Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #631
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Interesting on the bg numbers improving over a few days. Might give this another go and see if I see similar results. But I think I'll do it with sweets, since I usually have less of a spike with those. Maybe start with sweets and work into the others.

I've found the least painful place to test is the side of my pinky finger or ring finger sometimes. The pads hurt the most. The sides are better. I can retest the same finger most of the day and still not be sore. Also, make sure you set your lancet as shallow as possible to get the droplet you need, without going any deeper than necessary.

I just wish the strips weren't so expensive. I'll probably need a new box before I try this. And want to hear more from Adi to see if she has the declining spikes too.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #632
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Interesting on the bg numbers improving over a few days. Might give this another go and see if I see similar results. But I think I'll do it with sweets, since I usually have less of a spike with those. Maybe start with sweets and work into the others.

I've found the least painful place to test is the side of my pinky finger or ring finger sometimes. The pads hurt the most. The sides are better. I can retest the same finger most of the day and still not be sore. Also, make sure you set your lancet as shallow as possible to get the droplet you need, without going any deeper than necessary.

I just wish the strips weren't so expensive. I'll probably need a new box before I try this. And want to hear more from Adi to see if she has the declining spikes too.
I don't know anything about the testing equipment, but just wondered if the strips can be cut in half lengthwise, like we used to do with the keto test strips, to make double the number of test strips? That way we had all these long, very thin, strips, but it doubled the supply for no more money.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #633
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
That would be nice Pat, but I don't think the meter would read them correctly if you did that, unfortunately.

Listening to the Jaminet interview now.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #634
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
1 hour post-prandial (2:15pm) - 79
Pre-snack (4pm) - 74 **Was feeling hungry and a bit of cravings. More boredom than anything, I think.
(small snack of potatoes at 4:15pm - about 1/2 lunch portion)
Post-snack (5pm) - 104

(Have I mentioned, DANG my fingers hurt!!! All in the name of science! And this bg just keeps going down down down! )
Pre-dinner, post-snack (7pm) - 72
Post-dinner (8:15pm) - 125
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #635
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post

I've found the least painful place to test is the side of my pinky finger or ring finger sometimes.
The pads hurt the most. The sides are better. I can retest the same finger most of the day and still not be sore. Also, make sure you set your lancet as shallow as possible to get the droplet you need, without going any deeper than necessary.

Thanks so much for the tip! I am going to test tomorrow and over the weekend as well to check for what is going on with regular food and alcohol.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #636
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I ran out of test strips so cannot report BG accurately. But, for someone the doctor says does not have a BG problem, I am kinda hyper-sensitive when it changes.

So, what I have learned:

Like Erin, I am well on my way to being in serious trouble. If this hack regulates my BG surges then this is worth doing even if my weight remains stable (see below).

Very slight adjustments to potato-only meals, kept me from getting shaky and ill. 1 teaspoon of of full fat blue cheese salad dressing mashed in potato was delicious and I felt fine. Even better, adding fiber by dissolving some gluc in defatted bone broth then tossing in chopped potato did the trick - and made a tasty, thick soup.

As with LC, I go into ketosis at the drop of a food group Oh, that yucky taste in my mouth!

No bloating. Just the opposite. My tummy, which has been swollen for months because of medical problems followed by surgery, has returned to flat.

Yesterday morning, I saw 127.0. Since I called goal at 128.0, I have seen the high 127's many times but have not really landed there. I think I would like 125 to be the high side of my bounces, so potatoes may take me there.

Yesterday was another family outing. I did not potato. I think I am going to try spud DDs and see where that takes me.

Finally, my tummy does not like malt vinegar - it reawakens acid reflux - but I sure do.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-07-2012 at 02:23 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 AM   #637
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
My first non bloat wt loss today. not sure if its from juddd or potatoes. Ate potatoes all day yesterday. no hunger issues. just feel empty sometimes. not really craving any foods that doesn't mean I wouldn't eat them! sugar free gum helps with the bordom. slight headache in the evening. Boiled some taters in chicken stock and spices and onions. The potatoes still tasted bland to me. What's the secret of getting the flavors of the broth to penatrate the potatoes?? simmering? I did nuke the potatoes for 2 min in the microwave so my stew would not take so long to cook. Forward on..... So happy to be able to finally stick to my calories!!!

anyone know of any good books about how to eat more with less calories. I looked into the volumizing diet and "the eat this not that" but didn't find them helpful. a great book would be about how to eat a huge meal with very few calories!

Stats:
12/2 173.5 DD potato only day , about 700 cals no fat
12/3 170.5 UD lost 3lbs! regular up day foods about 2000 cals (bloat wt loss)
12/4 170.0 DD lost .5 lbs!!! had several bm's yesterday? no headache pDD 700 cals potatoes only
12/5 168.5 UD lost 1.5lb last of the bloat weight 1800 cals
12/6 169.0 DD gain .5lb after up day, ate 700 cals potatoes only
12/7 168.0 UD lost 1 lb

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #638

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
cuttie--I think Hungry Girl would help with that. She has a few books out, but her show is on Food Network. You can find her online and see what you think about her recipes. She loves to eat too!!! Just wants less calories.

Ooooh, maybe her books are in the library too. I get a few books from the library first to see if I like them enough to buy them myself. Her newest one could be used as a weight for weightlifting LOL.

Last edited by dawnyama; 12-07-2012 at 04:59 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 AM   #639
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Cuttie, I think that'd be the Cabbage Stir Fry Book, which could be compiled from the DD recipe threads. Shirataki makes for huge volume, too.

Well, I ate some other stuff last night. Yams with butter. A taste of salami, bacon, cheese. I just walked into the kitchen and wanted other food for the first time in a week.
I expected choirs of angels with the tastes. It was no big deal.
Same weight this morning and a slight hangover feeling. Also a completely different non-hunger feeling this morning than the non-hunger I feel when filled with potatoes. Who k ows what that's about?

Today I'll try a Jaminet (have I got that right?) UD and then try a potato DD tomorrow.
I love reading everyone's experiences.
Happy day, taters.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #640
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi SPUDDDs!

So yesterday was a successful down day.

I had 20.41oz of red potatoes yesterday to total
491 cals, .9g F (2%Fat), 109.7g C, 10.3g Fib, 12.8g P, 100.9g Net Carbs

5 Meals:

12:45 4.45oz Raw Wt Measure Red Potato
14:00 2.43oz Baked Wt Measure Red Potato
16:30 2.83oz Baked Wt Measure Red Potato
18:30 8.1oz Baked Wt Measure Red Potato
22:30 2.6oz Baked Wt Measure Red Potato
1 sachet HerbOx Beef Bouillon Crystals

Throughout the day, had small amounts of reasonable hunger. Food fixation where I thought about the next potato meal and whether or not I should be eating it now or saving it for later (hoarder mentality, imposed by the 500cal DD).

But the big thing I dealt with and don't know if it's associated with the nightshade family (me=highly allergic to eggplant=itchy throat/mouth, red cheeks, stuffiness) or if it's associated with the fungal infestation I've been battling since chemo (thrush and skin fungal breakouts). I had a very bloated tummy after each meal and also had increase of stringy mucus and asthma after my large meal. I think it was more related to candida than to an actual allergy. Ear ringing increased after each meal.

But I'm down to 244.4lbs this morning from 247.4lbs yesterday morning for a 3lb overnight loss (fluid I'm so sure), but that's a better drop than I see after most DDs where I fast until the evening meal, then eat a reasonable dinner <500cals.

I woke up with a less bloated tummy and throat clearing (candida type tongue). No hunger and am now starting to feel a bit peckish after 30 minutes. Am on the fence about whether or not to do a second day. Part of me says, "Why not!?" But I can't see myself being able to get in 56oz of baked potato today. That's 3 1/2lbs of potatoes and kinda worry about the asthma stuff if I do?

Just wondering, has anyone tried potato flakes for mashed potatoes? Would that be even higher glycemic than whole baked potatoes? I may try some with broth this morning for a potato soup kinda thing. That way I don't have to rush to get to the grocery.

Also, what was the verdict about doing the hack using winter squash instead of potatoes? Thoughts anyone?

Should I do a second day?

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #641
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Pooti--how about just eating taters for 3-4 days and not trying to JUDDD? Just eat to hunger and see how it goes? Also, I think there is some definite potato detox thing that happens for folks--so being symptomatic at first and then a sense of well being seems to be a general pattern. I think itches and rashes and insulin spikes followed by low bs, and all the wacky body symptoms we are having may just be some kind of weird detox syndrome. Maybe some of us are nightshade sensitive, but maybe on the other hand, for many of us something fundamental is cleared out of the body by a little time monoeating potatoes. Just my current hypothesis looking at all the data you all are providing.

Cuttie--I have found some fat free salsas and queso toppings have made my potatoes quite delicious. 15 cals for 2 TBS, which I think is just fine.

On the note that hunger is different with potatoes vs. regular food, YES! hunger is different, cravings for sweets go away, fullness is different, mood is different, the whole experience is like some new territory that we potato explorers are just beginning to map out!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #642
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/147/145
Start Date: March 2012
So I did end up doing 5 days of the potato hack and my weight this morning is 148.0 for a total loss of 6.8 pounds! I tried to do JUDDD with the potatoes to compare with those of you not JUDDDing the potato hack and was rather unsuccessful. My DD's were very easy and came in at about 350 cals with no hunger. My UD came in at about 800 cals and I really just couldn't eat any more.
I tried running yesterday and I was slow and tired. Felt like I was running on fumes which calorie wise I was. Without the exercise I could manage this and felt ok so will try it again after my race is done in January. I have my fingers crossed that some of the weight I have quickly lost sticks as this will make running easier for me after a few normal meals.
One other thing that I thought was significant is that I was not freezing on the low calorie potato eating days. Typically I have cold hands on DD's.
I am ecstatic to be back to a regular food UD today but I think I will definitely be incorporating potatoes into my DD food list as I find them incredibly filling for the number of calories they contain.
I wish you all great success and I look forward to reading how everyone else does with the potatoes!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #643
the condiment queen

Thanks Ouz!

So I forgot I had gotten my free NovaMax meter - glu/keto and it has some test strips in it and a coupon for 50strips for $15 bucks! Sweet! I will go buy some today and in the meantime, I have taters cooking in the oven now.

I did my semi-fasting blood sugar reading, (black coffee which "they" say is ok at the onc's office), and it was 104 which is pretty dang awesome for me! Will do a post-prandial 30 minute, 1 hour and 2 hour using approx 8.5 oz of potatoes raw weight and just track it for grins.

No hunger right now. I'm aiming to try to get back to doing the Circadian Rhythm Reset CRR) at the same time as doing this PH. So I will eat in a window from 11am - 7pm starting today and start going to bed at 11pm again. I just HAVE to get my body back to a rhythm of health instead of this weight gain, insomniac, pain-filled, sleeping 1 hours at a time kinda thing it's got going now.

Maybe instead of an UD - I will just eat to hunger as you suggest and try to keep meals around 8.5oz per meal which is abut 38.3 g of carbs with 34.2 net carbs per meal. Maybe I will be able to space the meals out longer today with satiety? I'll also see if the symptoms decrease over the next few days.

According to Peter's hypothesis at HyperLipid, as a T2 diabetic I should be in trouble with this diet long term...from a liver standpoint. But he's talking about eating 3000-4000kcals/day of tatties! Holy zoikers, man! I'm gonna be surprised if I can eat 1000cals per day with them. I had to really question whether or not to eat the 10pm tater last night, but did it cuz I wanted to be sure I slept well without hunger. Also, I think the ankle swelling yesterday was from adding so much salt. Count me in the group that loves malt and acv on taters with salt! I did add NOSALT for 2 of the feedings trying to see if adding potassium to the already potassium rich potatoes would make any difference. I'm thinking it did help the muscle cramps I've been having a little bit.

Thanks for this thread Ouzi! It's super entertaining and encouraging. Thanks for all your guidance!!!

Last edited by pooticus; 12-07-2012 at 08:38 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #644
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Sounds like you've been detoxing, Pooticus.

I'm only just wondering whether to have my first batch of taters. It's almost 5pm and my stomach is growling a bit. I haven't eaten anything yet today but I don't feel very hungry.

I'm amazed how long I can go on one cup of tea nowadays. Maybe I should start a Proper Cuppa Tea hack?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #645
the condiment queen

Flossy! I think you and Ouz are right. That's it's probably detox.

LOL on the proper cup of tea hack!

I was thinking maybe we could do a Dreamfield's pasta hack. *snort*

Guess that's wishful dreamin!

Last edited by pooticus; 12-07-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #646
Senior LCF Member

thank you Ouizoid, Dawn and Kristin for your suggestions!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #647
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Here's my report:

I'm done with my 4 potato days. I'm down 3.6. I added whey protein to my coffee yesterday at 11 am and didn't eat any potatoes or anything else until dinner time, as I wanted to make sure to have the potatoes digest separately from the protein in case there was an issue. I had the biggest drop I have had, so I don't *think* the protein in the morning is a deal-breaker, at least for me.

Here's what this did for me:
1. Got my focus off food - what I could eat and what I couldn't eat, no choices, simplicity!
2. Got rid of my cravings after the 2nd day. I had a bit of a struggle the 2nd night, had a little cravings. But I drank some tea and they passed.
3. Made me realize I can eat ONLY potatoes and I would be fine. Made me feel like I could move right into a veggie fast if need be, with potatoes as backup for hunger. I may decide to do that after next week just to detox again.
4. Lost more this week than I would've just plain JUDDDing, if my normal weekly stats are any indication. I've been up and down the same 3 pounds for weeks and weeks. I broke through that, just slightly.
5. Proved to myself that the wheat really is the joint issue for me, as I had NO joint pain with potatoes!

I had yukon yellow, reds, purples, and sweets. As to volume, I had about 1/3 sweets in case any of you wonder about sweets.

Now, today, tomorrow, and Sunday, I had commitments that would've made eating only potatoes pretty difficult. So today and tomorrow I am counting calories and staying very low-moderate, perhaps as MDs. Sunday I will claim as an UD and just eat when I feel hungry, I have a study group and will be grazing all day, probably-stressful project, and my usual response to stress is either snacking or not eating at all. However, I will be with friends from class and there will be camaraderie so it is likely that I will be snacking. I am really hoping not to bump back up that 3.6 pounds I lost, maybe 1.5.

Then come Monday, Wednesday and Thursday I will do potatoes again. I may do potatoes Tuesday, but have dinner with my classmates - not sure. Might just be an UD or protein in the morning and dinner at night. That's my last night of school!

There's my report. I felt fine, had good mood as opposed to some DDs, got kinda tired of potatoes, but proved to myself I could do it. This has been an experiment worth doing for me. I mentioned before that I have had an eating disorder in my past that made me not want to do anything experimental for fear of resurrecting old demons. The potato hack was a relatively painless process and it made me feel comfortable about experimentation again. That alone was worth doing it.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
Old 12-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #648
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
DD today and my weight was 144.8 following an UD so I am right where I want to be. Only problem is I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up potatoes so now I can't face a potato. Will have to wait until I can face them before I do another potato day. BUT I enjoyed it.
Will have to feed DH all of those potatoes in my pantry.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #649
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
DD today and my weight was 144.8 following an UD so I am right where I want to be. Only problem is I woke up in the middle of the night and threw up potatoes so now I can't face a potato. Will have to wait until I can face them before I do another potato day. BUT I enjoyed it.
Hope you are feeling better Adi.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #650
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Pooti, I don't know about the potato flakes, but I am going to try the winter squash with mine and will let you know. I know some of the *** peeps did this. Congrats on your great loss!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Enjoying that Mercola interview of Jaminet mentioned earlier and had to smile when Jaminet started talking about "the elephant" as it reminded me of fabulous Nancy's remarks above!!! Good stuff!!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #652

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Oh no! Do you have a bug, or do you think your system had just had enough? I hope you're feeling better Adi!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #653
the condiment queen

Wow Adi, sorry you got sick! I hope you feel better soon!

Sunday, I may try to get some winter squash today as well.

So here was this morning's glucose test:

Fasting (black coffee) - 104

Meal 1 - 10.19oz Baked Potatoes, 2 Tbsp ACV-unf, 1/4 tsp NoSALT, 1/8 tsp kosher salt

Preprandial - 107
30 minutes - 135
60 minutes - 146
120 minutes - 113

A 39pt rise to peak at 1 hour is not so bad and not in the diabetic response range I don't believe? I'm having memory failure right now. It should be back below 110 at 2 hours, but I do generally have some issues with a return to preprandial at 2 hours.

I would like NOT to see it go into the 140s...so will be interested in seeing if this response gets lower in the next couple of days.

I'm also feeling diuretic effects: dry mouth, peeing like a racehorse...etc. God knows, I had some FLUUUUUU-IDDD! I plumped up quicker than the Staypuff Marshmallow Man these last 10 days for some reason!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #654
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/147/145
Start Date: March 2012
Adi, sorry you were sick. I did read someone saying on *** that the potato skins can be toxic. I have no idea if this is true. I certainly hope not as they are my favourite.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #655
Senior LCF Member

Adi hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #656
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Adi, sorry you were sick. I did read someone saying on *** that the potato skins can be toxic. I have no idea if this is true. I certainly hope not as they are my favourite.
Solanine is a chemical in the potato skin, especially of ones that are a bit green. Symptoms of ingesting too much include vomiting and diarrhea.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #657
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Feel better soon, Adi!!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #658
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Oh no! Do you have a bug, or do you think your system had just had enough? I hope you're feeling better Adi!
No bug. I am not sick. I just woke up and felt odd and then started throwing up. After I did that a few times I was fine so something I ate did not agree with me. Gee, that would have been potatoes.

I am fine today. In fact so not hungry I forgot breakfast.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #659
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Maybe that was it since I do eat the skins. But then I have been eating them for a week but maybe I started in on a new bag of different potatoes. Will wait a few days before I try another potato and I might just peel them from now on.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #660

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Maybe that was it since I do eat the skins. But then I have been eating them for a week but maybe I started in on a new bag of different potatoes. Will wait a few days before I try another potato and I might just peel them from now on.
What you might do is run your potato peeler down one side and down the other, one swipe each time, just to see if it's greenish under the immediate peel.

I've enjoyed potatoes much of my life (they're my slim DH's favorite *vegetable* along with creamed corn ), and occasionally I get a potato that is a bit greenish beneath its skin. I just peel that part away and never have a problem.
Closed Thread