Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #1231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
My numbers don't work because I can't stick to them
I love this response!

I hope the tater hack is good to you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #1232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pibble, I can't wait to see you have a big drop!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #1233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Good morning ya'll!!! I did drop a lb from yesterday (still up a lb from where i started the hack!) and while my food choices were good yesterday (coffee, greek yogurt and rice paper sushi rolls and ONE yummy crab/avo roll my "other" choices were hideous! lol slice of loaf cake from starbucks, two sugar cookies and 4 hershey ad a latte and TWO cake pops from starbucks! lol BUT i didn't eat in the middle of the night out of stress lol THAT is an accomplishment i guess!

I can't decide if i want to do two more days of the hack....i have the spuds cooked and am having my coffee w one tbs of hwc right now. Not hungry...i would have normal food, but it is a dd so i may as well finish off two more days of my spuds. lol I need tuesday to be a moderate ud since I am out of town and w friends for training. How does one do non normal days on juddd? I'm confused by the moderate day thing (and i admit i have not read the book...just a ton of posts on here!)

I talked a great deal with my HS sweetie last night (till 1:30 lol...we had to cut it short..we are not as young as we once were! lol) and we both want to take the time just to get to know each other. I think the fact that we are five states away is a GOOD thing!!! We can't throw the "lust" stuff from a new relationship in the mix, so it can't get in there and mess things up so we have to get to know each other lol....I can't lie...he has always had a special place in my heart (as any first true love would) and has always made my heart skip a beat! and still does! But i'm glad we cleared the air and are becoming friends again first! It just stinks that I literally start my new dream job (pivotal career move!) Tuesday and I'm not about to quit it! That would just be stupid and he has kids back home from a former marriage, i would NEVER allow him nor ask him to move far away. That would be fair to no one! So....for right now, i am happy just getting to reconnect with him via our late night phone calls! and silly music videos! lol

I hope ya'll have a great day!!
Peace, love and hash browns! rofl!!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pibble, I think you were due for a big drop and of course, had to stop. So, if it was me, I might think about doing the today and tomo tater and then go back to strict rotations. Have fun with the new romance! I love to hear about highschool flames that are reunited.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #1235
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
Have been reading this whole thread and am currently up to post 733 and figured I would check in now.

A member here made mention of *** and the 'Moar taters' thread which I have read from start to finish, and I actually prefer this thread much better. Clearly this hack does not work from everyone, but it is nice to see not every 10 posts chiming in saying this isnt healthy or its stupid or a fad.

Fact is it seems like noone really knows for 100% certain what is going on behind the scenes, but there is a lot of good theories, and a lot of good anecdotal evidence that it does work, and work well, at least for some people.

I am on day 4 and so far the results are nothing short of incredible.

I do have some questions, but the answers likely arent even out there to be had, and Im going to pop back in when I finish this thread in its entirety. Today is the first time I have measured my blood sugars as well so I have to check again in 12 minutes for my first half hour mark, then again at the one hour mark and probably by then I will be back to post my results.

Nice to meet you all!
Old 02-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #1236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
Ok, didn't check in yesterday because I was super busy having fun on the beach and totally not having a potato day . My days food was
5 x ciders
6 chicken wings
huge mexican salad

So heaps of fat, a bit of carbs, and plenty of good times. Its summer so....
Anyways, after 2 days on the hack I weighed myself
Before hack weight - 65.1 (after a big meal valentines day)
after 1 day - 64.4
after 2 day 63.0
I was crazy stunned to say the least. I ate HEAPS of potatoes (as I stated twice in my post that day). I moved the scale around, still 63. So I was happy
I had my day in the sun yesterday with regular food and beer, so today am trying for a potato DD. Then 1 more UD tomorrow then a break.
Todays weigh in 64.1. Pretty happy with that after what was almost an UD.

Pibble - Sometimes it doesn't make sense why some things work for some and not others. I gave low carb a go last year for 5 months and gained, that was a low point in my life and I was miserable. See how you feel off it and then maybe try it again (or not). Maybe calorie counting is better for you at this time with things going on, so you can treat your body to its cravings
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #1237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Some are so arrogant. Most of the men have this attitude about paleo and only one way works.

So thrilled for you Sicchi!!!

That is why you should go to PHD and read his Q&A. I can't get enough.

Also, if you have time to read Ray Cronise at hypothermics.com. He has helped so many people have success with rice & taters.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #1238
Junior LCF Member

Here was my sugars
Fasting: 92
1/2 Hour mark: 130
1 Hour mark: 156
1 1/2 Hour mark: 119
2 Hour mark: 101

Do these seem good? or reasonable at least?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #1239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

X,
How many days have you been hacking? I think this sounds very good, but someone who tests bg will know better. It sounds like you are not diabetic? I am right?
Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #1240
Junior LCF Member

I am on day 4, and I am pre-diabetic, according to my doctor (though I am not on any medication).
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #1241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Xexist,

I think you may be able to get your BG normalized as KeyTones did, but you ought to take these numbers and post on her thread. I think she said hers took about 7 days, but not for certain. I don't know how anyone is able to do this past 5 days? You are doing great!

Potato Hack on Paleo Blogs - Anyone Doing This?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #1242
Junior LCF Member

So here is some questions / thoughts I was having.

If I understand correctly what people think is happening, when you eat the potatos it causes a large spike in blood sugar (especially when eaten hot), the lack of fat in the diet causes the body to take from fat stores.

So assuming the above to be correct. Is it not better to eat potatos hot, assuming you can handle it (greater blood sugar spike = greater insulin response = greater fat loss)? Or is that misguided thinking?

Also, does that not mean that eating more often will cause greater fat loss than eating less often? Maybe eating every 4 or 5 hours will cause the blood spike/insulin response/fat loss to occur more frequently, leading to greater results?

Any thoughts on this?

I have seen people state adding extra protein and fat to the diet is bad, can someone explain why on the protein? I can understand the fat needing to be cut, as its kinda the point, but how is extra protein sabotaging the diet (like in the case of no fat/low fat sour cream, or yogurt)

Thanks for any responses.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #1243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Xexist, I thought the exact same thing, but hopefully Ouiz or someone who has more experience with this will know more. I suspect the reason they say very minimal protein, is to keep the tater your primary source of fuel and then fat stores will be released. Hang in there! Be back soon with an answer.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #1244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
The added protein slows the digestion of the carbs in the potato which reduces the major spike in blood sugar that causes the insulin release that mobilizes the fat. If you marginalize the spike, or slow down the release, you don't get the big insulin release, which is what burns the fat.
People with BG issues are often told to eat carbs along with protein to prevent a BG spike.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #1245
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
The added protein slows the digestion of the carbs in the potato which reduces the major spike in blood sugar that causes the insulin release that mobilizes the fat. If you marginalize the spike, or slow down the release, you don't get the big insulin release, which is what burns the fat.
People with BG issues are often told to eat carbs along with protein to prevent a BG spike.
So food eaten around the same time as potatos can sabotage the effect we are looking for from them, but what about after the fact. Just as an example, if I alternated potato days and regular eating (not necessarily JUUDD because I am not doing that), the food from my regular eating days shouldnt effect the potato day results?

Last edited by Xexist; 02-18-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #1246
Major LCF Poster!

Yup. A 4 hour window separating the potatoes from other fats & protein seems to be sufficient. So, for example, I have coffee with CO in the morning then wait 4 hours drinking only ea or water before starting to eat my potatoes. Then I don't eat anything else except until bed time. Obviously I sleep more than 4 hours so Im reset to have coffee again in the morning!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #1247
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Yup. A 4 hour window separating the potatoes from other fats & protein seems to be sufficient. So, for example, I have coffee with CO in the morning then wait 4 hours drinking only ea or water before starting to eat my potatoes. Then I don't eat anything else except until bed time. Obviously I sleep more than 4 hours so Im reset to have coffee again in the morning!
The first few days for me were a little difficult because I couldnt for the life of me make potatoes enjoyable. The best I came up with was 'not disgusting'. I have a simple potato soup I make now that I am really enjoying, like, REALLY enjoying. it will probably be my go to recipe from here on out, but it is very nice to know I can take a day off, or even a meal off, and it shouldnt really hold me back much in the long term.

I am totally sold on this potato diet now!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #1248
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
Here was my sugars
Fasting: 92
1/2 Hour mark: 130
1 Hour mark: 156
1 1/2 Hour mark: 119
2 Hour mark: 101

Do these seem good? or reasonable at least?

Enjoy your taters, they took off 7 pounds in 5 days when I did it the first time, I'm on day one of a second attempt...

--Patty
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #1249
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexist View Post
The first few days for me were a little difficult because I couldnt for the life of me make potatoes enjoyable. The best I came up with was 'not disgusting'. I have a simple potato soup I make now that I am really enjoying, like, REALLY enjoying. it will probably be my go to recipe from here on out, but it is very nice to know I can take a day off, or even a meal off, and it shouldnt really hold me back much in the long term.

I am totally sold on this potato diet now!
Would you mind sharing the recipe? Always looking for new ideas!

You guys who've done the "fried" potatoes...I tried it tonight & it was a dismal failure. Can you let me know how you do the fry without oil?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #1250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, I saw this on Pinterest and it actually works surprisingly well. You simply soak the potato fries in some water for 30 minutes before baking them. By soaking them, some of the starches leech out into the water. The starch in potatoes hinders moisture from escaping, which leaves more water in the potato. Make sure to rinse the potatoes well after soaking (to remove the starch) and pat them completely dry before cooking. If you don’t dry them well, you just add even more moisture.

I even did some checking on other foodie blogs and evidently this is a well known secret amongst all of the fry tater bakers. Also, I spritz my baking pan with coconut oil and turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Crispy and yummy.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #1251
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the recipe? Always looking for new ideas!

You guys who've done the "fried" potatoes...I tried it tonight & it was a dismal failure. Can you let me know how you do the fry without oil?

Thanks!
As I said its a simple soup. Maybe I am just easy to please but I was finding plain just far too bland, even cooking in broth didnt help much.

1 Boullion cube (beef or chicken) to 2 cups of water.
1-2 potatos (chopped into little cubes)
dash of pepper
splash of malt vinegar

I heat on the stove until boiling and only boil for about 9-10 minutes on medium heat. I like the potatoes firm and not mushy. They retain their shape and are very firm, but are still very well cooked and feel like I am eating something substatial and not just mush (like the over boiled potatoes I had been having before)

The boullion I have I think has 1 or 2 grams of fat in it per cube, but I only eat the broth while there is potato chunks left to eat, I end up dumping most of it some I dont feel like I am adding enough fat to hurt.

I had pizza tonight, first non potato meal I have had in about 4.5 days, but I have had such success on this that I am far from feeling guilty about it. I allowed myself a treat night. 4 slices of pizza, and a smoothie (frozen yogurt and skim milk, and a little sugar free davinci syrup).

2 weeks ago this wasnt even a big meal for me, tonight as much as I enjoyed my pizza, I feel like I just ate a semi truck lol.

Back to potatos tomorrow, and looking forward to it!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #1252
Junior LCF Member

Finished reading the whole thread now. Whew! What a read. I have a great respect for all you ladies (and guys?) doing this. This whole thing just reeks to me of 'FAD DIET! RUN AWAY!' but it really really works (well, for those lucky enough at least).

What a great bunch of people you are Im so glad I found you
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #1253
Senior LCF Member

It totally works if you stick to it! My weight went up today, but I know whay. As I said, Sunday was beach day. Then yesterday, I was prepared but not enough... My boss had food poisining, so I had to watch the shop from 7.30 am and close it at 7pm. Not enough potatoes to get me through. So nibbled on nuts, then got home exhausted and ate some bbq chicken
Today has been a mainly potato day. Have still had a few nuts which completely knocks the no-fat thing out of this hack, but

All the same, love the full feeling I get from potatoes. And....just discovered kipfler potatoes! OMG

x - I also like the 'freeing' feeling or taking a day or 2 off Judd. Think I am due for a proper DD tomorrow and actually looking forward to it after my break
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #1254
Senior LCF Member

I gained 6.4 total lbs....and beyond bloated. So......i'm going back to regular paleo LC juddd rotations. I did get so full on the taters...i just don't think they are for me
Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #1255
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Bummer Theresa! Hopefully as you lose the water bloat, some fat pounds will join in and come off too. Sorry this didn't work so good for you!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #1256
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Bummer Theresa! Hopefully as you lose the water bloat, some fat pounds will join in and come off too. Sorry this didn't work so good for you!
Thank you! I was hoping and super glad that it worked for others!! I really bloat up like a blow fish when i eat starches....but then again, here lately i have been sensitive to EVERYTHING! air seems to bother me!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #1257
Junior LCF Member

I forgot to bring my lunch to work today, so heres to hoping I can get through the day without hunger getting too bad!

Had a bowl of soup this morning for breakky without about a half pound of potatoes so heres hoping.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #1258
Senior LCF Member

I had a coffee this morning and have 550g of potatoes cooked and cooled as chips for lunch. Have had a few days off the hack due to unforeseen circumstances, but need a couple of low cal days before the weekend. So today and tomorrow the plan is about 1000 cal in mostly potatoes. Also, I did notice my circulation was better after the 2 and a half days I did potatoes only. Interesting.....
I'm due for TOM Monday, so also curious to see if this may help with cramps. Have a good day everyone
Old 02-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #1259
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
I gained 6.4 total lbs....and beyond bloated. So......i'm going back to regular paleo LC juddd rotations. I did get so full on the taters...i just don't think they are for me
That sucks for you!!!
I had that happen to me when I did low carb. It was absolutely awful, I feel your pain. Our bodies are so strange, we so want to believe things will work. I read the atkins book (72 and current) 2 times each during my 5 months LC. Followed it to a T and gained 4 kg.
I wish you the best in finding what works for you
Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #1260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
If you are going from low to high carb, an initial gain of 7 lbs is what rehydrating your cells looks like. Should come back off quickly.
Closed Thread