Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #1771
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/123-125/125
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Quick questions for the experts before I start my PH tomorrow Should I still take my fish oil & CLA supplement ? They have fat so I am trying to stick to protocol 100 % on this potato hack. I am assuming my others supplements like acv, potassium, multi vitamin, calcium, vitamin C, raspberry ketone, biotin, milk thistle, aminos are ok ?

Also I have some Bragg's amino and Bragg's nutritional yeast that I add to my foods and it has some calories but no fat so I'm thinking they should be ok to use as a seasoning ? I am worried about being constipated since I have mild IBS but I normally add fiber sprinkles to my food or have fiber crispbread I buy on Netrition. Going to give that a break but I do have some teas that help if I find myself constipated.

So far have planned for 3 days but if I can make it may just do 4 days. Can't wait for my weigh in on Friday. I so want to see 123-124 again.

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome !! Thanks ladies

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #1772
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
No expert here, but I sure didn't stop my oil-based capsule supplements and still lost. Took all my other supplements, too. I blow up like a balloon with water weight from Braggs aminos from the sodium (even off the PH), so I avoid it personally, whether I'm on or off the PH. But that's just me, I avoid most soy/sodium. I just use straight salt on my PH potatoes and not too much of that.

I know nothing about nutritional yeast, but after Googling it, it sure looks pretty innocent, but I'll let someone else weigh in on whether they think it will hurt your PH efforts.

Morning 2 of my third PH and the scale shows me down 2# today.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #1773
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
This is one of those 'it depends on what you think the mechanism of action is' responses.

If you think it's the insulin action then don't take your oils with hot potato although as the insulin response should be lower for cold potato, unless you're taking something in the order of 150kcals of oil calories to accompany (say) 100kcals of cold potato.

If the hack seems to work because it has the appetite-suppressing effect of a mono-food diet then I'd suggest that unless you're taking an additional 300kcals a day from your supplements, I'd doubt there's any good reason to omit them. (I wish there were some published research about this so that there could be more confidence in answering questions, but there isn't.)

I'd say take your supplements - if I'm wrong, I apologise but I'd hope that any error became apparent quite quickly.

ETA: because I lean to the reduced intake explanation, I would think that the aminos and NY would be OK as long as it didn't make your potatoes so tasty and desirable that you could eat them past the point of satiety.

Last edited by SlowSure; 07-21-2013 at 11:21 AM..
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #1774
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Ladies for the quick replies ! I think I'll be keeping in my supplements. I've kept them in on on 500 cal DD and still lost so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the PH will work for me.

Going to get them started in the crock pot and then the fridge. Going to try and eat them cold as well. Will keep everyone posted.

Thank you SlowSure & buttoni for the replies and great advice
Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #1775
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post

Morning 2 of my third PH and the scale shows me down 2# today.
It seems that when you don't lose it's your body's way of saying take a break for a day.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #1776
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It does, Oreo. So 2 days without loss will be when I end each of my hacks. I can read the writing on the wall when it's written so clearly each time. I tell ya, my 64 year old metabolism is one smart cookie. Sorry, that was an inexcusable word choice on a diet forum.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #1777
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrudq
Stats: 165/146/135
WOE: 5:2 now JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
So apparently, I am one of those people who do NOT do well with the PH. Tried it yesterday for the first time on my DD. Had coffee with coconut creamer (30cal) for breakfast. Did my run and a long walk in the afternoon and about 4pm ate my first meal. I microwaved 300 calories worth of yukons and then sprayed them with my EVOO mister and salt and pepper. My son, grabbed a fork and we ate them together. Still hungry, I made another one - same way. Within 20 minutes I had to go lay down and then slept for about an hour (I was tired anyways). Woke up groggy and miserable. Drank a bunch of water all evening and then finally went to bed at 9pm hungry and foggy.
I woke up this morning with a headache and ate a big protein breakfast. Feeling better now - but still have a tater hangover!
On the scale front - I did drop 2 pounds and am .2 under my last low of 5 days ago. Thankfully. It was a DD and could have nothing to do with the potatoes...
I don't understand the science enough to know what this all means. If I continue, will this help with insulin resistance, or is it futile? Or is this even insulin resistance? I found the potatoes really satisfying to eat and filling. If they hadn't made me feel so lousy, I would have had more last evening, but I didn't think it wise at the time.
If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #1778
Major LCF Poster!

So far my first DD of PH and boy are they filling ! Actually not too bad cold. Had 1 Yukon gold for Breakfast, 1 Idaho & another Yukon for lunch with lots of Malt Vinegar. I definitely can do this for 3 days, let's see if I can push it & make it to 4 days. I can see where you would get sick of potatoes though. They just look so unappetizing in my crock pot.

So far no bloat or any grogginess and energy is pretty good for a DD. I can't imagine eating double or more tomorrow on my UD but will definitely not be hungry.

Hope the scale is kind tomorrow
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #1779
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not so much into the science of how this works, so I'll let those that are answer your questions, Jrudq. I just know I've hot had any ill effects from eating carbs/potatoes, no grogginess, no headaches, no issues at all really. When I feel hungry or momentarily weak I just go eat a small potato (or 2) and that resolves the feeling in 5 minutes or less. In my 2 hacks, that scenario has only played out twice that I can recall, and it didn't happen after a long stretch without eating, as one would suspect, but instead, after only a 2-3 hour break from the last potato.

I'm now on day 3 of my 3rd hack, down 4# this morning, and haven't had a BG drop on this hack (yet). I just don't allow hunger to set in or linger. The minute I get hunger pangs, I stop what I'm doing and go eat 1-2 cold finger/new potatoes. I keep boiled tiny potatoes and larger baked potatoes cooked and ready in the fridge at all times.

I've been mildly hypoglycemic since my college days, so I recognize that weak feeling and actual "hand shakes" coming on and KNOW to get food in my stomach right away when it happens.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #1780
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Buttoni. I don't really know what is going on with me. I am not shakey, just, well, feel groggy and hungover and almost flu like. I ate again this morning and took two aspirin. Maybe that will help. And, I guess, it is possible my feeling so lousy has nothing to do with the potatoes...What concerns me most, is my response to this and what it means physiologically. I have a feeling it is not a great endorsement for my metabolism. Have been doing a few searches but not finding anything relevant yet...
IF I try it again, I don't think I will wait 18 hours and then eat a pile of potatoes. I will do the cold, and eat them more frequently.
Even after all of this, it still appeals to me and I want to try it again. Kinda crazy...
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #1781
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I've noticed in following the Potato Hack both here and over at *** that some folks have an initial negative reaction that resolves as they continue to do it. You might just keep hacking and see if it goes away--
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #1782
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I've noticed in following the Potato Hack both here and over at *** that some folks have an initial negative reaction that resolves as they continue to do it. You might just keep hacking and see if it goes away--
Thanks, O. I do feel that this is in someways a great solution for my DD hunger and issues. I also think that if I have issues again, I won't tough it out and I will just get some protein in me ASAP.

I appreciate your feedback.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 AM   #1783
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudq View Post
So apparently, I am one of those people who do NOT do well with the PH. ..Within 20 minutes I had to go lay down and then slept for about an hour (I was tired anyways). Woke up groggy and miserable. Drank a bunch of water all evening and then finally went to bed at 9pm hungry and foggy.
I woke up this morning with a headache and ate a big protein breakfast....
I don't understand the science enough to know what this all means. If I continue, will this help with insulin resistance, or is it futile?
The PH won't suit everyone. If you think it might have been more of a general issue than the PH itself, then you might want to try white rice as well as potatoes (I did when I was horribly ill but wanted to continue so tried out rice as well and improved but I have no history of blood sugar issues).

Nobody knows what the science is and if it differs for people at this point (I attribute the success of my PH to appetite suppression and its attendant caloric restriction, others feel differently about how they experienced theirs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora174 View Post
So far my first DD of PH and boy are they filling ! ... can see where you would get sick of potatoes though. They just look so unappetizing in my crock pot.
I found the PH taught me the distinction between hunger (willing to eat a potato when I really didn't fancy one) and being hungry for something (if I fancied something but decided to eat a potato instead at which point my appetite's response was, "Actually, I'm not that peckish"). I also realised the difference between eating to satiety and beyond that point (e.g., cleaning the plate and eating for entertainment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrudq View Post
.What concerns me most, is my response to this and what it means physiologically. I have a feeling it is not a great endorsement for my metabolism...
IF I try it again, I don't think I will wait 18 hours and then eat a pile of potatoes. I will do the cold, and eat them more frequently.
Maybe it's wise not to mix 2 things for you but to eat to satiety? Introduce elaborations such as timings when you have more experience of what PH is for you and more personal data as to how you respond?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #1784
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I'm now on day 3 of my 3rd hack, down 4# this morning, and haven't had a BG drop on this hack (yet). ..

I've been mildly hypoglycemic since my college days, so I recognize that weak feeling and actual "hand shakes" coming on and KNOW to get food in my stomach right away when it happens.
I'm so pleased that your positive experience of the PH is continuing for you.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #1785
Major LCF Poster!

First day of PH done & down -1.6. Not too bad but I am used to bigger drops after my DD. Going to stick it out for 3 days and then do a regular DD on Thursday. The big measure for me will be Friday's weigh in but also next week when I start eating normal how the fluctuations go.

After Day 1 I didn't find it difficult nor was I hungry. I kept it pretty basic with cold potatoes and malt vinegar. I will see if more calories as today is an UD gives me different results than yesterday. I'm hoping it works like the FF that I get bigger drops the 2nd and 3rd days.

Will keep everyone posted but so far so good
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #1786
Junior LCF Member

Well, I am happy to say, after my UD following my PH, I am only up .4 - which is quite excellent for a very full UD!
I am going to try the PH again today, but I am not going to wait all day and then eat a pile of potatoes! I also cooked them last night (in the crockpot - nice!) and they await me in the refrigerator.
Feel great this morning after my run and ready for a good DD.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #1787
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scale is down another pound today, 169. That's a milestone pound, as it puts me below my 3-year stall weight of 170. I struggled my way down to 160 last summer, but didn't hold the 160's for long, as I trialed Paleo for 4 months and gained back to 170 pretty quick. Fruit and honey and I clearly don't mix well.

To avoid much of a bounce this time when I suspend my hack, I'm going to try to eat just seasoned vegetables and only a couple ounces of meat at a meal. Will see how that works out. I hate that bounce up 2-4# each time I stop a hack. I'm sure it's water gain, but would like to stop the bounce if I can.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #1788
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

peggy--you are doing great. This clearly agrees with you. Keep up the great work!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #1789
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Ouiz. So glad I finally found something that DOES! Took me long enough. Just downed 2 lovely bowls of my Potato Hack Soup with a wee bit of green onion added before pureeing.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #1790
Junior LCF Member

Quick and big THANK YOU! Went to whole foods today and found malt vinegar, no sugar ketchup (both 5 cal a T) and jalepeno jack queso (25 calorie for 2T). OMG!!! Am I enjoying my potatoes! The malt vinegar and ketchup combo is fabulous and I CANNOT believe the queso is 12.5 cal a T! Quiz, I believe it was you who mentioned it and I was so happy I remembered it as I walked through the store.
I am thinking I could eat ALOT of potatoes this way...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #1791
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
The salsa con queso is really what keeps me so happy with the potato down days. I have always loved that stuff anyway. I usually take a BIG baker potato, bake til fluffy inside, halve and scoop out the innards; mix with 2 T. SCQ, 1 T. Costco's bacon bits (35 cals, 2.5 fat), a sliced green onion, tablespoon or so of salsa, bit of garlic and onion powders. Mix it up well, stuff back into the skins, sprinkle with paprika, and throw in a 400* oven til they start to brown up a bit on top.

They're good hot but equally good cold, and you can pick up the cold stuffed potato half and eat it out of hand. I like that, for some reason. One half is more than enough for a meal for me, so I get two good meals from one big 'tater.

Very low fat, low cal, satisfying, and tasty.

The other thing I like to do is cut up half a dozen or more potatoes into home fries - I quarter them lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2" wedges. Put those in a gallon ziplock, add 2 tsp. olive oil and a good shake of garlic salt, seal (don't press out the air, it helps if it's like a pillow!) and shake shake shake til all the pieces are coated. Spread out on nonstick foil or parchment paper on a large baking sheet and roast at 400* til browned. I usually do 30 minutes, then turn them over with a spatula, then roast another 12 minutes or so. Let cool (or not!) and you have plenty of 'taters for a couple meals at least. This is DH's fave - he finds them pretty easy to eat at work this way, with a little Tabasco. At home he likes the malt vinegar and a very little chopped fresh onion.

He is the KING of "MUST EAT NOW!" and this is working so well for him! This morning he tried just coffee til lunchtime and said he held up really well with it. He's also down an overall 6 pounds in 2 weeks so he's QUITE pleased about THAT.

If you're doing the potato hack as a down day, knowing that the next day you can have what you want (within reason) is just so liberating. Makes this seem not at ALL like a "diet" (in the bad connotation of that word) and more like - hey, this is all GOOD!

And I too thank Ouis and the others who have gone before me here! So much great info shared! OF course Ouis has ALWAYS been so generous with her knowledge, since way back when as we went through Weight Watchers! This is EVER so much better though.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 07-23-2013 at 02:05 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #1792
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lol! I'll say it's better, ha!! So glad it is working for your dear DH, and I am totally in agreement about SCQ. I live for that stuff! The Target brand is the best, especially the Poblano--
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #1793
Major LCF Poster!

a ? for those that do PH as a DD

So far so good for me on the PH, on day 2 of a 3 day possibly 4 day hack. I am doing the 5:2 plan and am considering doing the PH for my DDs but I realize I would need to get more creative than just cold with malt vinegar

Do you guys that do the PH for your DD see better results ? Is it just because they are so filling ? Please enlighten me or share your experiences. Thanks !!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #1794
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
lol! I'll say it's better, ha!! So glad it is working for your dear DH, and I am totally in agreement about SCQ. I live for that stuff! The Target brand is the best, especially the Poblano--
What? WHAT?! Poblano SCQ!!! Man I gotta look for that. I have to return a miniblind there so will look - thanks Ouisue!!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #1795
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm going to have to check my local Target for this Salsa con Queso. I don't think I've ever looked in the grocery area.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #1796
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Had my first UPP day and am at 960 calories. Don't want to go way overboard.

Tomorrow will be a DD but I am going out to lunch. Can we have a large baked potato,
with salsa and some broccoli or lettuce salad? We are meeting at the Sizzler and
I want to do well. I bought a five lb. bag of potatoes today at the .99 store.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #1797
Gadget Gal

Barbo, I do that - this morning (as we do every Tuesday morning) went to breakfast with my Mom. I ordered a baked potato, salsa, and pickled jalapenos. Mixed the salsa in with the potato, chopped the peppers up and added those, and for good measure, put in a little Tapatio hot sauce too!

I don't do any other veggies though - just the taters. NOW if you're doing a non-potato-hack down day, I don't see a problem with it - but if you're doing the potato hack, from what I've read you're best to stick as close to just potatoes as possible, with a couple little things as condiments perhaps.

Salsa, vinegar (malt vinegar is yummy with taters!), salt & pepper, some of that nommy Salsa con Queso cheese sauce (VERY low in fat/cals), SF ketchup - that kind of stuff seems OK.

Good luck! We are DIGGIN' this around our house!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #1798
Major LCF Poster!

2nd day of PH and down -1.4 so that is 3 lbs in 2 days. Today doing PH Day and still not sure if I will do my DD day tomorrow regular or PH. I feel fine and I've noticed my IBS symtpoms are less. Last night was the first time I felt a little off. Hard to explain but not a big deal, this morning I feel fine. Friday is my big weigh in & as long as I am below my last DD 126.8 and I can see a more downward trend next week I will call it a success !
Old 07-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #1799
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
I went off the potato hack for dinner last night. I had two dinner rolls. Shortly after dinner I started having stomach issues that led to a race for the potty. Has anyone had this sort of distress? It could be unrelated but I have been wondering lately if I have some gluten intolerance (usually gassy). Sorry TMI. I was wondering if the bread was too much after having gone so long with out eating it (LC).
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #1800
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Could be the reintroduction of carbs. Would be hard to pinpoint your issue. But more likely it was the abrupt, richer (in comparison to plain potatoes) fat and protein you had with those two rolls that caused that reaction. I had some potty issues on my last break between hacks, too. And I did NOT eat 2 dinner rolls. So it might be the abrupt reintroduction of fat and protein that causes that response. I plan to always do what SlowSure recommended to me, to reintroduce those slowly over a couple days and not abruptly. That prevented the gastric response for me when I went out for my anniversary dinner on the 19th. I planned for it and stopped my hack 2 days earlier.
Closed Thread