Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #1981
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindystar
Yay Babs! It's nice to have other people doing it at the same time, eeeeeee!! Let's lose!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #1982
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Ok! I am ready to start! My weight this morning is 153.2.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #1983
Junior LCF Member

Babs! Babs! Woo hoo! . Ooooo and how fun, we way practically the same, it will be so fun to compare notes!

Day two for me -

Day 1 - 152.8
Day 2 - 152.8

Lol that's a lot different than my day two from last time, I expect great things from tomorrow
Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #1984
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindystar View Post
Babs! Babs! Woo hoo! . Ooooo and how fun, we way practically the same, it will be so fun to compare notes!

Day two for me -

Day 1 - 152.8
Day 2 - 152.8

Lol that's a lot different than my day two from last time, I expect great things from tomorrow
Our weights are very close! I agree it will be fun to compare
Old 09-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #1985
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Hubby ran an errand today and surprised me and brought home 2 bags of potatoes for me to start tomorrow. But I'm starting at 173 and aiming to get to 150 by my birthday Dec 31st. It's my birthday present to myself. WE CAN DO THIS!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #1986
Major LCF Poster!

I hope your test results are good today Buttoni!
My PH day one was good. I am down -.4 so am 152.8 this morning. Made mashed potatoes with chicken broth and salt and pepper last night and enjoyed them! I plan to make the hash browns later this morning.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #1987
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good start, Babs! I'm off to my appt. in a few. I'm just skipping breakie today (other than 1 coffee with cream, as I'm just not hungry yet. I'll have taters for lunch.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #1988
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, Happy Days! My labs came back with normal creatinine levels so the kidneys are A-OK. Whew! What a relief. She agreed with me it was likely my immune system's response to my somewhat bizarre skin allergic reaction to lupin flour in Feb and March. The steroid cream they gave me for that would have additionally stressed my kidneys, on top of the allergen it was trying to get rid of. More good news, my triglycerides are 112, HDL up from 47 to 60, LDL down from 120 to 110. More good news, she's halving my BP med dose, and may even take me off it completely, since some days it dips so low (106/60) I get dizzy.

So I'm in, starting weight 173, confirmed in doctor's office. When I got home I had a baked red potato with chopped chives, S & P.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #1989
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/150/162
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
Peggy, That is wonderful. So glad all is corrected.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #1990
lioness22

Gallery: lioness22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
My weight bounces around quite a bit. It was up almost four pounds today after a big salt-fest last night - the rest of the KFC chicken, leftover hot wings with bleu cheese dressing, leftover fried pickles, clam chowder. I just chalk it up to the salt/water retention.

I do every other day potatoes though. The days in between are our "up" days. So far it's working really well.
Thanks Charski for your reply. I decided to do JUDDD and try the every other day potato hack, as you are doing. Been on that routine for maybe a week now, and it does seem to be working very nicely. I've lost 5-6 pounds overall and now going without too many big swings back and forth. Sure makes it easy on the down days not to have to think too hard about what you're going to eat!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #1991
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Anne. I am too. Congrats on your losses on the PH so far. This seems to agree with you. And look at you, girl.....getting closer and closer to goal! I'm going to try to stick this hack out to the end of the month. That'll be 10 days.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #1992
Junior LCF Member

Buttoni! YYYAAAAYYY that is so SOOO wonderful!!! Congratulations on not just the kidney's but also the BP. That's wonderful!! ♥ ♥
Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #1993
Junior LCF Member

Day 3 results You know it's funny, on the last hack I was reeaaalllyyy water bloated, every morning I looked terrible in the face, but this time not happening so far. I haven't had the chance to eat as much as normal the past two days (I missed one meal each day that I would have liked to eat) so maybe that extra salt-loss has something to do with it. Whoooo knows.

I found more frozen fat free potatoes in the freezer section and really am loving them. I got the "home fries" and the regular shredded potatoes. If I shred them at home they cook up terribly but the frozen ones come out beautiful. I add in some chopped onion and it really is bliss.

Day 1 - 152.8
Day 2 - 152.8
Day 3 1 151.0
Old 09-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #1994
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

GO LINDY!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #1995
Major LCF Poster!

I have to go look for the frozen shredded potatoes as that sounds much easier. Glad we are all of to a good start!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #1996
Major LCF Poster!

Potato hack is going good so far. I am away this weekend so will be on JUDDD for a couple of days but I will be back to it Monday!
Day1- 153.2
Day2- 152.8
Day3- 151.8
Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #1997
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Unmodified Potato Starch

I'm curious how those of you including powdered unmodified potato starch in your PHacks.....HOW are you consuming it? Stirred into cold mashed taters? Stirred into some liquid? I have some on hand and want to start adding it, but not sure how to go about that. I've been reading a bunch about resistant starch today (not a new topic for me, but doing further reading about it) and came across the most interesting article that says POTATO CHIPS and CORN TORTILLAS are high in resistant starch!! Man, I could get off to adding some of THOSE to my hack and see if the oil used to fry them causes any issues on my hacks. I'm copy/pasting an article I came across on my food tracking site (which I'll not name, but you guys know which one I use by now) for anyone interested in reading it. I was totally surprised at some of the foods on the list of foods high in RS:

Resistant Starch: A Powerful Nutrient
Recent buzz about an exciting nutrition breakthrough may finally kick the low-carb diet craze to the curb. New research shows that you can add back certain starchy foods that were once thought to be diet disasters. The powerful nutrient that has dietitians and other healthcare professionals talking is called resistant starch. Although you may unfamiliar with this term, it's likely been a staple part of your diet for years.

What is resistant starch? It's is a type of carbohydrate found in certain fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, and some dairy foods. Unlike other carbohydrates, resistant starch isn't entirely broken down by the body, which is how it got its name because it "resists" digestion. Although resistant starch is molecularly similar to a carbohydrate, it is digested like fiber, meaning it passes into the large intestine intact. Nutrition experts have begun to classify resistant starch as a type of fiber.

But resistant starch may have an added benefit that soluble and insoluble fibers don't have. Once it reaches the large intestine, resistant starch is fermented, which creates a beneficial fatty acid called butyrate. Butyrate may block your liver's ability to use carbohydrates for fuel, which in turn causes stored body fat and recently consumed dietary fat to be burned for fuel instead. Since carbohydrate is your body's preferred form of fuel, cutting off access to carbohydrate may force your body to turn to fat as an alternative fuel source.

A recent study showed that replacing 5.4% of the total carbohydrate in a meal with resistant starch increased fat oxidation (large fat molecules are broken down into smaller molecules, which are then used for energy) by 20-30%. Another interesting finding from this study was that the increased fat oxidation continued throughout the day, not just immediately following the meal containing resistant starch. Results from animal studies have shown that resistant starch causes animals to produce more satiety-inducing hormones, which could ultimately lead to weight loss.

Recent studies have found that resistant starch also helps prevent constipation and improve colon health. Emerging research has also proven that resistant starch can help improve blood glucose levels and decrease insulin resistance in people who have type 2 diabetes. Resistant starch can also increase absorption of certain minerals, including calcium. It's also thought to prevent some types of cancer.

Resistant starch can be found in many foods, but there are certain foods that contain high amounts of this miracle nutrient. Foods with highly-concentrated amounts of resistant starch include oats, puffed wheat cereal, slightly green bananas, whole-grain breads, Italian and sourdough bread, legumes (beans and peas), cooked and cooled potatoes and yams, cooked and cooled rice and pasta (both whole-grain and refined grain), cooked plantains, corn flakes, rice cereal, potato chips, corn tortillas, barley, and millet.

How much resistant starch is recommended per day? While there is no current established recommendation, research studies have shown that eating 6-12 grams of resistant starch daily has beneficial effects on blood glucose and insulin levels, but about 20 grams daily is needed to have positive effects on your digestive system. Americans currently average 3-8 grams/day.

Kari Hartel, RD, LD is a Registered Dietitian and freelance writer based out of St. Louis, MO. Kari is passionate about nutrition education and the prevention of chronic disease through a healthy diet and active lifestyle. Kari holds a Bachelor of Science in Dietetics from Southeast Missouri State University and is committed to helping people lead healthy lives. She completed a yearlong dietetic internship at OSF St. Francis Medical Center in Peoria, IL, where she worked with a multitude of clients and patients with complicated diagnoses.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #1998
Junior LCF Member

Buttoni, I've been eating the fat free sour cream and onion Pringles chips on both hacks and they don't bother me one bit. Not exactly chemical free but they're yummy and fun

Today's update -

Day 1 - 152.8
Day 2 - 152.8
Day 3 - 151.0
Day 4 - 150.0

Yesssssss

Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #1999
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
buttoni--I add resistant starch to my water. I take it 1 TBL at a time in a cup of water. Tastes like flour water to me, but I have had worse. I just take it to get it over with. I am sure others have tastier ideas on what to do with it.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #2000
lioness22

Gallery: lioness22
Hi Buttoni! I have only recently begun posting on here (altho have been avidly reading all these pages of posts for weeks). Thank you for this latest posting on resistant starch.... absolutely fascinating! It just flies in the face of all that we have been taught for decades. I am now beginning to understand why my LC program worked great for a while, but then hit the great plateau. Who would have ever thunk that potatoes and the like might be our saving grace?! Being Irish, I am enjoying that irony! I am with you on the potato chips -- one of my faves that I never thought I could eat again. I wonder if ANYone (commercially) makes chips in an omega3 oil and whether that would make them OK for us? You've inspired me to dig deeper on this issue....

Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #2001
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Am trying to get through all the research on the RS topic I've just stumbled on at a Paleo website called Freetheanimal. Do a search there for "Resistant Starch: Now We're Getting Somewhere, Part 2" and in that article, he links to Part 1 and some 35+ research studies on RS. Amazing information. I have a feeling my views (and fears) of certain foods may be changing in my NEXT 4 years of low carbing.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #2002
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the reply, Dawn. Heck, if I can drink down fiber in water, I'm sure I can do the same with potato starch.

Good to hear the Pringle chips didn't impact your losses last time, Lindy. I think I'll try an occasional foray with REAL POTATO chips once or twice during this hack and see what happens. Might even try a corn tortilla (cold, right out of the wrapper) and see what that does, too.

I was blown away when this blogger said he tested his BG after eating potato starch and his BG only went up 5 pts. at the 1 hr. point. Simply amazing. I guess I ought to use DH's meter and see what mine actually does if I start eating potato starch, but I hate sticking myself with sharp thingies unless I absolutely have to.

I also was pleased to learn that the potatoes lose their RS quality at 160║, but I could still eat mashed potatoes lukewarm, which would be better than stone cold IMHO. And I could just stir the potato starch right into those, when I eat my taters mashed with broth. going to do that tonight for dinner.

Last edited by buttoni; 09-20-2013 at 12:40 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #2003
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm actually contemplating (when I stop this current hack) doing just unmodified potato starch along with introducing foods that are very high in resistant starch to my regular low-carb eating regimen and see what that tact produces. This afternoon, I had a smoothie made with just crushed ice, enough water to be able to blend it, 4 small strawberries, 2 T. modified starch and a squirt of strawberry-watermelon flavor Great Value brand of water flavor drops. It wasn't bad at all, no taste really. Probably didn't even need the 4 strawberries and won't use them next time. I'm going to try having one of the starch smoothies with 2T. in the morning and evening and see what that brings to the experiment.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2004
Junior LCF Member

Buttoni, do you think eating them cold makes a big difference? I never ate them cold on my last hack and lost a ton of weight. Of course, I imagine it's different for everybody but I'm sticking to warm just for the love of the taste

I tried green plantains w/ Splenda and cinnamon today. They're worse than popcorn to cook in the microwave. It seems like in TWO seconds flat they go from not done to yeeeuuuck burnt. I burned the first two batches and then the third just stayed and stared at them the entire time and kept turning it off and checking. They finally came out good! LOL an entire plantain sure does shrink down to nothin' at all, but they were a tasty snack for sure!

Update -

Day 1 - 152.8
Day 2 - 152.8
Day 3 - 151.0
Day 4 - 150.0
Day 5 - 150.0

This sure is nothing like the last hack, but I'm totally sticking with it, it's too simple and yummy not to. Plus, I woke up with swollen painful hands this morning so I know I was holding on to a bunch of water weight from yesterday. It'll come off, patience is the game!
Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #2005
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Is the RS experiment purely for weight loss? Or for people with BS problems trying to regulate? Or, for people who eat LC for diabetes or other health problems trying to incorporate some carbs?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #2006
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Lindy, I will do the reds cold. I kinda like the sticky, chewy texture they get when cold. I won't do russets cold. Way too mealy to eat that way IMO. Cold potatoes will have a higher resistant starch (RS) value, so I would think it would do better, Lindy, but if you lose eating hot, go for it girl. I'm eating a red one cold for lunch with salt as I'm typing.

I was reading some extensive RS threads over at Feed The Animal website yesterday and one of his RS research collaborators, Tater Tot, slices his plantains real thin and dehydrates them in a dehydrator <140║, then salts them. He says they taste kinda like potato chips and he likes them that way. I used to have fried plantain chips at a restaurant in Houston, but that's the only time I've ever had them. I'm planning on buying a few week and try them dehydrated. He said he also slices real thin his potatoes, places them in water that was boiled and has dropped back down to 140║ and lets them just sit in that water and come down to room temperature with the water. Said they are OK for eating as is and pretty good for potato salad. I plan to try them that way.

They say the resistant starch is lost at about 140║-150║ and then it turns to normal, rapidly-digestible starch, so I'm trying to eat more cold ones this hack than hot. Although boiling is 214║, when they cool, they drop back to more RS (but not as high RS as if they never reached 140║) Last hack I ate more hot, dry-fried or baked, and lost less than on my first hacks when I ate more cold boiled ones. So I do think temperature matters. But a number of folks doing the PH are losing to their satisfaction eating them hot.

Cindy, I think different people are doing for different reasons. There are definite side benefits eating more resistant starch. There are a lot of articles on the web on the subject. I started MY potato hacks to try to break a 3 year stall at around 170#. But I'd like to reap some of the other benefits that come from resistant starch, just not sure I want to reap those benefits by eating just potatoes forever, if you know what I mean. I don't have blood glucose issues, never have had, but my FBG number could be lower. I'm all for that benefit of RS if I can see it come to fruition with an occasional potato hack.

Last edited by buttoni; 09-21-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 09-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #2007
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
buttoni, you might try ADF to break a stall, and if you don't have BS problems, you can eat carbs all you like.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #2008
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What is ADF? Googling is getting me nothing food related.

Last edited by buttoni; 09-21-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #2009
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Make potato chips! Take one medium potato, slice very thinly (a mandoline slicer is perfect for this) and then place in a single layer on parchment paper on a baking sheet. I spray VERY lightly with olive oil spray, then sprinkle with garlic salt and bake at 375* oven til crispy.

Even BETTER chips can be made using one of those microwave potato chip trays (look for Top Chips maker on Amazon) - no oil needed and they come out very evenly crispy. The bad part being, it takes several sessions to get them all cooked, whereas in the oven you can do two full pans pretty fast.

It feels positively decadent and like a major cheat to eat your potatoes on chips on a hack day!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #2010
Junior LCF Member

Day 1 - 152.8
Day 2 - 152.8
Day 3 - 151.0
Day 4 - 150.0
Day 5 - 150.0
Day 6 - 148.4

I didn't deserve the weight loss from yesterday, I went nuts at the movie theater. I brought along my own s.f. candy and some f.f. pringles but ended up eating popcorn, M&M's and a handful of jelly beans. Then at home a mini bagel. I guess all in all it wasn't a LOT of food, but certainly off the rails. I never cheat on L.C. but lately I've been losing my mind once in a while eating nonsense like that. It wasn't cravings or hunger, I just plain WANTED some popcorn and candy and figured what-the-hell I'll take a 1/3 of a day off. On LC I'd be screwed up for a week if I'd ate that crap, but potatoes are more forgiving I guess. Not something I hope to repeat though, back on to taters today.
Closed Thread