Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
A DD Hack

Hello my lovely JUDDD-BUDDs

I don't know how many of you ever read the forum over at Mark's Daily Apple, but a number of people have been doing a "Primal Potato Diet" with remarkable results. Like 10 pounds lost in two weeks.

Because it is ***, they have any number of microbiologic ideas about what is happening, but the gist of it is that potatoes and only potatoes with no fat at all seems to make insulin peak, and because the liver needs fat to break down the insulin, and because the diet is providing no fat at all, the body pulls its own fat stores out to process the insulin. Something about eating starch (it isn't about carbs per se, it is about starch if I read it all correctly) in the absence of fat causing a mobilization of fat stores.

Plus, potatoes appear to provide a supreme kind of satiation when eaten on their own without fat (salt pepper broth vinegar ketchup and other nonfat toppings are fine). PLUS my blood sugar isn't doing the kind of rollercoaster ride with taters that it does with other carbs.

Potatoes are considered primal--and even though they are all anti-carb over at ***, they believe Grok would have had times when he ate nothing but tubers for a couple of weeks. So, they see this as a primal hack--and I will say that people over there who were stuck at a weight that wouldn't budge have lost significant weight.

JUDDD is just such a hack! Eating well every other day is entirely consistent with Grok. So, my thinking was, well--if he didn't have meat to eat, maybe he would go for some tubers on his DD's, lol!

I read all 100 pages of their threads (3 main threads) and thought to meself, Well, what a nice hack for a DD!

I will tell you that 500 calories of boiled potatoes and malt vinegar is WAY more satiating than my other DD foods have been. I have been eating them Pat's way (50 cals worth of potato and malt vinegar every hour from 10-7.

Right now I am doing a week of potatoes only, UDs and DDs. I have lost 4 lbs in the last 3 days--some of which was probably thanksgiving bloat--but what I am digging is the lack of hunger and the lack of cravings. A bit boring to be sure, but I am ok with that. I'll probably resume regular UD/DDs soon, but I am enjoying this hack and thought some of you would be interested.

If you want to read about it on ***, the first long (65 pgs!) thread is called Eat Moar Taters, and then there are a couple of "potato diet" threads that get into the "science" such as it is.

Ouis

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Very interesting, Ouiz. You've had some exciting success with this, and I'll be watching to see how you continue to do. Please keep posting your results!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I love potatoes! (no butter and sour cream might be hard). I might try this next down day just to see ... I like the filling aspect of it for a DD too. Can't wait to see what happens with the rest of your experiment.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Now I'm thinking about potatoes lol. I'll have to head over to *** and check out the threads-I wonder if you could get away with using spray 'butter', like ICBNB spray? I've got the kind with evoo and 5 sprays has 0 fat/0 carbs/0 protein. It does have 15mg of sodium though, if that matters
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

there are a number of ways to make plain taters pretty awesome. I shredded some, heated my waffle iron up reallllly hot, and made crispy tater waffles which were awesome with some sf ketchup.

I made tater soup with shredded taters, chicken broth, lots of spices and blended with the immersion blender.

I put shredded taters in some mini-cupcake pans and baked until crispy

I made tater wedges and tossed with 1 tsp coconut oil and baked until brown and ate with ketchup.

I stewed a bunch of little yukon golds in my crockpot with some beef broth and ate with some malt vinegar.

Gotta get creative if you are only eating taters, ha!

It is a hack, just a hack. but it is a hack that just kills my appetite and is blasting off some fat, so I am going with it for awhile.

The nice thing about taters is that they have a complete protein profile, fat, carbs, and a ton of micronutrients, according to the *** wonks. So, if you were going to do a single food diet, taters are way better than cabbage soup or bananas, lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
What's "taters", precious?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
What's "taters", precious?

Ouizoid, thank you for posting this -- very intriguing! And kudos on your losses with it!

I'm sitting here thinking that mashed spuds using FF buttermilk would work, and even loaded baked potatoes with FF sour cream, chives, steamed broccoli, etc.

This sounds like a great go-to hack if/when a stall occurs.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 11-26-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Ouizoid! I love *** and learn a lot from reading there. I do remember reading something about this, but did not pay much attention.

I actually have had a baked potato for DD before, though I had sprinkled cheddar on it. I wonder if this works only w/ potatoes or if it would work with other tubers? Have you tried a sweet potato or radishes?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
there are a number of ways to make plain taters pretty awesome. I shredded some, heated my waffle iron up reallllly hot, and made crispy tater waffles which were awesome with some sf ketchup.

I made tater soup with shredded taters, chicken broth, lots of spices and blended with the immersion blender.

I put shredded taters in some mini-cupcake pans and baked until crispy

I made tater wedges and tossed with 1 tsp coconut oil and baked until brown and ate with ketchup.

I stewed a bunch of little yukon golds in my crockpot with some beef broth and ate with some malt vinegar.

Gotta get creative if you are only eating taters, ha!

It is a hack, just a hack. but it is a hack that just kills my appetite and is blasting off some fat, so I am going with it for awhile.

The nice thing about taters is that they have a complete protein profile, fat, carbs, and a ton of micronutrients, according to the *** wonks. So, if you were going to do a single food diet, taters are way better than cabbage soup or bananas, lol.
I'm going through the *** thread now-might have to get some potatoes later today for my DD tomorrow

eta: just realized how many calories potatoes have in them-hmmmm, will keep reading the *** thread, I'm on page 6 lol.

Last edited by mom23kids; 11-26-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
This is interesting.

There was some guy in US, I believe he was something todo with Potato marketing, lost 60 lbs on a potato only diet, and all his health markers improved.

3,000 Kcals of spuds on a UD is a lot of Potato! could be fun....
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a sweet potato one night. I was down another pound the next day.

Here is the thing about taters. They are SO satiating, that it gets hard to eat more by the end of the day. I am committed to a week of taters only after reading ***, and I am not bored or craving, but I really really have a hard time eating more, so my UD calories are a bit hard to target. I kind of have to force myself by the end of the day.

I see this as an ongoing hack --like maybe a week or so of taters only once a month, and then seeing about using taters as a DD food. It depends on how it all keeps going.

The original Potato Diet guy lost 22 lbs in 6 weeks of taters only and radically changed all his cholesterol numbers (and stopped snoring!--which started back up after he resumed normal eating).

I'll keep y'all posted
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Established

On page 13, only 86 more pages for the initial potato thread and then I need to read the spin off threads yet But, it's really fascinating reading people's results start to come in and some of them are losing quite a bit of weight. I'm leaning towards trying this-not only because of the weight loss potential, but also because of the simplicity of it. I'm finding UDs to be quite challenging right now and this would allow me 'coast' for a few days If I decided to do a tater 'fast' I don't know that this week would be a good time to start-Wednesday night we're going out for pizza to celebrate my mil being done with radiation and then Friday night we're going to Logans to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. But, maybe next week!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_W View Post
I'm sitting here thinking that mashed spuds using FF buttermilk would work, and even loaded baked potatoes with FF sour cream, chives, steamed broccoli, etc.
"The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper." --otzi, on ***

(Reading down the thread a bit, broth seems to be acceptable.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I wonder if this works only w/ potatoes or if it would work with other tubers? Have you tried a sweet potato or radishes?
They're saying it could also work with rice.
Something about the amino acid profiles in potatoes and rice...which might not be present in other tubers.

I like this idea.
This may sound strange, but DDs are most appealing to me when I think of eating only one food all day long.
When I think of trying to make low-fat versions of other foods, or spicing up watery soups & yucky ol' skinless chicken breast (I LIKE THIGHS! WITH SKIN!!!! ), I actually feel a little nauseated. Not just cuz I'm a spoiled brat, but large amounts of vegetables, cooked or raw, do make me sick, especially if I eat them without fat. (Smaller amounts with a bit of cheese, olive oil, walnuts...okay!)

In my vegetarian hippie days, I occasionally used to do juice fasting, and had (still have) many friends who fast & do "The Master Cleanse". One way of preparing for a fast, or doing a modified fast, is with a "mono diet"...just eating one food. Brown rice was recommended...miso broth could be included as a "condiment".
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
"The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper." --otzi, on ***
Oh, pout!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is my tried & true recipe for Sugarfree Ketchup! Compliments of SpoonfulofSugarfree.

I am thinking about just doing this on DDs only. I will let you know if it is a keeper!

Ingredients

12 oz. tomato paste
4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon mustard
1/4 cup+2 Tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions

Combine all ingredients and whisk until combined. You may wish to blend in order to ensure the spices are evenly mixed throughout.
It is best to let the ketchup sit together in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight, before serving so that the flavors blend together well.
Store in an airtight container in fridge.

Notes

Check the ingredients of your tomato paste. The only item listed should be tomatoes.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 11-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Established

Quote:

Something about the amino acid profiles in potatoes and rice...which might not be present in other tubers.

I like this idea.
This may sound strange, but DDs are most appealing to me when I think of eating only one food all day long.
When I think of trying to make low-fat versions of other foods, or spicing up watery soups & yucky ol' skinless chicken breast (I LIKE THIGHS! WITH SKIN!!!! ), I actually feel a little nauseated. Not just cuz I'm a spoiled brat, but large amounts of vegetables, cooked or raw, do make me sick, especially if I eat them without fat. (Smaller amounts with a bit of cheese, olive oil, walnuts...okay!)

In my vegetarian hippie days, I occasionally used to do juice fasting, and had (still have) many friends who fast & do "The Master Cleanse". One way of preparing for a fast, or doing a modified fast, is with a "mono diet"...just eating one food. Brown rice was recommended...miso broth could be included as a "condiment".
Spraying your frying pan with PAM spray wouldn't affect anything would it?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #17

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Marking my spot. I don't think I'd want to do this for a whole week or more, but it might be interesting to try it for a DD and see what happens. I haven't gone over to *** yet, but wonder if doing it just every other day would be beneficial, or if having a regular UD would undo the good done on the DD?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

I am thinking this is a fun experiment! I only ask about the sweet potato, because it is lower in calories and carbs than a potato. And I them! Plus I have a bunch in the pantry.

Just wondering...would we need to do this for consecutive days in order to see the benefits? It sounds like Ouizoid did this for a week straight? Is that right?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Marking my spot. I don't think I'd want to do this for a whole week or more, but it might be interesting to try it for a DD and see what happens. I haven't gone over to *** yet, but wonder if doing it just every other day would be beneficial, or if having a regular UD would undo the good done on the DD?
We were thinking the same thoughts! I would love to know as well!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
PAM is oil. They're saying no fat.

I'd say, if you're going to try it, try it *without* PAM first. Then add it in, and if it stops working for you, you know it's the PAM and not the taters!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I used the CO baking spray during the "zero fat" stage of protocol and it worked fine.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
PAM is oil. They're saying no fat.

I'd say, if you're going to try it, try it *without* PAM first. Then add it in, and if it stops working for you, you know it's the PAM and not the taters!
Hey Jen, if you go to Lowfat cooking on about.com, it says this about PAM...

The small print says "For fat-free cooking," but that works only if you are skilled enough to limit your spray to the stated serving size of a "1/4 second spray." Elsewhere on the can, it states that a one second spray covers a 10-inch skillet, so four times the serving size. This one-second spray would push the fat content over 0.5g, which means the nutrition facts label couldn't round it down to 0g of fat. Few of us limit ourselves to a one-second spray, however. Most of us spray for two or three seconds, and some of us longer than that, just to make sure! In the scheme of things, we're still talking about relatively small amounts of fat, but the serving size on the can suggests a loophole is being used to make a specific claim.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I apologize because I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet, so hopefully this isn't a repeat . . . but I'm so excited as I have been contemplating this as a DD tactic too!!!

Have you read Richard Nikoley's recent experiments over at Free the Animal? While he is a brash sort and some find him offensive, he has some great recent posts showing how he prepares his potatoes. His rule is no more than 1 tsp fat per medium potato and he shows how he makes hash browns in a waffle iron/foreman grill and fries in a wok keeping to that 1 tsp added fat rubric.

I'm totally going to give this a go and, in fact, bought a 5 lb bag of potatoes yesterday. LOL!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
i cant get to the *** site right now. on my cell phone and it wont load. so going by what you are all posting. i think i will try this on DDs only for a week and see what happens. i have a 50lb sack of taters in my pantry now. it cant hurt, and this sounds quite interesting! i also have a jar of malt vinegar that would make it perfect!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #25
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I just bought my potatoes and I'm going to try it tomorrow for my DD (and maybe all my DD's this week?), I'll let you know how it goes I'm also having a potato for lunch today, since I'm now craving potatoes But today's potato will be loaded so not with the potato fast plan
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #26

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Now I'd do this if I could have fried potatoes on my UDs,
Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Now I'd do this if I could have fried potatoes on my UDs,
Look at my post, Cindy!!

I am totally going to do the 1 tsp fat per potato hack that "Free the Animal" Richard does and see how they work out. His hash browns and "fries" look good enough for me and worth the small bit of fat. LOL!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Saved my DD cals for one meal today. Just had a kilo of new potatoes, boiled with vinegar. 700 kcals.

I'm a little bit full to say the least:-)
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #29

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I had more a dish of serious fries in mind!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Oh yes, well for up days of course! I have been having some potatoes (ahem, with nonhydrogenated palm oil LOL) every up day. Sometimes on a down day as well. Yum.
Closed Thread