Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #1531
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Gator, it's just my very honest opinion, but could you be trying to go lower than your body *should* weigh? I worry about you getting injections, HCG, and doing other extreme dieting to get below your body's set point. You're 5'8 and under 140 now, correct? Seems a little worrisome, but again, JMHO.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #1532
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
Dara - a couple of points...

- you seem like you might have thyroid adrenal issues and if you have issues with salt almost certainly so. Two things might help that. Switch to Celtic Grey Sea Salt or Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. Both of them help with sodium balance. Also, if you don't regularly supplement potassium, you might consider that as well.

- coming off the hack, I've done it two ways: first hack, I did a low carb follow up which was great. That might work for you if you are still wanting to drop the extra pounds. This last hack, ate taters for lunch and "regular" dinners including small portions of starches including taters, sweet potatoes, rice and even some bread. During that week I stayed within 1 pound of where I started. So for me that was good for maintenance.

- on doing hCG for a week or 10 days, if you were only in the first two weeks of P3, I'd say go for it. But you're well into P4 and I really hesitate to recommend doing less than the 3 weeks of protocol. I just feel like you'll not stabilize very well or regain anything that you lose in the shorter timeframe. You've also been eating VERY light so you would probably be best re-loading which will undoubtedly put on a few pounds, if simply because of the low cals you've been on for a while. I just would hesitate to deviate too much, ESPECIALLY with the shots. As always, your course is completely up to you but those are just my thoughts.

Good luck however you decide to go forward!
i don't put salt on anything , but when you eat out food has salt in it as well as turkey sausage, the 4 inch all natural ones.

i have potassium, solary, but i stopped taking it. i'll start again.

i wonder if that endocrinologist is doing a test for adrenals. is there anything to correct that, and would that affect my snail metabolism? that bmr test where you blow into a tube was 1036.

oh, and you think high fat high protein, few veggies for tomorrow, or low fat high protein?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #1533
Senior LCF Member

that seems to be most people's opinion, but it's not mine. it's not where i'm comfortable. i fit in my size 4s, which i have a closet full of at 130-132.

there is no set point for me. it's not like i could eat every once in awhile and stay here. i just keep going up. ask dh of 18 yrs. i have to watch it like a hawk. you guys are all hearing me complain at 137, but that's how it starts. i've been here many times. before you know it, if i'm not perfect i'm 145 and incredibly unhappy in sweats.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #1534
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
JUDDD would allow you to eat more and maintain, I think. I love it!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1535
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:

Yennie - on your point of the JUDDD vs hCG potato hacks, when you are on hCG, your body is releasing stored fat so you're really not existing on 500 calories per day but more 500 + whatever your body is releasing. After your vlcp (very low calorie protocol), you are supposed to find a good calorie level for you and try to stay within two pounds of your last dose weight. A lot of people automatically reduce calories because that's what we've always been taught to do to get the weight off. Stupid ADA! As I understand JUDDD (I did it for a short time but had binge issues on UDs), your calories actually average out to a normal'ish level, especially if you are not at diet levels on DDs. I think my numbers for maintenance were something like 800 on DDs and 2300 on UDs??? So an average of 1550, which isn't super high but also isn't starvation levels. I worry that on the potato hack, if you do it for a long time or try to eat really small amounts, that we put ourselves on that starvation diet. I have been eyeballing it mostly and eating to hunger (usually one large plus one small or 3 medium taters for a meal) but with my BP coffee in the morning plus potatoes plus about 1 large green plantain daily I think I'm hitting about 1300 calories. And I'm full which is awesome!
Shelby,
Thanks for the run down on HCG. After you guys joined up on this thread I meandered over to your boards and did some reading. Hats off to you gals who can pull that off - personally I think you're nuts! But that's with lots of love & admiration - the same way you think your girlfriend who will buy & rock the 5" stilettos is nuts.
It sounds like HCG and the potato hack work through much the same basic mechanism - mobilization of peripheral fat. Basically, the huge glycemic surge caused by eating the potato causes a large release in insulin. Fatty acids are a necessary part of insulin production & utilization. Normally, the body draws from dietary fats (ie, the fat that's also in the candy bar/cupcake/potato loaded with butter & sour cream you just ate) to satisfy this need. However, if you eat just potatoes and no fat, the body has no choice but to draw from peripheral fat stores. Some of the paleo hackers even report becoming ketotic. I never had been in my longer hacks, but my body seems to resist ketosis (or I drink so much dang water that I dilute out the ketones so much in my urine the test strips don't change. I won't test my blood, totally not interested enough to poke myself in the finger.)
I do wonder, though, if done too closely to a round of HCG, or done immediately after you stop taking drops, if you're body's ability to mobilize fats might be exhausted. After all, there does come a point of diminishing returns on the potato hack - there the calories consumed will overwhelm the body's ability to burn fat and pounds will not leave. I'm sure that point is different for everyone. Given that, I guess I would actually think that perhaps doing a potato hack after HCG would not be a good idea although it looks like you've done it successfully. But only 1 day at a time? Honestly I can't remember the details now.
Of course as we've discussed everyone's results vary and there are some who are miserable and gain on the PH. The people who seem, in my experience from reading multiple places, to have the worst luck are those coming off a low carb. The water retention from reintroducing carbs can cause a huge gain almost immediately.
Gator - I don't think anyone is judging you (not that you said you felt like anyone was) or thinking of anything other than your well-being long term. But, like Cindy (Library Girl), I've also thought that perhaps some of your challenges might be from unrealistic expectations. Both wanting to get too low and wanting to get those 5# off too fast. We all come in different shapes and sizes and are comfortable in different ways in our skin, and I truly want nothing but success & happiness for you in your weight loss journey. Bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about HCG (other than what Shelby just explained above) but I do know a lot about physiology. And, aside from the usual weight loss stalls, it really should not be this hard if the goal you're trying to reach is a place your body is comfortable. Or, certainly, it should happen with relatively more ease - I know those last few pounds ca be a bugger to get off.
I'd encourage you to look into JUDDD if you can tolerate the slower losses. The thing is that any weight you magic off in 2-3#/day is more likely to come back on. If you can take a bit more time to get those last few pounds off and adopt a WOE/WOL that is sustainable, then you might not spend the next 18 years on a roller coaster.
We just worry about the stress you are putting yourself and your body through. That is all. We you.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #1536
Senior LCF Member

Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
that seems to be most people's opinion, but it's not mine. it's not where i'm comfortable. i fit in my size 4s, which i have a closet full of at 130-132.

there is no set point for me. it's not like i could eat every once in awhile and stay here. i just keep going up. ask dh of 18 yrs. i have to watch it like a hawk. you guys are all hearing me complain at 137, but that's how it starts. i've been here many times. before you know it, if i'm not perfect i'm 145 and incredibly unhappy in sweats.
Hey, Gator, I understand your frustration. I feel similar. I blink and I am up and up. I might try JUDDD, just not right now. I don't want to do another round either. It would be R4. It is a lot to put your body (and family) through. Plus, I was pretty hungry the whole time.

When I am in a good mood, I figure my weight was always a struggle, at least I am doing it at a smaller size.

I am not the most experienced, but I think trying the high fat/moderate protein/low carb macros, like, 60/30/10, for a couple days. Then try a correction day that appeals to you. Drink lots of water & tea. Take a couple detox baths and relax.

I don't know your history, but I wanted to try and help. If I have a question, I will google it followed by "hcg P4." That will get you some different point of views.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #1537
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Shelby,
Thanks for the run down on HCG. After you guys joined up on this thread I meandered over to your boards and did some reading. Hats off to you gals who can pull that off - personally I think you're nuts! But that's with lots of love & admiration - the same way you think your girlfriend who will buy & rock the 5" stilettos is nuts.
It sounds like HCG and the potato hack work through much the same basic mechanism - mobilization of peripheral fat. Basically, the huge glycemic surge caused by eating the potato causes a large release in insulin. Fatty acids are a necessary part of insulin production & utilization. Normally, the body draws from dietary fats (ie, the fat that's also in the candy bar/cupcake/potato loaded with butter & sour cream you just ate) to satisfy this need. However, if you eat just potatoes and no fat, the body has no choice but to draw from peripheral fat stores. Some of the paleo hackers even report becoming ketotic. I never had been in my longer hacks, but my body seems to resist ketosis (or I drink so much dang water that I dilute out the ketones so much in my urine the test strips don't change. I won't test my blood, totally not interested enough to poke myself in the finger.)
I do wonder, though, if done too closely to a round of HCG, or done immediately after you stop taking drops, if you're body's ability to mobilize fats might be exhausted. After all, there does come a point of diminishing returns on the potato hack - there the calories consumed will overwhelm the body's ability to burn fat and pounds will not leave. I'm sure that point is different for everyone. Given that, I guess I would actually think that perhaps doing a potato hack after HCG would not be a good idea although it looks like you've done it successfully. But only 1 day at a time? Honestly I can't remember the details now.
Of course as we've discussed everyone's results vary and there are some who are miserable and gain on the PH. The people who seem, in my experience from reading multiple places, to have the worst luck are those coming off a low carb. The water retention from reintroducing carbs can cause a huge gain almost immediately.
Gator - I don't think anyone is judging you (not that you said you felt like anyone was) or thinking of anything other than your well-being long term. But, like Cindy (Library Girl), I've also thought that perhaps some of your challenges might be from unrealistic expectations. Both wanting to get too low and wanting to get those 5# off too fast. We all come in different shapes and sizes and are comfortable in different ways in our skin, and I truly want nothing but success & happiness for you in your weight loss journey. Bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about HCG (other than what Shelby just explained above) but I do know a lot about physiology. And, aside from the usual weight loss stalls, it really should not be this hard if the goal you're trying to reach is a place your body is comfortable. Or, certainly, it should happen with relatively more ease - I know those last few pounds ca be a bugger to get off.
I'd encourage you to look into JUDDD if you can tolerate the slower losses. The thing is that any weight you magic off in 2-3#/day is more likely to come back on. If you can take a bit more time to get those last few pounds off and adopt a WOE/WOL that is sustainable, then you might not spend the next 18 years on a roller coaster.
We just worry about the stress you are putting yourself and your body through. That is all. We you.
Thanks, yennie. I agree that it shouldn't be this hard. That is why I went to this endocrinologist. I will have bloodwork done sat after seeing a hemotologist this Friday for a low WBC issue.
My follow up with endo is 5/30
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #1538
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
Hey, Gator, I understand your frustration. I feel similar. I blink and I am up and up. I might try JUDDD, just not right now. I don't want to do another round either. It would be R4. It is a lot to put your body (and family) through. Plus, I was pretty hungry the whole time.

When I am in a good mood, I figure my weight was always a struggle, at least I am doing it at a smaller size.

I am not the most experienced, but I think trying the high fat/moderate protein/low carb macros, like, 60/30/10, for a couple days. Then try a correction day that appeals to you. Drink lots of water & tea. Take a couple detox baths and relax.

I don't know your history, but I wanted to try and help. If I have a question, I will google it followed by "hcg P4." That will get you some different point of views.

Good luck!
Thanks, five.
Today has been hard. When I have results I can stick to anything, but after 3 days of just potatoes and not getting the three lbs off has made me want to binge. I've eaten more taters today than the other days.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #1539
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, yennie. I agree that it shouldn't be this hard. That is why I went to this endocrinologist. I will have bloodwork done sat after seeing a hemotologist this Friday for a low WBC issue.
This is good. I guess I missed concern about a health problem as well. Sorry about that - both for missing it and for the potential problem. I'm glad you're following up with an endo. I hope whomever you see considers your whole person, and not just the little part they're supposed to be concerned with. Advocate for yourself too!!
Best wishes for you, and keep us posted (if you're willing).
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #1540
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Quote:
i don't put salt on anything , but when you eat out food has salt in it as well as turkey sausage, the 4 inch all natural ones.

i have potassium, solary, but i stopped taking it. i'll start again.

i wonder if that endocrinologist is doing a test for adrenals. is there anything to correct that, and would that affect my snail metabolism? that bmr test where you blow into a tube was 1036.

oh, and you think high fat high protein, few veggies for tomorrow, or low fat high protein?
Quote:
Adrenals and thyroid are very closely linked. As is electrolyte balance (salt and potassium). As are vitamin and mineral deficiencies--specifically, B's (12, 6, folinic acid), D, and iron. All need to be working right for your metabolism to work. Too little salt can be as bad as too much--you just need the right type of salt. As mentioned, Celtic Grey or Himalayan Pink are what is recommended. The recommended treatment order is vitamin/mineral deficiencies first (I'll bet you have low iron, B12, and D at least), adrenals, and THEN thyroid. The last piece is s*x hormones but those often normalize when the rest get sorted out. And YES, there are ways to treat them but often doctors don't or won't do the right tests or treat in the right order.

The tests that your endo gave you (the air, the blood and the heel thumping) are all iodine tests that look to detect thyroid deficiencies. I really wish you luck with your endo but I've been to some of the "best" in SoCal (and the most expensive--who don't take insurance) and they are still sadly lacking in knowledge and willingness to treat and fix thyroid and adrenal problems. Unfortunately, often they will try to treat part of the problem without seeing the whole picture which can make you feel worse. If you want to know who I've been to and who to avoid, PM me. I highly recommend looking into it on your own and with some patients' advocacy groups. The stop the thyroid madness people are awesome (google the name--it's a free site that can help when dealing with doctors). Also, the eaware.org site is a great resource. They all have support groups that are free on facebook and yahoo. Again, feel free to PM me if you are interested in more info. I'd still be seriously sick, fat, and certainly unemployed and/or on disability without them. I have been down this road and always try to help where I can.

I would do as someone suggested--high fat, moderate protein, low carb, and see where you land.

Quote:
Thanks, five.
Today has been hard. When I have results I can stick to anything, but after 3 days of just potatoes and not getting the three lbs off has made me want to binge. I've eaten more taters today than the other days.
THAT is probably a good thing! Keep us posted. I always saw my best losses after the 3rd or 4th day and usually when I thought I overate.

Quote:
Shelby,

It sounds like HCG and the potato hack work through much the same basic mechanism - mobilization of peripheral fat.

Some of the paleo hackers even report becoming ketotic. I never had been in my longer hacks, but my body seems to resist ketosis (or I drink so much dang water that I dilute out the ketones so much in my urine the test strips don't change.

Given that, I guess I would actually think that perhaps doing a potato hack after HCG would not be a good idea although it looks like you've done it successfully. But only 1 day at a time? Honestly I can't remember the details now.
I guess that I'm the gf who does hCG AND wears the 5 inch stilettos (and/or platforms )...

I completely understand how nuts hCG sounds. I actually had a doctor recommend it to me (an endo weirdly) and I said "Buddy, I eat more than 500 calories for BREAKFAST! Thanks but no freakin' thanks!" It was about a year later that in desperation, after trying EVERYTHING else to get the weight off and AFTER I had normalized my hormones, I decided to try hhCG. I am so glad I did because it helped me where nothing else could. I just figured, I'd certainly done weirder things for 21 days (cabbage soup, meat and eggs, watermelon) so why not give it a try? If I got too hungry or had any issues with low blood glucose, I'd just eat something, right? Easy to fix--eat something--and easy to stop any time. But I never experienced any low BG ever on any of my rounds, homeopathic OR rx. (Which is why I don't poo-poo the homeopathic as some do--it did SOMETHING to prevent my blood sugar from dropping!) What I DID experience was a rapid dropping of weight, a new appreciation for whole foods and what I can and can't eat, a better understanding of my eating issues, and a metabolism that, thank god, is back and better than ever. Sure, I can't go back to eating junk food--who can?--but I CAN have the occasional indulgence without paying too high a price. It is a last resort but one that works for many.

And I agree that the h/hCG mechanism of drawing fat from our reserves is similar physiologically to the potato hack. I DO become ketotic on the potato hack but I recognize it not through the strips but through the other signs--"metal mouth," odd smelling urine, mad energy, etc. Like you, I drink copious amounts of water daily (probably close to 2 gallons) so I never got into ketosis according to the strips but I sure got into it according to my symptoms. I'm still unclear about how you can get into ketosis on the potato hack but I can sure tell that I am! My last hack was the longest at 5 or 6 days (I did 5 "pure" and two "half" days last time) and this time will be 5 pure days. I was down almost another pound this morning and am back into my happy range. I am getting a little bored with taters (almost caved to some leftover pork last night) but the 0.9 down this morning will help me get through today.

I won't be weighing tomorrow (taking a red-eye tonight) but my weight is what it is. I'm ok in my bikini, even if I am up a few pounds from LDW, and I'll be fine on my vacation in Palm Beach. Curious to see if hacking helps the usual vacation gain. Stay tuned for an update in a week!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 7 - 02/16/14, 33 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~175->???
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #1541
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Shelbyla! I love to read about your experience w/ thyroid/adrenals. I have a doctor that I have been speaking to, that I would like to PM you about.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #1542
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Thanks Shelbyla! I love to read about your experience w/ thyroid/adrenals. I have a doctor that I have been speaking to, that I would like to PM you about.
I love her posts too! I was just saying this morning, when I read her posts it makes me want to eat potatoes Love ya Shelby Have a great trip!!! And you rock that bikini.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #1543
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
PM'd ya back! Oddly the doc that originally recommended the hCG to me was the one you PM'd me about! At least I got THAT much outta him...

Dawn - you know I WILL have fun and I WILL rock that bikini, dang it! Hey, at 46, I'm just glad that I CAN wear a bikini!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #1544
Blabbermouth!!!

Have I mentioned that I LUUUUUV these dang green plantains??? Almost a little too much... I've got the peeling and slicing (almost--sliced a chunk out of my knuckle last night! ) and drying all figured out and they are just tasty tasty! And LOTS of RS--I think I probably am eating at least 1/2 of a green plantain daily which if I am getting it right, ends up being somewhere around 20-30g of RS. A whole cooked and cooled potato is about 8g. But yum. Crunchy, tasty, and a nice texture and taste change from taters.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #1545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad to hear about the plantains! I have yet to find any? Hoping to see some at the natural grocer!

Yes, you will rock the bikini, so thrilled you are having some fun time.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #1546
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I'm still unclear about how you can get into ketosis on the potato hack but I can sure tell that I am!
Ketones are a byproduct of fat mobilization & the use of fat for energy. Basically, when liver glycogen stores are depleted, lipolysis kicks in. The fat (triglycerides) are cleaved into shorter chain fatty acids and through beta-oxidation you end up with acetyl-CoA which can enter the citric acid cycle in the cell to produce ATP. Also, the liver will use the acetyl-CoA to make ketones as well. Ketones can cross the blood brain barrier & can also be used by the brain as fuel (entering the citric acid cycle).

NB: Ketones are, in fact, acidic but a healthy body will use other methods to compensate for this. Diabetic ketoacidosis occurs due to problems with the compensation mechanisms (usually a renal compromise or inability to regulate bicarbonate) - ketosis is not unhealthy for a "normal" human for long term as long as the acid/base compensation mechanisms are in place. I know people used to harass low carbers about being in ketosis back in the day, I don't know if they still do or not now. Maybe LC is mainstream enough now...now people have moved on to harassing IFers!

Anything that mobilizes fat for energy could, in theory, result in ketosis. So obviously low carb, the potatoes do and I would imagine its also possible in an HCG diet but maybe with HCG the build up of ketones is slower & they're utilized before they have a chance to cause symptoms? Don't know.

Why do I know this? Because post-partum dairy cows often become ketotic and being able to trace this mechanism/pathway is one of the favorite questions on one of the sets of exams I had to take for my extra certifications. I used to be able to draw the structures of all the involved molecules too but that info has been replaced with something I'm sure as equally useless in daily life. Funny tidbit: most ketotic dairy cows are pretty lethargic & down in the dumps. But about 5% get what we call "nervous ketosis" where the ketones the brain is using for fuel has an excitation effect instead of a sedative effect. They are bonkers! Its kinda funny actually...

Last edited by Yennie; 05-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #1547
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
You're the best, Yennie.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #1548
Senior LCF Member

So I did 3 whole days of the PH. On the fourth day, Saturday, I had some potatoes around noon. Well, I really started to feel awful so I decided that was enough. I tried to wait the four hours, but cracked after three. I broke with salmon, fage w berries. A couple hours later, I had some nuts. Well, that held me for the night. I did have some wine at a party, but I did not feel the need to eat anything. I know that is dangerous, but I was really just sipping a small amount of wine. I wasn't interested in overdoing it. I was a little hungry when we got home after midnight. I saw the BBQ potato chips trying to lure me over to them. I decided to def skip it. I woke up the same weight as yesterday.
I am still a few pounds over my comfort zone, but I don't think the potato hack was going to fix it. I'll try working out and keeping it low carb. I may try a GYD or egg day later next week, if nothing comes off. It is tough bc correction days used to work, but have very little payoff for me now.
One of the things I wanted out of the potato hack was to increase my intake of resistant starch. My mother died from colon cancer so it was almost a relief to see there is something I can do improve the health of my colon that is so effective.
Another hope, dream and desire was to be able to have some wine or eat a little more freely without a spike on the scale.
By reading a ton of threads over the last few days, I decided to add unmodified potato starch to my diet to increase my intake of resistant starch. I will start with a small amount added to something I am eating, like, my fage or maybe almond butter. I hope it doesn't cause any gains and gives me the benefits of RS.
I did not lose any weight from my PH. I went up one day, came down a little the next, came down a little more, stayed the same. The bummer is that I had gained a few pounds over the week before (just life + mother's day picnic.) Since I figured it was inflammation, I was hoping it would come off. It did not.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #1549
Major LCF Poster!

Plantains are another way to get great resistant starch in your diet without bulk. Just a thought.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1550
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Plantains are another way to get great resistant starch in your diet without bulk. Just a thought.
I will def try them. It was probably you and Shelby that had me ready to throw on my shoes and run to the nearest market so I could get the 8-hour process underway. It was pretty late, though. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #1551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Five,
I am sorry to hear about your mother.

Do you have some Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Starch? I mix mine in water and it doesn't taste. Also, it is half the cals, so instead of 40 cals per tbsp it would be 20. The recommended dose is 3 tbsp per day for colon health. I would start out w/ 1 tbsp and work up to 3. Yes, the colon microbiota is one of the good health benefits.

Last edited by sunday; 05-19-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Do you have some Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Starch?.
I've been thinking about BRM - it would cost me the equivalent of approx. $14 for a small bag here in the UK but I might just have to bite the bullet because I'd otherwise have to make my own (and that's quite a faff).
Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #1553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure, I am on my 2nd week. I take a two day break on Sat/Sun because I really want to eat. Bob's is unmodified and simply raw potato flour, no additives.

I dried plantains outside today because it reached 90 degrees here. Shelby has me anxious to try this treat.

I can pick some up at Sprouts for 3.20 per 24 oz bag. Can you not purchase from Amazon? If you can't find Bob's try to find Green Banana or plantain flour. They both have RS although not quite as much. If you have time to read, we have quite a few who are supp'ing with taters and RS over at Perfect Health. Link in my siggie. RS is excellent for gut health. I am also using the flour for gluten free baking mixed w/ tapioca or rice flour.

One study is here~
Diet of
---
resistant starch helps the body resist colorectal cancer

If you have time to read Dr. Jeff Volek's research paper on RS, linked on PHD, it is pretty interesting. He sits on the board for UCAN which is a new sports drink that includes RS for athletes. He found through research that RS...

Quote:
Optimized performance with steady energy when you need it, without the spike and crash of sugar and maltodextrin based products.

Sustained energy with time-released delivery of glucose, keeping you above baseline longer.

Enhanced fat burn allowing you to improve body composition as you burn fat for fuel during your workout and keep burning fat while you recover due to suppressed insulin response.

Speedier recovery as your body is able to use protein to repair and restore your muscles rather than for energy, since blood sugar is stable.

No gastric distress, because SuperStarch is a large molecule that passes through the stomach quickly and is digested slowly in the intestines.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 05-19-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #1554
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bob's is unmodified and simply raw potato flour, no additives. ..
I can pick some up at Sprouts for 3.20 per 24 oz bag. Can you not purchase from Amazon? If you can't find Bob's try to find Green Banana or plantain flour. They both have RS although not quite as much. ..
$14 is the Amazon price in the UK why it's so costly here but it is. The cooked potato starch is much cheaper but I can't find another source of raw/unmodified starch.

I've looked in several Caribbean shops for the Green Banana or Plaintain flour but haven't been successful as yet.

I'll take a look at your links, thank you for posting them.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1555
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I found plantains!
A question, though. Why do we dry them instead of just eating them?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #1556
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I found plantains!
Well you could try and eat them (raw)...

There's a reason plantains are usually boiled or fried. (They're pretty much inedible without a lot of preparation.)..You can dehydrate them to maintain most of the RS but much will depend on whether or not you like them (my DH does, I don't).

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-19-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #1557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I found plantains!
If you like them raw, go ahead.
I dried mine today on very low heat 90 degrees out in the sun. They remind me of banana chips.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #1558
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am on day #4 of the potato hack and getting the same results as last time. I have dropped 2.4 lbs in 3 days of hacking!! I am quite excited. Not down to where I was when I finished my last hack, but getting there! I am very happy, once again!!! Nothing but taters, coffee and water. Very boring, but at least it is working!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #1559
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Nicole T
Stats: 193/189/170
WOE: hCG/Paleo
Start Date: 10/7/13
I'm currently 4:3'ing and want to try a potato day today (only had coffee so far). Do I still only eat 500 calories worth or do you eat more on potato days? It makes me nervous to eat potatoes because all we've been told is how "bad" they are for you and your blood sugar/insulin levels but I'm curious if this might help my carb sensitivity.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #1560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't think anyone can predict what it might do to your carb sensitivity.

The usual recommendation is to eat to the point of satiety when doing a potato hack, that's for DDs and UDs - don't count the calories.

I can't really comment as doing the extended potato hack obliterated my appetite so I nowhere near made my calories on either day of the rotation.
Closed Thread