Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #1621
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.2/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
On my potato DD's I eat my regular coffee with HWC and 2 eggs for breakfast. I then wait about 6 hours and then start the cold boiled potatoes. I prefer the gold potatoes for my DD's. I am in maintenance so the potatoes allow me to have around 600 calories with no gains. Maybe trying a protein breakfast and then potatoes might work. I love to eat the cold boiled potatoes with a little salt and that is all.
Thanks for your input Adi! I too love them boiled, cold, and with just a little salt and also pepper for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
Man, I'm down 9# in just 5 days. Simply amazing. I'm in utter disbelief at how this is working for me. Today will be my off day. I had eggs, 2 bacon and 4 oz. hashbrowns for breakie. Making mini-meatza pizza bites for lunch. We plan on Indian tandoori chicken for supper. Than it's back to the potato regimen Round 2 tomorrow.
I am SO HAPPY for you!!!

The success stories are making me want to find a way to continue working with potatoes on DD. I'm now thinking I might try more frequent feedings and smaller doses. We shall see.

Beth

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #1622
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
The smaller feedings and more frequent potato consumption is kinda how I'm doing it, DG. I'm not diabetic, but I find a small 5 oz. potato is all I can handle at my 3 main meals. Then I get hungry between meals around 9"30 am, 3pm, 9pm (something I rarely do on regular Atkins). So I'm eating 1/2 of a 5 oz. potato or 3-4 3/4" babies for snacks in-between meals to quell those hunger pangs. I try to not let myself get overwhelmed with hunger or I get hypoglycemic symptoms real bad (I've always been like that) I get weak, dizzy and hands shake real bad if I get too hungry). When that happens I can very easily lose my food self-control and just eat the first thing in sight to stop it. And so far, this tact is working for me on my Potato Hack. I just have to be sure I don't let my "off" day turn in to an OFF-OFF-UP-AND-AWAY day. LOL

Last edited by buttoni; 06-22-2013 at 07:29 AM..
Old 06-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #1623
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Happy for you Buttoni! 9 pounds is a lot in 5 days. Interested in hearing how you next 6 days go.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #1624
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeanyyy
Stats: 227.1/160.4/155/5'6"
WOE: HCG-Omni/Intermountain
I think I'm a kind of "accidental" hacker.. I bought a few potatoes last week, thinking I might try the PH "one day soon" but without any specific date in mind... Then today, I got up late, had my 2 cups of coffee with hwc (done by 2pm) and went out to Walmart. Did some clothes shopping and food shopping and it was 5:30 or so and I realized I hadn't eaten yet. I was going to go to the food court and suddenly thought... Hmm, go home, cook some potatoes and... perfect opportunity!

So I did. I put 2 russets in the oven to bake and boiled some white nuggets and got busy putting purchases away. By the time that was done, so were the nuggets. I had about 10 oz, some with a tsp or so of queso salsa, some with s&p and malt vinegar...

Just now, almost 10 pm, I ate about 4-5 oz of a baked russet with a little leftover gravy. I'm laughing at myself because this was so unplanned. I still have 1 1/2 cooked russets and 2 oz maybe of boiled nuggets, all in the fridge. We'll see how tomorrow goes - I'll have to go out and buy some more taters!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #1625
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The smaller feedings and more frequent potato consumption is kinda how I'm doing it, DG.
Hope your off day went well Buttoni!

I was thinking more about the PH and still wanting to figure out if there is a way to work it on my DDs. Since I still have potatos cooked and in the frige, I may try smaller more frequent meals as you are doing and see if I can keep my BG under control that way. I'm thinking 10 oz at once was just too much.

So 20 oz of boiled potatoes with skins = 492 cals according to my tracker so I will divide that up into 5 or 6 equal portions and check BG after at least a couple of them and see what that does. I really liked the comfort food effect on my first couple of DDs. I didn't get that yesterday with what I ate.

I love experimenting! Can't wait to hear about your day off.

Beth
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #1626
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I bounced up 1# on my off day apparently. I ate eggs, bacon and fried potato for breakie; mini meatzas for lunch; steak and steamed broccoli for din-din. Snack was a slice of low-carb bread toasted with butter. Today I'm right back on the potato routine. Hopefully round 2 will go as well as round 1 went for me. And if I only bounce 1# on off days, I think that's a good plan for me. 10 oz. at a main meal and a little less for in-between snacks is working nicely for me.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #1627
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200(190)/140.4(181)/140 64yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Buttoni, that sounds like a plan!!! I'm looking forward to see how this works for you! Keep us posted!!
Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #1628
Senior LCF Member

Down 0.5 lbs after my first PH day... looking forward to seeing if it continues!
Old 06-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #1629
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Will do, Shari. And I'll be rootin' for you, too, Jeanyyy. This hack is doing wonders to break my 3 year stall and shed my recent gained weight. Best of all, it's giving me some hope where there just was almost none for me ever losing, on ANY plan.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #1630
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
This hack is doing wonders to break my 3 year stall and shed my recent gained weight. Best of all, it's giving me some hope where there just was almost none for me ever losing, on ANY plan.
Fingers and toes in all sorts of superstitious knots that this continues for you
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #1631
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, SlowSure. It's probably gonna take all those superstitious knots in my case. LOL
Old 06-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #1632
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
I've been reading through the many potato hack threads and started today. I have been doing 5:2 for about 4 weeks. I lift weights 3x week and do elliptical 3x week. I am seeing changes in my shape but no weight loss on the scale. I am pleased but would like to see the weight drop. I have been LC for years and lost about 50 lbs. I gained back 30 after I turned 40 with no changes in diet or fitness.

I had some potato with lc dinner last night (UD), and potato only for breakfast and lunch today. So far, so good. But I can't seem to stay out of the bathroom! I am peeing like crazy! Has anyone had this happen? I did find out that I can't lift weights after a down day. I try to do weights and then fast. Has anyone had any issues with lifting weights on the potato hacK? I do Less Mills BodyPump if that helps.

Thanks for the wealth of info (scientific and anecdotal)!!!

Edited to add: I have never had any issues with diabetes.

Last edited by oreo2; 06-24-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #1633
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo2 View Post
I did find out that I can't lift weights after a down day. I try to do weights and then fast. Has anyone had any issues with lifting weights on the potato hacK?.
I had to stop my long cycle rides during the potato hack.

In general, I can only weight train on UDs. But then again, I don't do long rides or high intensity workouts fasted so individual mileage definitely varies.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #1634
Senior LCF Member

I was up .3 today, but okay with it, since some of the weekend drop was due to sleeping in till noon both days.. I might have been short on water yesterday, too. Still PHing and we'll see what tomorrow brings. Planning on doing the PH through Tuesday, but may add Wednesday in just for giggles. Actually, if I see some results, I *will* continue on Wednesday since that is an office day for me and I'd rather not have to stress about what food to bring/how much, etc. I'll save that for Thursday when I work at home again...
Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #1635
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo2 View Post
I
I had some potato with lc dinner last night (UD), and potato only for breakfast and lunch today. So far, so good. But I can't seem to stay out of the bathroom! I am peeing like crazy! Has anyone had this happen? I did find out that I can't lift weights after a down day. I try to do weights and then fast. Has anyone had any issues with lifting weights on the potato hacK? I do Less Mills BodyPump if that helps.

Thanks for the wealth of info (scientific and anecdotal)!!!

Edited to add: I have never had any issues with diabetes.
I think you are getting ready to release some fat. I find that when I have to go often, it means that I am flushing fat.

Also, I love KBs during fasted state, but I simply fast daily 16 hours. I do my weights and treadmill before eating around 10-11. I think fasting longer might be more difficult where weight training is concerned.

I was very lc paleo prior to moving to PHD and the taters daily has changed my life. I am still at 25% carbs, but mostly potatoes and root veggies. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #1636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Hi all - I'm back on the potato protocol. My daughter wants to do it due to a big awful bout of weight gain, and she says she does better when I do a diet with her.

OK, so, I can't say I'm gung ho since it is her calling me in, but I have to do it for her!

We have discovered that we gain weight hand over fist eating even fat free no sugar added yogurt from yogurtland. It could be the toppings....Ha! We observed that we did not gain weight when we were going for sushi at Genki sushi instead for a treat, even when eating our fill. I think the sushi is just plain healthy and not too far off of the potato plan.

I ordered Body by Science at my doc's recommendation (he put me on low carb in 2005 and he is a paleo guy). I'll report in on how hard it is to do on the potato protocol.

I'm also in physical therapy with neck, hip, and ankle pain. Kind of a basket case....LOL! I'm sure losing a bunch of weight is only going to help here!!!

Last edited by Key Tones; 06-25-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #1637
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

KT, I am sorry to hear about your neck, hip and ankle!

I wonder if it is the fruit? Too much fruit makes me gain fast, even when I don't change other factors. I have to keep my fruit intake smaller than my veggies or I have issues.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #1638
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I think you are getting ready to release some fat. I find that when I have to go often, it means that I am flushing fat.

Also, I love KBs during fasted state, but I simply fast daily 16 hours. I do my weights and treadmill before eating around 10-11. I think fasting longer might be more difficult where weight training is concerned.

I was very lc paleo prior to moving to PHD and the taters daily has changed my life. I am still at 25% carbs, but mostly potatoes and root veggies. Good luck!
I hope you are right! I haven't weighed today and don't think I will for a few days in case I go up before down. I want to give it a chance to work.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #1639
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
KT, I am sorry to hear about your neck, hip and ankle!

I wonder if it is the fruit? Too much fruit makes me gain fast, even when I don't change other factors. I have to keep my fruit intake smaller than my veggies or I have issues.
Thanks. It is good to see you posting again! I saw your update in PHD - good to hear.

I haven't eaten enough fruit to gain weight. I'm not much of a fruit fan. I threw out a bunch of green bananas this week. I just can't eat them anymore. Bleh. I really don't feel well eating fruit.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #1640
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Thanks. It is good to see you posting again! I saw your update in PHD - good to hear.

I haven't eaten enough fruit to gain weight. I'm not much of a fruit fan. I threw out a bunch of green bananas this week. I just can't eat them anymore. Bleh. I really don't feel well eating fruit.
Thanks! I have to hide the green banana, mixed in smoothie.

I bet the taters work. Maybe when my strength returns, I will try the hack too.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1641
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks! I have to hide the green banana, mixed in smoothie.

I bet the taters work. Maybe when my strength returns, I will try the hack too.
Yes, that is the best place for them! I sliced up some green bananas, shook them in potato starch, and placed in frezzer for this purpose. I found some frozen kale at TJ for the smoothies too.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #1642
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great idea KT! I may just try that myself. Freezing would keep the green banana from ripening. Very smart!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #1643
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I read to freeze them somewhere. I think Mike Teehan said to use frozen bananas blended for "milk" and I think I've heard of people eating chocoalte dipped frozen bananas for snacks.

I think shaking them in the potato starch to keep the pieces separated for the vitamix might have been my idea. I don't remember now. It is cool to wait for the greenest bananas and preserve them up like this.

Putting it all away now for the potato protocol.

I was reading a recipe where someone put in a tiny pinch of cinamon into chocolate. I've been doing this in my coffee - cocoa powder and a tiny bit of cinnamon. It really does make it taste better if you don't use too much. This is my "treat" now.

I think this is the first time I have gone into a super restrictive thing when it wasn't my idea. The daughter is good for me. I have been ON today!

Last edited by Key Tones; 06-25-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #1644
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would love to have my daughter here to do this with.

She calls me every day, and by the time we talk about the grandbabes and her life, job, etc. I have blabbed enough that we never talk about our diet. I try to lead her PHD, but she must think I am nuts to add anything else to her busy life.
I will mention this the next phone call and see what she thinks.

KT, are you saying that you add the cocoa & cinnamon to taters? Or to smoothie? Just trying to picture this.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #1645
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I mean coffee coffee! Just put a 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder and a small pinch of cinnamon in your coffee to drink!

BTW, my daughter is down 5 pounds already in 3 days. Whew, she drops weight fast.

How nice that she talks to you everyday! That is really great.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #1646
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Oh, I mean coffee coffee! Just put a 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa powder and a small pinch of cinnamon in your coffee to drink!

BTW, my daughter is down 5 pounds already in 3 days. Whew, she drops weight fast.

How nice that she talks to you everyday! That is really great.
Hi KT! I already put cinnamon in coffee - I just put it in the filter with the coffee before it brews. Never thought of putting some chocolate in there too! I'm going to try this soon.

Very cool that you and DD are doing PH together!

Green bananas??? So much happens around here when I'm not looking LOL!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #1647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well my metabolic set point has kicked in and the weight loss has stopped for me. Not a single pound lost since starting round#2 on Sunday. Grrr. I've decided my metabolism is just too darn smart. No matter WHAT I try, initially it works and then things just come to an abrupt halt. It is what it is. So I'll take a break for awhile and then perhaps restart another PH in a month and see if I can fool the set point yet again. It's just so discouraging. To have tried so many different things to have all of them fail after 2 weeks is a pattern that I just can't deny.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #1648
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well my metabolic set point has kicked in and the weight loss has stopped for me. Not a single pound lost since starting round#2 on Sunday...To have tried so many different things to have all of them fail after 2 weeks is a pattern that I just can't deny.
Our bodies are plenty smart and think we're ridiculous for squandering this helpful hedge fund against famine that they build up for us.

I actually find it pretty miserable to look at how much I bounced around during my PH but, I have to say that I've not regained the weight: it's post 1088 pg 37 if this doesn't show up properly MARCH Daily Weigh In!

My bounces were complicated by a couple of spells of being unwell and a migraine but, for me, that weight didn't come back (ignoring the migraine blip at the end). And I went into the PH because I was going into my 6th weekend of losing approx. 2.5lbs during the week, only to see it pop back by the Monday weigh-in.

Everyone's experience of this varies but for me, the benefits of the PH were learning more about what foods are over-eating triggers for me; the difference between eating to satiety and when I'm ready to stop; appetite suppression (which is still with me, although I should say that I've supplementing with unmodified potato starch for gut flora reasons for the last 4 weeks so that may be contributing to it); the weight loss but overall, I was just so relieved that it broke that wretched stall.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #1649
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, Slow, I'm sure glad it worked to the tune of 8# in my case. Time will tell if I can keep that 8 off. I'm not giving up on PH. I do plan to implement it periodically as a tool in my WL arsenal. But since I've weighed pretty much 170 for 3 years now, I've about decided my metabolic set-point system is the cleverest, smartest on earth!

A VERY interesting side note about PH. A few months back, I was diagnosed with a skin disorder known as lichen aureus. No cure; no known cause. Though one study points to a possible Vitamin C deficiency as being a possible cause.

They only have steroidal cream at present (or UV treatments) to slowly lighten the random torso/lower-body red patches. The steroidal cream is so potent it can only be used for 2 weeks and then you have to lay off 1 week and then resume the cream again until the patches are gone. Well, in the past, the cream would only slightly reduce redness of my stubborn patches, but they never totally went away. I would also get new red patches during my week off the cream! This morning, virtually ALL my red skin patches are GONE!! Only 2 old patches are faintly visible (and no new ones appeared) that I can see! I'm wondering if something in potatoes (maybe potassium? maybe some vitamin? ) that I might be perhaps deficient in due to low-carbing for 4 years now, isn't possibly an aggravating (or perhaps even causal) factor? Interesting notion I'll definitely have to bring up with my dermatologist next visit. Of course, it could be purely coincidental, but I have to wonder. He might be interested in pursuing further investigative research there.

I can just see it now in some internet article: "Potato hacker finds new skin cure!" LOL
Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #1650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, Slow, I'm sure glad it worked to the tune of 8# in my case. Time will tell if I can keep that 8 off. I'm not giving up on PH. I do plan to implement it periodically as a tool in my WL arsenal. But since I've weighed pretty much 170 for 3 years now, I've about decided my metabolic set-point system is the cleverest, smartest on earth!

A VERY interesting side note about PH. A few months back, I was diagnosed with a skin disorder known as lichen aureus. No cure; no known cause. Though one study points to a possible Vitamin C deficiency as being a possible cause.

They only have steroidal cream at present (or UV treatments) to slowly lighten the random torso/lower-body red patches. The steroidal cream is so potent it can only be used for 2 weeks and then you have to lay off 1 week and then resume the cream again until the patches are gone. Well, in the past, the cream would only slightly reduce redness of my stubborn patches, but they never totally went away. I would also get new red patches during my week off the cream! This morning, virtually ALL my red skin patches are GONE!! Only 2 old patches are faintly visible (and no new ones appeared) that I can see! I'm wondering if something in potatoes (maybe potassium? maybe some vitamin? ) that I might be perhaps deficient in due to low-carbing for 4 years now, isn't possibly an aggravating (or perhaps even causal) factor? Interesting notion I'll definitely have to bring up with my dermatologist next visit. Of course, it could be purely coincidental, but I have to wonder. He might be interested in pursuing further investigative research there.

I can just see it now in some internet article: "Potato hacker finds new skin cure!" LOL
It seems possible that you've stopped eating something that triggers your immune system. PH = extreme elimination diet.
Closed Thread