Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: 269.5/245.2/150
WOE: LC/Mod Protein/HF
Start Date: This time: 8/11/14
Anyone with GERD/Heartburn notice improvements on JUDDD?

I had minor success controlling my symptoms on LC, but wonder if JUDDD will help them even more. Any reports, negative or positive? Thanks!
dipgal is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I have stopped using heartburn meds, which I used to take every day for years. I stopped taking them when I tapered back on alcohol, because that seemed to be the culprit. However, I haven't needed them on JUDDD so it might be good for it too.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Me! I was dx with barrett's esophagus years ago. I HAVE. TO. HAVE my GERD meds every morning or I will be in pain within an hour or so of missing them.

Last week it was mid afternoon before I realized I had not taken my PPI. <THUD> Now, when I was close to goal on SB, I was able to reduce my meds, but never not take a morning dose. Needless to say, I'm very interested to see what's going to happen as I continue eating this way. We'll figure it out together, ok?
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I saw definite improvements on LC and JUDDD. Like Flutter, I sometimes forget to take my meds for hours. This continued after I started eating any- and every-thing on JUDDD.

.... BTW Fluttter, CONGRATULATIONS! That is amazing and marvelous. If you can, puh-lease post that miracle on the NSV thread! ...

I have reduced those meds a lot...and keep dropping them gradually. I have also been experimenting with individual foods. Some forms of grain and some prepared foods still hit me hard.

Tragically, Wendy's Chili (which I love and which is a mainstay around these parts) is a guaranteed six hour acid reflux attack for me...I wonder what they put in it that I should never eat?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-27-2012 at 03:56 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I saw definite improvements on LC and JUDDD. Like Flutter, I sometimes forget to take my meds for hours. This continued after I started eating any- and every-thing on JUDDD.

.... BTW Fluttter, CONGRATULATIONS! That is amazing and marvelous. If you can, puh-lease post that miracle on the NSV thread! ...

I have reduced those meds a lot...and keep dropping them gradually. I have also been experimenting with individual foods. Some forms of grain and some prepared foods still hit me hard.

Tragically, Wendy's Chili (which I love and which is a mainstay around these parts) is a guaranteed six hour acid reflux attack for me...I wonder what they put in it that I should never eat?
Thanks! I'm sorry Wendy's chili is so bad on you! I loooooooove their chili, too. For me, I am sure there will always be certain foods that trigger heartburn & other reflux issues for me, too. (one was my salmon patty for dinner last night. UGH did that haunt me!)

I am so tickled you're able to reduce your meds,too! I'll go ahead and post on that thread in a bit!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
My acid reflux is GONE! I think the weight loss is the reason, more than JUDDD per se, but GONE, and it was really bad. I was taking medicine for it almost daily, if not everyday. Now, it has been at least 6 mos or more since I've had it.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carly, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you!!!!!!!! What a huge, huge relief that is!!!!!!! Woohoooo!!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Eliminates my heart burn on DD's, but still get it sometimes on UD's, depends what I've eaten and how late
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I used to have horrible reflux and was taking daily Prilosec. It stopped, but it was before JUDDD. I had a lot of health problems when we lived in our old house and almost all of them stopped when we moved. That house was newer than our current house and had no mold or anything, so I'm not sure what the issue was, but I improved immediately when we moved. Now I rarely get reflux and when I do, it lasts for a short amount of time and I'm back to normal. I don't really see any correlation with the foods I eat (including my beloved Wendy's chili!), but we all know I'm an anomaly. I eat tons of spicy food, coffee, dairy -- all the things that are supposed to be hard on the stomach.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
i was able to control it with LC but not with JUDDD. i think its because i depend on coffee to get me through my DD's, and coffee is a trigger for me.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Now see, I love, love, LOVE my coffee and somehow I don't get heartburn from it. I cannot drink my beloved iced or hot tea anymore, though. I can't drink WATER, either. Can you believe that gives me horrible heartburn? Just a SIP OR TWO even. My Dh got me to try some sobe water just as I started JUDDD earlier this month and so far I've managed to drink that just fine. Not sure what to make of that...but it's nice to have something else to drink!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I found with LC, my heartburn went away entirely.

Now, I only get it when I go offplan. So how does Juddd factor in?

No heartburn when I JUDDD on plan. sometimes I have carbs, sometimes I'm very LC, but the occaisional sushi dinner doesn't cause me heartburn.

I just had 2 weeks away at an all-inclusive resort. Did not JUDDD, or LC, or anything. Just ate and drank my face off.

And SUFFERED

so I don't know if it's the carbs, or just volume of food, or a combination, but when I'm on plan, I don't have any issues.
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I just started JUDDD yesterday, and today is my first DD. I have had NO heartburn today.. I did have it yesterday on an UD. I also have had very little fat or protein today. Although I know the absence of starchy carbs to ferment in the digestive tract is a big help to GERD, for me I think it may be fat and protein. Oh, and wine... We'll see!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #14

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Had a spicy batch of chili the other night and had to take two antacids. And that's when it struck me--I haven't taken an antacid at all for at least the past two months. Might be longer, but two months ago we moved out of the house and I quit having in on my bedside table, so I know for sure it's been at least this long.

And I used to wake up a couple times a week gasping for breath because of the reflux. I was taking Prilosec for it for a while there. And now, virtually no heartburn at all.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #15

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
For the many who have the weak connection, reflux may always be a problem, regardless of how you eat. But, I think JUDDD can certainly minimize that. And even when a person experiences reflux, if stomach acid isn't as strong, there isn't that uncomfortable burning, which is also dangerous to your esophagus if it happens a lot.

Some folks are just always going to be overly sensitive to foods that have chili spicing, or condensed tomato, like in a bowl of chili. Some may always experience some heartburn after certain foods or beverages, and if you're sensitive.. you may always have to go easy on those foods that cause you tummy issues. A high fat day causes me problems.. nausea and reflux often.

But one of the biggest things that will help is weight loss. The slimmer we get, the less we seem to experience the reflux issue, so stomach acid stays down there where it belongs and it doesn't cause us discomfort. And JUDDD can certainly bring about the fat loss, so for most of us, it's only a matter of time and weight loss success!

I used to have to take prescription Prilosec twice a day. Now rarely go through a spell when it's needed. Weight loss was the biggest help.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
When I switched to low carb, my acid reflux and indigestion disappeared. I gave up all grains and legumes and all sweeteners and keep net carbs in the 10-20 something range and eat very clean (cook pretty much everything from scratch). I don't know which of those factors helped most, though I suspect giving up grains had the biggest effect, since I didn't eat much sugar before. I don't seem to have any digestion problems eating lots of fat on my up days (getting 70-80 percent of calories from fat), but that's not true for everyone.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #17

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I agree that this seems to be a kinda' individual thing, as to what folks can eat and what gives them trouble. Too much fat GAKS me out, and carbs 'settle my tummy'.. but so did soda crackers when I was ill or having morning sickness years ago.

This must be another YMMV thing.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i am also one of the lucky ones I used to have to control my Reflux with Prilocec and since JUDDD i notice i dint require it any more! I have been Reflux free now for almost 8 months and i love it~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Whitlin'
Start Date: March, 2009
Hurray, JUDDDers without acid reflux! I think I know why it helps us.

First, JUDDD offers the stomach a break - regularly occurring days of usually small meals (although everyone works it differently and some may save all calories for one meal). The pressure is lessened, the meals are easier to digest just because they are moderate.

Second, if you usually finish up your DD calories with supper, you also don't eat anything in the hours before bed, which is the perfect lifestyle change for acid reflux sufferers.

Then, as weight loss starts, like with any weight loss as Carly mentioned, the pressure on the esophageal sphincter eases further. (literally, your belly isn't pressing up as much).

If anyone is coming off of Proton Pump Inhibitors, remember there is a well-documented "rebound effect" called rebound acid hypersecretion that can start a flood of acid and a lot of pain when the medicine is stopped, so quit it gradually. Everybody's different, but I had to work with my doctor (well, the work was mine) and come off Nexium over a 6-week period using the powder form so I could measure out a little less each week. Otherwise, the pain was terrible. I still found the prescription easily available at my pharmacy, it just came in packets of powder.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I was on Proton Pump Inhibitors AND whatever the other kind of tummy pills are called. Twice a day for five years. On doctor's orders.

Soon after starting JUDDD I took PPI down to once a day. No rebound, just stopped the evening pill.

Then, a few months ago, I started having classic and yucky wheat/gluten reactions. So, I stopped all wheat/gluten (JUDDD sure makes it easier to change eating habits).

Within a week of stopping, I forgot to take my PPI one morning...and have not had one since. No rebound (which happened every other time I tried to quit).

A month or so ago something happened and I ate some wheat/gluten. No acid reflux. No classic reaction. Nothing beyond 'Wow, that was good!"

I don't know what happened or why. I did start drinking bone broth every single day during the wheat interregnum...there are anecdotal reports that it helps GERD. And I was having a lot of other problems that culminated in having a hernia repaired a few weeks after I resumed wheat with no side of PPI.

Whatever. I still sometimes take the other kind of pill - after eating - so I still have some trouble foods to identify (like Wendy's chili). But, I sure have a happy tummy these days!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-29-2012 at 11:09 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
For me meat and fat are triggers. I think because fat slows digestion, meat takes longer to digest anyway, so it all stays in my stomach longer...

That is why LC/EFGT was no longer working for me. So sad.

Since JUDDD is a healing plan, I believe that GERD is on the list....

My experience; The longer I JUDDD the better it gets. Unfortunately, that keeps me needing a pretty regular rotation of 3 day/wk.

BUT, chili, Wendy's or my own homemade bean free or any other is a trigger.....not coffee or alcohol, thank goodness.
I'm still trying to decide what other items might be involved.

JUDDD sure controls it better.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the helpful responses! I haven't needed an Otc acid reducer since Monday. And have forgotten to take my digestive enzymes. This is great!!!