Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #1471
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Does anyone think that chewing sugar free gum during the hack (eight days for me) could have interfered and cause a gain?
How dispiriting after putting in all that effort. Do you normally stall with alternative sweeteners?

I can't think of an obvious reason. There might be theoretical ones it would be tricky to confirm such as the taste of the gum leading your body to expect calories so keeping the insulin levels trickling along instead of clearing. Or some odd conflict between (say sorbitol) and the resistant starch of the potato. Even writing those possible issues feels implausible.

I hope somebody knows.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #1472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
SlowSure, You could be a commercial representative of the tater/rice hack. I am 100% positive that I could not have stayed with it that many days!

Excellent dedication!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
just popping in to say how much pleasure it gives me to see people have such success with the potato hack!
Where would we be without you adopters and pioneers who experimented with this implausible thing and demonstrated that it can work. (Appropriate caveats apply for some metabolisms.)

Sunday, thank you but I have to admit that it was pretty much desperation. I just couldn't have borne the same 2lbs bouncing back for the 6th weekend in a row. After it solved that I carried on because I wanted to make sure it didn't rebound and I had a couple of low points when I felt so unwell during the hack that I wanted to get something substantial out of it and it seemed easiest to do that by continuing (but with rice as well).
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #1473
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Well, last day of my potato hack. I will have taters through tonight's dinner so I have 1 more weigh in to go. But so far 5 days and 5 lbs down!! I am so excited!!!! I have a lunch out tomorrow and we are going out again on Monday for lunch, so I won't try this again til next Tues, but I am hoping for good things this week. I hope not to rebound. I am only on page 11 of this thread (boy it really has taken off, hasn't it LOL) so am thinking I need to at least low carb it this weekend. Easy peasy for me.

Happy Weekend everyone!!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #1474
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/132/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Dukan now JUDDD
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
How dispiriting after putting in all that effort. Do you normally stall with alternative sweeteners?

I can't think of an obvious reason. There might be theoretical ones it would be tricky to confirm such as the taste of the gum leading your body to expect calories so keeping the insulin levels trickling along instead of clearing. Or some odd conflict between (say sorbitol) and the resistant starch of the potato. Even writing those possible issues feels implausible.

I hope somebody knows.
Thank you Slowsure for your reply. I'm sure you're right and it wasn't the gum, just me! Would be interested to know if others that are or were successful chewed sf gum without any problem.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #1475
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Weight is down after an UD! Yayy!! I was actually looking forward to my potato day today all of yesterday!!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #1476
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Where would we be without you adopters and pioneers who experimented with this implausible thing and demonstrated that it can work. (Appropriate caveats apply for some metabolisms.)

Sunday, thank you but I have to admit that it was pretty much desperation. I just couldn't have borne the same 2lbs bouncing back for the 6th weekend in a row. After it solved that I carried on because I wanted to make sure it didn't rebound and I had a couple of low points when I felt so unwell during the hack that I wanted to get something substantial out of it and it seemed easiest to do that by continuing (but with rice as well).
SlowSure, I remember reading on Ray Cronise site that they concluded that 2 weeks of pure tater fast will actually re-set your metabolism. I have yet to make it that long. I think 7 days may be my longest. I will attempt this possibly next week. Svenska (whom I miss and am concerned about) wanted to try the re-set with me and she never returned. Has anyone heard from her? I hope all is well.

Yay for Gillygum!

Last edited by sunday; 05-10-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #1477

Quote:
SlowSure, I remember reading on Ray Cronise site that they concluded that 2 weeks of pure tater fast will actually re-set your metabolism. I have yet to make it that long. I think 7 days may be my longest. I will attempt this possibly next week. Svenska (whom I miss and am concerned about) wanted to try the re-set with me and she never returned. Has anyone heard from her? I hope all is well.

Yay for Gillygum!
Wow!! I am all set for a re-set sunday But wow, 2 weeks. I barely made it to today and am considering what to do for dinner. I want to eat something other than taters but won't. I want to finish out this hack I started. I understand you on the "I don't think I can do this for THAT long". But heck, I did hcg for 21 days, I can do anything. I will have to think about it and see what I can come up with. I want to at least try. Like you,I think a full 7 days would wear me out. I am thinking of starting next Tuesday as I am going out on Monday for lunch. I will have to look at a calendar to make sure nothing else is scheduled for the 2 weeks, and make sure that I am done before I leave for Japan, if the trip is on! Imagine, going overseas with no worries about being on a diet. That would be my dream.

I can start on Tuesday. When will you start sunday?

Last edited by dawnyama; 05-10-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #1478
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygum View Post
Shelby 8lbs in 5 days?! Congrats thats incredible!! Was this 5 days of all potatoes or ud/ph?
Just potatoes. Not UD/DD.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1479
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Well, last day of my potato hack. I will have taters through tonight's dinner so I have 1 more weigh in to go. But so far 5 days and 5 lbs down!! I am so excited!!!! I have a lunch out tomorrow and we are going out again on Monday for lunch, so I won't try this again til next Tues, but I am hoping for good things this week. I hope not to rebound. I am only on page 11 of this thread (boy it really has taken off, hasn't it LOL) so am thinking I need to at least low carb it this weekend. Easy peasy for me.

Happy Weekend everyone!!!!
Quote:
Wow!! I am all set for a re-set sunday But wow, 2 weeks. I barely made it to today and am considering what to do for dinner. I want to eat something other than taters but won't. I want to finish out this hack I started. I understand you on the "I don't think I can do this for THAT long". But heck, I did hcg for 21 days, I can do anything. I will have to think about it and see what I can come up with. I want to at least try. Like you,I think a full 7 days would wear me out. I am thinking of starting next Tuesday as I am going out on Monday for lunch. I will have to look at a calendar to make sure nothing else is scheduled for the 2 weeks, and make sure that I am done before I leave for Japan, if the trip is on! Imagine, going overseas with no worries about being on a diet. That would be my dream.

So happy that it worked out ok for you Dawn! At least dropping a few pounds, if nothing else! I'm going to start probably Monday so I'll be with you for another hack next week!
Old 05-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #1480
Senior LCF Member

I am stoked! Down 4 lbs after 3 days (1UD/2DD)! I was nervous because I went well over my DD alotted calories with the potatoes yesterday. But I said no to both this delicious pizza and some birthday cake the family I babysit for were offering me and now I'm so glad I did!! It helped knowing I could have some treats today!! Well worth the wait!!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #1481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FairyWren
Stats: 178/136/124 5'3"
WOE: LC JUDDD
Recently re-started JUDDD and am interested in trying out potato DDs - had my first potato DD yesterday and found it OK. I think it'll be nice not to have to think and plan too hard what to eat on a DD, not to mention cutting down the food bill!

Down 5lbs for the week when i weighed this morning so no complaints so far.

Will report back as and when...
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #1482
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Uh-oh, if we start Tues, we will still be hacking on Memorial Day Monday. I really believe if I were to be successful, I will need to wait until Tuesday after Memorial Day, which would run to Jun 10. If you are trying to lose before a certain date, please go ahead and go.

I will do a search, but it seems to me that 10 days should be sufficient instead of 14. But, I could be wrong. Slowsure did a whole month, which is amazing and she had wonderful results, but I don't think I could go any longer than 10 or 14 days.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #1483
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Dawn & Sunday,
The longest I've ever done is 7 days and it changed my outlook on a lot of things. Not saying that 10-14 days would not be better, and my hat is SO OFF to SS for her 28 day hack. I guess my point is that even with 5-7 days I feel you will get some benefits.
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you to reintroduce fats carefully after an extended hack...or you'll be spending a lot of uncomfortable time in the bathroom...
Old 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #1484
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Uh-oh, if we start Tues, we will still be hacking on Memorial Day Monday. I really believe if I were to be successful, I will need to wait until Tuesday after Memorial Day, which would run to Jun 10. If you are trying to lose before a certain date, please go ahead and go.

I will do a search, but it seems to me that 10 days should be sufficient instead of 14. But, I could be wrong. Slowsure did a whole month, which is amazing and she had wonderful results, but I don't think I could go any longer than 10 or 14 days.
My first and second hacks were 4 days and my last hack was 5 pure days plus a half day on either end. I found many many benefits to a 4 day hack so I would agree with Yennie that it may not be strictly necessary to do 10-14 days.

I am hacking again this week in preparation for my Palm Beach (aka "bikini") vacation beginning next Saturday. Starting today and hoping to go all the way thru Friday. We are staying in a place with a kitchen so I may even attempt a few half PDs (potatoes for lunch) during my time there.

I had a couple of great victories this past week that I will attribute to the potato hack. First, every day last week, I had bp coffee for breakfast, potatoes for lunch, and a normal, paleo'ish dinner with bf, including carbs and no sugar dessert. I probably ate ~2000 calories per day. And my weight stayed rock solid--right at where I landed after my hack of the previous week. Second, this past weekend, I ate normally, carbs and all, real sugar dessert, a couple of meals out, LOTS of wine and this morning? Again, EXACTLY the same weight as Saturday morning. In previous incarnations, today I would have been dieting off the typical 4-5 pounds that I had gained over the weekend. If that doesn't speak to better insulin sensitivity, I don't know what does!

Onward with hack #4! Love me some taters!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 7 - 02/16/14, 33 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~175->???
Old 05-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #1485
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great to hear, Shelbyla! That is what I am learning too!

"It is miraculous!!!", says the 55 year old post meno woman who can't lose weight the normal way and has tried every and anything! And I mean Everything!!!

I am doing a trial of "potatoes only" after protein filled late breakfast. Will let you know how this works out! I will start the true hack next week!

Last edited by sunday; 05-13-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1486
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie and Shelbyla,

Appreciate the words of encouragement & advice. 5 days hacking is so much more manageable than the 14 days.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #1487
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gator
Stats: start145.8/load153/LDW131.4
WOE: HCG
Start Date: start 3/8/13 RIP1
i started yesterday at 134.4 up 3 from ldw.
ate pecan pancakes with sf syrup-left some on plate, about 1/2 pancake, which is rare for me.

had a yogurt pie with graham cracker crust and fat free fudge. and a side of fat free brownies(little topping cup).

later i had 2 sausages(sf) cooked at home with peppers and onions.

later had 6oz of chicken breast with FF sour cream(about 3T)

weighed in at 139.6! up 5.2!!

i get hit by a semi when i over indulge, not a mini cooper, but a semi!

it's 1:15 and i've had 2 cups of coffee with 1T of cocoa in each. that's it. i don't know what to do. every time i've tried a cd it hasn't worked, including 2 sds.

this has been my life. that is why i don't do dates and eat out with my family b/c i get hammered.
i thought hcg was supposed to help with that.

i stayed within a lb of LDW for almost a full 3 wks of P3 and then it started to go up little by little so i thought i was pretty stable on the stabilization, but that has not been my case.

Shelby, and others do you think a hack would help me?? It's super scary bc how carb sensitive I am. See above post.
Is it too late to do it today since I've already had the cocoa in my coffee??

Also, where can I get exact details of what and how much to eat. I don't do the dd/Ud thing, but I could if I need to for this.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #1488
Blabbermouth!!!

Dara, I used to have the same problems when I drank alcohol or had any sort of processed food (like bacon or sausage) or sugar or starch. I can't promise anything from the potato hack but it's worth a shot, don't you think? When did you have the coffee? If it has been at least 4 hours then, sure, you can start hacking now, today. Here is what I typed to my gf this morning about the details...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok. So the potato hack...

The basic premise is this. Eat potatoes and ONLY potatoes for as long as you can stand. Usually they recommend 3-14 days. No protein, no fat. There is no particular amount that you can or should eat or any particular kind of tater or manner of preparation except for it has to be non-fat. So you can eat russets, reds, yukon golds, purple potatoes, all good. Some people include sweet potatoes but I didn't see very good losses with those. Most people prepare them either boiled or baked but you can also "dry fry" them in a non-stick pan or mash them. You can have non-fat condiments like no-sugar salsa, low fat/protein broth, soy sauce, vinegars, S&P or other spices (I bet Dad's would be good on them), SF catsup, mustard, or whatever, but really the plainer they are, the better. It's more about getting satiated and listening to your hunger signals than making them taste good. I have found that I end up eating between 1 and 2 pounds daily and that I like baked russets with just S&P and malt vinegar the best but it's really individual. For maximum benefit, try to eat them cold. The whole point of the hack is to increase your good gut flora which is a direct result of the resistant starch in the taters--and they have more resistant starch if they are cold. They can be room temp (i.e. baked and left out) but not hot.

If you absolutely NEED to have fat (i.e. cream in coffee), it needs to be at LEAST 4 hours prior to the taters as fats digest very slowly. If you eat taters, you need to wait at LEAST 2-3 hours after the taters to eat fat or protein (carbs digest quicker so not as long). I have been having one bulletproof coffee in the morning with the usual 2T of butter at 7:30'ish. More coffee but black until noon then I start eating taters. This has been working fine for me.

You may or may not notice a huge amount of water weight loss or weight loss immediately. It seems to depend on how low carb you have been eating. The carbs can definitely cause some initial water gains as your system readjusts but it helps with carb sensitivity so much later! One thing you may notice while hacking is more...erm...gas than usual. This is entirely due to the beneficial aspects of the hack and it actually means your gut is healing and the good gut flora is doing what it needs to do.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Dawn & Sunday,
The longest I've ever done is 7 days and it changed my outlook on a lot of things. Not saying that 10-14 days would not be better, and my hat is SO OFF to SS for her 28 day hack. I guess my point is that even with 5-7 days I feel you will get some benefits.
I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you to reintroduce fats carefully after an extended hack...or you'll be spending a lot of uncomfortable time in the bathroom...
I sooo agree!!! I barely lasted the days I did last week, don't know if I can hack 14 days (pun intended)

Ah, the fat. I went from potatoes straight to eating out this weekend, which included lots of fat--my normal diet is high in fat. No issues there, thankfully. So I think that is very individual. Could also be because I was not 100% fat free on my potato days. I started out my days with coffee and full fat cream, waited my 4 hours then had my potato meals.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #1490

Quote:

I am not sure when I will start either. Tomorrow will be good for me, but I can wait. I will be up for anything. I will see how my morning goes and how the day at work pans out. If I can starving before I get off and have to eat something, then I may not do it. If I can hold off, then I might do a potato day. Ah, we will wait and see. Oh, and I wonder how TOM fits into this. Just started today, so not sure if I will feel like hacking. Might be a good time on the other hand since I am not hungry on some TOM days. I will sleep on it
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #1491
Senior LCF Member

Thanks,shelby. I think I'll probably do it tomorrow or beginning of next week, depending on what scale says. I have a dinner Friday night so I'd only be able to get on 3 days. Is that too short?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #1492
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
I haven't found the time to read the entire thread yet but was wondering if anyone has eaten potatoes only on DDs or EOD rather than doing an official elongated potato hack.

If so, can you describe your potato DD? Do you eat up to 500 calories and no more or do you eat until you are satisfied even if that means going over 500. How many DDs did you eat just potatoes and what were your results?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #1493
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Thanks,shelby. I think I'll probably do it tomorrow or beginning of next week, depending on what scale says. I have a dinner Friday night so I'd only be able to get on 3 days. Is that too short?
I think three days is minimum. Give it a shot. What do you have to lose at this point?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
I think three days is minimum. Give it a shot. What do you have to lose at this point?
And you can find out if it works for you too, Dara.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #1495
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood2013 View Post
I haven't found the time to read the entire thread yet but was wondering if anyone has eaten potatoes only on DDs or EOD rather than doing an official elongated potato hack.

If so, can you describe your potato DD? Do you eat up to 500 calories and no more or do you eat until you are satisfied even if that means going over 500. How many DDs did you eat just potatoes and what were your results?

Thanks!
Most of my DD's now are potato days but I am in maintenance. I eat around 600 calories but I eat a regular breakfast with eggs and coffee with HWC every morning then I wait until lunch and have cold boiled potatoes the rest of the day. If I am still hungry when I eat my calories I eat another potato. I have dropped a few pounds in maintenance doing potato DD's but mainly do them so I can have more calories on DD's and not gain.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #1496
Senior LCF Member

Ok I'll get potatoes tomorrow am, google how to cook them. Did you weigh the 1-2 lbs prior to cooking? Do you think you'd lose more without cream or butter in the coffee or crapshoot?

Dawn, are you starting tomorrow?

Can you use garlic and onion powder and cayanne pepper?

I don't want to do this and screw it up on a technicality.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #1497
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
If you are asking me, I never use butter in coffee but use HWC daily BUT I wait 5 - 6 hours after my breakfast before I start eating potatoes so the fat does not interfere by then. I only use salt or lemon pepper on my cold boiled potatoes. I weigh my potatoes cooked.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #1498
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LifeIsGood2013
Thanks Adi. I am also in maintenance so I'll aim for 600 total cals on my next DD to see how it goes. At the very least it will add in some variety
Old 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1499
Senior LCF Member

What is the minimum and maximum number of cals you guys shoot for? I boiled red and put baby yellow in oven halved with cayanne and onion and garlic powder and a little malt vinegar. Vinegar didn't have nutrition stats. Does it have sodium?

I was only down 1.6 from my 5.2 gain from Sunday. I ate. 600 cals yesterday.
I've seen some people gained and that scares the tar out of me! I only have three days bc I have a dinner Friday night. Protocol didn't work so I'm hoping this will.

Please advise on too much or not enough.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #1500
Senior LCF Member

Gator, did u start today? I'll do a 3 day with u! But I have to start tomorrow. I'm an idiot. I was doing well with the potato hack and then had a potato day scheduled on Mother's Day but we had a dinner etc so I decided to make it an upday.. Long story short, the combination of my feastivus and t.o.m., I'm up to about 140.
Closed Thread