Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I had to ask my husband how to measure diameter and he asked what I was measuring-didn't tell him why I was measuring potatoes at 7am in the morning I'm eating white and red potatoes starting out and they're round so easy to measure diameter. Russets would be harder to measure because of their shape
I'm cracking up!

Yeah, the kitchen scale is a Godsend! I baked potatoes in foil early this morning. Just unwrapped one, still warm, used a paring knife and scraped the skin away 'cause this is one of those rough-skinned russets, and I don't like that skin. Otherwise, I eat potato skin. Anyway, popped it on the scale after I'd skinned it and.. PRESTO! 4.5 ounces. Period. I entered it into ****** along with my 2 tablespoonfuls of nonfat yogurt I topped the potato with, added a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and my tummy is good to go for quite awhile.

Now, I'll be an interesting experiment because I'm eating potatoes, but also putting half & half in my coffees. So carbs and fat this DD. That's supposed to be a big NO-NO. But I'll be adhering to the overall calorie numbers, so that's supposed to be a good thing.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
We shall see how it goes for you DDers--I did an UD first with potatoes before I attempted a DD, so that may be why my appetite disappeared. My DD was easy, but as I said, I am now just doig the PPD without Judding. I
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #123
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
OOOOO, Pat, you can send me your potato skins!

I will probably try potatoes next week - DH will be out of town and I prefer to look eccentric privately (yeah, riiiiight). I had already decided (1) start on UD, and (2) probably ignore calories and just aim for less one day and more the next.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
OOOOO, Pat, you can send me your potato skins!

I will probably try potatoes next week - DH will be out of town and I prefer to look eccentric privately (yeah, riiiiight). I had already decided (1) start on UD, and (2) probably ignore calories and just aim for less one day and more the next.
I normally eat potato skins, but these russets lately have all had very course, rough skins. Otherwise, on all potatoes I eat the skins too. And sometimes I eat these skins as well, as rough and tough as they are, but for breakfast today... I just couldn't hack it!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #125

OMG.. You GUYS!!! What if we could make Down Day POTATO SKINS! I'm going to try it for the evening when I'd like something snacky and yummy and hot and melty and potato-y!

This is going to be the best Down Day EVER! WooHoo!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #126
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
OMG.. You GUYS!!! What if we could make Down Day POTATO SKINS! I'm going to try it for the evening when I'd like something snacky and yummy and hot and melty and potato-y!

This is going to be the best Down Day EVER! WooHoo!
Wow, that sounds really really good I wonder how many calories are just in potato skins-I'd totally be ok with ditching the potato part, if I could have more skins Off to google!

eta: ok, it looks like the peels from a 3 inch potato has 63 calories. I don't know how accurate that is but I found it in a couple different places so I'm going to go by that number

Last edited by mom23kids; 11-27-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
It's dinner time here, on UD.

I have had two potato sittings so far, 750 kcal total

I have 4 medium baked Spuds for Dinner, I'll be amazed if I can eat them, that will take me too 1900 kcals, I suspect that may be it for me, unless I can squeeze in a few cold new potatoes before bed?

I'm really looking forward to the scale in the morning, I feel lean if that makes sense?

We will see.....
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
I am so curious to find out the potato results!!!! -- especially since I have been sticking to pure protein the last couple of months!! lol
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
It is gonna be a hoot if, after serious scientific review, we decide JUDDD newbies who eat carbs should spend their first 'x' DDs eating only 500 calories of potatoes. Forget supplements and expensive pills! Disdaining adjust protein/fat/carb allotments! Just eat spuds to get those SIRTs flowing! And have at least 'x' SPUDDD days a week to keep 'em tuning up and doing their thing!

I nominate Ouizoid for the most thought-provoking and enthusiastically embraced post of the year!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-27-2012 at 09:45 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
I may give this a go. But, I will be waiting for Sunday (mid-dish) and Monday DD to start. Iwant to read the thread on the other site, first. Sunday is my typical JUDDD experimentation day.

I can say with absolute certainty whatever I eat on my UD today...there. will. be. potatoes. Talk about the power of suggestion. Mercy.

Sometimes when I buy a 10 pound bag of potatoes I bake all or half of the bag immediately. I cut them in half before baking because they cook faster and because I make potato skins from them. I take out all the middles and make mashed potatoes for the kids on my DD. Then, I just freeze the potato skins and have one with meat and a green veggie on UD. I count it as 1/3 of a medium potato because it one half with the middle removed. Every couple of months I will make potato soup on UD Saturday. mmmm
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #131
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
All of this potato talk made me get up and go to the store and buy a bag of little potatoes, a jar of a local brand of salsa with just tomatoes, peppers and vinegar, malt vinegar and lemon pepper seasoning.
Since I am at work I had to weigh the potatoes on the postage meter scale. Three little guys were almost 8 ounces. It would have cost $2.60 postage by the way.
microwaved, measured 6 T of salsa for 15 calories and sprinkled malt vinegar over all and sprinkled on some lemon pepper seasoning. Was not sure I was going to be able to finish the last little tater. Was getting FULL. So we shall see how I fare. I usually have VERY low calories on DD's so this will be more like a 400 calorie day.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Wow, this thread is busy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I'm wondering about the malt vinegar... Is the malt supposed to do something special?
I don't think so. It just has a different flavor (made from beer) and is traditionally used with fried potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I hear you Sara...things are tight here too. I hope to find one cheap! Ebay anyone?
Try freecycle, if you have one in your area, and/or thrift stores. I got a digital one at WalMart for about $20...there are a couple on Amazon *right now* for $16, and a "pocket" scale for $10. A small scale works fine as long as it has a tare function, because you can put a bowl on it, zero it out, and then weigh your food (rather than trying to balance roly-poly veggies on a small surface ). Non-digital scales are about $5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
Wow.... sounds interesting. I'd definitely consider it, but with arthritis potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplants (nightshades) are no-nos. I wonder if a certain type of them would be better than others if I wanted to try it?
I don't know if they work as tater subs on this diet, but sweet potatoes do not contain nightshade alkaloids.

I'm thinking purple (Peruvian) potatoes might be good. I just did a quick Google search and they reduce CRP (inflammation marker).

If you can get freshly harvested potatoes from a local farmer, and/or ones that have been stored in a root cellar or paper bag, they should be lower in solanine. Most potatoes in the grocery store are exposed to light. Keep your potatoes in the dark!

"Green potatoes are toxic due to the alkaloid solanine. When potatoes are exposed to light, the potatoes' increased production of solanine causes the green tint. Do not eat green potatoes! They are toxic enough to cause poisoning.

Potato sprouts also contain enough solanine to be toxic. Cut out the sprout and its eye before use."
--http://www.getting-started-with-healthy-eating.com/nightshade-vegetables.html

Some of the info I just stumbled across seems to suggest that nightshades can cause joint pain that resembles arthritis. So, many people who believe they have or have been diagnosed with arthritis may just have a nightshade sensitivity. That could also explain why some people with arthritis do not experience improvement when they eliminate nightshades.
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/14 276.8
Old 11-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Potaotes don't bother me but peppers sure do so I steer clear of them. Especially jalapenos. Almost instant joint pain from those little pickled rings of delishiousness.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #134
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
One potato, two potato, three potato, MORE!!!

Ate my second potato for lunch with spray butter, salt and pepper and a few drops of hot sauce. Am pretty satisfied now, but not completely un-hungry. Will see how I feel when I get home this evening....
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #135

Off to the kitchen to make a big bowl of potato salad for lunch. I'll eat it about 2:00..
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #136
Established

I'm experimenting with potato skins right now I peeled the skins off of two 3 inch russet potatoes (had to cut extra inches off lol), using a potato peeler (so no potato flesh per se). I mixed a bunch of random spices together and put them in a gallon ziploc bag, sprayed the skins with ICBNS spray (five sprays), and then put them in the bag and shook it up so the skins were covered in the spices. Heated oven to 450 and lined a cookie sheet with foil and then sprayed with Pam. They're cooking now-I'll update after I try them!

eta: according to an online calculator I found, two 3 inch potatoes worth of skins should be around 126 calories.

Last edited by mom23kids; 11-27-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
I'm experimenting with potato skins right now I peeled the skins off of two 3 inch russet potatoes (had to cut extra inches off lol), using a potato peeler (so no potato flesh per se). I mixed a bunch of random spices together and put them in a gallon ziploc bag, sprayed the skins with ICBNS spray (five sprays), and then put them in the bag and shook it up so the skins were covered in the spices. Heated oven to 450 and lined a cookie sheet with foil and then sprayed with Pam. They're cooking now-I'll update after I try them!
Yummy!! Sara, this sounds so good!

Pat, your potatoe salad sounds good, too! Can you tell us how you make it?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #138
Established

Ok, potato skins were absolutely yummy! Downside is I really want more now I don't know how filling these actually are, since they shrink when cooked and there's not a whole lot to them. But they taste good enough that I can see this being a new DD staple of mine, after I'm done with the potato hack

I cooked them at 450 for 4 minutes, flipped, and then cooked for another 2 minutes.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #139

Quote:
Ok, potato skins were absolutely yummy! Downside is I really want more now I don't know how filling these actually are, since they shrink when cooked and there's not a whole lot to them. But they taste good enough that I can see this being a new DD staple of mine, after I'm done with the potato hack

I cooked them at 450 for 4 minutes, flipped, and then cooked for another 2 minutes.
I will be making the stuffed potato skins where you cut a potato in half, hollow each half out, leaving about 1/4 inch of actual potato lining each shell, then add the cheese filling, etc.

I'm going to spread each hollowed potato with some Aldi's light cheese wedge (like Laughing Cow but only 25 calories per wedge) then slice up green onions, both white and green tops, sprinkle that over, then a few shreds of packaged shredded cheddar, then a tiny sprinkle of bacon crumbles (about 1/2 slice worth), and stick them in the oven under the broiler until they're hot and browned and glorious, and finally I'll top them with a dollop of lowfat Dannon yogurt. LOL That's what I have on hand. No carton of sour cream in the refrig. Darn!

On an Up Day, I'd make the REAL STUFFED POTATO SKINS, but for a DD, I'll stick with this and see how I like it.

One of these days I'll keep the potato peelings and make baked crisps out of them too. Sounds delicious! In fact, I think I'll just peel a potato down to nothing and add those parings to it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #140
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Try freecycle, if you have one in your area, and/or thrift stores. I got a digital one at WalMart for about $20...there are a couple on Amazon *right now* for $16, and a "pocket" scale for $10. A small scale works fine as long as it has a tare function, because you can put a bowl on it, zero it out, and then weigh your food (rather than trying to balance roly-poly veggies on a small surface ). Non-digital scales are about $5.

I found one for 15.99, or at least by phone. Will purchase probably Thurs. It's made by Taylor.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #141

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I had my 4 oz. potato with malt vinegar and salt for lunch at 11:45. At first, I was still a little hungry, but not bad. After a half hour or so, I felt very satisfied. Now it's a little after 2:00 and I'm getting hungry. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. I have another 4 oz. potato here at work in case I need it. I may try it cold with a little salt since I have read that cold potatoes increase satiety.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Three little guys were almost 8 ounces. It would have cost $2.60 postage by the way.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Dawn--you are very observant--delayed satiety (leading to extreme satiety) seems to be common with the PD. I ignore my tummy rumbling right after I eat because I know that if I dared to eat a 2nd tater I will be Thanksgiving Full and wayy uncomfortable.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #144

I was too eager to try Stuffed Potato Skins, so went ahead and made up a couple halves just now. Even the DD way of making them is FABULOUS! About 160 calories, but could be much lower as I don't think I hollowed out the potato skin nearly enough. Even after I scooped out some of the center, it still weighed 3.8 ounces.

A cold low-cal beer would be so good with these......
Old 11-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Pat those skins sound amazing. I am going to do those.

I investigated high satiety foods back in my early days of DD hunger. There is a chart they made after a clinical trail. Cold new potatoes came out tops and white fish was high as well so I had meals combining the two. It certainly worked for me.

I can't do it this week as we are off for a three day visit with friends but when I get back I might give it a try. It would be nice to go into Christmas a few pounds down. Christmas for us Brits is a dieting disaster area. Average gain is around 7 -10 pounds over the season.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Erika1962
Stats: 260-181.4-/-170-5'5/51
WOE: Grain/ Sugar free and 4:3
Ohhhh, I am so stalking this thread! I just might turn into a potato head this weekend
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
Well, I mentioned this to my fiance last night, and he enthusiastically said "Let's do it!" So, I guess we're going to give it a shot, starting Monday. He's all excited about going shopping for different kinds of vinegar...

I can say in all honesty, he will not have a problem doing this with just potatoes, vinegar, and spices. I, on the other hand, am a sucker for adding in all the good stuff (butter, sour cream, cheese...lol) so it's going to be a hard week for me. but I'm looking forward to seeing how I can dress it up with the "allowable" ingredients to get a true result.

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Old 11-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #148
Established

Good morning everyone! Yesterday I decided to try this on my DD. I did have chicken broth at around 6pm because I was hungry (3 1/2 hours after my last potato-the skins I made). I also went to bed really hungry. Normally on DDs I eat every 1-2 hours to avoid the feeling of hunger, so I think I will have to tweak my future potato DDs and include more broth-maybe eat my last potato at 2, have broth at 4, 6, and 8pm? The broth I have has 1 gram of fat per serving so very low, and I would be eating it several hours after my last potato....I'll play around with this tomorrow on my second DD potato day. I also woke up with a headache, which is unusual. I think the broth would help with this too.

Today is an UD and I'm going to eat normally-no potatoes. It will also be a high carb day-starting it at McDonalds and ending it at a local pizza place. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Yesterday my DD calorie intake was around 410, if I estimated the size of my potatoes correctly.

So, onto my morning weigh in......

Down 1.5lbs, for a new low weight for me @ 157lbs
I don't know if the potatoes had anything to do with this loss, but I'm definitely open to the idea of making one of my DD's a potato/broth day every week. I'm very interested in seeing how a second potato DD will go tomorrow, and how that will affect my JUDDD rotations.

Last edited by mom23kids; 11-28-2012 at 04:31 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #149
Big Yapper!!!!

I did a potato DD yesterday although I had already had coffee with HWC and one half serving of oat bran for breakfast. I am in maintenance and my goal weight is 144 which is my lowest bounce on the scale. In other words I bounce up but then back down to 144. I would like to have 144 be my high bounce.
This morning I weighed 142.6 after my one day potato DD with higher calories than normal for me on a DD. Lowest weight since before DS was born 23 years ago and within 10 pounds of my before DS weight.
Thanks ouizoid for this thread.
So I am going for a potato UD. Had hash browns for breakfast. I shredded them with my grater and did my thumb in. Ouch. Shared with DH but did not tell him what I was doing. I am now stuffed. I can see why people eat fried potatoes with their eggs. Would fill me up for days or at least many hours.
Have my giant potato to take for lunch with salsa and malt vinegar. Would LOVE to drop a few more pounds before the Christmas food fest coming up.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
To answer an earlier question regarding Vinegar, according to "The 4 hour body" malt Vinegar contols blood sugar if i remember correctly, which would obviously be an advantage if only eating carbs :-) the book is worth a read, some utter rubbish in it, but also some interesting stuff too.
Closed Thread