Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #181
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Oh, Good Heavens, Girl! Why dirty the spoon? Just tilt your head back and spray that stuff straight into your mouth. That's what I do!
omg this made me laugh dont we all do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
only down 1/2 this morning, would have expected more, and it felt like it was more. So back to normal rotations today and see what that does. I have a feeling LC would be the ideal finish to this experiment. But I fell like I have been deprived, which is not a place I want to go, as it will reult in a binge

So High day today, anything goes.

Heavy weekend in London at Rugby this weekend, so any good work will be undone:-)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat3 View Post
omg this made me laugh dont we all do that?
Nah

I spray thin strips along my palm or index finger then lick them off slowly, exquisitely savoring each sweet bubble of deliciousness ..... which on a possibly related side note, may explain why DH and I are about to celebrate 40 years

Kettle! 'Zoid! Puh-leeze remember to tell us what happens when you return to regular eating!

And, yes, Kettle I think I do know what you mean about 'feeling' lighter. I usually know how DD or UD have gone - long before I weigh the next morning - based on that very physical feeling.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #184
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I was going to do a second DD potato day today, but totally forgot that I have a breakfast thing at church this morning. I won't be eating there, but I won't have time this morning to make a potato (I have to throw together a breakfast casserole to bring, ugh). I'll probably grab a rice cake and eat it in the van on the way. So, I did one potato day this week and I'm going to plan on doing another one next week
Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #185
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am going to do another potato DD since the scale read 144.2 this morning after my UD. Not feeling deprived yet so I will continue on. I want my highest weight to be 144 and so far it looks like it is happening.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking about this new potato diet. I have read also many posts from ***. I am defiently very interested. I may start on Sunday. I am currenlty struggling with Juddd due to hunger issues.

Found this cool website. A man ate 20 potatoes a day (about 2220 cals ) WITH 2 tbs of oil for 60 days and lost 21 lbs!!!!!! and improved his labs. I am not sure if he regained the wt. This is interesting news since we have been told we should avoid fats. I did read somewhere in *** that the addition of bone broth and other non approved seasonings slowed down the weight loss. It makes me wonder if we add a small amount of oil we can make the diet more tolerable thus be able to stick to it some more. The website does not go into specifics about what the seasonings he used.

Here's the link: Q&A

Also I have been intrigued by "the starch solution" if you want to google it. you eat beans, corn potatoes etc and you improve your health...but it looks like it may be a low fat diet.

Current potato dieters!! Please keep us posted. If anyone finds out if Chris regains his 21lbs please share..

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #187
Big Yapper!!!!

Thansk for the links. I will read whrn I have more time.
So far, I have found the no fat not a problem on my two whole days of following the plan. The part I read said you could use salsa and ketchup in limited quantities which I do. Also the malt vinegar and those little broth cubes are working well for me. I didn't think I could go without some kind of fat but I am making hashbrowns in a little sandwich press thing I have had since my 23 year old DS was a youngster. It is perfect for the potatoes.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
ended my potato diet last night with a protein dinner of ham and my fabulous flour cake. the ham was verrrry salty, but my weight was unchanged this morning, so I am ending 5 days with a loss of 6 pounds.

This weekend will be regular lowcarb as I will be out of town, so I will report back as to any scale changes on Monday. I will probably do a few potato days (m and t) next week.

Hope this continues to be useful to some folks!

Ouis
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Well I did some more research. It looks like a guy named Ray Croise might have been the one that first created the potato diet. He has a website.
tatertot

I read through Ray Cronise' blogs. He talks a lot about amino acids and stuff, but never really laid it out like Otzi did. C'mon people...we're talking about frikkin' potatoes here. Bottom line, you wanna lose some fat fast? Eat just potatoes for a couple weeks...thanks for inventing this, Ray. Thanks for telling us, Otzi.

This was 'stolen' from Ray's public, free, blog and seems to be what started the whole idea:

[B]Eric Hanner says:
June 22, 2012 at 5:26 pm
Ray,
Your upcoming lab work sounds exciting.

Can you point me to some dietary advice for improving my Paleo diet? I’ve been Paleo for about 5 Months and have lost 35 lbs. Looking for an improvement to the slope.

Thanks,
Eric

admin says:
June 23, 2012 at 1:57 am
Increase greens – preferably without any fuel source. Limit meat and starch and increase fiber. This is not because we “are/aren’t designed to eat it,” but rather to encourage your body to rely on endogenous fat.

While there is probably some truth to the concept that eating excess dietary fats might result in an increase in fat metabolism, it’s not going to be greater than not ingesting it in the first place. It’s far easier to over consume fat, then starch (provided the two are not combined in a meal).

If you want to be radical and post big numbers, drop meat, butter, oils and any sugar and switch to only brown rice and/or potato for 14 days. Herbs snd spices are fine. You can eat as much as you want, but within a day or so you won’t want it anymore. Don’t eat because it’s “time,” but only whn hungry. Skipping meals is okay. Essentially you’ll reproduce the graph above. Any herb or species are fine, but remember no oils (I.e. fries, chips, etc…). It will work – 100%. There are more foods that could be used, but this is dumb-simple. If you fail it’s because you cheated. Suffice it to say no liquid calories of any kind.

Let me know how you do. I’ve reproduced it so many times, I know it will work.

Ray.

I guess this amswers my own question about addition of fat. looks like its ill advised. I guess if some folks lose 10 lbs in 12 days 21 in 60 days may be due to slowing the porcess?? Hopes this helps those that may be considering this diet.

Last edited by cuttie99; 11-29-2012 at 07:19 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #190
Senior LCF Member

There is an awful program on TV here called "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here" on this program they dump them in the jungle, and are left to basically eat Rice and Beans (High Carb) and most coming out a few weeks later are 30 lbs lighter! and some of these people are fairly lean to start.

So the LC thing does not stack up completely, or CI/CO...

Last edited by Kettleboy; 11-29-2012 at 07:15 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #191
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I've been enjoying the dickens out of potatoes here! An ounce of potato will even work for some of my mini-meals when I do my Eating-Every-Hour Down Days, as it's in that 30-calorie mini-meal range just fine, so I can include potato that way too.

I've always been eating them on JUDDD, but only on UDs. Never occurred to me to look into how they might be beneficial on DDs.

I doubt I'll do the Potato Diet way of eating them, daily and without fat, but just finding out that they're great with just salt and malt vinegar is good to know. I've never put vinegar on potatoes before.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Ouis for sharing the potato diet with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SO thrilled it works for some peeps! I know it doesn't work for everyone!

Cuttie99--Ray Cronise even came over to *** and commented on the Eat Moar Taters thread--He was very happy that Otzi had shared his work--

SoHappy--my one and only potato DD that I did (my first day) I did the wee tater every hour from 10-6 trick. Never hungry at all.

I am not sure I could personally do more than 5 days! I was really jonesing for some protein last night! But the 5 days I did do were suuuper easy and satisfying AND I like being 6 pounds down--
Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #194
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I actually have one half of my gigantic potato with me today. I tend to think eating only one kind of food, ALMOST ANY kind of food, all the time for a length of time would cause weight loss. It discourages over-eating because you get bombarded with the same old, same old and it's easier to just eat to getting filled. That's my theory. I bet if you ate steak and nothing but steak for every meal for 5 days, you would lose too.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 11-29-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LG, I think you are absolutely right about the single food diets--I have done the cabbage soup diet, and stillmans which is essentially only lowfat protein and have lost on all of them--the lack of variety reduces the drive to eat, you eat fewer calories and BAM, weight loss.

I also think that taters are filling and bland and do blunt the appetite.

AND, I do like some of the hypotheticals I've read over at *** about the biochemistry of metabolizing starch in the absence of fat (that the insulin spike causes free fatty acids to be mobilized, and they have to come from the body)

There is also the theory that taters invert the body's potassium/sodium ratio to good effect

and finally, there is the whole theory of palatability--eating bland and not very flavorful foods has an impact on setpoint.

I think there is probably a little of everything going on!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #196
Big Yapper!!!!

In Dr. Stillman's book, he has a whole bunch of same food diets. So yes, boredom seems to work. I like boredom. Easy for me to do without interferring with my other activities. He doesn't have a potato one though. Stillman also goes into fasting too. I read the last part of his book this week since I needed soemthing to read for a few minutes before I got sleepy.
I had hash browns for breakfast and brought my boiled taters for lunch with malt vinegar. Onward.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Ouiz, the theories can all be debunked easily, especially the Pottasium/sodium theory. If this was the case as soon as you reverted to normal diet it would normalise and the corresponding water balance. But in reality most people report a further loss on cessation? and very little regain. There are some very knowledgeable science guys on *** and they are all arguing about it :-)

One thing which is well reported; people who diet sucessfully in the long term tend to eat a very small variety of foods over and over again. The problem with this, is we are taught that we need variety for health? who knows....

Not for long!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah KB, I agree! theories is theories, lol!! All I know is that it worked well for me!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post

AND, I do like some of the hypotheticals I've read over at *** about the biochemistry of metabolizing starch in the absence of fat (that the insulin spike causes free fatty acids to be mobilized, and they have to come from the body)

I think there is probably a little of everything going on!
Ouiz, sorry to ask such a simpleton's question, but what do they say about insulin spiking being a bad thing? I keep reading that the spiking of insulin is the big problem with inflammation, fat, etc. ???
Old 11-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Kristin,

Paul Jaminet of the "The Perfect Health" diet believes that potatoes and brown rice are the two safe starches and could/should be a staple in daily diet without issue of insulin spikes/inflammation. I have been listening to him on podcasts and he has done quite a bit of research.

If you google "fat burning man Paul Jaminet" you should be able to listen to his podcast. He has very interesting thoughts on IF as well as what starch is safe.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
He brings up some rather interesting points about the fact that when you add white sugar, wheat or flour to this combo, that is when you risk serious trouble. So long as neither are in the picture, you can safely combine the two safe starches in limitation.

Also, you will need to scroll to the bottom of the page to hear his podcast.

Last edited by sunday; 11-29-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #202
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
Ouiz, the theories can all be debunked easily, especially the Pottasium/sodium theory. If this was the case as soon as you reverted to normal diet it would normalise and the corresponding water balance. But in reality most people report a further loss on cessation? and very little regain. There are some very knowledgeable science guys on *** and they are all arguing about it :-)

One thing which is well reported; people who diet sucessfully in the long term tend to eat a very small variety of foods over and over again. The problem with this, is we are taught that we need variety for health? who knows....
I hope this isn't me! I eat a HUGE variety of foods, over and over again. I get bored out of my gourd eating a few foods in a small rotation. The world is filled with so many foods and ways to prepare them. I love that JUDDD lets me indulge in it all. Works for me. Woo Hoo!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #203
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sunday!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

well, what the peeps over *** said is that the insulin spike from potatoes without fat seems to be a not such a bad thing in that it triggers the liver to release enzymes that trigger free fatty acid release to deal with the insulin spike. People over there were measuring their blood sugar and noting that over the week that they were doing their potato fast, their fasting blood sugars kept decreasing, which is a good thing. They also noted that their post-prandial sugars dipped lower than their pre-prandial sugars. Their guess was that somehow or another, the potato hack seemed to improve insulin-signaling making people less insulin resistant than they had been.

Of course I have no clue as to whether any of this is true, lol!! I think this is such an individual thing--if your are concerned, test your sugars (over time and over a few days) and see what happens for you
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #205
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Ouiz.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Ouiz is correct, this is why adding anything to the Pots other than condiments results in this not working. Again, who knows...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Just wanted to share a warning--potatoes can cause food poisoning rather easily.

For example, if you were to bake or boil a bunch of big whole potatoes at once, and let them cool on the stove or counter overnight, they can take a VERY long time to cool off, since they are quite dense and enclosed by their skin (and/or tinfoil); also, they are very low-acid, and bacteria multiply rapidly in an alkaline environment...acid kills off bacteria.

So, cut a slit in them (or cut them in half) when they are done so they cool off faster, and put them in the fridge within a couple of hours.

I took a food safety class a few years ago, and there was an anecdote about a restaurant that specialized in "baked potato salad". They'd bake the potatoes towards closing time, & leave them out to cool so they could make the salad the next day. (Putting really hot food in the fridge is bad, too.) But people started getting sick!

I can be pretty casual about leaving food out to cool--especially this time of year, when much of my house is around 47-48 degrees anyway! But I've been a little scared of potatoes since hearing that story!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
...they dump them in the jungle, and are left to basically eat Rice and Beans (High Carb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
He brings up some rather interesting points about the fact that when you add white sugar, wheat or flour to this combo, that is when you risk serious trouble. So long as neither are in the picture, you can safely combine the two safe starches in limitation.
I grew up eating rice & beans at least twice a day--that's what they fed us at school in Costa Rica--and sometimes 3 times, if that happened to be what Mom made for dinner. Dinner was always carby anyway, because we were vegetarians, so we'd eat pasta when we weren't eating rice. And we ate kilos of fruit!!! I was skinny as a stick!!! But I also walked for hours everyday, and sometimes swam in the ocean, rode horses, played with my friends and worked at the tennis court with my stepdad for several more hours. I got fat on a similar diet when I moved back to the US, had a baby, & stopped getting as much exercise.

IMO, carbs aren't as harmful when you get LOTS of exercise. I don't mean "go to the gym a lot" but when you are active all day long--very physical job, or professional athlete. You burn off the carbs before they can do much damage.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-29-2012 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: eta: cut in half
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Hmmm. So I am wondering if I should consider doing it, but with the brown rice instead, since I suspect I may have a joint reaction to potatoes. If it is the same theory, I wonder if JUST the brown rice would drop me down a bit. I'd be super happy with 3-4 pounds gone, if it wasn't quickly regained. Although I may consider the lower akyloid potatoes like PJ outlined instead.

I agree with librarygirl about the steak, except that when I do super LC like that, I quickly regain upon stopping. This "appears" to be different somehow.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
Old 11-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

c'marie--white rice is considered the "safe starch" not brown--contrary to the wisdom we have always heard--
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #210
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ANGIE 43
I love love love taters, Im in, have some on the stove as I type , its Friday morning over here so its taters for breaky yum yum
Closed Thread