Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #1351
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Jen, I am so wishing this for you! I would love to see RS be the answer, but since we all have different internal mechanisms going on, it is not a clear cut method.

Ouiz, I feel the same. Never thought I would find veggies more satisfying than meat.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #1352
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I get that metallic taste in my mouth, my appetite goes away and I'm a bit headachy.
I second this as it's been very common for me.

caveats: it's not unusual for me to have an odd taste in my mouth since my last concussion as it seems to have completely messed up my palate (possibly one of the reasons that I tolerate the blandness of potato and rice quite well). I've never assessed myself for ketosis but would think it's attributable to low calories in my case as I typically find it difficult to eat more than 600kcals of potato or rice in a day without a determined effort.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-01-2013 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #1353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Otzi
OK, update. Last week (M-F) was predominately potatoes, FBG dropped from a normal 110 to 85 or so. On Saturday I ate normally and yesterday I ate a bit more than usual, but no sugar, oil, or flour--lots of ham, beans, potatoes, green bean casserole, and fruit.

This morning my FBG was 95. I am going to track my FBG thru this week and do another potato week next week. Then, I think I am going to start a JUDDD program for a few months (maybe all through summer) with 2 days of just potatoes, probably Wednesdays and Thursdays as that fits my schedule.

For anyone with FBG issues, I'd recommend trying a week of potatoes and checking BG throughout the day. It's very interesting indeed. My goal now is to find a way of eating that keeps my FBG at least in the 90's. Switching from LC paleo to Perfect Health Diet didn't do it--in fact my FBG stayed exactly the same when the only change was adding in a ton of potatoes. I had really thought it would drop. Maybe it primed me with insulin sensitivity, though.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #1354
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Dr Oz has on "resistant starches" today. The gastroenterologist is saying that including resistant starches in your diet can prevent cancer!!!! Wow!! Dr Oz said that this is very cutting edge studies. He also mentioned diabetes and blood sugar spikes. Talking about the temp of rice--could it make a difference? Wow!! Talk about dejavu LOL..Has anyone watched this today?

Dr Oz has 4 rules of carbs to prevent cancer. I will post after the commercial!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #1355
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Dr Oz has on "resistant starches" today. The gastroenterologist is saying that including resistant starches in your diet can prevent cancer!!!! Wow!! Dr Oz said that this is very cutting edge studies. He also mentioned diabetes and blood sugar spikes. Talking about the temp of rice--could it make a difference? Wow!! Talk about dejavu LOL..Has anyone watched this today?

Dr Oz has 4 rules of carbs to prevent cancer. I will post after the commercial!!!
Thanks for letting me know! The great thing is, if you don't like potatoes, there are other forms of RS. I am so glad that I tried the tater hack and enjoy them almost daily. It is definitely a good for prevention of colon cancer.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #1356

Here are those rules for the resistant carbs (pre-biotic) in your diet:

1. Eat your pasta undercooked. Cook 3-4 mins less than directions tell you to cook it for.
2. Cook, then cool technique. Hmmm......sounds familiar. Eating chilled makes it more resistant. Heat up, then cool down.
3. Buy the B's. beans, barley, bread.
4. Eat green bananas. The gastro they had on said use them as you would mashed potatoes. She loves salt and butter on them. You can have 2-3 servings a week.

I am a bit disappointed they didn't mention anything about potatoes. But maybe this will put it more out there. Now there will be no green bananas in the supermarket LOL.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #1357
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
4. Eat green bananas. The gastro they had on said use them as you would mashed potatoes. She loves salt and butter on them. You can have 2-3 servings a week.
Hm, thanks for summarising this. Did the dietitian mention if she ate the 'mashed green banana' hot or cold, please?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #1358

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Hm, thanks for summarising this. Did the dietitian mention if she ate the 'mashed green banana' hot or cold, please?
She is a gastroenterologist (an M.D.). She ate them as you would mashed potatoes. So I am thinking hot. I don't recall though The show was today, so I am sure the video on his site should be up by no later than tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #1359
Junior LCF Member

The green bananas would have to be eaten cold. Heating above 150 degrees or so completely destroys RS.

If you are serious about adding it to your diet, there are 2 ways I know of to get large amounts easily. The easiest is to buy some unmodified potato starch, such as Bob's Redmill Potato Starch. It has to be unmodified! To use it, add 2-3 TBS to a cold drink like a smoothie or mix with milk or whatever. It contains about 8g RS per tablespoon.

A more pleasant, in my opinion, but more troublesome method is to buy green plantains, slice thin, and dry them. Sprinkle with salt, cinnamon or pepper while still wet. they taste just like saltine or graham crackers when completely dry. To dry them, put on a very lightly oiled cookie sheet, put in oven heated to around 120 degrees (not too hot!) or just air dry for a couple days--or a dehydrator--they are done when they break easily.

The dried plantains are almost pure RS by weight. 1 plantain produces about 100g worth of RS chips. Recommended intake is 20-30g/day. Most Americans get 3-5g/day.

Potatoes are a poor source unless eaten raw. raw, they are as high in RS as a green plantain, but nobody can eat raw potatoes in any quantity. Cooked, a potato contains about 2g RS, cooked and cooled potatoes contain 3-8g RS.

Green bananas by comparison contain about 15g RS per small banana--and green bananas are not very tasty. The better they taste, the less RS. A fully ripe banana has 0 RS.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #1360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otzi View Post
The green bananas would have to be eaten cold. Heating above 150 degrees or so completely destroys RS.
A more pleasant, in my opinion, but more troublesome method is to buy green plantains, slice thin, and dry them...

The dried plantains are almost pure RS by weight. 1 plantain produces about 100g worth of RS chips. Recommended intake is 20-30g/day.
Green bananas by comparison contain about 15g RS per small banana--and green bananas are not very tasty. The better they taste, the less RS. A fully ripe banana has 0 RS.
Thank you, that's why I asked about the green bananas because I thought the RS would be hugely reduced by serving them hot or re-warming them.

We can't readily purchase Bob's Red Mill products in the UK but I can probably obtain plantains from somewhere and dry them to try this out. I might even blend them into a dehydrator cracker mix (typically a mix of linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds) and see if that turns out reasonably well.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #1361
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/155/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Hello all! I have been reading this thread bit by bit for the last few months and I am intrigued and have thought many times to try it, but haven't. I plan to read back over all the info but could those of you who have had success answer a question. What exactly do you do when not eating potatoes to maintain your losses? Do you do a 2 week potato diet then go to LC or another plan or eat whatever you want? Are some of you JUDDDing and only doing potatoes on DD? I think I read somewhere that Keytone does potatoes only during the week then off on weekends...what do you eat on weekends? Sorry if I am overthinking this, but I would like to try the potatoes, just not sure what to do to maintain any losses. Thanks for your help!
Luke 1:37-For nothing is impossible with God.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #1362
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In my 3 trials, I simply eased into my regular eating (paleo lc) and I never had issues. I think if you were to eat whole foods, abstaining from processed food, you should be just fine. I would also be careful about how much fat if you are tater fasting for more than 2 days.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #1363
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
Quote:

I am a bit disappointed they didn't mention anything about potatoes. But maybe this will put it more out there. Now there will be no green bananas in the supermarket LOL.
My only reservation about this particular suggestion would be the butter but it depends on WHY you're interested in trying the RS or hacking. Thankfully I do not have BG issues so my primary aim is mobilizing fat to utilize insulin. Butter would surely sabotage that goal.
I don't know if adding butter would reduce the "insulin sensitivity" mechanism but I feel like it would.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #1364
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yenni, I think they were just talking about taking RS as a supplement and not hacking. I do agree with you on the adding fat for stoking weight loss, it doesn't work in the tater fast.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1365
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I only do potato DD's. But I am interested in maintaining with a higher calorie count on DD's. Plain cold boiled potatoes with salt. Yukon golds
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1366
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Thank you, that's why I asked about the green bananas because I thought the RS would be hugely reduced by serving them hot or re-warming them.

We can't readily purchase Bob's Red Mill products in the UK but I can probably obtain plantains from somewhere and dry them to try this out. I might even blend them into a dehydrator cracker mix (typically a mix of linseeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds) and see if that turns out reasonably well.
You could actually use potatoes (I know they have them in the UK!). Dried, raw potato has almost as much as the plantains, but they aren't crunchy when dried, but hard and leathery. You could dry them, grind them, and add to your crackers.

Plantains are probably easier, but give both a try and let us know. The few times I tried to dry potatoes, they turned kind of gray and got really hard. If done in a dehydrator, it may work better.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #1367
Big Yapper!!!!

I tried drying raw potato chips in my dehydrator but was not pleased with the results. Now cooked in the microwave until crunchy is another story but that defeats the purpose.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #1368
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I tried drying raw potato chips in my dehydrator but was not pleased with the results. Now cooked in the microwave until crunchy is another story but that defeats the purpose.
That's kind of what I thought...see if you can get plantains. Buy the biggest, greenest ones you can find.

Cut the tips off each end. Cut them in half cross-wise and lengthwise, then you can roll the meat out of the skin--otherwise they are impossible to peel!

Then take each quarter-piece and slice them long-ways two times.

If you did it right, you will have 8 pieces that look like a tongue.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet with whatever (olive oil, butter coconut oil) and lay them out. Now is the time to add spices, too! If you wait, they dry quickly and spices won't stick. I use salt, cinnamon, and chili powder at times.

You can either air dry for 2-4 days or heat oven to about 120-140, insert trays, turn oven off and let them dry in there over night. You just want to be real careful not to cook them or let them get too hot. They are ready to eat when completely dry and break easily. If you eat one too early, you won't do it twice!

I have never used a dehydrator, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

When done, if you can weigh them, they are about 90% RS by weight. I think I normally get about 100g total weight from a big plantain. If you sliced it into 8 slices, each one should provide about 10g of RS.

Consider the average US and Euro person gets 3-5g/day, and you can see how easy it is to get some RS this way. I usually eat 2 pieces in the morning for a breakfast snack and a couple pieces after dinner for something crunchy and salty.

They are excellent when spread with almond or nut butters, butter, pate, avacado, cheese slices.

You'll have to experiment with the thickness of the slices, but I like them on the thick side.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1369
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
In my 3 trials, I simply eased into my regular eating (paleo lc) and I never had issues. ... I would also be careful about how much fat if you are tater fasting for more than 2 days.
I've only done the potato hack once albeit it was for 28 days. I second the recommendation to be careful about reintroducing fat after so many days without it.

I moved from the PH into transitioning to a leptin reset (Kruse version). The leptin reset proper would involve eating more fat than I can tolerate at present which is why I'm spending approx. 3 weeks to work my way into it. I'm also unaccustomed to eating high protein and I've never eaten such a large breakfast before (you eat 50-75g of protein at breakfast) so it's taking a while to adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
My only reservation about this particular suggestion would be the butter but it depends on WHY you're interested in trying the RS or hacking. Thankfully I do not have BG issues so my primary aim is mobilizing fat to utilize insulin. Butter would surely sabotage that goal.
Agreed that it must vary with motivation and it seems to me that eating the mashed banana hot would destroy the resistant starch and the butter would reduce the blood sugar impact and sabotage the free fatty acid mobilisation.

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-09-2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #1370
Junior LCF Member

A funny thing about the RS in potatoes. It is preserved if the raw potato is thin-sliced and flash-fried in hot oil. I think it more dries than cooks it.

Commercial potato chips (crisps) are actually a good source of RS and one of the main contributors of RS in the US diet.

Unfortunately, the chips/crisps are cooked in horrendous oils that have a host of problems on their own, and the cooked chips take in a lot of this oil.

I have seen studies that indicate potatoes cooked at high temps without water, ie. roasted, contain more RS than cooked and cooled potatoes.

So, if you are a big potato eater, eat a few slices of every potato you cut raw, and prepare your potatoes in a variety of ways, roasted, boiled, cooked and cooled, shredded and fried in good oil...

This should guarantee you the maximum RS from the potatoes you eat.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #1371
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Wow, this thread has gotten really scientific since I last checked in-i don't have a clue how the potato hack works, I just know it does amazing things . I've done potato days while losing weight and I've dropped pounds. Now I'm in maintenance but I'm going to do a potato day tomorrow and possibly Thursday, to give myself a mental 'reset'. I've been eating way to much sugar lately and that's led to craving it more. I've discovered that potato only days really helps eliminate my sugar cravings!

I still can't wrap my mind around cold potatoes So I'll eat them hot, without skins and with a bit of A-1 sauce and ketchup.

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-09-2013 at 06:03 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #1372
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post

I still can't wrap my mind around cold potatoes So I'll eat them hot, without skins and with a bit of A-1 sauce and ketchup.
Cold boiled Yukon Golds with a little salt are delicious. Skin and all.

Does this mean that drying out the thin slices and cooking in the microwave to make potato chips doesn't destroy the RS aspect of the potato?

Last edited by adillenal; 04-09-2013 at 07:14 PM..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1373
Major LCF Poster!

I still can't do cold potatoes either. I tried, honest I did, reds and the golds. But I can't do it.
I guess its a good thing I'm more after the fatty acid mobilization than the RS!!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #1374
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
Cold boiled Yukon Golds with a little salt are delicious. Skin and all.

Does this mean that drying out the thin slices and cooking in the microwave to make potato chips doesn't destroy the RS aspect of the potato?
I can't say for certain, but I think microwave chips probably have a fair amount of RS. Nobody has ever tested it as far as I know.

I bought a microwave potato chip maker on Amazon, it came with a mandolin, and works really well, although it's a lot of work for 20 potato chips!

I would say by scale, that microwave potato chips have more RS than cooked or cooked&cooled.

Here is something I have been toying with:

In the diabetic world, they talk a lot about "Second Meal Effect". Supposedly a low GI carb in the first meal of the day will attenuate glucose/insulin in the second meal.

Well, I have tracked my BG painstakingly for days on an all-potato diet, and I see consistent lowering of BG post-prandially and FBG day to day.

I think continual meals of high GI potatoes causes a definite second meal effect which keeps getting stronger as days go by.

For instance, on a recent week of all potato, my FBGs were: 115, 99, 95, 89, 85, 85, 84.

Also during that week, 1 hour post-prandial readings were: 215, 189, 135, 141, 140, 139, 140.

I would love for someone else to eat all-potato for 5-7 days and track FBG and 1hr PP's.

Read more on Second Meal Effect:

"Consumption of low glycemic-index (LGI) foods has been shown to attenuate blood glucose response during the postprandial
period immediately following a meal. In addition, positive metabolic effects can persist well beyond this period. One of these extended effects, known as the “second-meal effect,” is the positive effect of the bioavailability of glucose on the glucose tolerance of the subsequent meal.

This second-meal effect, initially observed in normal-weight, healthy adult subjects using glucose and guar, has also been documented in
patients with type 2 diabetes."
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #1375
Big Yapper!!!!

Well, I don't have equipment to track since I don't have any issues but was wondering about the microwave potato chips since I quit making them and just eat the cold boiled on potato DD's since I thought the cold boiled were better for the RS effect.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #1376
Major LCF Poster!

I could do it, and I am willing. But it will have to be the week starting the 22nd. I will be working every day that week, so if I take the glucometer home and back again we will not be without it at work.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1377
Established

Wrapping up my potato day, have a couple yellows boiling right now-will end up with 8 of them for the day, but some of them were really small. Nothing else today besides ketchup, A-1 sauce, a cup of diet hot cocoa (fat free), water, diet soda and then I did use non-stick spray. Planning on doing a second potato day tomorrow

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-10-2013 at 03:39 PM..
Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #1378
Established

Quick question- wrapping up my 3rd and last potato day and dh wants to eat at wendys. i already had my allotment of potatoes for the day, but am feeling a bit hungry so I'd like to get something. First thought was to quit potato hack early and get a cheeseburger lol. However, wendys chive and sour cream potato only has 3.5 grams of fat. I haven't had any fat.in the last three days, so would this small amount mess the hack up? Weight loss isn't why I did the hack, but I do want to avoid a large bounce on the scale tomorrow.
Fyi: their garden salad had like 15 grams of fat!!

Thoughts?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #1379

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Quick question- wrapping up my 3rd and last potato day and dh wants to eat at wendys. i already had my allotment of potatoes for the day, but am feeling a bit hungry so I'd like to get something. First thought was to quit potato hack early and get a cheeseburger lol. However, wendys chive and sour cream potato only has 3.5 grams of fat. I haven't had any fat.in the last three days, so would this small amount mess the hack up? Weight loss isn't why I did the hack, but I do want to avoid a large bounce on the scale tomorrow.
Fyi: their garden salad had like 15 grams of fat!!

Thoughts?
I'm not hacking, but you can get the potato plain at Wendy's if you want to avoid the sour cream. Not sure if you want to do that . . .
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #1380
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm not hacking, but you can get the potato plain at Wendy's if you want to avoid the sour cream. Not sure if you want to do that . . .
Ended up just getting a diet coke
Closed Thread