultures as I can find (hint: greek yogurt usually seems to have the most live stuff).

Sympathies and I hope you get well soon!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD80 View Post
Yogurt and probiotics! Also, things to keep your PH alkaline...lemon water in the morning, and apple cider vinegar (I take tablets) help with that.

I hope you feel better soon! Gout is very painful (if that is what it is) - make sure to hydrate!
Thanks everyone. It's not too bad and I'm hoping for a quick turnaround. What's funny is I went to the store this morning for today's meals. I normally just do chili for lunch and veggies for dinner on a DD, but I was CRAVING some items. Greek yogurt for breakfast, cucumber with tuna and ACV for both lunch and dinner! Isn't that funny with your suggestions? I started the antibiotics last night, and my body is telling me what it needs. I often crave braunschweiger during TOM, and I'm thinking that's an iron issue.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks everyone. It's not too bad and I'm hoping for a quick turnaround. What's funny is I went to the store this morning for today's meals. I normally just do chili for lunch and veggies for dinner on a DD, but I was CRAVING some items. Greek yogurt for breakfast, cucumber with tuna and ACV for both lunch and dinner! Isn't that funny with your suggestions? I started the antibiotics last night, and my body is telling me what it needs. I often crave braunschweiger during TOM, and I'm thinking that's an iron issue.
Totally weird, but cool! It is great that you are so in tune with your body!
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Unfortunately I have had to deal with antibiotics off and on for at least 20 years. I don't find that they interfere with the weight loss, but the inflammation from whatever is going on retains water.

Like the other wise JB's on here, I do highly recommend probiotics. When you wipe out all the bacteria in your system, it can be problematical. I take mine just how Nancy described. I also drink kefir, and I eat raw sauerkraut and kim chi. I only use the sauerkraut and kim chi you find in the cold refrigerated section of the store, and I eat little bits throughout the day to replenish my system. I get a sauerkraut called Bubbie's and it is just fermented cabbage. It has been very helpful to me when I take the antibiotics and easy to take on a down day as it is low calorie.

Here's a little blurb that explains it-

Sauerkraut and Kim chi are the probiotic vegetable version of yogurt and kefir. Where yogurt and kefir are created by culturing beneficial bacteria in milk, sauerkraut and Kim chi are created by culturing beneficial bacteria in grated cabbage and other sliced vegetables. The bacteria grow as they ferment the natural sugars within the produce, creating a stable pH medium of lactic acid. These good bacteria accompanied by lactic acid enhance the growth of flora within our intestine, offering an abundance of benefits.

Best wishes for rapid healing!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #15

Thanks Beverly. I have some Kefir at home, but I don't have any kim chi. I love it, but haven't had any since my thyroid diagnosis because I read raw cabbage is bad. However, my endo said I don't have to be so strict, and the fermentation probably negates the "raw" aspect.

I have been absolutely starving since starting the antibiotics. I don't know if it's all in my head, or what, but I normally have DDs in the 200-300 calorie range. Yesterday, my DD was shaping up to end up around 380! Then . . . I ate kettle chips. On a DD! I never mess up my DDs. The only saving grace is that I stopped myself at 521 for the day. That's about double what I normally take in!

Today, I've already had my normal UD breakfast and I'm still hungry.

Labs came back normal, so the doctor thinks it's just an infection. The finger is not healing that I can tell. I ended up using a sterile syringe last night to try to drain it. Sorry if it's TMI. If anything, it seems worse this morning. It's so swollen, it keeps dislocating, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Oh well, enough whining.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sauerkraut and Kim chi and other cultured/pickled veggies are supposed to do all kinds of good things for health. Hmm, have to add that to my shopping list.

Dawn, an infection that deep is not going to heal quickly. And, part of your hunger is probably your body demanding extra and quality energy to use in fighting (we will reserve comment on 'quality chips' ).

You are not able to eat CO, are you? Can you put it on the finger? It sounds like you need big guns working for you (antibiotics). But, in the past I have seen CO do some amazing things for me and my family.

Soaking in warm epsom salt water, or warm ACV water may help a bit too.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #17

Thanks for the info Nancy. I've been using peroxide and antibiotic ointment, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I can eat CO, but don't often just because the calories affect me--drat! I have some at home and will start using it topically as part of my arsenal.

I'm considering moving up to maintenance calories while I heal. I've been remarkably healthy since starting JUDDD, so I think this is hitting me hard. I was beginning to think I was invincible. I feel a bit feverish today too, but will verify when I get home. At least I'm not freezing. There IS a silver lining!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #18

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Gosh Dawn, that sounds really painful! I don't have any suggestions, but I feel for you and am hoping it clears up as quickly as possible!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #19

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Poor Dawn, it isn't like you to have trouble on DDs. Hope this clears up soon.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Big ol' hugs Dawn!

My baby brother has gout something terrible, and I told him that I read ACV was a great help with gout. So he bought the ACV tablets and he said that he hasn't had any attacks since!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Oh, Dawn- that sounds aweful and painful! If it's super painful maybe he can give you some rx pain killers. I'm use to my type of pain, but a terribly infected finger would really get to me & ! I was kinda thinking that I've been invincable since JUDDDing, too. (knock on wood) I haven't been sick in forever!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Oh no.
How did u hurt ur finger?
Sorry if uv'e explained it already.
I haven't had anti b or years myself.
Our rule in our house is if ur sick/hurt.
Eat/drink what ever and lick ur wounds.
Good luck.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #23

Stupid paper cut of all things. I don't even have a good story to go with it! I think I'm heading out for some epsom salts in a bit. Nothing else seems to be helping.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Dawn, that sounds so painful!! I hope with all the different home remedies & the antibiotic, something works to make your finger feel better! My oldest son has gout & takes medication daily & he has to watch what he eats(he's just like the rest of the family.....he watches his food alright, going right into his mouth!)

I don't have any info on antibioitics with weight loss. I've been on so many medications the last few years that I wouldn't notice anything anyway!
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote