Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #661
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
Hey potato budds!

Adi - It's awful you were sick, glad you feel better!

Everyone else, my 3 day experiment is over. I had done 3 of my DD'S potato days and normal eating on UD's. I just bounced back andd forth on the scale so tried 3 in a row DD/UD/DD.

Weight -
Day 1 146.2
Day 2 144.8
Day 3 145.0

So my final weigh in today, drumroll...... 142.5! New low!

That puts me under 65kg. I couldn't be happier about it. I was hoping for a 143 number too. So I figure for a slow loser like me that has very small numbers (because I'm not over weight, just losing those last stubborn kilos), could do the 3 days a week just to get it moving again. I know tomorrow will probably spike after I eat normal UD today, but to see that number....

My experience...

- I have more energy and better mood
- No worrying about what and when to eat
- TMI ALERT!!! - ALOT of gas and very regular bowel movements. Maybe too much. but my UD of potatoes provided 40g of fibre, maybe more because I ate baby potatoes all day with the skin.
- I have had a really bad acne breakout, but that may not be related
- Sleep has been better.

So a great result for me and I will do this again. Thanks to ouiziod for sharing this!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
SICCHI--such great news about the weight loss and mood improvement!

People on *** who report having gas say that peeling the potatoes takes care of that problem
Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #663
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sicchi, great news that the scale has dropped for you and I'm so glad your mood is up!
The acne is probably a sign of detoxing.

I've had the absolute opposite with the BMs. Even with all the veggies etc on my UDs, I've been sluggish since I started the potato hack and I'll be glad to get back to normal!

Tonight, I changed my PDD into a Cindy-style one. I really didn't fancy any more potatoes but realised that because I'd not been hungry all day, I'd enough calories left for some cheese and Ryvita with a glass of wine. Great DD!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #664
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It's looking like regardless of whether folks are following their JUDDD calorie numbers or just disregarding them while doing the Hack, those who do potatoes only (sans fat/protein) for several days straight lose weight better/more pounds than those who just do the potatoes on their DDs and then eat regular on their UDs. Is it just me who thinks this is the pattern that is emerging?
Old 12-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pat--I agree--weight loss is better by eating potaoes to appetite. However, it is still a good JUDDD hack, because it makes down days bearable for those who struggle with hunger.

Last edited by ouizoid; 12-07-2012 at 03:50 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #666
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/176/168; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD / >100 g protein
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Kristin,

Paul Jaminet of the "The Perfect Health" diet believes that potatoes and brown rice are the two safe starches and could/should be a staple in daily diet without issue of insulin spikes/inflammation. I have been listening to him on podcasts and he has done quite a bit of research...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
c'marie--white rice is considered the "safe starch" not brown--contrary to the wisdom we have always heard--
So, you don't think brown rice would work? I'm wondering if a rice/potato combination would make this diet easier (?). I love rice cakes. A strictly potato diet would drive me nuts, though I'm willing to give it a try. Thanks for posting it, initially, ouizoid.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #667
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would try potatoes only first for a few days--you would be surprised--you might be hungry or bored the first day or so, but then the satisfaction thang kicks in and they are amazingly filling and satisfying. I have done days with some white rice--but usually on my "regular" non tater only days.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #668
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Holy guacamole, batman, I stumbled across this toothsome little morsel of info when I went looking for an accurate calorie count for my waffle-ironed sweet potatoes. They weighed only about half as much cooked as they did raw, and I wanted to know which weight to record. Apparently the whole calorie measuring system is FUBAR, which I always suspected. Cooked food has VASTLY more calories available and use less energy to digest, yet is often counted the same as raw when measuring calories/macronutrients. Crap. Will have to recalculate DD totals, and this may be the reason for my epic stall....it wasn't totally new info to me, having watched a fascintating PBS show about the science of food which theorized that the advent of cooking food allowed our brains to have more energy to develop, and we basically evolved to our current form as a result of heating our food! Makes my fascination/obsession with food and cooking ever so much more reasonable sounding, tee hee....here's the link to the article:
Why Calorie Counts Are Wrong: Cooked Food Provides a Lot More Energy : The Crux
--patty
Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #669
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
Pat - i totally agree after doing it both ways. I am having my break day today, but hunger is so different from usual.

Btw, i have snuck a treat in each day. Yesterday i ate about 350 cal of potatoes and had a slice of pizza later at night. The day before was some bread and beer. But i have stuck to juddd rotation numbers. I hardly ever do that! That may have been what worked for me.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #670
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It's looking like regardless of whether folks are following their JUDDD calorie numbers or just disregarding them while doing the Hack, those who do potatoes only (sans fat/protein) for several days straight lose weight better/more pounds than those who just do the potatoes on their DDs and then eat regular on their UDs. Is it just me who thinks this is the pattern that is emerging?
Pat, it does look that way, though we're a small sample size.
I wonder what happens to SIRTs during this if we're eating potatoes to fullness rather than following UD-DD numbers. ??
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #671
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paul jaminet sez white rice. Cronise sez brown rice..
Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #672
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/176/168; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD / >100 g protein
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
dunno. I was just quoting sunday. i don't know the guy.
in doing more reading, it appears that potatoes are superior to rice when that's all you're going to eat. rice has less protein, especially white rice, but it might be a nice change of pace.

i'm already planning for boredom. gonna try it monday. anxious to give it a try.

Last edited by jenericstewart; 12-07-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #673

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Looking forward to my PDD

I decided that I love the normal food on my UD too much to do the total hack. But doing potatoes on the Down days is so easy and I love the cold potatoes. Today I will be eating baby new organics.

I was 126 after my UD this morning, the scale tried to go to 125.8 even.....
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #674
Major LCF Poster!

Half a pound down after my first non-potato UD. Not what I figured, and good news.
Any thoughts, anybody, on what happens to SIRTs during the hack? I prefer eating to hunger but I woudn't love losing the JUDDD advantage.
Happy day, potato friends.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #675
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
"There must have been some magic in that po-ta-to they found,
For when they placed it in their mouths, weight began to settle down-down-down"

C'Marie, I think I am seeing a similar pattern. Eat one potato-only meal, eat it at least two hours after other foods, and something very strange and very nice happens. DH brought some of my favorite chocolates home yesterday (DD). I plan to enjoy them very much today = no cravings. I am de-bloating wonderfully. I am also losing about a pound a DD (126.4 this morning). Because I like many of the results, I am now worried about how to do the hack in maintenance.

What a great problem to have!

Quote:
Truth will probably end up being any low-protein, very low fat, high GI veg. Truth will probably (as always) end up being different for different metabolisms.

'zoid, I remain glad you shared this hack.

Now, how do I get DH (who is in a maintenance stall but does not want to admit it) to try the hack? He thinks I am nuts.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-08-2012 at 03:41 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #676

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
My experiment has been the potatos only, and I have't been JUDDing with it, just eating what I was hungry for. I've done both sweet and regular potatos, but I keep it mixed with yukon, russet and so forth.

I'm down at least 8 lbs for the week. I didn't lose yesterday, which is first,but I am still quite happy

I've had great energy (I dont exercise) and I'm calm in the face of some very serious personal issues, I don't even feel a lot of pull to eat for comfort...

I'm not sure how long I'll do this portion. I do think the perfect health diet is a good option for jazzing up the up and down days.

What got me started was really thinking about how many people had done so well for centuries using potatos as a main source of food. It may not be perfect, but I have felt a sense of gratitude that I can eat this way and keep in mind all those who have had done so before me.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #677
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
Pat - i totally agree after doing it both ways. I am having my break day today, but hunger is so different from usual.

Btw, i have snuck a treat in each day. Yesterday i ate about 350 cal of potatoes and had a slice of pizza later at night. The day before was some bread and beer. But i have stuck to juddd rotation numbers. I hardly ever do that! That may have been what worked for me.
Hi Sicchi,

Congrats on your loss!!! Regarding your comment about "doing it both ways"...what where you doing before that did not work and what worked for you instead. Sorry I am a little slow here... lol
Were you doing just potatos before and not counting your calories and you found that doing potato dd only with a treat , counting calories and counting up day calories worked better???

It seems like you are doing juddd but eating mostly potatoes on you DD and you had success....
Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #678
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Su11, sympathies for the personal stress.

Agree with you. Humans and potatoes go back a loooong way.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #679
Senior LCF Member

I keep hovering around 168. The good news is I am not having huge bounces as before, less cravings... I had puffins corn cereal, milk, breaded fish, salad, cookie, popcorn, grilled chicken, 2 small potatoes, green beans, 2 coconut popcles, watermelon, grapes, apple. Last night I got hungry during my UD, instead of eating junk food, I had some fruit! so proud of myself. These potatoes are helping me stay in control. I am eager to see my wt tomorrow. Hoping to reach 167! The biggest benefit for me so far is that I am able to keep my rotations calories going! woo hooo! Finally stayed on it for a week... I am eager to see what Sicchi says about her exeriment. If I could add a treat to my DD and continue to lose that would be awesome. still have not added any fats on my PDD.

Thanks for everyone that is posting your experiments!!!

Stats:
12/2 173.5 DD potato only day , about 700 cals no fat, waist 35
12/3 170.5 UD lost 3lbs! regular up day foods about 2000 cals (bloat wt loss)
12/4 170.0 DD lost .5 lbs!!! had several bm's yesterday? no headache pDD 700 cals potatoes only, +++
12/5 168.5 UD lost 1.5lb last of the bloat weight 1800 cals
12/6 169.0 DD gain .5lb after up day, ate 700 cals potatoes only
12/7 168.0 UD lost 1 lb, cals 2000, +
12/8 168.5 DD gain .5, waist 33

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #680
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Half a pound down after my first non-potato UD. Not what I figured, and good news.
Any thoughts, anybody, on what happens to SIRTs during the hack? I prefer eating to hunger but I woudn't love losing the JUDDD advantage.
Happy day, potato friends.
I am just guessing that just as Sirt-1 activation doesn't leave us for approx. 2 weeks, (according to the research) the same is true when you take vacation or maintenance breaks. We all have had to go on vacay and notice we do not gain and then once back, drop even more weight than prior to and rather quickly at that!

I am going to try and get in high UD on taters, but know that about 1200 cals would be my max. Now, if I could add fat *thinking butter/cream* I know I could get my UD numbers in. DD is a cinch on tater-hack.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 12-08-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #681
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sunday. And thanks again for Perfect Health diet. I love those two and their thinking.
(I'm doing circus tricks to combine JUDDD, PHD, and potato hacking.)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #682
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post
My experiment has been the potatos only, and I have't been JUDDing with it, just eating what I was hungry for. I've done both sweet and regular potatos, but I keep it mixed with yukon, russet and so forth.

I'm down at least 8 lbs for the week. I didn't lose yesterday, which is first,but I am still quite happy

I've had great energy (I dont exercise) and I'm calm in the face of some very serious personal issues, I don't even feel a lot of pull to eat for comfort...:j
umpjoy:

I'm not sure how long I'll do this portion. I do think the perfect health diet is a good option for jazzing up the up and down days.

What got me started was really thinking about how many people had done so well for centuries using potatos as a main source of food. It may not be perfect, but I have felt a sense of gratitude that I can eat this way and keep in mind all those who have had done so before me.
I am simply amazed! 8 lbs is incredible! I think the fact that you are calm is something that all need to take notice, the seeming calmness in your stressful situation is truly remarkable. I am sorry that you are having to deal with stress.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #683
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Quote:
Pat--I agree--weight loss is better by eating potatoes to appetite. However, it is still a good JUDDD hack, because it makes down days bearable for those who struggle with hunger.
I did normal UDs this week and potato DDs. I have come to the same conclusion as Pat and Ouiz.

Weight loss was no different than normal JUDDDing but hunger was less.

Nancy I like the idea of having a potato meal in it's own window, Shangri-la style. I'd been wondering about trying that for DDs instead of doing a Fast-5 equivalent. Have to compare that with my usual bullet-proof cocoa fix.

Definitely wasn't willing to sabotage my sirtuin pool this week but I think a straight three-day potato fast would be a great way to clean up after seasonal indulgences.

Last edited by Flossyliz; 12-08-2012 at 05:46 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Thanks, Sunday. And thanks again for Perfect Health diet. I love those two and their thinking.
(I'm doing circus tricks to combine JUDDD, PHD, and potato hacking.)
I am excited to read the book now! I think the fact that Sisson/Mercola have been talking about it as well as many other paleo peeps, had me interested in knowing how this would work for me longterm? And Jaminet has something to say about IF in the book as well.

Did you see his food chart that I posted on the Benefits thread? I was a little bummed about the NO legumes, but can learn to live with the sweet taters/rice.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #685

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
The one thing that gives me a question is that we are seeing 6 and 8 pounds scale weight lost in a week... what is being lost that is showing up as weight loss on that scale?

We've been told that we can't lose body fat that fast, so we shouldn't be thinking it is all melted body fat.

We've been told that our bodies don't consume their own muscles for needed protein until real protein-depletion has been ongoing for some time, so it can't be lost muscle mass that is being shown on the scale.

We've been led to believe that we only lose water weight in the initial stages of carbohydrate depletion, and that if we eat carbs, we will increase our body weight back again because of all that stored water weight again... not lose water weight.

So, what is the story here? Could it be that it's all body fat? Could it be that you CAN and DO lose water weight on a high carb limited diet? Do the authors of this diet plan reveal to us what this weight loss is from?

Another question is this: Is this ongoing? If you strictly Potato Hack for several days straight, and lose several pounds from doing that, do those pounds come back when you return to standard JUDDD (or even any other diet plan), or do those pounds stay gone?

And if you continued to do the Potato Hack for an extended period, say 6 weeks of just potatoes, would weight loss continue as it did during those first few days?

I'm wondering if this is anything akin to the newbie low carbers who dump pounds of water weight the first week of induction and are so thrilled about how low carbing is working for them, only to find out that it was just water weight, and the true weight loss still lay ahead of them.

But if this spud weight loss is just water weight, we were all misled about it taking a very low carb plan only for that to happen. Could it be body fat loss???

What's happening here?

Last edited by SoHappy; 12-08-2012 at 06:26 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #686
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi everyone!

Sunday, could you post the link to the Benefits thread of Jaminet please?

Su awesome results. 8lbs in a week is fantastic!!

Well 2nd day results are in for me...and can I just say that my ability to cheat is crazy! CRAZY! I can't even hack a potato hack for 2 days. I swear they removed my will and determination at the last surgery!!! Oy veh. So in the interest of science, I gotta report this. Cuz it's crazy, except I KNOW I have/had a lot of fluid retention from the surgery and so much swelling.

Day 2 - Potato Hack

30.66oz Potatos (Baby whites, reds, russet)
2 c Organics Broth
4 1/2 Tbsp ACV, Bragg's
Kosher Salt
NoSalt
2 Tbsp WF Ranch Dressing
1/8 tsp Bacon Salt

Daily Totals - 760Cals; .9g F; 166.3g C; 18.4g Fib; 22.8g P; 147.90g Net Carbs

Had so much head hunger after I went to bed. I wasn't hungry. Wasn't sleepy. Felt unsettled and filled with too much energy. Fell asleep, woke at 2:30am. And was STARVING!

So I went in the kitchen, drank water, tried to settle but would not be appeased. I ended up eating caveman style in the dark!

2 slices of Pepper Jack Cheese (2oz estimated)
2 slices Pork Loin, roasted (2 oz estimated)
4 thin slices Salami, hard (1 oz estimated)

There was no way I could make myself eat a potato!

So my daily totals ended up:

Daily Totals after 2:30am non-potato snack: 1189 Cals; 31.5g F; 167.7g C; 18.4g Fib; 59.8g P; 149.3g Net Carbs

Fasting Blood Sugar 8:00am - 103 (totally doable)

And drum roll please....

Weight is - 239.0 (starting weight 247.4lbs) = 8.4lbs in 2 days

Wow, my paradigm of eating is very confused. I think I need to go hang out with the Paleo peeps and Jaminet and do a bit of reading... we're always learning something new, right?

Since yesterday may have effectively been considered an unintentional UD afterall and not fully potato only complient. I may try to see if I can hold off eating as long as possible today (considering I last ate at 2:30am) and try doing a potato only DD today. I think I had greater satisfaction, eating less. Less carbs = less hunger? Dunno. Will try it and see though.

Sorry Pat - we were posting at the same time!
I'm not a biochemist that's for sure...but I think there are some hormonal things going on here. I think that maybe things like cortisol, leptin, ghrelin, insulin maybe even aldosterone are involved as well as thyroid hormones. The reason I say this is from symptoms. I've no doubt most of my 8.4lb loss is fluid. There may be 1/2lb of fat loss...maybe. But I can see that whatever I've done, whether that's adding sodium and potassium to my diet or what, has unleashed a diuretic effect on me.

I am not having cold shivers (thyroid symptoms) right now on this hack. I was able to go longer in between meals yesterday but ate larger meals so may be having leptin/ghrelin/insulin effects. And lastly, I think when we go 20g of net carbs or less per week, some of us have hellacious cortisol backlash. As a person with possible cyclical Cushing's Syndrome, I think that's what's been happening to me the last 10 days on NK Atkins Induction. I steadily gained weight from 240.something up to 247.4lbs. That was surely mostly water weight, but high cortisol causes huge fluid retention...

Just my lay person thoughts here. We are seriously jacking not only with the insulin feedback loop and the liver but we're also jacking heavily with our kidneys and also our thyroid and adrenals with the PH.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by pooticus; 12-08-2012 at 06:35 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #687
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kettleboy and many of the *** folks say that it is both water & fat. A combo. Pat, you should read the "60 day Potato Diet". He ate nothing but taters for 60 days and did not gain weight back.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow Pooti! I do believe you may be the winner!

Here is the Benefits thread! Longevity genes

Hmmm, don't know what happened? Wrong link....

Benefits of Alternate Day Fasting/CRON

Last edited by sunday; 12-08-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #689
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pooti,

All of that could NOT be water weight. You lost some bonafide fat.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #690
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su11 View Post

I've had great energy (I dont exercise) and I'm calm in the face of some very serious personal issues, I don't even feel a lot of pull to eat for comfort...

Congrats Su11! so sorry to hear about that you are going through a rough time
Closed Thread