Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #1681
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanyyy
Stats: 227.1/160.4/155/5'6"
WOE: HCG-Omni/Intermountain
Curious about one thing... When you've ended your Potato (only) Hack, do you continue to eat some potato in the following days? I have a sweet potato in the kitchen that is calling my name, but I also want to have it with some chicken.

I'm getting ready to go to Portland in a few days for the blues festival and want to be eating more or less "normally" by then, so hopefully the fair food won't hit me quite as harshly. Thank goodness the hotel has a breakfast buffet sort of thing so at least one meal might be healthy. I'll get some fruit for the room, as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #1682
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Yes, Slow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too. I'm going to resume Round 2 of my Potato Hack on Wednesday. My website made it to 1,000,000 hits today!! I've said to DH now for 4 years that when I hit 1,000,000 visitors, we were celebrating at Cheeves Brothers Steak House, the nicest restaurant in town. Steak and their wonderful creamed spinach is on the menu.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #1683
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanyyy View Post
Curious about one thing... When you've ended your Potato (only) Hack, do you continue to eat some potato in the following days? I have a sweet potato in the kitchen that is calling my name, but I also want to have it with some chicken.

I'm getting ready to go to Portland in a few days for the blues festival and want to be eating more or less "normally" by then, so hopefully the fair food won't hit me quite as harshly. Thank goodness the hotel has a breakfast buffet sort of thing so at least one meal might be healthy. I'll get some fruit for the room, as well.
I have been more successful when I resumed back to my usual paleo low carb diet. I have tried to transition to a mcdougall diet (starch based) but end up with fatigue and end up overeating. I'm not saying I've given up on it.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #1684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Eat it if you want it. After 28 days, I was only too ready to relegate any more potato to DH for the next few weeks.

Have a super time at the festival.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #1685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
'm going to resume Round 2 of my Potato Hack on Wednesday. My website made it to 1,000,000 hits today!! I've said to DH now for 4 years that when I hit 1,000,000 visitors, we were celebrating at Cheeves Brothers Steak House, the nicest restaurant in town.
1,000,000 hits is some milestone. Many congratulations

Creamed spinach is a thing of loveliness when executed well and it sounds like that Steak House knows what it is doing.

I'll be so interested to see what happens during Round 2 of your PH.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #1686
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Slow. You know I'll post how Round 2 goes for me.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #1687
Senior LCF Member

I may have overdone the starch yesterday. I had oatmeal, a pumpkin seed cracker (one serving), and about 170 grams of sweet potato yesterday, the last 70 or so umm.. quite close to bedtime. I'm up 0.4 today to 170.4. Not sweating it, but possibly that last 70 grams of sweet potato wasn't exactly needed
Old 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #1688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I took a hiatus this weekend from Saturday dinner to Sunday dinner (about a 26 hour hiatus). This actually feels pretty good - felt good Saturday, Sunday, and have plenty of energy today. It improves three days. I have problems with fatigue on the potato hack.

I noticed my daughter stopped eating (she just feels like she will "barf" she said if she eats another potato), so I made curried vegetables with garbanzo beans over brown rice and she started eating again. Of course, I can't stay out of this (delicious), so I will report back on how well this works.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1689
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
I got the mastrad microwave potato chip maker and it is awesome!!! I tried both russet and white, the white potato taste the best. I patted the slices with a paper towel, salt them and microwaved for 5 min and they tasted just like potato chips! I see that pampered chef makes the same trays. I've seen that you can put the slices on a paper towel but I think the key is the air circulating underneath the trays. I am pleased.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #1690
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, I will have to look into the chip maker.

I can report back already. My daughter announced the rice is not working. I have to agree. By the time I went to bed I had eaten a lot more than usual. Sigh.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #1691
Senior LCF Member

Hmmm up .8 again today to 171.1. I had just under 1700 calories, including 3 starches again (oatmeal, sweet potato, WW hamburger bun), 45% fat, 26% protein, 28% net carbs. Maybe 3 starches is too many?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #1692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
I just have to join this thread to read about this! Very intriguing! Now back to the OP.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #1693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
I just have to join this thread to read about this! Very intriguing! Now back to the OP.
Could this be done successfully for only a couple of days per week - like the weekend? I have a huge craving for potato salad right now and I'd like to try this on the weekend, eating nothing but Potato salad- no fat but with vinegar and spices...Could one go back to very high Fat-mod protein after that for a week or do you have to do the pototo hack for several days in a row to have it work? Sorry if this has all been answered before but i'm only on page 11 of the thread and haven't really seen any mention of anybody doing it for only a couple of days at a time....thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1694
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Could this be done successfully for only a couple of days per week - like the weekend? I have a huge craving for potato salad right now and I'd like to try this on the weekend, eating nothing but Potato salad- no fat but with vinegar and spices...Could one go back to very high Fat-mod protein after that for a week or do you have to do the pototo hack for several days in a row to have it work? Sorry if this has all been answered before but i'm only on page 11 of the thread and haven't really seen any mention of anybody doing it for only a couple of days at a time....thanks
I only do potato DD's but I am in maintenance and not trying to lose anymore.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #1695
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Could this be done successfully for only a couple of days per week - like the weekend?...Could one go back to very high Fat-mod protein after that for a week or do you have to do the pototo hack for several days in a row to have it work?
It depends. I could be wrong but I think that would work if you were using it as a way of reducing your calorie intake over the weekend and giving yourself the equivalent of a carb re-feed without the fat that might promote its storage as bodyfat.

If you were doing it for a different reason, I'm not sure if you could cycle like that - but it might be worth an experiment.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #1696
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Maybe 3 starches is too many?
Who knows? At the risk of seeming indelicate, the uptick might reflect the amount of volume that you're carrying in your GI tract (IYSWIM) with these extra carbs.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #1697
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Grayson
Good afternoon:
I have a question about the ph, I have tried it for two dd and I noticed "uneasy" energy, like I wanted to run around. I did do that during the day, but even woke me up at night. Anyone else have a weird "rush"?
Diane
Old 07-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #1698
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I call that the fasting "energy burst". Or at least for me, I sometimes had trouble sleeping on fasting days. Not always. In the studies that were done on IF, I believe it was Mattson that found that female mice would do the same thing. It is very interesting.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #1699
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Grayson
Thanks Sunday. I have tried to do some research to see if it is common.....but I haven't come up with anything yet.
Diane
Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #1700
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Diane,
If you have blood sugar issues, such as pre-diabetes that could also be the feeling that you describe of unease. If you have time to scroll back to the beginning of this thread, you will read of many who had this same issue w/ potato only meals.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #1701
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Resumed my PH on the 5th. Down 5# already! This time I won't stop until July 19th (if I can last that long). The 19th is my 44th Wedding Anniversary and we always eat out. I'll see if this WL pattern continues. I only did it for 5 days last time. I tend to eat half my potato meals cold; half hot (either as soup, baked or dry fried). Don't put much on them but salt and pepper, lemon pepper or my Seafood Spice Blend. I want sooooo bad to have some butter on them, but have not caved and had any.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Resumed my PH on the 5th. Down 5# already! This time I won't stop until July 19th (if I can last that long). The 19th is my 44th Wedding Anniversary and we always eat out. ...I want sooooo bad to have some butter on them, but have not caved and had any.
I'm so pleased for you

Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary - with that and your blog milestone, this is quite the exciting few weeks for you.

Well done on resisting the butter. If your celebration meal is likely to involve some fat then you might want to stop your PH 3-4 days before it in order to re-introduce the fat gradually and avoid any discomfort on its reintroduction.

Best wishes for your continued success.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #1703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mamatomany
WOE: PHD
Start Date: 1/17/13
Well I see some of my P hD friends are on this thread so here goes some potato hack questions. Can anyone explain why I feel happy doing potato fasts? Why does your tummy get flat from doing them? Besides weightless, can you tell me the other benefits of this? I know for me just doing a 3 day hack gives me so much energy and I feel so good during them. Plus TOM hits and I want to eat everything that is not nailed down and it keeps me focused!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #1704
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I notice the happy feeling too. I wondered why I went so long without potato? Somewhere at the beginning of this thread, we spoke about the book "Potatoes Not Prozac". In that book, she explains why potatoes can heal and boost the mood. The potato creates an insulin response which has an effect on the movement of the amino acid tryptophan from your blood into your brain.

Quote:
Your body uses tryptophan to make serotonin. Serotonin is the brain chemical that makes you feel mellow and happy. It also helps you to 'just say no' by putting the brakes on your impulsivity.

Tryptophan is a kind of amino acid, which comes from protein. When you eat protein foods (meats, cheese, eggs, birds, etc.), it is broken down into amino acids. They go into your blood stream and try to get into the brain as "brain food". Tryptophan is a little runty amino acid. The other amino acids compete with him and won't let him get across into the brain.

When you eat a food that causes an insulin reaction, the insulin goes and gets the 'big' aminos and takes them to the muscles to be used as muscle food. The muscles don't really care about the runt so he stays behind. When he is left behind after the big guys go to the muscles, he hops into the brain and sacrifices himself to the serotonin factory. And your serotonin levels rise.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #1705
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatomany View Post
Can anyone explain why I feel happy doing potato fasts? Why does your tummy get flat from doing them? Besides weightless, can you tell me the other benefits of this?
Nobody knows for certain what is happening during the PH and the effects aren't the same for everyone so it's not possible to generalise or even speculate about some of the positive aspects for you.

However, Yennie has a good overview and discussion of PH in the first few posts of her journal that may be of interest to you: My Potato Hacking Journal

I like Sunday's explanation about tryptophan
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #1706
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I'm so pleased for you

Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary - with that and your blog milestone, this is quite the exciting few weeks for you.

Well done on resisting the butter. If your celebration meal is likely to involve some fat then you might want to stop your PH 3-4 days before it in order to re-introduce the fat gradually and avoid any discomfort on its reintroduction.
Thanks, Slow. Am down 6# the first 4 days. I had actually thought about the need to gradually reintroducing fat/meat just yesterday. I'll definitely do that by adding butter to my potatoes the last few days. That's shouldn't be too painful, as I'm really craving butter doing this.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #1707
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just made real potato chips in the MW! And they're very good! Not my recipe. Saw it over on REMcooks website, a wonderful cook up in the Dallas area. Only thing I discovered is you've really got to watch them, as they'll burn if cooked too long. I burned maybe 3-4 of my 3 trays full.

It's important to cut them uniformly 1/8" thick (thinner and they tend to burn; thicker and they puff, look odd and don't get so crisp). You soak them in a bowl of cold water to avoid discoloring and lay them on microwaveable paper-towel or parchment-lined tray (I just used the glass platform in my MW), salt and cook around 7 minutes (give or take).

I just don't like using mandolins. I have one, but am just not impressed and junked it. They are just so dangerous. A professional chef I chat with on CookEatShare showed a pic of her serious cut finger last week. I used a fairly inexpensive Rival slicer I got at Walmart last year (on-line) to cut my potatoes. At least with that, I have a huge plastic holder that really grips the food that lies between my hand and the blade.

Just so ya know, the above basket is about 10" long and 5" wide and contains most of what I got cooking exactly 16 oz. of potato. And it took 3 batches to cook that amount.

Length of cook time will vary due to thickness of potato slices and your microwave. Most of my slices were done in 7-8 minutes, but some only needed 6 min (and burned because I was putting groceries DH bought at the same time), some needed 8-9 minutes. Ya just have to watch them and pull the individual chips out as they are ready. I'm very pleased to have a snack that seems like the real deal! Here's what they looked like:

Last edited by buttoni; 07-11-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #1708
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I forgot to mention the above pic was exactly 16 oz. of potato, minus the few slices that burned.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #1709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
wow...i could so do potato chips just now...i have a mandolin, but it's not the best, have to look for the rival slicer...any search hints?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #1710
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rival Model

I ordered it from Walmart's main website. Rival model 1042-WN. Cost somewhere around $35. I would prefer one with a larger platform (wider swing), as I can't put a whole party ham on mine, but the bigger/better ones are pretty pricey at $100 and up most of them. I was looking for function and cheap. But it will take things the size of square cheese slices and hard salami (about 4" range). And of course potatoes. You can adjust the blade position for different thickness in your slices. It serves my needs. The blade is VERY sharp and is removable for easy washing up.

Here's a pic of the slicer folded up (cord stows in the base):
Here's a pic of it set up with the two removable slide feeder/food pusher in place. Those must be stored separately, unfortunately:
That big knob on the right is how you adjust the blade position for the thickness you want.

Last edited by buttoni; 07-11-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Closed Thread