Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #1441
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Just in case anyone cares, I went to the Slap Ya Mama site and they have a "slap ya" pack which contains "Everything you need in the kitchen except the chef!" for $29.95.
Really good deal, because this will last me all year. Well, maybe, except for the sauce. I will be needing several bottle of the sauce.

Contains:
8oz Canister of Original Blend
8oz Canister of White Pepper Blend
8oz Canister of Hot Blend
5floz Bottle of Cajun Pepper Sauce
1lbs Bag of Seafood Boil
12oz Box of Fish Fry
16oz Jar of Etouffee Sauce

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #1442
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bitsky
WOE: HCG VLCD
Start Date: May 26
joining
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #1443
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I thought it was bad when my eldest son worked at Little Caesar's. He would bring pizza home. Not good when you are low carbing. Now he works 2 jobs---still the pizza place til his 2 weeks is completed and the movies. The bag of popcorn he brought home last night is large enough for the neighborhood and then some! I not only have a DH, but we have 4 children and they love to eat. And eat they do---all the time. So the smells, the food I have to look at. Well, let's just say that any diet is hard to stick to around here. The reason I have to be on a diet ALL THE TIME But I am doing this til Friday. I have started and will trudge on.
Go, Dawn, GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I am going to watch for the seasonings as well. I know the sauce says 0 cals, 0 carbs, but it has to have something. It goes well with any seafood or meat (shrimp, tilapia, chicken)

Here are the ingredients...

Aged Pepper Mash, Vinegar, Salt, Xanthan Gum, Garlic, Other Spices (Salt, Black Pepper, Red Pepper, Garlic)
NO MSG, All Natural, Kosher
I love a seasoning with no sugar! I've been blending my own salts as I find cajun, seasoned, and garlic all have sugar. I may have to try these as I love me some spicy! Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #1444
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok, I have extra baked potatoes in the fridge. Last time I tried this with hot potatoes, I had a bad sugar spike/drop reaction, but the potatoes were hot.
I'm hoping cooked and cooled will create the resistant starch and I won't feel so icky.

My plan is the usual for a dd- fast with tea and vitamins all day, eat about 500 cals for dinner

I've heard it said you can have more calories on the hack?

Also- can I have sf jello for dessert? Is that allowed?

s.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #1445
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/118-125
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
My plan is the usual for a dd- fast with tea and vitamins all day, eat about 500 cals for dinner

I've heard it said you can have more calories on the hack?

Also- can I have sf jello for dessert? Is that allowed?
Eat to satiety on your potato DD rather than counting calories. Unless you want to, is there any reason that you're waiting until dinner to eat?

I'm assuming that SF jello has calories of some sort, in which case, you don't want to eat it within a 5 or 6 hour window of having eaten, or be going to eat, your potatoes. So, no - not if you actually mean as a dessert rather than something you eat several hours later (like bedtime, having eaten several hours earlier).

There isn't an agreed mechanism of action for why the potato hack works, so I think we tend to cover the bases by making sure there's a substantial enough gap between potatoes and other items that there's little chance of interfering with the glycaemic index/load of the potato by mixing it with anything else in the same eating window. (Hence the advice to stick to condiments in small amounts; FF dressings, broths etc.) So, if the increase in blood glucose and insulin, is the mechanism for releasing your free fatty acids, and therefore mobilising body fat, there's nothing to interfere with this rise.

The other suggestion for why it works is a fairly interesting one involving resistant starch in the large intenstine and some of the by-products produced from it by the microbiome there. That also involves short chain fatty acids and some rather nice biochemistry - so, although the 'eat the unadulterated potato' might not be necessary in this scenario, I think that nobody knows enough about it to have a view that they can wholeheartedly put forward. It would have to be one of those, "Try it for several days and see what happens" bits of advice that is useless when someone is asking about how to run a one-day hack.

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-09-2013 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: explanation
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #1446
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gillygum
Stats: 5'6 - 150+/132.2/120
WOE: experimenting
Tried my first potato hack day yesterday. I ate 6 baked potatoes, sometimes with a little salt, but still went to bed a little hungry. I was excited thinking after the first day I'd be down a pound or two. But was only down 0.3 lbs. whenever I do an egg or yogurt fast I'm always down 2-3lbs. But I'll prob still give this a few more chances!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #1447
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygum View Post
Tried my first potato hack day yesterday. I ate 6 baked potatoes, sometimes with a little salt, but still went to bed a little hungry. I was excited thinking after the first day I'd be down a pound or two. But was only down 0.3 lbs. whenever I do an egg or yogurt fast I'm always down 2-3lbs. But I'll prob still give this a few more chances!
This may or may not be relevant. If you're used to eating comparatively low carb, then eating potatoes will increase your water weight initially as this happens with carbs in the same way that eating protein dehydrates you, aside from the glycogen issue.

You've also, possibly, taken in more potassium than usual, and this has an impact on your water levels.

I also don't know the weight of potato that you ate and whether its residue is mostly still with you. (TMI but possibly true.)
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #1448
Senior LCF Member

Haha no I wasn't doing low carb, I eat mostly vegetarian (with the exception of fish sometimes) but I think the last part of your post was very accurate! I feel like a bag of potatoes is no longer in my gut. TMI ik! I'm always exploring Eastern medicine- there's so much I've read about how happiness lies in your digestion. I completely think its true!!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #1449
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/118.4/118 5'3.75"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I am down 4 lbs in 4 potato days!!! WooHoo!! I am in it til tomorrow. Hoping for another great drop tomorrow. I want to finish strong!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #1450
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Dawn, what does your typical potato day look like? Is it work-friendly? Do you have any other foods/drinks at all? Coffee w/cream? I've been losing and gaining the same 2-3 lbs for two months now, and as much as I don't want to do the PH, I've got to do something!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #1451
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am down 4 lbs in 4 potato days!!! WooHoo!! I am in it til tomorrow. Hoping for another great drop tomorrow. I want to finish strong!!!
It is magical I tell you! Now that wasn't too painful, was it?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #1452
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cindy, I think cold taters are one easy lunch myself. Just steam your yukon golds and take it in a ziploc bag. Bring hot sauce/fav spice and you are good.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #1453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
...Is it work-friendly? Do you have any other foods/drinks at all? Coffee w/cream? I've been losing and gaining the same 2-3 lbs for two months now, and as much as I don't want to do the PH, I've got to do something!
Adi drinks coffee with HWC with her breakfast on potato DDs - she then leaves a 5-6hr gap until she starts eating her potatoes, pretty much as Sunday outlines below.

Quote:
Cindy, I think cold taters are one easy lunch myself. Just steam your yukon golds and take it in a ziploc bag. Bring hot sauce/fav spice and you are good.
In theory, you wouldn't drink coffee with cream closer than 5-6hrs before or after eating potatoes (as discussed in earlier post: A DD Hack). The fat might alter the glycaemic index/load of the potato and it would probably alter the amount of time it takes to digest.

DH did a potato hack over the recent Bank Holiday weekend in the UK: he's now doing the Adi Hack (potato DDs with a decent breakfast and then only potato with condiments or a dressing made from FF cottage cheese). I'm simultaneously pleased to announce, yet resentful, that he's evicted 8lbs since Saturday. He's been taking cold potatoes into work and either eating them cold or microwaving them on the day when it was raining heavily.

When I did my 28 days, I ate both potatoes and rice (because my digestive system couldn't cope with potato alone). (And I did the 28 days because I'd plateaued at 150lbs for 5 weeks and was heading into my 6th weekend with a 2lb drop that I was about to regain.)

Last edited by SlowSure; 05-09-2013 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: link
Old 05-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #1454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SlowSure, You could be a commercial representative of the tater/rice hack. I am 100% positive that I could not have stayed with it that many days!

Excellent dedication!

Good luck Soren! I agree w/ cold taters only! Hope this works better this time.

Last edited by sunday; 05-09-2013 at 06:22 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #1455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Dawn, what does your typical potato day look like? Is it work-friendly? Do you have any other foods/drinks at all? Coffee w/cream? I've been losing and gaining the same 2-3 lbs for two months now, and as much as I don't want to do the PH, I've got to do something!
I only work 2 days a week. So I don't have to worry about eating potatoes at work. But this is how I have done my days this week: I get up and have my coffee with cream (2 cups) so that I am done with that by 9AM. That holds me for 4 hours (the suggested time to separate the potatoes and fat) til I have my first meal of potatoes. I have done the potatoes for lunch and dinner. I don't measure or count calories. I just eat a lot of potatoes. But the other day I have baked an entire 3 lbs bag of potatoes and most was gone by the end of the day. So nearly 3 lbs of potatoes in a day for me. I also have had them warmed (the first few days I have had them ALL warmed) and yesterday I ate them ALL cold. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but it seems that some thinks it does. The only seasoning I have used is salt OR I have used a mixture of sugar free low carb ketchup and soy sauce. When I use the ketchup/soy sauce mix I don't have the salt. I was pre-diabetic a few years ago and I have not had any issues with blood sugar or feeling spacy at all this week. I have been feeling super tired though. Tired enough that I have had to rest in the afternoons. That has not happened to me in a while. Don't know if it is the potatoes, or something else is going on with me as that is "my way". My "normal" is that I am tired all the time. But this has been more than my usual tiredness.

There was a segment on Good Morning America this morning about a diet called "Boredom Diet" and it talks about eating the same things day after day. Hmmm...coincidence??!!! Maybe not!! But how timely!!! They say it works because if you eat the same things day in and day out you DO get bored and don't want them as much. Hence you eat less and lose weight.

I will say that this is super easy!!! Just cook the potatoes the night before and you don't have to think about what to eat throughout the day. I love easy peasy Just wished I loved potatoes as much as I love chocolate and then it would be a done deal for me to do this for a few weeks on end As it is I am looking forward to my meal out on Saturday afternoon. My favorite way to prepare the potatoes are in the recipe sticky where Yennie slices the potatoes and cooks them in chicken broth. Mighty tasty! I think you should try it. Couldn't hurt. And what I remembered was that sometimes it takes a few days for the results to show up on the scale so don't be disappointed if you don't drop the first day.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #1456

Quote:
It is magical I tell you! Now that wasn't too painful, was it?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #1457
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I had a cold boiled potato for lunch with lemon pepper and just now realised while I was reading this that today is an UD for me. And now I am full and not hungry. Gotta love cold boiled potatoes.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1458
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi All!

so, confirming-- you don't have to count the calories, just eat to satiety. But if you did count calories you'd count them at 22cal/oz ? My counter has a bunch of different values, and me and LCG decided we'd use this one, so just wanted to check in here.

Also, Adi, you usually just do this on DDs, is my understanding. So while some people do multiple days in a row, you've had success just doing potatoes on just DDs, right?

I just had 5oz, plain, waiting to see if I pass out or explode or something

S

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #1459
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Bummer Adi! I'm so glad you reminded me about the lemon pepper. I have a whole container of it that I never use, but it sounds delicious on potatoes! I'm gonna do it!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #1460
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Hi All!

so, confirming-- you don't have to count the calories, just eat to satiety. But if you did count calories you'd count them at 22cal/oz ? My counter has a bunch of different values, and me and LCG decided we'd use this one, so just wanted to check in here.

Also, Adi, you usually just do this on DDs, is my understanding. So while some people do multiple days in a row, you've had success just doing potatoes on just DDs, right?

I just had 5oz, plain, waiting to see if I pass out or explode or something

S
Yes, I normally only do potato DD's and it is helping me maintain on 600 calorie or more DD's, which are nice. I usually also have a baked potato with LF cottage cheese and Salsa for lunch or dinner on my UD's. I have been rounding up to 30 calories per ounce for potatoes since it was easier to figure in my head although my calorie counter said 27 calories per ounce. I usually eat Yukon golds as cold boiled potatoes with salt. Nothing else on the potatoes. Since I am right at my third goal weight I haven't really felt like doing a multi day potato hack. But I am inching down ever so slowly and then I bounce up after an indulgence day but then I go back down so not a problem. Love not feeling hungry on DD's by eating potatoes.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #1461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
just popping in to say how much pleasure it gives me to see people have such success with the potato hack!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #1462
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Soren, I think Ouiz said 1cal/gram of potatoes. That's what I use. Although I don't count cals on potatoes for anything other than academic curiosity.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1463
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/132/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Dukan now JUDDD
Start Date: August 27, 2012
I am obviously very happy for all the successes on the PH but must admit envious! It did not work for me to say the least. I just had a thought though, the only thing I had outside of cold potatoes, malt vinegar and salt is sugar free gum.

Does anyone think that chewing sugar free gum during the hack (eight days for me) could have interfered and cause a gain?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #1464
Blabbermouth!!!

Thought I'd chime in here again. Raging success on Weds-Sun potato days plus Monday until dinner. 8 pounds in 5 days plus a bonus pound first day with a normal dinner so 9 pounds in 6 days. Since then I have been having BP coffee for breakfast (7:30-8am), taters for lunch with malt vinegar and S&P (12:30pm), and a regular paloe'ish dinner of meat/fish/fowl, veggie with butter/olive oil, small portion of starch (1/3c rice, 2 small boiled taters, etc), sometimes a fruit, and a paleo brownie. I've also just been bouncing up and down the same 0.5 pound, usually depending on my visit (or lack thereof) from Bernice prior to weighing. Excited to be maintaining like this. I will probably go "off plan" this weekend and eat normally for lunch and dinner then jump back into the hack next week. I think I will pick up some potato starch when I shop and see if and how to incorporate it. The green plaintains are, erm, DEFINITELY having an...impact?...more so than potatoes on my digestive track. They have way more RS than potatoes, even cooled ones, so it makes sense that they might have an effect. It's kind of funny but that starch is really digestion-resistant, iykwim! My poor bf!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 7 - 02/16/14, 33 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~175->???
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
It's kind of funny but that starch is really digestion-resistant, iykwim! My poor bf!
Did you bloat too?
I am experiencing the side effects on day 4 of supp'ing w/ RS. Talk about satiation. I won't be eating dinner tonight.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1466

For some reason my stomach is hurting. It happened right after I had taters for my afternoon snack. I had a bowl of taters and then a cup of coffee with fat free cream. I wonder why I hurt today and didn't all this week? Is that the potato finally kicking in???!! After all this time?? LOL. And yes, I have been so gassy this week.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #1467
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Did you bloat too?
I am experiencing the side effects on day 4 of supp'ing w/ RS. Talk about satiation. I won't be eating dinner tonight.
Quote:
For some reason my stomach is hurting. It happened right after I had taters for my afternoon snack. I had a bowl of taters and then a cup of coffee with fat free cream. I wonder why I hurt today and didn't all this week? Is that the potato finally kicking in???!! After all this time?? LOL. And yes, I have been so gassy this week.
A little bit of bloat but mostly from the gas, which I understand is the result of the potatoes doing what they are supposed to be doing and feeding our good gut bugs. Just call me "Windy," I guess!

Dawn, I've never had pain. Is it from gas, or fullness or something else? Hope it goes away! I suppose it's possible that the potatoes might not kick in for 5 days...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
A little bit of bloat but mostly from the gas, which I understand is the result of the potatoes doing what they are supposed to be doing and feeding our good gut bugs. Just call me "Windy," I guess!

Dawn, I've never had pain. Is it from gas, or fullness or something else? Hope it goes away! I suppose it's possible that the potatoes might not kick in for 5 days...
It could be the ptero I took at the same time. But I never had that pain before. It is a mystery. Thank goodness it is gone. And I cannot believe how much gas I have with this potato diet. I guess it is all good, eh?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #1469
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
It could be the ptero I took at the same time. But I never had that pain before. It is a mystery. Thank goodness it is gone. And I cannot believe how much gas I have with this potato diet. I guess it is all good, eh?
After a few weeks of potato DD's, the gas issue resolved itself so there is hope.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #1470
Senior LCF Member

Shelby 8lbs in 5 days?! Congrats thats incredible!! Was this 5 days of all potatoes or ud/ph?
Closed Thread