Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #1861
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm going to have to lay off the tater hacking for awhile. Developed a rash Sunday, went to the doc Monday and as I suspected, it's the Shingles again. That's twice in as many years now. Stress with my Mother's dementia care and my Type-A personality brother for 2 weeks obviously took it's toll on me. Man, sometimes I think I can't win for losin'. It's so sad that family dealings can make you sick, literally.

It gets better (or worse, I should say). Doc also pointed out my last blood work in March-April, just prior to my cataract removal surgery, showed elevated creatinine levels in the kidney check. This is a strong indicator of less than optimal kidney function. Although come things can cause weakened kidneys, she doesn't think any of those apply to me. My reading was 2.6 and normal adult female is .5-1.1!!! Doc doesn't think this is at all low-carb diet related, either. She wants to order some repeat tests and a few new ones when I get back from San Antonio in a couple weeks. She said she may even want to refer me to a nephrologist for further investigating, as 2.6 is "really quite high". Anyhow, I don't want diet to in any way impact these test results, so I'm going to lay off the hacks for a couple months it looks like. I can always come back to it when all this is checked out. In the meantime, I'll just eat me regular low-carb Atkins and hopefully maintain right where I am until this gets diagnosed or resolved. I wish everyone luck with their potato-hack adventures. As Arnold says, "I'll be back", hopefully. This hacking is the only thing that has been working for me to break my interminable stall at 165-170.

Last edited by buttoni; 08-20-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #1862
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jacquelinejolie
Stats: 183.4/163/130
Not sure if anyone's seen this guys blog / self-experiment but he ate 20 potatoes a day for 2 months. His blog is 20potatoesaday. He lost 21 pounds in those 2 months and his stats (blood pressure etc.) improved quite a lot, especially impressive was his LDL (bad) cholestrol which was cut almost in half (142 down to 84). He didn't lose much more than you'd figure that he would based on his calorie intake of potatoes alone (looks like his intake avg was ~1900 cal and his burn rate was estimated at 2800) but said that if he did it again, he'd test with more cold potatoes for the resistant starch effect.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #1863
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
I have been so shocked this afternoon. My bs bottomed out and I'm feeling hypo-shakey and hungry and terrible. I ate like I did yesterday- black coffee in the am, baked small yukons in broth with a T of poblano scq-prolly about 8 ozof potato. Around 2:30 when I was prepping my slices to bake for dinner I ate a couple of raw slices. 45 minutes later-boom I was knocked down with this. I quickly microwaved a few slices with salt and ate them. I'm still jittery but better. Not sure what to think.

Psalm 62:5
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #1864
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had it happen to me a few times on my 5 hacks so far, Anne. I just try to be sure I don't go more than 6 hours without eating some spuds and that seems to prevent it from happening. When I go from breakfast to 2-3pm before my second meal, that just doesn't work out for me and I get that crash BS drop. I found I wanted to eat my first meal around 11am; second meal around 4-5pm; third meal around 8pm. Not sure why that's how my meals evolved on the hacking, but I just found that schedule worked best for my body's hunger needs and to prevent those crashes.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #1865
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1annewil
Stats: 165/156/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDD/Potato Hack/
Thanks, Peggy. This is my 4 or 5th period of this hack and I have been hungry but not hypogylcemic and was so shokced. I had eaten a couple hours before and had just eaten 2/3 slices raw. I read about your kidney testing-sure hope all goes well.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #1866
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Gosh Peggy how scary about the kidneys and about your shingles! and hope you get it figured out soon!!

Barbo, congrats. That's a fabulous weight and I know you are thrilled!!!

Char so glad you and DH are doing so great on this and am so happy you're here!

Hello to all the other PH'ing beautiful BUDDDS!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #1867
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I hope you feel better soon and that your tests come out ok Peggy. I am grateful that you have been posting your success with the potato hack as it has been very motivational.
1annewil-I am not sure but aren't raw potatoes toxic? Maybe that was the issue?
Elphie, I have done potato DD's at about 600-800 calls and lost very slowly. I was probably going over my UD calls as well so maybe not the best experiment.

I am on the third day of the potato hack and have dropped from 155 to 151.6 as of this morning. This was new weight that I lost as I was gaining over the last few weeks instead of losing which was the original plan.) It has been a summer filled with fun and food for me and I have been struggling getting back to my JUDDD calorie limits this month. The hack seems to really reduce my appetite and get my cravings back under control. I hope to keep it up until the weekend and then JUDDD again at the right calorie counts.
Hi Pooticus! I hope you are doing well.

Last edited by Babsbabs; 08-21-2013 at 05:04 PM..
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #1868
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Good Information

Char thanks for setting me straight on Ouis name.

Peggy, prayers for your kidney situation. Think you are doing right
by just doing a LC WOE right now.

Raw taters not good on tummy.Digestion Problems

If you consume a potato without cooking it, you can experience digestive problems. In order to digest the potato and access the molecules full of starch inside of it, the cellular walls in it must be broken through cooking. If the walls are intact, your body cannot access the starch inside of it. As a result, the raw potato will pass through your digestive system undigested, exiting in the same shape and size as when you consumed it. This can create indigestion, abdominal discomfort, pain, bloating and nausea.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #1869
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Barb. I think so, too. Don't want to skew the results of any of them. Hope you're having continued P-Hack success.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #1870
Major LCF Poster!

Down another .4 pounds this morning. This is the start of my 4th day on the PH and have gone from 155 to 150.8 today. Most of that weight was probably bloat from overeating the week before but I am happy to see it gone and not have it become permanent weight gain. Plan to stay on the hack for next day and a half until we head out of town for the weekend. My plan for the weekend is to have Saturday be an UD and then do a DD on Sunday which should hopefully start me off on a good track for following JUDDD rotations next week. Happy potato hacking

Last edited by Babsbabs; 08-22-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #1871
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're doing GREAT Babs!! KUTGW!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #1872
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
You're doing GREAT Babs!! KUTGW!
Thanks, I am happy about it. Today was my weigh in for the last day of this hack. I have fun weekend plans that involve eating out so am back to JUDDD. My weight this morning was 150.4 after four days on the potato hack and a start weight of 155.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #1873
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG! That's about what I lose each time I do it for around 5 days. I look it as I would a staircase. Each hack represents one step down (albeit only 3-4# each time) on my very zig-zag journey off this dang 170 forever plateau. I'm at 167 today and just pray my 5 days with Mom down in San Antonio next week (eating out constantly) won't bounce me right back up to 170. The Gods are truly working against me these past 3 years. Keeping my fingers crossed I maintain my 167. then I can get back to my P-hacks if my kidney blood tests when I get back don't mandate otherwise.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #1874
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Barbo, my explanation of Ouis' name wasn't aimed at you - I've seen it happen many times on these boards, because as Ouis herself says, it's so hard to tell an "O" from a "Q" with that underline of the user name!

I just wanted to make a general statement about it because I dig ol' Ouis so much and wanted her to get her just due - figured I'd just put in my two cents.

You know I love ya Barbo! forever!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #1875
Major LCF Poster!

I hope you can hang onto the 167 too Buttoni. The Potato hack can be pretty good for losing weigh and not having it go right back on. Hopefully the kidney tests give you some answers and you are ok to continue the potato hack if you want to soon.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #1876
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaLatham
Stats: 43.6%/32.7%/30% Body Fat
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: March 2009
I have been reading all the threads about the potato hack, and I decided to try it this morning for the first time.

I had been concerned about my blood sugar zooming up if I ate potatoes, but people were saying that it did not happen to them, and someone else said that on Free the Animal, the guy is treating his mother's Type 2 Diabetes with the PH. So I figured I would do it.

Last night, I peeled and boiled a couple of pounds of Yukon Gold and put them in the fridge.

This morning, I checked my blood glucose when I got up and it was 86, so good. Then I ate 1/2 pound of them, with apple cider vinegar, sea salt and a sprinkle of garlic powder.

One hour later, I checked my BG again and it is now 177. Whoa! This is not good!

It appears that this means I should never do this again.

Any thoughts?

Visit my blog, My Low Carb Road to Better Health.

Visit my blog, Alzheimer's Disease - Prevention and Treatment.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #1877
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I don't think it means that Rebecca. This is a phenomenon we have seen quite a few times. The first couple of times people try the hack they might have a response like this, and then for most folks, something metabolically shifts, and all of a sudden, they adapt and start having low bs readings consistently. So weird. There is also the theory (!) that the burst of blood sugar mobilizes stored fat--and that is why weight loss gets initiated with the hack. At any rate, YMMV, but you might want to stick with it for a day or so and see what happens.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #1878
Senior LCF Member

Look what happened. Whoa! This is not good!

I was reading Free the Animal, and they say to do this:

The proposed self experiment:

1. Eat a big russet potato in whatever way you want to cook it, but without any stuff on it other than salt, pepper, herbs, spices, etc. Measure your BG levels for the first 4 hours every 15-30 minutes (15 minutes is best in the 1-2 hour window for resolution and so you don't miss a spike).

2. Once back down to normal BG levels, take in the whole starch equivalent of the same potato, but in the form of unmodified potato starch (mix it in some liquid of preference, drink). Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch is dirt cheap and 4 tablespoons (about 40g, with 80% by weight being resistant starch and the rest, moisture) gives you a whole potato worth of starch load. Do the exact same BG measurements at the same times.

3. Once BG settles out again, repeat #1, take the same measurements at the same time.

Predictions:

1. You will have a significant BG spike in #1; way more if you're borderline T2 diabetic or full blown. It will take about 4 hours to clear.

2. You will have a small spike with #2, far less than #1 and moreover, it will clear in 2-3 hours.

3. Repeating the #1 experiment, you will experience a significant "2nd meal effect" where the test you did mere hours before is far less spiky and clears far more rapidly.

4. Should the foregoing results be your general experience and you decide to continue taking 2-4 tablespoons per day of RS in the form of Bob's Unmodified Potato Starch, you will find your fasting BG gradually come down over the next month. Note that physiologic insulin resistance and elevated fasting BG is a chronic "issue" (because I simply don't know if it's a "problem") amongst LCers and IFers, including myself and family members.

5. And should you continue the experiment per the foregoing #4, expect to experience substantially increased satiation and fat loss over time.

(This is the end of the Free the Animal quote.)

So, the whole point of this is to lower your fasting blood glucose? My fasting blood glucose is stellar - usually in the 70s. The only time my BG goes up is when I eat higher carb, which I don't do, in order to keep my blood glucose normal and stable.

The reason I wanted to do it was to burn fat, not to lower my fasting BG.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #1879
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
There is also the theory (!) that the burst of blood sugar mobilizes stored fat--and that is why weight loss gets initiated with the hack. At any rate, YMMV, but you might want to stick with it for a day or so and see what happens.
What I read is that it causes a surge of insulin, and that is what causes the fat burning. Maybe I misunderstood.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #1880
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindystar
Hello PH's I'm a friend of Peggy's from another site.

I've been doing Atkins for over a year now and lost 50 pounds. I stalled out for over three months and afterwards have been having trouble staying on track. I'm the type that has to count every wee carb and keep it between 25-30 to lose. I got tired of counting, REALLY tired and started eating without counting thinking that I'm experienced enough after so much time to do so. Anyhoo I creeped up 6 pounds in a month or so and then fell of the wagon completely for about 5 days. ( I never cheat, not even at Thanksgiving or Christmas or Birthday so this was a big deal) I ended up going from 147.4 to 165.8 in all.

I can't BELIEVE IT!

Anyhoo, loooong story. I've been following Peggy and considering the hack for a month now and began today. I super duper love it so far! Potatoes have always been my long time favorite food and I missed them on Atkins.

I got the shakes today but they went away quick after eating a bowl of potato soup.

I've read the entire thread and wanted to drop in to say "Hi." I'm in it with you, see you around! ♥

Last edited by lindystar; 08-25-2013 at 04:06 PM..
Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #1881
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ltighe
Stats: 247.2/241/180 6'0"
WOE: JUDDD/Potatoes
Start Date: 08/19/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie124 View Post
I'm sure the answer is in this long thread somewhere, but I am going to be lazy and ask. If I decided to PH on my DDs (only), do I eat potatoes to satisfaction or do I have to stick to my DD calories to see results? I'm hoping it's the former because I am really struggling with low cal DDs lately and am looking for an alternative so I can take a little break. I tried the PH on one DD quite some time ago but I stuck to my calories at the time (500) and it was awful. I was so hungry and unsatisfied that I swore I would never do it again. lol. And my DD calories are much lower now so....

Just curious if anyone responded to her post, I didn't see a reply. I don't want to ask the same questions over. Wish there was a quick bullet point list "Potato Hacks for Beginners" instead of needing to read through so many posts
Old 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #1882
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindystar View Post
Hello PH's I'm a friend of Peggy's from another site.

I've been doing Atkins for over a year now and lost 50 pounds. I stalled out for over three months and afterwards have been having trouble staying on track. I'm the type that has to count every wee carb and keep it between 25-30 to lose. I got tired of counting, REALLY tired and started eating without counting thinking that I'm experienced enough after so much time to do so. Anyhoo I creeped up 6 pounds in a month or so and then fell of the wagon completely for about 5 days. ( I never cheat, not even at Thanksgiving or Christmas or Birthday so this was a big deal) I ended up going from 147.4 to 165.8 in all.

I can't BELIEVE IT!

Anyhoo, loooong story. I've been following Peggy and considering the hack for a month now and began today. I super duper love it so far! Potatoes have always been my long time favorite food and I missed them on Atkins.

I got the shakes today but they went away quick after eating a bowl of potato soup.

I've read the entire thread and wanted to drop in to say "Hi." I'm in it with you, see you around! ♥
Have you checked your blood sugar after eating the potatoes?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #1883
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltighe View Post
Just curious if anyone responded to her post, I didn't see a reply. I don't want to ask the same questions over. Wish there was a quick bullet point list "Potato Hacks for Beginners" instead of needing to read through so many posts
I don't know if anyone did (I am not doing the hack right now, but do pop in here because of notifications) but Char answered another question in another thread. I am posting/copying here for everyone to see:

"My DH and I do the potato hack on down days, then eat pretty low-carb on up days. It has worked wonders for DH, who is insulin resistant, and has diabetes on both sides of his family. He no longer is ravenous all day every day, he's losing weight, and he's VERY happy with this.

I take a bunch of potatoes, quarter them lengthwise, then cut crosswise into chunks - put them on a nonstick foil or parchment paper-lined baking sheet, spray very lightly with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle on garlic salt, and roast in a preheated 400* convection oven for 45 minutes. They turn out roasty browned and really good.

I let those cool, then put in a large zipperlock bag and into the fridge. When he feels hungry, he gets some out, adds malt vinegar, salt, pepper, and a small amount of chopped onion, and that satisfies him for hours - nothing else seems to do this for his hunger satisfaction levels! Even on UP days he finds he's usually not as ravenous as he used to be.

He too was VERY skeptical and worried about the insulin response, he fully expected he'd want to chew his arm off about an hour after eating the potatoes, but it has not happened that way.

I did read up on the resistant starch, which happens when you cook and then cool potatoes (and other foods as well, you can do a web search to see which ones) so that's why we MOSTLY eat them cold.

My preference is to take bigger baking potatoes and bake a few of them at the same time as his potatoes are cooking. Then while they're still warm, I halve them, scoop out the innards, mix with some Tostitos salsa con queso (which is low cal and low fat), a tablespoon of bacon bits (also pretty low fat in that amount) and maybe some sliced green onion and/or a little fat-free salsa. Stuff that back into the skins and you can either eat them cold, or reheat til warm. I'm not sure what the reheating til just warm does as far as the resistant starch effects, which are actually separate from the insulin response.

The idea is, very simply, the potatoes do cause a release of insulin, but in the absence of any dietary fat present with the potatoes (as long as it's less than 9 grams total, IIRC, which is why I do measure the SCQ and bacon bits to keep it less than that per serving) the body must release stored fat in order to burn off the insulin. (Somebody correct me if I'm misstating this, this is to the best of my memory after doing a lot of online sleuthing about all this!)

I've read some folks use no-fat sour cream or yogurt, or other condiments to make the plain potatoes more palatable.

We've been doing this about a month and a half now. DH is down 10 pounds and I'm down about 6. We're both very pleased with eating this way - in fact DH said a little while ago that as far as he is concerned, this is a lifestyle, and he can see doing this always.

On Up days, we eat to hunger, which means he no longer eats breakfast most days, just black coffee; and I have my usual decaf with half & half.

His standard lunch for work is a Flatout Foldit with 2 slices deli turkey breast and a slice of light Jarlsberg cheese with mustard. He also takes a baggie with those cute little minibel peppers, a small handful of raw baby carrots, and a few grape tomatoes, and usually a snack of 1 light string cheese and 2 pieces of homemade ground beef jerky.

For dinner we have a protein and a big "everything" salad, maybe a little side of brown rice or quinoa, or sweet potato fries. One night a week we go out to dinner on an Up night.

We also don't sweat it if situations dictate 2 up days in a row - we might then do 2 potato days, or we might just resume regular rotations. Life happens and we roll with it much easier eating this way than any other way including strict low carbing.

There are a LOT of threads under this JUDDD forum so I highly recommend reading up as you can. I know a lot of people do weigh and measure and track calories - we've not been doing that and still are pleased and successful, so far. If that should change then we'll look at calorie counting.

Ask questions too - so many people here are SO much more knowledgeable on this subject than I am - if it had not been for Ouizoid I probably would not have tried this way of eating with the potatoes.

I am not even sure if it answers your question, but maybe you can ask Char how many potatoes they do on DDs. I never did a hack on JUDDD. I just ate potatoes for about 3 days or longer---and lost every single time I did one. It works!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #1884
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I've been doing some reading on resistant starches today and it seems most beans (not canned though, they're too processed) and things like lentils also have a decent amount of RS.

I was thinking about Rebecca's spike in blood sugar and wondering if a cold lentil salad (vinegar, chopped green onions, something like that) might be better for people having blood sugar issues, since they're lower glycemic than potatoes.
Just some food for thought.

If you google "Potatoes, lentils, or quinoa: Which are healthier resistant starches?" there's an interesting article.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #1885
Senior LCF Member

I did post my question over at MDA. We'll see if I get any answers.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #1886
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ltighe
Stats: 247.2/241/180 6'0"
WOE: JUDDD/Potatoes
Start Date: 08/19/2013
Thanks dawnyama! Wish there was a "like" button!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #1887
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham View Post
Have you checked your blood sugar after eating the potatoes?
No, but I've never had a problem with that sort of thing so I'm hoping it was just the adjustment period. I have a good friend at work that checks his sugar every couple of hours, I'm sure he would test me if I get worried. Thank you for the suggestion
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #1888
Junior LCF Member

Eeeeeeee!! It's day 2 and even though I ate a TON of potatoes yesterday I dropped 2.2 pounds.

I was super hungry yesterday but we'll see what happens today .

OMG I can't get over the fact that I'm eating mashed potatoes - for nearly every meal, it's like a dream come true! Who knew that chicken broth alone could be SO delicious on potatoes!

Love love love!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #1889
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No, but I've never had a problem with that sort of thing so I'm hoping it was just the adjustment period. I have a good friend at work that checks his sugar every couple of hours, I'm sure he would test me if I get worried. Thank you for the suggestion
I did not know I had a problem, either, until I checked my BG and then was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #1890
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Eeeeeeee!! It's day 2 and even though I ate a TON of potatoes yesterday I dropped 2.2 pounds.

I was super hungry yesterday but we'll see what happens today .

OMG I can't get over the fact that I'm eating mashed potatoes - for nearly every meal, it's like a dream come true! Who knew that chicken broth alone could be SO delicious on potatoes!

Love love love!
I am happy it is working for you!
Closed Thread