Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Potato calories?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790172-potato-calories.html)

Debrat3 11-27-2012 12:09 PM

Potato calories??

I just google calories in potatoes. If a large potato is 258 calories I looked up the weight on a scale to be sure it said it was 300.0g. So I went one step further and that came to 300=10.58 oz. Does that seem like alot of potato? Maybe once you put it on the scale its not as much as it sounds? Just want to be sure I got this right before I eat one.

SoHappy 11-27-2012 12:15 PM

Well, a whole pound of potatoes is about 470 calories. Try to see in your head how five piles of potatoes would look like if you divided up a 5-pound bag of potatoes into separate piles on your kitchen counter.

The potato you are describing, over 10 oz, is a very large potato! I don't think any of the bags I bring home from the grocery contain potatoes of that size!

KeirasMom 11-27-2012 12:25 PM

I got 90 calories for 4 oz. of russet potatoes. My smaller/almost medium sized russets are right around 4 oz. if that gives you a visual.

sorenkkg 11-27-2012 12:35 PM

when I looked up potato on an online calorie counter that I trust, I got 1oz = 26 cal

so 10oz would be about 260 cal. You got 300, which is pretty close. Maybe there's some varietal variations, skin/no skin, not sure.

KeirasMom 11-27-2012 12:55 PM

Sheesh, how are we supposed to know? Grr.

mom23kids 11-27-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16102794)
Sheesh, how are we supposed to know? Grr.

try doing it without a scale :p :laugh: I'm just estimating by size and calling it good. We'll see what happens at tomorrow morning's weight in :confused:

Librarygirl 11-27-2012 03:26 PM

I found a postal scale that I had given bf for xmas 2 years ago! :D My LARGE potato I had not eaten yet (and was only going to eat half) weighs 1.4 lbs!!!! ahahahahahahah!:hyst::hyst:

ouizoid 11-27-2012 03:29 PM

It may be that this hack only works if you forget DD/UD--and just eat taters for a number of days--not sure!

SoHappy 11-27-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16103067)
It may be that this hack only works if you forget DD/UD--and just eat taters for a number of days--not sure!

I eat potatoes in several ways pretty often, but only on Up Days. It's a new possibility for me to think of them as a possible Down Day food as well.

I've had a baked potato with yogurt instead of sour cream this morning, potato salad with celery, onion, and pickle relish for lunch, and the stuffed cheesy/bacon potato skins for supper, so a very potato day, and absolutely delicious.

I'll be interested to see what the morning brings when I step on the scale.

Librarygirl 11-27-2012 03:46 PM

Seem too calorie dense and not satisfying enough for me. :( I've had, now, three potatoes...well, eating my last one and have gone over calories (including coffee and cream)...don't see how I could have eaten less and been happy.

I've eaten mine with nothing but 0 cal spray butter and salt/pepper. It's amazing you were able to eat that well and within calorie range, Nancy! I must be doing something wrong, lol.

TryingJudd 11-27-2012 04:31 PM

My large baking potato was 15 oz (uncooked) and about 6 inches long - a standard restaurant size potato, not really huge but almost a pound. 390 calories. I have had half so far today with S&P and some broth. I will have the other half when I get home. I am hungry.....

adillenal 11-27-2012 04:54 PM

I had 8 oz of tater for lunch and was perfectly satisfied but then DD's and I get along. Ud's are my problem.

Librarygirl 11-27-2012 05:02 PM

I have never dieted for any length of time my entire life. I am totally not used to deprivation and don't really find hunger "fun". :D I also don't like when I'm over-full, but I have always been a big eater, even when I was small...people at work called me Mikey, when I weighed 120 lbs and it was cute. ;) Not so cute when you weigh 200 lbs, lol. I am surviving on so much less than I ever thought possible on DD's, but can't imagine having less than 100 calories...or even less than 500...I really hope I can eventually *enjoy* DD's. Right now they're something to get through.

Debrat3 11-27-2012 08:29 PM

I found the potato day to be less satisfying than my cabbage and laughing cow dish. BUT...if this helps the scale move I would do it more often for sure. I put salsa on top of my taters ,very good!

Librarygirl 11-28-2012 04:08 AM

It will be a long time before I attempt potato day again. :D Still haven't weighed today, but if it's less than a 5 lb loss, I'm ditching the potato diet.:hyst:

adillenal 11-28-2012 04:45 AM

I dropped almost 3 pounds after my DD yesterday below my usual weight after a DD so I am going to keep going and give an UD a whirl with potatoes. Wasn't bad at all but I ate double my usual DD calories too. Had 400.

b_lou_who 11-28-2012 07:05 AM

I found 148g gold potatoes with skin are 90cal.

KeirasMom 11-28-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16103819)
It will be a long time before I attempt potato day again. :D Still haven't weighed today, but if it's less than a 5 lb loss, I'm ditching the potato diet.:hyst:

This is how I feel too. I lost 2 pounds, but I was due for that loss (at least) anyway, getting rid of the holiday bloat. Did the potatoes help? Maybe. My normal menu is less calories and more satisfying though.