Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #1741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
It worked, Jeany. I think only 3.5 min in my microwave will do it. They got crisp, and they were baked taters sliced as thin as I could (about 1/4") thick. Any thinner and they'd have fallen apart on me; if not, they'd require even less time. Nice to know I can do these from cooked though, rather than raw and have to get out the Rival slicer. Tasted about the same as those from raw, too, just much quicker to table (or perhaps I should say mouth ).

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #1742
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanyyy
Stats: 227.1/160.4/155/5'6"
WOE: HCG-Omni/Intermountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
(or perhaps I should say mouth ).
LOL... I giggled out loud when I read this My experience, too! Glad to know they work also
Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #1743
Senior LCF Member

Ummm.. do NOT crank the oven to 400, set timer for 25 minutes and go back downstairs... a) you may not hear the timer and b) 25 minutes is too long. Burnt potato chips!
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #1744
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
Quote:
No loss on the scale for me today. I'll have to try the already cooked/cold slices 4 min. in the MW, Jeanyyy. I have been baking up a dozen potatoes all at one time, chilling them so I always have the cooked ones handy.

You may need to skip a day or two of the PH to trick your fat cells. They may be on to you. It seemed to have worked that way for you when your first hack stopped working. Please keep posting. I haven't stuck with the ph for as many days in a row as you but I am losing for the first time in years.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #1745
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If the scale doesn't go down in the morning, Oreo, I think I will let up until after my anniversary Friday. I was planning on slowly introducing fat/butter on my taters tomorrow anyway, and then eating some protein Thursday to slowly prepare my gut to receive my celebratory dinner Friday night. I have had one smart set point system for many years, so you just might be on to something. Today is day 12, so a break is in order anyway. I'll pick it up Sat or Sunday again.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-16-2013 at 06:02 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #1746
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hey all! I'm new to the JUDDD and particularly the potato hack - I've read through some of this but 59 pages - yikes! So forgive me if some of this has already been discussed.

From what I can gather, the real thing here is the resistant starch in the potatoes - and THAT is formed when the potato is cooked and then cooled. So what is everyone's impression of this? I mean, we've been eating potatoes hot and cold and I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in my appetite satiety between the two?

Also other things mentioned that are high in resistant starch - slightly green bananas, whole grains cooked and cooled before eating, corn cooked/cooled, roasted and cooled chickpeas, amongst other things.

So far DH and I are truly LOVING our down day potato days. We started last week with this (thanks Ouis!) and he's down about 4 net pounds, I'm down a couple. If it's really gonna make a difference to eat stuff cold rather than hot, then I'm all over it.

Discuss please!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 07-16-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #1747
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Char--when I potato hack, I usually try and eat my daytime potatoes cold with vinegar and my nighttime ones hot. Dunno if it makes a dif, but it is my little nod to RS. I think there may also be something to the "glucose spike in the absence of fat thing," tho I am not so sure about that one.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1748
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The only difference in cold and hot is RS. You will lose weight with both.

However, RS is resistant starch and truly it is good for us, but in all honesty, it depends on what you are after. If you are simply after the health benefits, then enjoy cold taters, green bananas, plantains, cold rice, etc and you will receive the best of both worlds. If you are looking for plain weight loss and no worries about any other benefits then hot is just as good and effective as cold.

It took me several months of studying to figure out why I should prefer Resistant Starch over starch. If you would like to know more about RS, there is more than you will ever want to find here.... Resistant Starch “Favours a normal colon metabolism”. RS fights diabetes, cancer, and bowel disease such as Crohn's and IBS.

How Resistant Starch Works | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Movement for more resistant starch in your diet | CSIRO

Iowa State researchers charting health benefits of slowly digested starches - News Service - Iowa State University
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #1749
Gadget Gal

THank you BOTH so very much!

I think we'll eat some hot and some cold (which is pretty much what we've been doing anyway!) and maybe throw some cold rice or beans in there every now and again!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #1750
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Lots of resistance in cold beans and rice as well.

I have decided that diversity is sanity.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:30 AM   #1751
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Diversity is definitely sanity

Because so many of my current calorie allowances have to be allocated to MCT oil (part of my migraine management protocol), I supplement with unmodified potato starch on UDs to be sure of getting the resistant starch I want for my gut bacteria

MCT and potato starch powder - my diet is very different than I would ever have envisaged. But, here I am, free of migraine pain, so I should continue with this, for at least as long as the UK heatwave lasts and then I might experiment with a little less MCT which would free up some calories for 'proper food'
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 AM   #1752
Senior LCF Member

Down 1.3 lbs this am to 169.8 - despite an almost sleepless night. I finally got up around 3 am and had 3 SF fibre gummies and a Grissini breadstick, and read for a while. Eventually I did fall asleep only to wake to the alarm at 6 a.m. Gonna be a looong day!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #1753
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WTG Jeanyyy. Well I'm down a total of 10# this PH round and stopping officially today, not to resume until Saturday, after my anniversary celebratory dinner Friday night. I hope I don't carb/fat/protein bounce up too much in that 3 days. I'm so pleased this seems to be working for me and will defo use this WL tool again and again to jar my well-honed, VERY smart metabolic set-point system and hopefully, get to goal weight. Absolutely nothing else has worked for me, so what have I got to lose (figuratively, and 20 more pounds literally, he,he,he).
Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #1754
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
Buttoni, I will be looking for your posts! I think I have been struggling with set point weight issues myself. If you start to lose again after a break then that tells me it is necessary to have the switch up. I have been aiming for 3-5 consecutive ph days and I do lose 2-3 pounds. I do have a weight bounce on off days but it still seems to be over all forward progress. I haven't stuck with it as long as you have but keep trying.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #1755
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanyyy View Post
Down 1.3 lbs this am to 169.8
Quote:
WTG Jeanyyy. Well I'm down a total of 10# this PH round and stopping officially today, not to resume until Saturday, after my anniversary celebratory dinner Friday night.
I'm so pleased for both of you. I hope that you have a lovely anniversary, Buttoni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo2 View Post
If you start to lose again after a break then that tells me it is necessary to have the switch up. I have been aiming for 3-5 consecutive ph days and I do lose 2-3 pounds.
At the risk of repeating myself, our bodies are plenty smart and think we're ridiculous for attempting to fritter away this nice reserve that they've built up against future famine. Bless them.

There are tens of thousands of processes busily at work, regulating our bodies and when it comes to our fat reserves, we can only influence a few of them. We do what we can including giving ourselves a potato holiday from time to time.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #1756
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

"Bless them"? Slow, I curse mine, and on a REGULAR basis! I don't like that it's smarter than me. But I am pleased that the PH seems to be able to fool the clever little devil. And thank you for your kind words and support. This body of mine needs all the cheering it can get. I am DETERMINED to get to goal by year's end, by hook, or crook or potatoes! LOL 4 years is LONG ENOUGH!

Last edited by buttoni; 07-17-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Old 07-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #1757
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Happy anniversary Buttoni and congratulations on losing the 10 pounds!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #1758
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you, Babs. Looking forward to the dinner out and seeing what a 3rd PH will do for me.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #1759
Senior LCF Member

Yes, happy anniversary, Peggy!! You may find that you continue to lose after ending the PH if you're careful re adding fats back.... I did, the first time.

I'm actually wavering a bit here. I was planning on PHing through Friday, then doing P3 type eating for the weekend and then another PH for Monday to Friday and loading for another HCG round on July 27-28th.... But I'm feeling a bit deprived atm, craving different foods, etc so I may change my plans - I think it would be good to ease up to P4 levels by the time I load (not to mention enjoy some healthy carbs like steel cut oatmeal etc). I'll see what the scale says tomorrow as far as this Thursday and Friday are concerned. I would like to get a little more solidly into the 160s before moving on and human nature being what it is, if I see a loss again tomorrow (or even if I don't), I'll be tempted to soldier on with PH at least for the rest of this workweek.

I was so not hungry for potatoes that I only had one cold boiled one today, about 3 pm. I had had a Starbucks venti americano with hwc that I finished around 11 a.m.... and had brought two cooked potatoes with me to the office, but... I was not hungry and didn't have the means to make them very interesting, anyway. I just put a little hot sauce on the one I did have. Then I stopped at Costco on the way home, and oh boy.. *everything* looked good!! I had a couple of samples, minor stuff, but could feel the wavering begin. When I got home, I had the other potato, warmed up with onion, on a bed of lettuce with a smidge of balsamic reduction and a few dried cranberries. Then I took the last medium-ish red potato and made chips. And that's what I've eaten today. Finishing off a pot of black cherry berry herbal tea at the moment and will head off to bed. Goodnight, everyone!

Last edited by Jeanyyy; 07-18-2013 at 01:48 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #1760
Senior LCF Member

Well, I bounced back up the 1.3 lbs, so sitting at 171.1. Tuesday I had a relatively sleepless night but I managed to get through the office day on Wednesday... then this morning, I did NOT hear my alarm. Woke up at 10:30 to a phone call from my dentist office and not feeling well at all. Cancelled my appointment and am taking a sick day. Bah!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #1761
Gadget Gal

Well, kids, I'm trying the rice! I cooked up a cup of short-grain brown rice in 2 cups of FF chicken broth (the stuff that Costco has, organic and very tasty) yesterday - chilled it off and had probably 2/3 of a cup, with a little soy sauce, about an hour ago. Hadn't had anything else but a cup of decaf with a splash of half & half about 7:30 this morning.

So we'll see how it works! Eating it cold is supposed to activate the RS, from what I read, we'll see how my body responds to it. If I get shaky and/or hungry I'll know I better just stick with taters.

Which is what I plan to have for dinner, half of a large twice-baked potato (green onions, SCQ, a few bacon bits, paprika on top). I still think the potato has a lot more nutrients than the brown rice, although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #1762
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I still think the potato has a lot more nutrients than the brown rice, although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.
Potato has a lot more nutrients than rice - I just had to include rice because my GI system started acting up so early into the hack.

I ate white rice (mostly in the form of congee or idli) or sprouted brown rice which was good but a lot of faff although it did make me feel that I was trying to add in some of the nutrients that I was missing by not always eating potato and having so much appetite suppression that I needed nutrient density for what I did eat.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1763
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I only tried the PH for one DD, not for multiple days, but I'm trying to not fast right now, and am having some unexplained weight gain. I plan to give it a little while longer as I'm going, but I'm really tempted to try the hack for 3 days and see what happens, just eating to satiety. Thinking . . .
Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #1764
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm trying to not fast right now, and am having some unexplained weight gain. I plan to give it a little while longer as I'm going, but I'm really tempted to try the hack for 3 days and see what happens, just eating to satiety. Thinking . . .
Dawn, KeyTones has started a thread that might be of interest to you in parts: Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting
Old 07-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #1765

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am doing the hack today!!! Well, started today and plan on going til Monday. I leave on Tues for my trip to Japan and want to drop a few pounds. I say "plan to" because my 19th wedding anniversary is on Friday and we have a coupon (expires at the end of the month) for free food at a restaurant that we have not tried yet. I could possibly just eat a potato, or could wait til Monday to use it. But with day #1 of the hack on today, I am waiting at least 3 days before going out! Looking forward to getting on the scale tomorrow to see how I did today. So far, so good!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #1766

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Dawn, KeyTones has started a thread that might be of interest to you in parts: Stephan Guyenet Recommendations - Reduce Food Reward in Paleo Setting
I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #1767

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Well, day #1 of the potato hack done and behind me. I am down 2.2 lbs!!! WooHoo!!!

This is my menu from yesterday;

AM--2 cups of coffee with cream (last one at 11AM)
starting around 3, maybe 4PM, I had baby yellow potatoes- warm out of the oven
6:30PM I had the rest of the bag of baby yellow potatoes- cold from the fridge. The bag was a total of 1.5 lbs. and I had the entire batch yesterday. I also slipped in some dark chocolate and 11 oz of coconut water.

Today will be pretty much the same--just finished my 2nd cup of coffee. Today is my anniversary and am a bit sad I won't be going out to dinner tonight, but will hold off til Sunday. I really want this hack to work!!! So glad that my 3rd attempt is still yielding losses.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #1768
Senior LCF Member

Down 2.2 lbs this a.m. after easing (sort of) back into P3 style eating, about 1700 calories, 99 grams of protein. 168.9, a new low! I think I was eating too little towards the end of my PH and therefore hanging onto fat. Still stopped up, though....
Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #1769
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pandora174
Stats: 248/123-125/125
WOE: hHCG, 5:2, JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Hi everyone ! I've been doing 5:2 for 8 weeks and IF 16/8 for 5 weeks. Really just trying to maintain. My first 3 weeks of 5:2 I saw a small but steady downward trend and went from 124.8 to 123.6 but the last 4 weeks I've been going up when I added back in exercise. Last DD weigh in was 126.8.

Going to give the potato hack a try and see if I can lose a few lbs and hopefully see less fluctuations on my UD and go back to my downward trends on 5:2 without having to add more DDs. So far hoping for a 3 day PH. Mon-DD, Tues/Wed UD. Thurs which is my normal DD if I can handle it I'll make it 4 days of PH or if not a regular DD. Hope next Friday's weigh in I can see 123-124 again

Going to stick to basic boiled potatoes with s/p & malt vinegar. Maybe I'll get a little creative on my UD and broil them or make french fries. I hope my coffee with fat free h&h is ok because I can't stomach plain coffee. Hoping for the best !
Old 07-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #1770
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Let me wish you both good luck with your PH starts, Dawn and Pandora.

Pandora, I'm finding that although I have always preferred coffee with cream, I've been able to drink it now with just Steviva (stevia and erythritol) in it and am not finding is so bad. But I'm on my 3rd hack and it's just now getting easier to drink it black (with sweetener). Maybe if I keep doing PH's, I can ditch the cream in my coffee for good. I'd like very much to be able to do that. Then I'll tackle ditching the sweetener.......but I'm a "one thing at a time" kinda gal.

Resumed my 3rd hack today at 174 (4# bounce up, as dinner was quite salty last night). Had a lovely anniversary dinner last night. I ordered bacon/jalapeno/cheese wrapped shrimp and what else? a baked potato, of course. I allowed myself butter and chives on it. had a cup of lobster bisque, but didn't eat the not-so-good rice pilaf that was on the shrimp plate!

Last edited by buttoni; 07-20-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Closed Thread