Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #601
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
@Sunday, I know what you mean about fat. I can let it go short term for sure. Even though I know our brains need it, so I am not thinking that is a long-term solution. I plan on switching out fat for carbs on my days off PD. I don't have a lot of whey protein so I plan on using only 1 1/2 scoops for PD's. Obviously regardless of what I am doing I will track calories. There's no point in doing any of this if I am consuming too much of anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #602
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Oh gosh, i'm late to the 'potato party' and am a bit confused

Is it just potatoes, just baked, no butter, no salt on DDs?

Just asking because my office cafe makes WONDERFUL 'breakfast potatoes" with peppers & onions and it's just so yummy. I could possibly eat that all day on a DD!
I am no expert but I think the key is no fat. I have been having tons of salt on these potato days and losing.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #603
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Jaminet's video interview is 90 mins but if you're short of time, there's a transcript of a more recent one. Google "Dr Paul Jaminet discusses the benefits of a healthy diet".
Some interesting stuff about carbs and glucose.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #604
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos0100 View Post
I weighed 3 potatoes this morning, came to 15 ounces. Threw them in a WalMart bag to bring to work. Guess one must have rolled out in the floorboard. Came in to cook in the microwave and only had 2 potatoes. Cooked them in the microwave and placed in refrigerator to cool. I've been slightly heating up small amounts every few hours and adding salt/pepper/malt vinegar.

I just realized about an hour ago that I have had NO craving for sugar and that is highly unusual for me. Tomorrow will be an UD and I'm sure after lunch especially I will be looking for the sugar.
It is kind of amazing how much the potatoes fill one up! I am happy that it is helping your sugar cravings and I hope you aren't too hungry due to the missing spud.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #605
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
It is kind of amazing how much the potatoes fill one up! I am happy that it is helping your sugar cravings and I hope you aren't too hungry due to the missing spud.
I will retrieve the runaway spud this afternoon when I leave work to go home. He will be my supper.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #606
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
I think I may be one of those people who have to count even potato calories!! My weight loss results aren't the best.

Ended November @ 158.6
Dec. 1 ----159.8----PDD
Dec. 2 ----158.0----PUD
Dec. 3 ----158.6----PDD
Dec. 4 ----157.6----PUD
Dec. 5 ----156.8----PDD----Last potato day
Dec. 6 ----157.4--- Decided to do a MD to get ready for normal rotations.

From the last day of November til today, I lost 1.2 lbs. Maybe the sweet potatoes I ate made the difference? I plan on doing another potato hack, probably after the holidays. At least I do get some relief from craving sweets & a better mood! That's worth a lot to me! Six days on potatoes & 1.2lbs........

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #607
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Jaminet's video interview is 90 mins but if you're short of time, there's a transcript of a more recent one. Google "Dr Paul Jaminet discusses the benefits of a healthy diet".
Some interesting stuff about carbs and glucose.
Is it the fat-burning man video? I love that one as well! He has done indepth research on nutrition although Jaminet is really an Astrophysicist at Harvard, fascinating! I have decided to read his book next after listening to him speak. Mark Sisson also helped write the book along with Jaminet's wife.

Last edited by sunday; 12-06-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #608
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Shari, I am afraid it is not the sweet potato, so much as some of us lose better with different variations of hacks. The potato hack did not work for everyone over at the MDA either. I may be one that this doesn't work as well.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #609
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
If you've come off your potato experiment have you found a major lack of appetite the day after? After two potato only days I thought I'd be stuffing my face today but instead have had one egg, 2 tacos/nachos from TB and then some trail mix. The thought of eating anything more today makes me feel queasy. It feels like my stomach has shrunk or something It's an UD too so I'd really like to get some more calories in.

Last edited by mom23kids; 12-06-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #610
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Just to note that some of the folks doing the potato hack did not lose so much weight during their potato days, but went on to lose 3-5 pounds the week afterwards. For sure they didn't gain any back, and many lost more--so be patient and give it a few more days to see where you end up. I notice kind of a delay in my losses--like I stay fairly stable for a few days and then lose.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #611
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
I think I may be one of those people who have to count even potato calories!! My weight loss results aren't the best.

Ended November @ 158.6
Dec. 1 ----159.8----PDD
Dec. 2 ----158.0----PUD
Dec. 3 ----158.6----PDD
Dec. 4 ----157.6----PUD

From the last day of November til today, I lost 1.2 lbs. Maybe the sweet potatoes I ate made the difference? I plan on doing another potato hack, probably after the holidays. At least I do get some relief from craving sweets & a better mood! That's worth a lot to me! Six days on potatoes & 1.2lbs........
I agree with you (more below on my own results). HOWEVER I am VERY curious to see what happens when I go back to a primarily low-carb diet. If I can KEEP off the weight I dropped and be able to have carbs now and then without huge jumps, that will be completely great for me. I also think this is an extremely great way to get a hold on carb cravings. Another tool in the toolbox...

Last edited by shelbyla; 12-06-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #612
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ok y'all. I've been reading and reading here...and have been keeping my Atkins Induction journal over on my blog...and I'm embarrassed to keep jumping back and forth on diets.

But dangit. I started AI 10 days ago at 240.something lbs. Up from my all time low pre-surgery of 218lbs. The lymphedema therapist said I prolly have about 8lbs of fluid in my left arm and back.

I'm one of those people who have to count EVERYTHING and stay very low fat Atkins (40-60% max, the lower the better). But I've been trying to do it like NK and like Atkins wrote it and I just can't do it! I'm now at 247.4 this morning. Holy crap! I CAN'T go over 250 again. I just can't! Mild panic has set in!

So I'm trying the potato hack for JUDDD. It may totally screw my T2. Can't tell cuz don't have strips and no budget to buy any at the moment.

Sooooo....today is my first PDD. I figure I will have to just jump back to JUDDD and go from there.

So to be clear, there are some doing multiple potato only days, and not doing caloric rotation. There are some doing JUDDD rotations using only potatoes for both UD and DD. And there are some doing PDD only and regular food on UD? Did I get that right?

So of those three variables, which group is seeing the best results?

I have red potatoes here leftover from Thanksgiving. So I'm using them up. Had thought I would need to throw them away! Ha! Good save!

So far today: I was quite hungry so as a quick fix, made a microwave tater to get me started. Then put in more for roasting. So the remaining totals will be roasted weight reports.

12:45pm - 4.5oz Red Potato Raw wt.
2:00pm - 2.3oz Red Potato Baked wt.

So far I'm vaguely peckish but not starving. And am a bit sleepy but I haven't been sleeping good since surgery and this is about the time of day when I have to take a small rest and a tiny 30 minute power nap.

Am I crazy for jumping off AI/NK and doing this with my T2 issues? If you look at for 500 calories DD - that's about 19.5oz of cooked red potato and accounts for about 112g of carbs for the day with about 12g of fiber (I eat the skin). So it's about 100g of Net Carbs. When I JUDDD, I eat about 40-60% Fat and eat about 40-60g of net carbs and still lose and my A1c is about 5.9 eating that way.

Advice welcome!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 12-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #613
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pooti! I think you would be perfect for the tater hack!

I agree that this seems to work very well for the fat-adapted folks, so just take the plunge and enjoy!

Oh, and I wouldn't count calories at all. I would just eat to hunger. Just like Ouis.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #614
Blabbermouth!!!

So, update on me. I said (maybe only to myself?) that if I lost more than a pound this morning, I would continue on potatoes for at least a half day and maybe a full day today. Well this morning, I lost 1.4 pounds for the largest drop of the last 3 PDs. This puts me at exactly 3 pounds down from Monday morning--BUT that was the three pounds that I jumped up overnight from Sunday to Monday. Three days of potatoes to just get back to where I was Saturday??? Not sure that it's entirely worth it. This IS very easy for me though and my yoga date canceled on me tonight so today will be another full day of potatoes and tomorrow will be back to eating generally low carb. Tomorrow will be the test to see if I dip lower today and get UNDER 145 (145.5 this morning). Saturday will be the test to see if I lose more, bounce right back up or have digestive issues with re-adding fat, or if I can stick any loss I get with no impact. Sunday will be the day after Saturday night drinking and the test to see if this has helped my sensitivity to booze and the bg swings that usually follow ingesting it. Any way you slice it, I'm excited that I did this and seeing some super interesting things come out of it. Maybe more to come...

A couple of notes:
- I slept very well again last night, despite having caffeine around 6pm, and only got up once shortly before the alarm.
- Yep, the feet thing is still weirding me out. It's like my feet have gotten more narrow or something. Wearing another pair of shoes today that feel odd. I tell ya, if there are any toe wiggling contests going on right now, I WIN...
- Still feeling chilly, which I would expect on low calories (averaging around 650 per day), and my temps have dipped (thyroid).
- Worked out again this morning. No performance impact.
- Blood sugar and insulin spikes in general seem to be leveling off as the days go past. I am seeing less and less of a spike immediately after I eat. For you biochemists, does this mean that insulin sensitivity is increasing??? (And yes, fingers are bruised and SORE!)

Fasting bg - 84
Post coffee/meds - 82
Pre-lunch (12pm) - 75
Post-lunch (1:15pm) - 115

And on we go! Have a great one...SPUDDDs!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 7 - 02/16/14, 33 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~175->???
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #615
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Ok y'all. I've been reading and reading here...and have been keeping my Atkins Induction journal over on my blog...and I'm embarrassed to keep jumping back and forth on diets.

But dangit. I started AI 10 days ago at 240.something lbs. Up from my all time low pre-surgery of 218lbs. The lymphedema therapist said I prolly have about 8lbs of fluid in my left arm and back.

I'm one of those people who have to count EVERYTHING and stay very low fat Atkins (40-60% max, the lower the better). But I've been trying to do it like NK and like Atkins wrote it and I just can't do it! I'm now at 247.4 this morning. Holy crap! I CAN'T go over 250 again. I just can't! Mild panic has set in!

So I'm trying the potato hack for JUDDD. It may totally screw my T2. Can't tell cuz don't have strips and no budget to buy any at the moment.

Sooooo....today is my first PDD. I figure I will have to just jump back to JUDDD and go from there.

So to be clear, there are some doing multiple potato only days, and not doing caloric rotation. There are some doing JUDDD rotations using only potatoes for both UD and DD. And there are some doing PDD only and regular food on UD? Did I get that right?

So of those three variables, which group is seeing the best results?

I have red potatoes here leftover from Thanksgiving. So I'm using them up. Had thought I would need to throw them away! Ha! Good save!

So far today: I was quite hungry so as a quick fix, made a microwave tater to get me started. Then put in more for roasting. So the remaining totals will be roasted weight reports.

12:45pm - 4.5oz Red Potato Raw wt.
2:00pm - 2.3oz Red Potato Baked wt.

So far I'm vaguely peckish but not starving. And am a bit sleepy but I haven't been sleeping good since surgery and this is about the time of day when I have to take a small rest and a tiny 30 minute power nap.

Am I crazy for jumping off AI/NK and doing this with my T2 issues? If you look at for 500 calories DD - that's about 19.5oz of cooked red potato and accounts for about 112g of carbs for the day with about 12g of fiber (I eat the skin). So it's about 100g of Net Carbs. When I JUDDD, I eat about 40-60% Fat and eat about 40-60g of net carbs and still lose and my A1c is about 5.9 eating that way.

Advice welcome!
There's people doing a little bit of everything, but I don't know that anyone's actually tracked which method works best? I did two potato only days and did NOT track any calories-however, I think both days ended up being pretty low calories wise because potatoes are really filling and with no fat added their pretty blah tasting-which I think is part of the reason why this works so well And the whole potato thing isn't just a JUDDD idea-I think anyone, on any plan can jump in and try it for just one day or a few days, and it will give your body a bit of a reset. You can then jump right back into your normal plan afterward It's kind of like fasting I think-a short, temporary method to get your weight loss revved up again!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #616
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Shari, I am afraid it is not the sweet potato, so much as some of us lose better with different variations of hacks. The potato hack did not work for everyone over at the MDA either. I may be one that this doesn't work as well.
Thanks, sunday! That helps knowing it's not the sweet potatoes. I really need to spend more time over there reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
If you've come off your potato experiment have you found a major lack of appetite the day after? After two potato only days I thought I'd be stuffing my face today but instead have had one egg, 2 tacos/nachos from TB and then some trail mix. The thought of eating anything more today makes me feel queasy. It feels like my stomach has shrunk or something It's an UD too so I'd really like to get some more calories in.
Actually, I think I started thinking about food last night that I haven't eaten in a while!! So, I was ready for something different this morning. But, I didn't eat anything until about 1:30pm. I ate a sandwich made on a Pocket Thin. Just ham & mustard. It tasted so good! But, I will eat something for supper & see where I am after that. I was going to do an UD today, then, decided on a DD..........then, decided on a MD to change my days for the holidays, plus, to get me back to normal rotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Just to note that some of the folks doing the potato hack did not lose so much weight during their potato days, but went on to lose 3-5 pounds the week afterwards. For sure they didn't gain any back, and many lost more--so be patient and give it a few more days to see where you end up. I notice kind of a delay in my losses--like I stay fairly stable for a few days and then lose.
Now, ouiz, that would be wonderful!!! I'm curious to see what follows the potato hack! I'll keep you posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
I agree with you (more below on my own results). HOWEVER I am VERY curious to see what happens when I go back to a primarily low-carb diet. If I can KEEP off the weight I dropped and be able to have carbs now and then without huge jumps, that will be completely great for me. I also think this is an extremely great way to get a hold on carb cravings. Another tool in the toolbox...
I agree about getting a better hold on carbs. Although, I had added more carbs to my diet with JUDDD & was losing weight. I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it, huh? But, I did start JUDDD doing low carb. I think I'll go back & read my first days on JUDDD & see what I was doing. I need all the tools I can get!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #617
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Very very good to know Oius. That would be SUPER cool! When you say the above bolded part, is that AFTER your PDs when you go back to regular eating that you STS for a few days then drop, or is it DURING your PDs that you STS then when you go back to regular eating, you drop?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #618
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
That's some potato diet you're on!
It is a Potato Down Day Hack...

If anyone missed it, I did one potao and 3 glasses of wine/champagne today.

Last edited by Kissa; 12-06-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #619
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
It is a Potato Down Day Hack...
Old 12-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #620

Got to make your own.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #621
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Cindy - what did the scale show?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #622

I'll tell you in the morning......... hic.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #623
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I JUDD budds. I thought I would chime in on my experience with the great potato hack.
I did this last Mon-Wed and lost 5 lbs. Not sure if it was a success or fail for me. I gave it a try because I'm Irish.

I still did my IF with the same 8 hour window. I couldn't hack the potatoes only and caved at dinner time and ate some meat. I also at a few small salads with ranch when I felt my stomach chewing on itself. I'd say I ate about 4 large red potatoes a day. My calories were not extremely low. I ate some skin on fried chicken and high fat Ranch dressing.

My blood sugar was all over the place. Woke up Wed. and checked because I had such a bad headache. Fasting was 125. I ate normal meat and veggies for lunch. I ate a potato at about 2PM and checked my sugar at 3PM. It was 145. Checked at 4 and it was down to 90. I'm not diabetic but must be on my way to insulin resistance.

The 5 lbs. has not come back on though!!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #624
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Doing another drive by to say check out the front page of Paleo Hacks--potato report near the top!

I also meant to add re. the Perfect Health Diet that many many folks claim that adding the rice and potato made their sugar cravings disappear. Fascinating!

Thanks for the Mercola/Jaminet video tip! I'll watch that while working tonight!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #625
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Erin--I know the BS bounces and hunger are scary, but seem to be what people experience the first couple of days. It is very possible it might settle down after a few days--just a thought--
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #626
Blabbermouth!!!

Ouis - Just wanted to let you know that I shamelessly plagiarized you over on the hCG forum and quoted the insulin spiking/vacuuming/ketosis theory you posted earlier. Hope you don't mind (I didn't quote you by name!).
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #627
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I'll tell you in the morning......... hic.
Very curious about this myself. Keep us posted!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #628
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
My 1st Potato hack is done (Mon-Thurs)--I'm down 4 pounds. Going to relax over the weekend and try another couple days next week and see how it goes. I'm curious to see what the scale says come Sunday...

Pros: Big time appetite killer, really enjoyed malt vinegar on cold potatoes!
Cons: Couldn't get rid of the bloat. My fingers are still looking like sausages.

If anything, I think potatoes will be the main staple for my DDs....I was really suprised how full I felt with a potato.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #629
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post

Ended November @ 158.6
Dec. 1 ----159.8----PDD
Dec. 2 ----158.0----PUD
Dec. 3 ----158.6----PDD
Dec. 4 ----157.6----PUD

oh shari!! Sorry to hear that... I am doing potatoes only on DD maybe that might help? might be more tolerable. But I am no expert either!!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
I'm doing my first potato DD today. I'm adhering to my 500 calorie limit. Have had potatoes with salt/pepper/malt vinegar today. What is surprising, is that I didn't get that "I've gotta have sugar NOW" feeling after eating my potato around 12:00 today. Normally, I gotta have it. Strange. I just finished my last taters for the day. Lapped it up and didn't even save the dogs their bite. It's all MINE. :-)
Closed Thread