Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #1501
Big Yapper!!!!
 
adillenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,718
Gallery: adillenal
I do all of my potato DD's with coffee with HWC for breakfast and then wait until noon to start the cold boiled potatoes. Course I eat breakfast between 5:30 and 6am so that gives me a good 6 hours between cream and potatoes.
adillenal is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #1502
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,125
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I guess I did the PH, but I didn't eat any more potatoes after lunch. I had 2 fudgesicles last night, and a 2 cups of coffee with cream. Probably will never be able to eat only potatoes for a day, much less longer than that. At least in the foreseeable future. However, I can always incorporate them into my reg. DD.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 05-15-2013 at 04:09 AM..
Librarygirl is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 AM   #1503
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,781
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I guess I did the PH, but I didn't eat any more potatoes after lunch...Probably will never be able to eat only potatoes for a day, much less longer than that...
You don't like rice? Or the notion of (say) having congee for your evening meal/snack if you can't bear the thought of another potato?
SlowSure is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #1504
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,125
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I just have a routine and it involves coffee w/cream in the evenings. Every day. On DDs, it's much less cream, but it's something I don't like to do without. It's like my after work "drink". It interferes with any hack, so I doubt I could do the PH with or without rice. It's not that I was overly hungry or couldn't eat "just" potatoes...but I couldn't go without my "drink", and also my bedtime treat.
Librarygirl is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #1505
Senior LCF Member
 
fiveninepointfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 575
Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygum View Post
Goal is 120-125 for me. Cooking potatoes for tomorrow. Ps I like that idea of potatoes + veg broth in the crockpot. How much of each and how long/what temp do u set em at?
So I popped about six russets into the crock pot so they had some space between them. I put about two cups of veg broth. It came up about 1/4 inch on the potatoes. I put the crock pot on high for an hour. I'll switch to low for about three hours while I meet a friend at the gym and run errands.
Since I am going to the gym, I decided I should eat a potato in the AM. I just microwaved it, so it is baked potato style. I put cinnamon and stevia on it bc I have a sweet tooth. It is good bc I cannot take vitamins on an empty stomach.
I figure about three russets are a pound. I hope to stay between under two pounds a day.
I plan on eating the rest cold with SP and malt vinegar.
BTW, I'll reuse the broth when I do another pot of potatoes later today. I'd like to have my three-days worth cooked and ready to go. Also, I have kids so I need to have some extra in case they want one. They are more into pasta and rice, though.

Last edited by fiveninepointfive; 05-15-2013 at 05:43 AM..
fiveninepointfive is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #1506
Senior LCF Member
 
gillygum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 273
Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
So I popped about six russets into the crock pot so they had some space between them. I put about two cups of veg broth. It came up about 1/4 inch on the potatoes. I put the crock pot on high for an hour. I'll switch to low for about three hours while I meet a friend at the gym and run errands.
Since I am going to the gym, I decided I should eat a potato in the AM. I just microwaved it, so it is baked potato style. I put cinnamon and stevia on it bc I have a sweet tooth. It is good bc I cannot take vitamins on an empty stomach.
I figure about three russets are a pound. I hope to stay between under two pounds a day.
I plan on eating the rest cold with SP and malt vinegar.
BTW, I'll reuse the broth when I do another pot of potatoes later today. I'd like to have my three-days worth cooked and ready to go. Also, I have kids so I need to have some extra in case they want one. They are more into pasta and rice, though.
Awesome!! You're pretty creative in finding ways to make it work/bearable for u! Thanks for sharing the advice! And haha I know, I watch my cousins kids and had a potato and the little girl was like, well can I have a potato? I was like I guess.. But I don't think ur gonna like it, it's pretty plain. And she ate it and was like, mmm I love potatoes! So I always make an extra for backup now!
gillygum is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #1507
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
hi guys. well, i was down .8. i'd be excited if i were coming off a low instead of a 5.2 gain! how come it took one day to gain 5.2, and most of it has to be water and/or inflamation, yet here i am 2 days later and have lost only 2.2! at this rate, i won't even have it off for the dinner friday night. this has been the last 20 yrs of my life.

anyway, doing another potato day so we shall see what tomorrow brings. ate about 2lbs worth yesterday so around 800 cals and 600 monday(not potatoes), but still haven't made up for pancakes and yogurt pie

anybody else doing it today?
Gator is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #1508
Big Yapper!!!!
 
adillenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,718
Gallery: adillenal
I recommend weighing the potatoes if you are trying to keep up with the calorie count. They can be deceptive little creatures.
I only do potato DD's and that was yesterday so regular food today.

I have discovered that a 16 ounce potato is WAY too big for a meal for me now. I used to easily eat a 16 ounce baked potato as a meal not along with other food.
adillenal is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #1509
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,597
Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I agree with Adi. If you're tracking you need to measure.
A 0.8# loss for potatoes is great. Those who lose average 0.5-1#/day so you're right in the middle. I don't know how coming off HCG affects metabolism & weight loss post-HCG but I can't think of any plan that would allow for a 5# loss in 3-4 days. Potatoes are awesome but even they aren't that awesome.
I feel like anything that takes the weight off that fast, you're just going to put it back on as soon as you eat "normally" again. That's why so many of us like JUDDD even though its slow. You tend to not have the rebound gain.
__________________

*****************************************
My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #1510
Senior LCF Member
 
gillygum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 273
Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
hi guys. well, i was down .8. i'd be excited if i were coming off a low instead of a 5.2 gain! how come it took one day to gain 5.2, and most of it has to be water and/or inflamation, yet here i am 2 days later and have lost only 2.2! at this rate, i won't even have it off for the dinner friday night. this has been the last 20 yrs of my life.

anyway, doing another potato day so we shall see what tomorrow brings. ate about 2lbs worth yesterday so around 800 cals and 600 monday(not potatoes), but still haven't made up for pancakes and yogurt pie

anybody else doing it today?
I completely know what you mean. When u get that 1-2 day 5lb weight gain you expect the same amount of time to lose it. And I believe you will.. The potatoes in ur body I think just make u weigh heavier. That's what happened with me. Once I went to the bathroom I weighed lighter and stomach was flatter. Another thing I've done that has worked to get rid of the 3-5lb gain is 2 32oz tubs of light and fit yogurt (eating nothing else). I feel like I have 3 weapons now: yogurt fast, egg fast, and potato fast. I'm diggin potatoes though. I feel more satisfied and love that its an unprocessed non-dairy food.
__________________
be strong in body. be strong in mind.
goal = 120 lbs + more muscle
gillygum is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #1511
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
i did weigh the potatoes, that's how i knew how much i ate. the calories are a little iffy b/c different sites have different #s.
i ate 4oz baby yellows lunch and 4 oz snack baked and weighed after baking

8oz late afternoon of small reds, boiled and weighed after boiling
8oz dinner of above.
finished by 6:30

only added small amount of malt vinegar and black coffee.

gilly, i've only tried the 32oz of full fat fage and that didn't work for me. you're saying you ate 2 tubs of 32oz of light and fit(that's fat free, right?) plain or a flavor?

what do you eat on your egg fast? that's about the only one i haven't tried.

i'm actually thinking about going on the drops again to get this off.

i'll see what happens in the next two days.

also, i just thinly sliced some russets, or idaho(they are the same thing aren't they??) so do i weigh them now or prior, b/c they sure have shrunk?
Gator is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #1512
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelbyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Yes, gilly, I'm starting today. About to go eat my first taters, but not sure how much to eat. The baby yellows I halved look really good and really small. Maybe I'll measure put 4oz.

Do you do every other day? I'm doing today through Thursday. I'm praying I don't gain since I'm already 5.8 over LDW.
Eat to satiety. Do NOT starve yourself to get the weight off. If you are eating less than 1200 calories daily, your body will go into starvation mode and will hang on to every ounce of weight that it can. Folks eating the 600-800 calorie days are usually doing JUDDD which is alternating calorie days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
gilly and shelby, what is your goal weight?
i'm at 137.2(134.2 last saturday, grrr) and goal is 130.
I am 5'9" and my goal is between 140 and 150. You are 5'8" and your goal is 130? I think you might need to adjust that but that's JMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
My problem with the DDH is that I want something else in the evenings besides potatoes...coffee w/cream (measured and limited), or a diet treat if not both, and won't that mess up the hack?
As long as you keep 4-6 hours between potatoes and treats theoretically it's fine. Yennie is right though. I tried my first hack "pure" just to see how it worked for me. I DO think it takes a few days to see weight go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
hi guys. well, i was down .8. i'd be excited if i were coming off a low instead of a 5.2 gain! how come it took one day to gain 5.2, and most of it has to be water and/or inflamation, yet here i am 2 days later and have lost only 2.2! at this rate, i won't even have it off for the dinner friday night. this has been the last 20 yrs of my life.

anyway, doing another potato day so we shall see what tomorrow brings. ate about 2lbs worth yesterday so around 800 cals and 600 monday(not potatoes), but still haven't made up for pancakes and yogurt pie

anybody else doing it today?
Yup. I'm on day 3 today. Haven't seen my weight move since the weekend but I'm cool with that. Just experimenting right now and as I said, I usually see good results after days 3-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
i did weigh the potatoes, that's how i knew how much i ate. the calories are a little iffy b/c different sites have different #s.
i ate 4oz baby yellows lunch and 4 oz snack baked and weighed after baking

8oz late afternoon of small reds, boiled and weighed after boiling
8oz dinner of above.
finished by 6:30

only added small amount of malt vinegar and black coffee.

also, i just thinly sliced some russets, or idaho(they are the same thing aren't they??) so do i weigh them now or prior, b/c they sure have shrunk?
Personally, since you are potato fasting, as opposed to doing potato DDs, I wouldn't count calories or worry too much about weighing. I eat between 1 and 2 pounds per day but thats just an estimate. Just eat until you are full. All your condiments seem fine, btw.

Good luck!
__________________
Pre-hhCG cleanse (P1) - 01/03/11, 12 days, 210->200
hhCG round 1 - 01/15/11, 32 days, drops, 10/10/10, 200->175
hhCG round 2 - 04/15/11, 38 days, drops & pellets, 10/4/10, 177->154
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 9 - 09/04/14, 31 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~172->153
shelbyla is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #1513
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
Personally, since you are potato fasting, as opposed to doing potato DDs, I wouldn't count calories or worry too much about weighing. I eat between 1 and 2 pounds per day but thats just an estimate. Just eat until you are full. All your condiments seem fine, btw.

Good luck![/QUOTE]
thank you, shelby.
Gator is offline  
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #1514
Senior LCF Member
 
gillygum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 273
Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Yeah! 2 of those purple light n fit containers (flavored). It adds up to about 880 calories for the day, so, I think that and the fact that its a monotonous diet w/no fat and how yogurt helps w/belly fat-the combination of it all just works. I started trying it when my bro told me that's how he'd cut before a wrestling match and still be able to eat. The only problem is that all the dairy will prob back u up for a day. Same with the egg one. Egg fast I just eat as many eggs as I want with salsa or pico de gallo through out the day. I think its prob better for me to use these fasts as down days though to keep things moving. I don't think I will be doing the 3 day fast.. Today I ate a quarter of a potato that tasted funny and was grey-- that pretty much killed my appetite for potatoes for the day.
gillygum is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #1515
Senior LCF Member
 
fiveninepointfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 575
Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
Day2, +.5.
The same thing happened last time. I think it is from the salt. Today, I'll skip it and just use malt vinegar. I was planning on doing three days. I may have to add another day if I follow the same path as last time by going down 2.5 lb over days 4 and 5. I have a party Sat night and Sunday, but maybe I can just lay low and not partake in the food and drink. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
I think I ate a little over 2 lbs of potatoes yesterday. I am hoping to eat less today.
fiveninepointfive is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #1516
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
stayed the same today so still 3lbs up since sunday and .8 down from my 2 days of potatoes. i'm really bloated and didn't poop yesterday. i've been taking 2 aloe pills at 5pm every day and that's been giving me something-i'd give a 3 out of 10 if it were a dive .
anyway, 2lbs of potatoes and no bm is not fun. i feel like i'm stuffing a straw with socks if you know what i mean.

suggestions? i guess i'll stick with it one more day.

does anyone else have anything that helped them drop from a 5lb gain in one day, that after three days of clean eating has taken off only 2 of it??? so much for calories in calories out
Gator is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #1517
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelbyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
Day2, +.5.
The same thing happened last time. I think it is from the salt. Today, I'll skip it and just use malt vinegar. I was planning on doing three days. I may have to add another day if I follow the same path as last time by going down 2.5 lb over days 4 and 5. I have a party Sat night and Sunday, but maybe I can just lay low and not partake in the food and drink. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
I think I ate a little over 2 lbs of potatoes yesterday. I am hoping to eat less today.
Last time I hacked I went to a party on Saturday night and HAD a mini-party Sunday. I just ate potatoes and did ok with club soda. Of course these were close personal friends who are intimately familiar with my weird eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
stayed the same today so still 3lbs up since sunday and .8 down from my 2 days of potatoes. i'm really bloated and didn't poop yesterday. i've been taking 2 aloe pills at 5pm every day and that's been giving me something-i'd give a 3 out of 10 if it were a dive .
anyway, 2lbs of potatoes and no bm is not fun. i feel like i'm stuffing a straw with socks if you know what i mean.

suggestions? i guess i'll stick with it one more day.

does anyone else have anything that helped them drop from a 5lb gain in one day, that after three days of clean eating has taken off only 2 of it??? so much for calories in calories out
Dara - Ok...first off... for feeling like a straw-stuffed sock.

Second, I really shouldn't laugh but...straw stuffed sock made me ...

I hope the aloe helps with the BM and you get things moving today.

I will bet money that when you go OFF the potato hack and if you go back to high fat/low carb that you will see some of that weight drop off. From water weight if nothing else. The hack has more benefits than just weight loss. There is definitely some "resetting" that goes on from re-introducing carbs. FOR ME, it helped more with the carb sensitivity and every time I do it, I find that I get less and less sensitive.

Next time, I am planning to alternate rice and potatoes to see if I can decrease rice sensitivity. It's an ongoing experiment of n = 1!

Yennie - on your point of the JUDDD vs hCG potato hacks, when you are on hCG, your body is releasing stored fat so you're really not existing on 500 calories per day but more 500 + whatever your body is releasing. After your vlcp (very low calorie protocol), you are supposed to find a good calorie level for you and try to stay within two pounds of your last dose weight. A lot of people automatically reduce calories because that's what we've always been taught to do to get the weight off. Stupid ADA! As I understand JUDDD (I did it for a short time but had binge issues on UDs), your calories actually average out to a normal'ish level, especially if you are not at diet levels on DDs. I think my numbers for maintenance were something like 800 on DDs and 2300 on UDs??? So an average of 1550, which isn't super high but also isn't starvation levels. I worry that on the potato hack, if you do it for a long time or try to eat really small amounts, that we put ourselves on that starvation diet. I have been eyeballing it mostly and eating to hunger (usually one large plus one small or 3 medium taters for a meal) but with my BP coffee in the morning plus potatoes plus about 1 large green plantain daily I think I'm hitting about 1300 calories. And I'm full which is awesome!

Going strong on day 4. Down a pound from Monday. Here's hoping for a little more tomorrow!
shelbyla is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #1518
Senior LCF Member
 
fiveninepointfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 575
Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
I don't know if I am ready, but I might read up on JUDDD. I just do not like feeling restricted. I need to figure something out though bc I do gain easily. I do not lose easily. I am hoping the potato hack helps with the sensitivity. I do not want to have to think about my daily food intake so much. I need a break. I think the UD could help. However, I am afraid that I will feel trapped on a DD.
fiveninepointfive is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #1519
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
Last time I hacked I went to a party on Saturday night and HAD a mini-party Sunday. I just ate potatoes and did ok with club soda. Of course these were close personal friends who are intimately familiar with my weird eating!



Dara - Ok...first off... for feeling like a straw-stuffed sock.

Second, I really shouldn't laugh but...straw stuffed sock made me ...

I hope the aloe helps with the BM and you get things moving today.

I will bet money that when you go OFF the potato hack and if you go back to high fat/low carb that you will see some of that weight drop off. From water weight if nothing else. The hack has more benefits than just weight loss. There is definitely some "resetting" that goes on from re-introducing carbs. FOR ME, it helped more with the carb sensitivity and every time I do it, I find that I get less and less sensitive.

Next time, I am planning to alternate rice and potatoes to see if I can decrease rice sensitivity. It's an ongoing experiment of n = 1!

Yennie - on your point of the JUDDD vs hCG potato hacks, when you are on hCG, your body is releasing stored fat so you're really not existing on 500 calories per day but more 500 + whatever your body is releasing. After your vlcp (very low calorie protocol), you are supposed to find a good calorie level for you and try to stay within two pounds of your last dose weight. A lot of people automatically reduce calories because that's what we've always been taught to do to get the weight off. Stupid ADA! As I understand JUDDD (I did it for a short time but had binge issues on UDs), your calories actually average out to a normal'ish level, especially if you are not at diet levels on DDs. I think my numbers for maintenance were something like 800 on DDs and 2300 on UDs??? So an average of 1550, which isn't super high but also isn't starvation levels. I worry that on the potato hack, if you do it for a long time or try to eat really small amounts, that we put ourselves on that starvation diet. I have been eyeballing it mostly and eating to hunger (usually one large plus one small or 3 medium taters for a meal) but with my BP coffee in the morning plus potatoes plus about 1 large green plantain daily I think I'm hitting about 1300 calories. And I'm full which is awesome!

Going strong on day 4. Down a pound from Monday. Here's hoping for a little more tomorrow!
shelby, your post made me feel better. if i can somehow desensitize my body to carbs it could change the way i live, well, that and sodium.

what do you suggest i eat tomorrow coming off of this 3 day hack?

btw, i did have some relief from the aloe today. Yippee! i really need to find these dancing icons, i'd put the party one. i hit the paper and pen thing at the end of your post, but don't see the icons on the side. let's see if the quote shows up.

also, have you known anyone to go on the injections for a wk or 10 days to get off 5lbs that won't budge? i did the homeopathic for 23 days last time, didn't cheat in p2or 3 and still have had trouble.

the endocrinologist said i could get a month worth of injections that last 6 mos. to a year.
i'm thinking about going to get them today or tomorrow. thoughts?
Gator is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #1520
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelbyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
shelby, your post made me feel better. if i can somehow desensitize my body to carbs it could change the way i live, well, that 1. and sodium.

2. what do you suggest i eat tomorrow coming off of this 3 day hack?

3. also, have you known anyone to go on the injections for a wk or 10 days to get off 5lbs that won't budge? i did the homeopathic for 23 days last time, didn't cheat in p2or 3 and still have had trouble.

the endocrinologist said i could get a month worth of injections that last 6 mos. to a year.
i'm thinking about going to get them today or tomorrow. thoughts?
Dara - a couple of points...

- you seem like you might have thyroid adrenal issues and if you have issues with salt almost certainly so. Two things might help that. Switch to Celtic Grey Sea Salt or Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. Both of them help with sodium balance. Also, if you don't regularly supplement potassium, you might consider that as well.

- coming off the hack, I've done it two ways: first hack, I did a low carb follow up which was great. That might work for you if you are still wanting to drop the extra pounds. This last hack, ate taters for lunch and "regular" dinners including small portions of starches including taters, sweet potatoes, rice and even some bread. During that week I stayed within 1 pound of where I started. So for me that was good for maintenance.

- on doing hCG for a week or 10 days, if you were only in the first two weeks of P3, I'd say go for it. But you're well into P4 and I really hesitate to recommend doing less than the 3 weeks of protocol. I just feel like you'll not stabilize very well or regain anything that you lose in the shorter timeframe. You've also been eating VERY light so you would probably be best re-loading which will undoubtedly put on a few pounds, if simply because of the low cals you've been on for a while. I just would hesitate to deviate too much, ESPECIALLY with the shots. As always, your course is completely up to you but those are just my thoughts.

Good luck however you decide to go forward!
shelbyla is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #1521
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,125
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Gator, it's just my very honest opinion, but could you be trying to go lower than your body *should* weigh? I worry about you getting injections, HCG, and doing other extreme dieting to get below your body's set point. You're 5'8 and under 140 now, correct? Seems a little worrisome, but again, JMHO.
Librarygirl is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #1522
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
Dara - a couple of points...

- you seem like you might have thyroid adrenal issues and if you have issues with salt almost certainly so. Two things might help that. Switch to Celtic Grey Sea Salt or Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. Both of them help with sodium balance. Also, if you don't regularly supplement potassium, you might consider that as well.

- coming off the hack, I've done it two ways: first hack, I did a low carb follow up which was great. That might work for you if you are still wanting to drop the extra pounds. This last hack, ate taters for lunch and "regular" dinners including small portions of starches including taters, sweet potatoes, rice and even some bread. During that week I stayed within 1 pound of where I started. So for me that was good for maintenance.

- on doing hCG for a week or 10 days, if you were only in the first two weeks of P3, I'd say go for it. But you're well into P4 and I really hesitate to recommend doing less than the 3 weeks of protocol. I just feel like you'll not stabilize very well or regain anything that you lose in the shorter timeframe. You've also been eating VERY light so you would probably be best re-loading which will undoubtedly put on a few pounds, if simply because of the low cals you've been on for a while. I just would hesitate to deviate too much, ESPECIALLY with the shots. As always, your course is completely up to you but those are just my thoughts.

Good luck however you decide to go forward!
i don't put salt on anything , but when you eat out food has salt in it as well as turkey sausage, the 4 inch all natural ones.

i have potassium, solary, but i stopped taking it. i'll start again.

i wonder if that endocrinologist is doing a test for adrenals. is there anything to correct that, and would that affect my snail metabolism? that bmr test where you blow into a tube was 1036.

oh, and you think high fat high protein, few veggies for tomorrow, or low fat high protein?
Gator is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #1523
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
that seems to be most people's opinion, but it's not mine. it's not where i'm comfortable. i fit in my size 4s, which i have a closet full of at 130-132.

there is no set point for me. it's not like i could eat every once in awhile and stay here. i just keep going up. ask dh of 18 yrs. i have to watch it like a hawk. you guys are all hearing me complain at 137, but that's how it starts. i've been here many times. before you know it, if i'm not perfect i'm 145 and incredibly unhappy in sweats.
Gator is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #1524
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,125
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
JUDDD would allow you to eat more and maintain, I think. I love it!
Librarygirl is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #1525
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,597
Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post

Yennie - on your point of the JUDDD vs hCG potato hacks, when you are on hCG, your body is releasing stored fat so you're really not existing on 500 calories per day but more 500 + whatever your body is releasing. After your vlcp (very low calorie protocol), you are supposed to find a good calorie level for you and try to stay within two pounds of your last dose weight. A lot of people automatically reduce calories because that's what we've always been taught to do to get the weight off. Stupid ADA! As I understand JUDDD (I did it for a short time but had binge issues on UDs), your calories actually average out to a normal'ish level, especially if you are not at diet levels on DDs. I think my numbers for maintenance were something like 800 on DDs and 2300 on UDs??? So an average of 1550, which isn't super high but also isn't starvation levels. I worry that on the potato hack, if you do it for a long time or try to eat really small amounts, that we put ourselves on that starvation diet. I have been eyeballing it mostly and eating to hunger (usually one large plus one small or 3 medium taters for a meal) but with my BP coffee in the morning plus potatoes plus about 1 large green plantain daily I think I'm hitting about 1300 calories. And I'm full which is awesome!
Shelby,
Thanks for the run down on HCG. After you guys joined up on this thread I meandered over to your boards and did some reading. Hats off to you gals who can pull that off - personally I think you're nuts! But that's with lots of love & admiration - the same way you think your girlfriend who will buy & rock the 5" stilettos is nuts.
It sounds like HCG and the potato hack work through much the same basic mechanism - mobilization of peripheral fat. Basically, the huge glycemic surge caused by eating the potato causes a large release in insulin. Fatty acids are a necessary part of insulin production & utilization. Normally, the body draws from dietary fats (ie, the fat that's also in the candy bar/cupcake/potato loaded with butter & sour cream you just ate) to satisfy this need. However, if you eat just potatoes and no fat, the body has no choice but to draw from peripheral fat stores. Some of the paleo hackers even report becoming ketotic. I never had been in my longer hacks, but my body seems to resist ketosis (or I drink so much dang water that I dilute out the ketones so much in my urine the test strips don't change. I won't test my blood, totally not interested enough to poke myself in the finger.)
I do wonder, though, if done too closely to a round of HCG, or done immediately after you stop taking drops, if you're body's ability to mobilize fats might be exhausted. After all, there does come a point of diminishing returns on the potato hack - there the calories consumed will overwhelm the body's ability to burn fat and pounds will not leave. I'm sure that point is different for everyone. Given that, I guess I would actually think that perhaps doing a potato hack after HCG would not be a good idea although it looks like you've done it successfully. But only 1 day at a time? Honestly I can't remember the details now.
Of course as we've discussed everyone's results vary and there are some who are miserable and gain on the PH. The people who seem, in my experience from reading multiple places, to have the worst luck are those coming off a low carb. The water retention from reintroducing carbs can cause a huge gain almost immediately.
Gator - I don't think anyone is judging you (not that you said you felt like anyone was) or thinking of anything other than your well-being long term. But, like Cindy (Library Girl), I've also thought that perhaps some of your challenges might be from unrealistic expectations. Both wanting to get too low and wanting to get those 5# off too fast. We all come in different shapes and sizes and are comfortable in different ways in our skin, and I truly want nothing but success & happiness for you in your weight loss journey. Bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about HCG (other than what Shelby just explained above) but I do know a lot about physiology. And, aside from the usual weight loss stalls, it really should not be this hard if the goal you're trying to reach is a place your body is comfortable. Or, certainly, it should happen with relatively more ease - I know those last few pounds ca be a bugger to get off.
I'd encourage you to look into JUDDD if you can tolerate the slower losses. The thing is that any weight you magic off in 2-3#/day is more likely to come back on. If you can take a bit more time to get those last few pounds off and adopt a WOE/WOL that is sustainable, then you might not spend the next 18 years on a roller coaster.
We just worry about the stress you are putting yourself and your body through. That is all. We you.
Yennie is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #1526
Senior LCF Member
 
fiveninepointfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Coast
Posts: 575
Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
that seems to be most people's opinion, but it's not mine. it's not where i'm comfortable. i fit in my size 4s, which i have a closet full of at 130-132.

there is no set point for me. it's not like i could eat every once in awhile and stay here. i just keep going up. ask dh of 18 yrs. i have to watch it like a hawk. you guys are all hearing me complain at 137, but that's how it starts. i've been here many times. before you know it, if i'm not perfect i'm 145 and incredibly unhappy in sweats.
Hey, Gator, I understand your frustration. I feel similar. I blink and I am up and up. I might try JUDDD, just not right now. I don't want to do another round either. It would be R4. It is a lot to put your body (and family) through. Plus, I was pretty hungry the whole time.

When I am in a good mood, I figure my weight was always a struggle, at least I am doing it at a smaller size.

I am not the most experienced, but I think trying the high fat/moderate protein/low carb macros, like, 60/30/10, for a couple days. Then try a correction day that appeals to you. Drink lots of water & tea. Take a couple detox baths and relax.

I don't know your history, but I wanted to try and help. If I have a question, I will google it followed by "hcg P4." That will get you some different point of views.

Good luck!
fiveninepointfive is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #1527
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Shelby,
Thanks for the run down on HCG. After you guys joined up on this thread I meandered over to your boards and did some reading. Hats off to you gals who can pull that off - personally I think you're nuts! But that's with lots of love & admiration - the same way you think your girlfriend who will buy & rock the 5" stilettos is nuts.
It sounds like HCG and the potato hack work through much the same basic mechanism - mobilization of peripheral fat. Basically, the huge glycemic surge caused by eating the potato causes a large release in insulin. Fatty acids are a necessary part of insulin production & utilization. Normally, the body draws from dietary fats (ie, the fat that's also in the candy bar/cupcake/potato loaded with butter & sour cream you just ate) to satisfy this need. However, if you eat just potatoes and no fat, the body has no choice but to draw from peripheral fat stores. Some of the paleo hackers even report becoming ketotic. I never had been in my longer hacks, but my body seems to resist ketosis (or I drink so much dang water that I dilute out the ketones so much in my urine the test strips don't change. I won't test my blood, totally not interested enough to poke myself in the finger.)
I do wonder, though, if done too closely to a round of HCG, or done immediately after you stop taking drops, if you're body's ability to mobilize fats might be exhausted. After all, there does come a point of diminishing returns on the potato hack - there the calories consumed will overwhelm the body's ability to burn fat and pounds will not leave. I'm sure that point is different for everyone. Given that, I guess I would actually think that perhaps doing a potato hack after HCG would not be a good idea although it looks like you've done it successfully. But only 1 day at a time? Honestly I can't remember the details now.
Of course as we've discussed everyone's results vary and there are some who are miserable and gain on the PH. The people who seem, in my experience from reading multiple places, to have the worst luck are those coming off a low carb. The water retention from reintroducing carbs can cause a huge gain almost immediately.
Gator - I don't think anyone is judging you (not that you said you felt like anyone was) or thinking of anything other than your well-being long term. But, like Cindy (Library Girl), I've also thought that perhaps some of your challenges might be from unrealistic expectations. Both wanting to get too low and wanting to get those 5# off too fast. We all come in different shapes and sizes and are comfortable in different ways in our skin, and I truly want nothing but success & happiness for you in your weight loss journey. Bearing in mind that I know next to nothing about HCG (other than what Shelby just explained above) but I do know a lot about physiology. And, aside from the usual weight loss stalls, it really should not be this hard if the goal you're trying to reach is a place your body is comfortable. Or, certainly, it should happen with relatively more ease - I know those last few pounds ca be a bugger to get off.
I'd encourage you to look into JUDDD if you can tolerate the slower losses. The thing is that any weight you magic off in 2-3#/day is more likely to come back on. If you can take a bit more time to get those last few pounds off and adopt a WOE/WOL that is sustainable, then you might not spend the next 18 years on a roller coaster.
We just worry about the stress you are putting yourself and your body through. That is all. We you.
Thanks, yennie. I agree that it shouldn't be this hard. That is why I went to this endocrinologist. I will have bloodwork done sat after seeing a hemotologist this Friday for a low WBC issue.
My follow up with endo is 5/30
Gator is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #1528
Senior LCF Member
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: los angeles
Posts: 68
Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveninepointfive View Post
Hey, Gator, I understand your frustration. I feel similar. I blink and I am up and up. I might try JUDDD, just not right now. I don't want to do another round either. It would be R4. It is a lot to put your body (and family) through. Plus, I was pretty hungry the whole time.

When I am in a good mood, I figure my weight was always a struggle, at least I am doing it at a smaller size.

I am not the most experienced, but I think trying the high fat/moderate protein/low carb macros, like, 60/30/10, for a couple days. Then try a correction day that appeals to you. Drink lots of water & tea. Take a couple detox baths and relax.

I don't know your history, but I wanted to try and help. If I have a question, I will google it followed by "hcg P4." That will get you some different point of views.

Good luck!
Thanks, five.
Today has been hard. When I have results I can stick to anything, but after 3 days of just potatoes and not getting the three lbs off has made me want to binge. I've eaten more taters today than the other days.
Gator is offline  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #1529
Major LCF Poster!
 
Yennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,597
Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Thanks, yennie. I agree that it shouldn't be this hard. That is why I went to this endocrinologist. I will have bloodwork done sat after seeing a hemotologist this Friday for a low WBC issue.
My follow up with endo is 5/30
This is good. I guess I missed concern about a health problem as well. Sorry about that - both for missing it and for the potential problem. I'm glad you're following up with an endo. I hope whomever you see considers your whole person, and not just the little part they're supposed to be concerned with. Advocate for yourself too!!
Best wishes for you, and keep us posted (if you're willing).
Yennie is offline  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #1530
Blabbermouth!!!
 
shelbyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,100
Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
i don't put salt on anything , but when you eat out food has salt in it as well as turkey sausage, the 4 inch all natural ones.

i have potassium, solary, but i stopped taking it. i'll start again.

i wonder if that endocrinologist is doing a test for adrenals. is there anything to correct that, and would that affect my snail metabolism? that bmr test where you blow into a tube was 1036.

oh, and you think high fat high protein, few veggies for tomorrow, or low fat high protein?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Thanks, yennie. I agree that it shouldn't be this hard. That is why I went to this endocrinologist. I will have bloodwork done sat after seeing a hemotologist this Friday for a low WBC issue.
My follow up with endo is 5/30
Adrenals and thyroid are very closely linked. As is electrolyte balance (salt and potassium). As are vitamin and mineral deficiencies--specifically, B's (12, 6, folinic acid), D, and iron. All need to be working right for your metabolism to work. Too little salt can be as bad as too much--you just need the right type of salt. As mentioned, Celtic Grey or Himalayan Pink are what is recommended. The recommended treatment order is vitamin/mineral deficiencies first (I'll bet you have low iron, B12, and D at least), adrenals, and THEN thyroid. The last piece is s*x hormones but those often normalize when the rest get sorted out. And YES, there are ways to treat them but often doctors don't or won't do the right tests or treat in the right order.

The tests that your endo gave you (the air, the blood and the heel thumping) are all iodine tests that look to detect thyroid deficiencies. I really wish you luck with your endo but I've been to some of the "best" in SoCal (and the most expensive--who don't take insurance) and they are still sadly lacking in knowledge and willingness to treat and fix thyroid and adrenal problems. Unfortunately, often they will try to treat part of the problem without seeing the whole picture which can make you feel worse. If you want to know who I've been to and who to avoid, PM me. I highly recommend looking into it on your own and with some patients' advocacy groups. The stop the thyroid madness people are awesome (google the name--it's a free site that can help when dealing with doctors). Also, the eaware.org site is a great resource. They all have support groups that are free on facebook and yahoo. Again, feel free to PM me if you are interested in more info. I'd still be seriously sick, fat, and certainly unemployed and/or on disability without them. I have been down this road and always try to help where I can.

I would do as someone suggested--high fat, moderate protein, low carb, and see where you land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Thanks, five.
Today has been hard. When I have results I can stick to anything, but after 3 days of just potatoes and not getting the three lbs off has made me want to binge. I've eaten more taters today than the other days.
THAT is probably a good thing! Keep us posted. I always saw my best losses after the 3rd or 4th day and usually when I thought I overate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Shelby,
Thanks for the run down on HCG. After you guys joined up on this thread I meandered over to your boards and did some reading. Hats off to you gals who can pull that off - personally I think you're nuts! But that's with lots of love & admiration - the same way you think your girlfriend who will buy & rock the 5" stilettos is nuts.

It sounds like HCG and the potato hack work through much the same basic mechanism - mobilization of peripheral fat.

Some of the paleo hackers even report becoming ketotic. I never had been in my longer hacks, but my body seems to resist ketosis (or I drink so much dang water that I dilute out the ketones so much in my urine the test strips don't change.

Given that, I guess I would actually think that perhaps doing a potato hack after HCG would not be a good idea although it looks like you've done it successfully. But only 1 day at a time? Honestly I can't remember the details now.
I guess that I'm the gf who does hCG AND wears the 5 inch stilettos (and/or platforms )...

I completely understand how nuts hCG sounds. I actually had a doctor recommend it to me (an endo weirdly) and I said "Buddy, I eat more than 500 calories for BREAKFAST! Thanks but no freakin' thanks!" It was about a year later that in desperation, after trying EVERYTHING else to get the weight off and AFTER I had normalized my hormones, I decided to try hhCG. I am so glad I did because it helped me where nothing else could. I just figured, I'd certainly done weirder things for 21 days (cabbage soup, meat and eggs, watermelon) so why not give it a try? If I got too hungry or had any issues with low blood glucose, I'd just eat something, right? Easy to fix--eat something--and easy to stop any time. But I never experienced any low BG ever on any of my rounds, homeopathic OR rx. (Which is why I don't poo-poo the homeopathic as some do--it did SOMETHING to prevent my blood sugar from dropping!) What I DID experience was a rapid dropping of weight, a new appreciation for whole foods and what I can and can't eat, a better understanding of my eating issues, and a metabolism that, thank god, is back and better than ever. Sure, I can't go back to eating junk food--who can?--but I CAN have the occasional indulgence without paying too high a price. It is a last resort but one that works for many.

And I agree that the h/hCG mechanism of drawing fat from our reserves is similar physiologically to the potato hack. I DO become ketotic on the potato hack but I recognize it not through the strips but through the other signs--"metal mouth," odd smelling urine, mad energy, etc. Like you, I drink copious amounts of water daily (probably close to 2 gallons) so I never got into ketosis according to the strips but I sure got into it according to my symptoms. I'm still unclear about how you can get into ketosis on the potato hack but I can sure tell that I am! My last hack was the longest at 5 or 6 days (I did 5 "pure" and two "half" days last time) and this time will be 5 pure days. I was down almost another pound this morning and am back into my happy range. I am getting a little bored with taters (almost caved to some leftover pork last night) but the 0.9 down this morning will help me get through today.

I won't be weighing tomorrow (taking a red-eye tonight) but my weight is what it is. I'm ok in my bikini, even if I am up a few pounds from LDW, and I'll be fine on my vacation in Palm Beach. Curious to see if hacking helps the usual vacation gain. Stay tuned for an update in a week!
shelbyla is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.