Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #571
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Woke up this morning to another new low-154lbs, for a loss of 1.5 since yesterday So for the two days I've had a loss of 4lbs, though 2 of those were from a big weekend bounce.

I had originally planned on doing four days of potatoes, but I'm done after two. I want to experiment with fixed day rotations so I'm moving on to that. However, I really do think the potato hack works and I might incorporate 1-2 days of it each month, just to shake things up I am doing a normal UD today and I am interested to see what my weight is tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Post-PDD2

Well, after feeling so hungry yesterday morning, I had a cuppa “proper” tea and didn't feel hungry at all till late afternoon!

I ate a cup of steamed potatoes with salt and vinegar at 3.30, then wasn't really hungry again till 10pm. How bizarre! More so because I had a resting day, so didn't have lots of activity to take my mind off my stomach.

I slept well last night and wasn't hungry this morning either, which was surprising because I was ravenous after the first PDD! My stomach is just starting to hint that it might like something other than water, though if I didn't need to start getting in my UD calories, I'd probably be ok with a cuppa for an hour or two.

So I've to decide whether to continue the potato fast till dinner time, then have some buttery veggies and protein to make a healthy UD, or to play it straight and have some eggs and toast now.

Decisions, decisions …............

Decided to have a cuppa while I catch up on this thread.

The toast won!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #573
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: crazynanc
Stats: 148/144/113
WOE: JUDDD/FastFive/5:2
Start Date: November 2011
So this is day 4 of the potato hack for me:

Day 1 - starting weight 145lbs

- medium white potato 10:30AM
- 2 medium white potatoes at 1:30PM (thought my stomach was going to burst...like literally. and tons of bloating...I thought I was going to lose the button on my jeans!)
- medium white potato 3:30PM
- by 5 I was craving so bad.....what? I'm not sure. but I had some peanut butter in my drawer...next thing I know, I've eaten 2 tbsps of it.
- then I got home from work and figured I already screwed it up so I had half a chipotle burrito bowl (no cheese, no sour cream)

Day 2 -weight...143lbs! (now, I haven't been JUDDing for a few weeks and Thanksgiving and all so it could just be calorie restriction/water weight)

- medium white potato 1:30PM
- dinner at home (korean food)

Day 3 - weight = 141.5lbs

- dinner at home = angel hair with shrimp and tomatoes w/ onions

Day 4 - weight = 139.5!!!!!

So even though I haven't been sticking with it completely, I'm still losing weight! Now it could just be water weight. I'm going to stick with it for now...maybe do a real potato day. None of the dinner's I've had have fat really (except those spoonfuls of peanut butter).

The first day the bloating was killing me but since then no bloating. And the best part is that I'm not hungry! Oh, I've had all my potatoes boiled then cold in the fridge.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Potato Hack, Day 7

1. Feel puffy this morning, and weight has stayed the same as yesterday, after a DDish potato day. So interesting. It'll be fascinating to see whether this changes or not tomorrow.

2. I read Pat's thoughts about some people being happier on carbs and I think, Oh, is THIS what you're all talking about?! Before this, introducing carbs or grains has made me happy for about 45 seconds, at which point I begin an unhappy craving for sugar. I'm excited about learning how to incorporate this new kind of happiness into my Juddd routine.

3. Eating according to hunger results in a kind of UD-DD pattern for me. It's not as polarized as the JUDDD pattern, but it's there. I don't know whether this is because I'm a JUDDDer or whether this'd happen to anybody. Interesting.

4. I'll be done the experiment sometime before a family brunch on Sunday. Every day, so far, I wake up and think, oooo, I think I have a little bit to learn doing this, yet. And I have no desire for anything but potatoes, yet. Crazy.

5. Thanks for the Perfect Health diet, or whatever it's called. (Was that Sunday? I don't know how to check without losing the entire post.) I love researching how this learning might fit into a slightly more varied diet.

6. I keep thinking about Ouiz's idea that both this and the LC approaches are about vacuuming up glucose and improving insulin mechanics. Maybe other hormonal mechanics, too. If each of us is different (genetically, not to mention our fat levels, activity levels, age, and our dietary history and damage), maybe we're each finding the perfect, winding path toward best possible physiology and biochemistry. Maybe Nancy's elephant is the ideal we're headed toward and the hundreds of paths leading there.

It makes me so happy to be a part of this supportive, intelligent, creative, open, exploring community.

Happy day, potato heads, carb heads, fat heads , protein heads, UD heads, DD heads, ....
Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #575
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
It's so interesting to see people's experience with this experiment!

Last edited by mom23kids; 12-06-2012 at 07:41 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #576
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am up on the scale this morning following a DD but thinking back this is what happens when I use gluc and I have been using it to make my faux cream of potato soup. It will go away but looks bad for a few days.
Had hash browns cooked on my George Foreman grill that I dug out yesterday. had room to make enough for DH at the same time over the little sandwich maker.
Have boiled taters in the work frig for today.
Today is an UD but for some reason it feels like a DD. I am confusing myself.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I love reading everyone's results! Congrats to all the Spud buds!

I have finished my 4 days of potato eating and weighed in this morning at 148.8 pounds. My starting weight was 154.8. So I lost 6 pounds in 4 days.
I will definitely use this spud hack on my DD's as I was amazed at how little hunger I had eating potatoes. It did not work for UD's at all as I could not eat even up to 1000 calories. I am a little worried that doing this too often could train my body to live off less calories so will keep this as an occasional weight correction tool.
I still haven't decided if I should do today as a PDD as we have our first Christmas party to go to tomorrow night and it would be great to have that be an UD. I do have a bowl of cold potatoes in the fridge...
Also, I have been pre-cooking the potatoes and reheating them in the microwave before eating them out of the fridge. I always eat them with lots of salt and malt vinegar. Very repetitive but I am just doing this for the weight loss and it has worked fine for me.
Thank you Ouiz for this fantastic idea!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #578
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I am SO happy for this incredible group of losers! You Spuddds are amazing lab rats!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #579
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Potato Hack, Day 7

4. I'll be done the experiment sometime before a family brunch on Sunday. Every day, so far, I wake up and think, oooo, I think I have a little bit to learn doing this, yet. And I have no desire for anything but potatoes, yet. Crazy.

5. Thanks for the Perfect Health diet, or whatever it's called. (Was that Sunday? I don't know how to check without losing the entire post.) I love researching how this learning might fit into a slightly more varied diet.

6. I keep thinking about Ouiz's idea that both this and the LC approaches are about vacuuming up glucose and improving insulin mechanics. Maybe other hormonal mechanics, too. If each of us is different (genetically, not to mention our fat levels, activity levels, age, and our dietary history and damage), maybe we're each finding the perfect, winding path toward best possible physiology and biochemistry. Maybe Nancy's elephant is the ideal we're headed toward and the hundreds of paths leading there.

It makes me so happy to be a part of this supportive, intelligent, creative, open, exploring community.

Happy day, potato heads, carb heads, fat heads , protein heads, UD heads, DD heads, ....
This is excellent! Watching all of you has me very excited to try this and see my results! Love sweet potatoes and would enjoy a trial with sweets.

Anyone interested in learning about potatoes as it relates to "The Perfect Health" by Dr. Paul Jaminet. Go to youtube and type in Mercola interviews Paul Jaminet. Jaminet had some major health issues from being on longterm anti-biotics for chronic infections due to a poor diet and this is what motivated him to research healing his ailments with nutrition. In the process, he and his wife have lost weight to their perfect weight and healed all of the physical ailments. In brief his diet has taken paleo woe and refined it by incorporating some of eastern medicine/diet (asian) healing with nutrition. A lot of his followers, say that once starting the Perfect Health diet they were able to get instant relief from Crohn's. Very interesting what Jaminet has to say about breastmilk nutrition and glucose as it relates to our daily carb needs.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #580
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Kristin, just curious about your family brunch? Since you have been on a mono diet of taters, will you have a breaking of the fast before you attend the brunch? I would like to know how that works for you!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #581
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I'll let you know. No plan yet. I did just pick up a HUGE sweet potato with the groceries (which included three kinds of Haagen Daz - no idea how to spell that - for my lovely man). Now there's a guy who loves carbs and is as skinny as a toothpick.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #582
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
I'm joining the potato revolution, at least for today...Today is a DD for me. Will do a regular UD tomorrow.

Are you guys who are doing this on a DD adhering to your DD calories, or just eating when hungry..?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #583
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynanc View Post
So this is day 4 of the potato hack for me:

Day 1 - starting weight 145lbs

- 2 medium white potatoes at 1:30PM (thought my stomach was going to burst...like literally. and tons of bloating...I thought I was going to lose the button on my jeans!)
- by 5 I was craving so bad.....what? I'm not sure. but I had some peanut butter in my drawer...next thing I know, I've eaten 2 tbsps of it.
- then I got home from work and figured I already screwed it up so I had half a chipotle burrito bowl (no cheese, no sour cream)

Day 2 -weight...143lbs! (now, I haven't been JUDDing for a few weeks and Thanksgiving and all so it could just be calorie restriction/water weight)

- medium white potato 1:30PM
- dinner at home (korean food)

Day 3 - weight = 141.5lbs

- dinner at home = angel hair with shrimp and tomatoes w/ onions

Day 4 - weight = 139.5!!!!!

So even though I haven't been sticking with it completely, I'm still losing weight! Now it could just be water weight. I'm going to stick with it for now...maybe do a real potato day. None of the dinner's I've had have fat really (except those spoonfuls of peanut butter).

The first day the bloating was killing me but since then no bloating. And the best part is that I'm not hungry! Oh, I've had all my potatoes boiled then cold in the fridge.
That is awesome Crazynanc! Hope it's not just water weight but even if it is...its' still good!! ANd your eating fat!!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #584
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I love reading everyone's results! Congrats to all the Spud buds!

I have finished my 4 days of potato eating and weighed in this morning at 148.8 pounds. My starting weight was 154.8. So I lost 6 pounds in 4 days.
I will definitely use this spud hack on my DD's as I was amazed at how little hunger I had eating potatoes. It did not work for UD's at all as I could not eat even up to 1000 calories. I am a little worried that doing this too often could train my body to live off less calories so will keep this as an occasional weight correction tool.
I still haven't decided if I should do today as a PDD as we have our first Christmas party to go to tomorrow night and it would be great to have that be an UD. I do have a bowl of cold potatoes in the fridge...
Also, I have been pre-cooking the potatoes and reheating them in the microwave before eating them out of the fridge. I always eat them with lots of salt and malt vinegar. Very repetitive but I am just doing this for the weight loss and it has worked fine for me.
Thank you Ouiz for this fantastic idea!!!
Congrats!!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos0100 View Post
I'm joining the potato revolution, at least for today...Today is a DD for me. Will do a regular UD tomorrow.

Are you guys who are doing this on a DD adhering to your DD calories, or just eating when hungry..?
I am doing DD with potaoes only and up days with regular food. I count cals on both days. welcome to potato land!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Well I had my first gain. It's still pretty awesome! usually I gain 1 to 1.5 post up day. I had puffins cereal and milk, pear, peanut butter jelly, baked breaded fish, salad, 1 potato with fish dinner, 1 bag potato chips, some snow peas. The day started off good but then around 2 pm I got stressed out and all of a sudden I felt that hunger creep up on me. decided to have the pear with PBand J. Well it really intensified my hunger! I think I should stay away from jelly. only had 1 tbsp. Boy I love BPJ!! I drank lots of water. by dinner I was staving. forced myself to eat a salad, then fish and potato, finally 1 hr after dinner I was not hungry. My last up day I had a potato for lunch. I wonder if that might help my cravings next time or maybe it was the sugar. Have also been trying to staying away from bread. Have not tried the non stick spoary yet. NO fats! just ketchup, salsa etc.

Today is my DD potato only day so tomorrow will be very interesting since it will be my official potato day results since all my bloat is gone! I think even if I don't have a dramatic loss the potato rotations are really helping me control my cals which is helping me stay on juddd....

Stats:
12/2 173.5 potato only day , about 700 cals no fat
12/3 170.5 lost 3lbs! regular up day foods about 2000 cals (bloat wt loss)
12/4 170.0 lost .5 lbs!!! had several bm's yesterday? no headache pDD 700 cals
12/5 168.5 lost 1.5lb last of the bloat weight 1800 cals
12/6 169.0 gain .5lb after up day

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #587
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
My gain following yesterday's DD might just be water since I have made a trip to the bathroom every 30 minutes this morning. I have not had that much to drink today so it isn't that.
Had a snack potato at 11 with lemon pepper seasoning since I was feeling a tad hungry and since it is an UD I can do that.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #588
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I didn't do a PUD yesterday and I don't know if I can claim a PDD for today. I have have one potato and wine...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #589
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

Anyone interested in learning about potatoes as it relates to "The Perfect Health" by Dr. Paul Jaminet. Go to youtube and type in Mercola interviews Paul Jaminet. .
Sunday, this interview was excellent! Thanks. I'll end my tater bash by giving his ideas a try. Wonderful, wonderful!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Can I ask what's probably a really dumb question?

What is a "hack?"
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I have have one potato and wine...
That's some potato diet you're on!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #592
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LadyKT
Stats: 159/153/125 - 5'3"
WOE: Ah Ah Ah Ah Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive.
Oh gosh, i'm late to the 'potato party' and am a bit confused

Is it just potatoes, just baked, no butter, no salt on DDs?

Just asking because my office cafe makes WONDERFUL 'breakfast potatoes" with peppers & onions and it's just so yummy. I could possibly eat that all day on a DD!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #593
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I managed to get through last night even with the hunger and it's gone this morning. I lost another .4, so that makes 2.4 in 3 days. That particular number I have been STUCK at is where I am AT this morning. This is where the rubber meets the road. So far in 3 full-on PD's have brought me to where 2 DD and 1 UD usually get me and then this is where I can't get any farther. If I was observing JUDDD, today would be an UD, but I decided to play it by "ear" and see how I am feeling. I am nearly out of potatoes, have one small dish cooking and one cold one left. As someone else mentioned, my UD and DD feelings have gotten kind of mixed up. Monday was a PDD, for sure. Tuesday, would have been an UD but I just couldn't eat. Yesterday I felt I ate way more, but alas I didn't really track it, so I don't know. I just KNOW I ate more and I felt like it should have been an UD. I know I couldn't have eaten my real UD calories, but I definitely ate more than the previous 2 days, and I felt hungry, like I should have been eating more.

I decided to start my morning with 30g of whey protein in my coffee, and I will go 4 hours before I put anything else in my mouth. My "theory" is that if I decide to eat "MOAR POTATOES" today, it will be long after that protein is digested. I could continue this pretty long term if I make this change. I just feel I need more protein than occur only in potatoes.

FUTURE PLANS and BREAK: I have a dinner out Friday night and a friend from PA just messaged me that he is coming into town and wants to take us out for dinner Saturday, and I already had plans for study group (LAST CLASS TUESDAY FOR MY DEGREE !!!WOOP!) already with gluten-free pizza and veggie snacks Sunday. Therefore, PD's will get interrupted for me past today.

SINCE I want to GET PAST THIS STUCK-NESS however, I will resume PD's on Monday with whey protein 4 hours away from potatoes next week and hope that I don't gain back up above this stuck number more than a pound so that next week I can slide down past it. Going to buy some sweet potatoes now for hashbrowns tonight!!!!!

THOUGHTS: I feel a weird kind of food freedom that I don't believe I have ever felt before. I feel like I could actually do a juice fast or an all veggie fast for a few days now. I have a vitamix and could make veggie smoothies pretty easy. I have had an eating disorder in the past and along with poor health, weird hormones, BG crashes with hypoglycemia, it is something I have always wanted to do but was afraid it would bring up old demons. I may incorporate that with a potato now and then for the satiety factor and just face that fear now. Life is too short to be afraid!

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #594
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
Can I ask what's probably a really dumb question?

What is a "hack?"
Hello buttah,
It is just a short break/trial of what you have been doing, to switch up your metabolism or ramp up.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #595
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have done eggfasts and nut days in the same manner that they are doing the potato hack with rather good results. I am very interested in trying this because of the feelings of well-being and generally good weight losses! Since my plan is to go into maintenance on Dec. 20 through Jan 3. I think the potato hack for 4 days next week would be a perfect chance to try and dip down lower before the celebrations with family and friends.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #596
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kaos0100
Stats: 415/269/
WOE: JUDDD - started 6/25/12
Start Date: 3/27/12
I weighed 3 potatoes this morning, came to 15 ounces. Threw them in a WalMart bag to bring to work. Guess one must have rolled out in the floorboard. Came in to cook in the microwave and only had 2 potatoes. Cooked them in the microwave and placed in refrigerator to cool. I've been slightly heating up small amounts every few hours and adding salt/pepper/malt vinegar.

I just realized about an hour ago that I have had NO craving for sugar and that is highly unusual for me. Tomorrow will be an UD and I'm sure after lunch especially I will be looking for the sugar.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #597
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
SINCE I want to GET PAST THIS STUCK-NESS however, I will resume PD's on Monday with whey protein 4 hours away from potatoes next week and hope that I don't gain back up above this stuck number more than a pound so that next week I can slide down past it. Going to buy some sweet potatoes now for hashbrowns tonight!!!!!

THOUGHTS: I feel a weird kind of food freedom that I don't believe I have ever felt before. I feel like I could actually do a juice fast or an all veggie fast for a few days now. I have a vitamix and could make veggie smoothies pretty easy. I have had an eating disorder in the past and along with poor health, weird hormones, BG crashes with hypoglycemia, it is something I have always wanted to do but was afraid it would bring up old demons. I may incorporate that with a potato now and then for the satiety factor and just face that fear now. Life is too short to be afraid!
I am curious how the addition of protein goes? I have a fear of letting go of protein for potatoes only. However, I don't have any issues with releasing the fat. I drink fat free creamer in coffee when needed.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #598
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
@Sunday, I know what you mean about fat. I can let it go short term for sure. Even though I know our brains need it, so I am not thinking that is a long-term solution. I plan on switching out fat for carbs on my days off PD. I don't have a lot of whey protein so I plan on using only 1 1/2 scoops for PD's. Obviously regardless of what I am doing I will track calories. There's no point in doing any of this if I am consuming too much of anything.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #599
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKT View Post
Oh gosh, i'm late to the 'potato party' and am a bit confused

Is it just potatoes, just baked, no butter, no salt on DDs?

Just asking because my office cafe makes WONDERFUL 'breakfast potatoes" with peppers & onions and it's just so yummy. I could possibly eat that all day on a DD!
I am no expert but I think the key is no fat. I have been having tons of salt on these potato days and losing.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #600
Major LCF Poster!

Jaminet's video interview is 90 mins but if you're short of time, there's a transcript of a more recent one. Google "Dr Paul Jaminet discusses the benefits of a healthy diet".
Some interesting stuff about carbs and glucose.
Closed Thread