Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Good day all my potato budds! Yesterday was my first UD, and I ate all regular foods, including a pear, salad, milk, fajitas with chicken, sour cream, oils ..yummy! Woke up yesterday with energy for some odd reason. Joy joy similar to what you are posting!! It went away after lunch. My cravings were much better controlled. When I starting to get hungry for lunch I told myself i had to wait to get some food and I actually waited. Usually I would just grab anything. instead I chose a nice salad with one baked potato. That was a surprise. I tried to choose healthier options and avoided junk foods to also help my cravings. was worried if I had something too sweet it would awaken the hungry monster. the potatoes got my bowels moving! had 3 bm's in 1 day, not normal! I thought for sure I would have a bounce on the scale today with at least 1.5 lbs, but to my surprise no bouce but a lose!! I have heard some of you say such as Ouizoid mention that they continue to lose post potato day....maybe its just the BM wt or addional loss...don't know. In the past no matter how my digestion dept was I would still have a bounce.

Since this was such a success I will try to do another fat free potato day unless I give up and decide to add fat.

Thanks again Ouizoid for this amazing potato diet!! I started a stat chart for you guys. would love to see all of yours!!!

Stats:
12/2 173.5 potato only day , about 700 cals no fat
12/3 170.5 lost 3lbs! regular up day foods about 2000 cals (bloat wt loss)
12/4 170.0 lost .5 lbs!!! had several bm's yesterday? no bounce

What ever you are craving now will be there for you to eat when you are done losing weight!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #452
Senior LCF Member

Have people had success with wt loss using fat free chicken broth? So far I know Adi is using it with success. Is it now "approved".

I am on the fence whether to use it or not. would really help my potatoes taste better.

Also do the hashbrowns need to be boiled before they are cooked?
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #453
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Rats! Just, just, just gave away my waffle iron after about seven years of zero use! Ha! Maybe the George Forman thing will do.

Potato Hack (I love saying that) Day 5 (How can it be day 5 already?!?)

Observations/Blatherings

1. Heaps of excellent, consistent, happy energy. This is my favourite result so far.
1 prime. No more headache or puffball eyes (which may or may not have had anything to do with this experiment). Happy day!
2. Weight loss is good, 2.3 pounds since day three! (I foolishly wasn't weighing before that, and I was getting porky, so this is lovely.)
3. Potatoes are still delicious.
4. Hunger is much less intrusive as this progresses.
5. I have no cravings for anything else. None. Bizarro. I feel as though I'm on some perfect drug or something.
Kristen good for you!!! You are really rockin this potato hack...Potatoes not Prozac
Old 12-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #454
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
remember to get the best from this you want the GI of the potaotes, high, not low. Counter-intuitive but you need the big spike to take the stored fat to clear the blood
Hmmm, I was wondering about this? So I have been guiding my friend to eat her potatoes cold, but she would get better results hot? Just checking!

She lost 1.6 lbs after 1/2 potato day yesterday, but she detests cold taters. She also has sugar addiction issues. So I am praying for her to get some relief!

I have loved watching how others are doing on this! I have decided that I may actually jump in next week and try this with sweet potatoes/squash. Also, my plan is to go to maintenance from Dec 20 - Jan 3, so I am really thinking this would be a great entrance to maintenance!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 12-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #455
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Finished my second PDD yesterday of 350 calories. No hunger issues at all. My weight this morning was 151.0 pounds for a loss of 3.8 pounds since Sunday. Eating potatoes all the time is certainly not my idea of a good time but if the weight loss sticks and I can go back to regular foods and maintenance calories again for Christmas than I am thrilled! I am starting my 4th day of the potato hack and I am interested to see if I can get to my UD calorie goal. Today is also a run day so that should be interesting. My December month weight goal for JUDDD was to get under 150 again so I might get there in a week which is just crazy.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #456
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post
Have people had success with wt loss using fat free chicken broth? So far I know Adi is using it with success. Is it now "approved".

I am on the fence whether to use it or not. would really help my potatoes taste better.

I have been shredding the raw potato and cooking them in my sandwich maker. Just my way.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I have been using all sorts of fat free low calorie condiments: broth, salsa, butter spray, gravy (15 calories/0 fat for 1/4 cup), sf ketchup, queso dip, yada yada. It hasn't affected my losses. YMMV. I figure if I am not adding fat or substantial protein, it is all good.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #458
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post

when I did a potato day last week I ended the day with a bowl of chicken broth and I lost weight, so it didn't seem to affect anything-the kind I used had 1g of fat per serving.

For hash browns-I just shred them with my cheese grater and dry fry them on a frying pan, with a bit of non-stick spray. However, while this seems to work well with small potatoes (like white ones), I tried it this morning with a larger russet and it didn't cook all the way through-turned out mushy and bleh tasting. From now on I will only use small potatoes for hash browns!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #459
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Would you be able to use Ore Ida frozen hash browns? Or is this only going to work with fresh? She is definitely not going to take the time to shred potatoes, but if the frozen ones would suffice.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #460
Senior LCF Member

Congrast barb! wow 3.8 lbs!! Thanks so much adi, ouizoid and sara. So excited to hear I can add pretty much any thing that is fat free and I will try the hashbrowns with small potatoes.

Now the question is... I wonder what's happening to the folks that are adding fats. That will be an interesting experiement to see. Does it halt the wt loss or slow it...

I will start adding fat free stuff, but if worst comes to worse. I will add fat and let you guys know what happens.

Since I am judding with potatoes on my low day I keep telling myself just add the fat since you are counting calories anyways. But the other side of me keeps telling me to not add the fat because it might ruin my potato experiement and I might start getting hungry again on my dd's...

Will be interesting to see what happens to your wt loss with the small amount of garlic oil kissa used.

Stats:
12/2 173.5 potato only day , about 700 cals no fat
12/3 170.5 lost 3lbs! regular up day foods about 2000 cals (bloat wt loss)
12/4 170.0 lost .5 lbs!!! had several bm's yesterday? no bounce

Last edited by cuttie99; 12-04-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Barb, I would love to hear how it goes with your run! I am curious if it is more difficult without the protein/fat in your diet.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #462
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

richard nikolay adds 1 tsp fat per potato and has had good results. I really think this is an individual thing. As always with any "diet" I suggest doing it the way it is written for several days, just to get a sense of how the baseline works for you. Then if you want to experiment, go for it. We are all different--a little fat might work great!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
OH MY. I just had sweet potato hashbrowns done in my waffle maker. Yep. YUMMY!

So if I go out to drink tomorrow night with my friends after school, should it be VODKA since it's made from potatoes?

I am curious about the aftereffects of having alcohol as well. Over the holidays my weight is never from the food, as much as it is the indulgence in wine.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Barb, I would love to hear how it goes with your run! I am curious if it is more difficult without the protein/fat in your diet.
I am wondering how it will go as well. It will be 7km's (4.3 miles) with a faster group. Couldn't be any worse than LC, or low calorie. I am also curious what it will do for weight loss.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #465
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/200/180
Is anyone experiencing a bloating problem? I'm on my 2nd PD and I could barely zip up my pants, and my ring barely fit this morning. (and of course, my weight is UP a pound today). I had under 500 calories and just used salt and malt vinegar on my potatoes yesterday. It's TOM but I've never felt a bloat like this with TOM.

Going to try mustard with my potatoes today and see how that goes. I wasn't hungry at all yesterday, so I guess that's the only up side I'm having so far.

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yes Saxy--I think initial bloating is very common. Hang in there--there is an adaptation process--it will come off. I just started back on the PPD ysterday, and I am bloated and up a pound today. No worries!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/200/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
yes Saxy--I think initial bloating is very common. Hang in there--there is an adaptation process--it will come off. I just started back on the PPD ysterday, and I am bloated and up a pound today. No worries!
Thanks! I'm gonna hang in there....my fiancé is doing this too, and he's rockin' this thing!

I love seeing everyone having success with this--Hope I do too, otherwise, I'm going to try an all-chocolate hack.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #468
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I do like the idea of an all chocolate hack.

I have been curious how I will react to this as I have been fat adapted for a while now? Should be interesting!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #469
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday--it may be a bit of a shock to your system--I say don't panic the first couple of days--give yourself time to adapt. Well, that seems to be my mantra to everyone, doesn't it, LOL!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #470
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It will be a shock, except for the fact that I have had some sweet taters sporadically throughout my hfmp run.

I don't know if any of you have known any preppers, but my DH is sort of becoming one in his retirement. He is attempting organic farming and wants to store sweet taters and new taters, as well as carrots and onions. I have always thought this would be a great experiment on how long we could survive on taters or beans & rice.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #471
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
You know what this reminds me of ?? Suzanne Sommers. Didnt she say you could have carbs if you diddnt add fats to them? Of course she didnt put out the repetivness theme but she did have carb meals wih no fat if memory serves me right.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #472
Senior LCF Member

saxy I was bloated too and had a headache. So far today on my potato day I don't feel bloated or headache yet....I did feel a little nausea earlier today but it went away. NO hunger either! its amazing!!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #473
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
richard nikolay adds 1 tsp fat per potato and has had good results. I really think this is an individual thing. As always with any "diet" I suggest doing it the way it is written for several days, just to get a sense of how the baseline works for you. Then if you want to experiment, go for it. We are all different--a little fat might work great!
sounds good, Thanks for the advice. I will do my best...
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
We just finished a HUGE hilly trail hike, during which we got completely lost and had to cut cross country for a bit. I finished feeling fine. Hungry for potatoes, but fine. This part's important for me because I used to get whacked doing workouts and ground myself by eating loads of food afterwards. I'm the only one I've ever met who got fatter running marathons.
I think I'm going to stick with plain potatoes for a few more days, just to see the results. Then maybe I'll go wild and add a yam in there somewhere.
Man, there is definitely a mood-elevating component in this for me. I don't know whether it's potato chemicals or shifting out of LCHF.
Speaking of which, I'm feeling an identity crisis coming on. I believe in everything Taubes, Phinney, and Volek write about, but I'm feeling fantastic on a pure potato diet.
If anybody can help me out of this messy dilemma, I'm all ears.
Happy day, potato buds.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 12-04-2012 at 09:42 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #475
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I too am a happy camper. I am just HAPPY. Driving everyone else crazy that thrives on negatism.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #476
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I too am a happy camper. I am just HAPPY. Driving everyone else crazy that thrives on negatism.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #477
Major LCF Poster!

Kristen- I am so happy to here that you felt fine on your hike. I feel fine with little activity but was worried about the exercise component. Having followed and lost a lot of weight many times on LC it is a little odd to be eating all potatoes for weight loss. I was still feeling a bit concerned with the increase in carbs I have been having with JUDDD but yesterday I was eating 81% carbs!
I vaguely remember Dr Atkins writing that it is the combination of fat, sugar and carbs that caused the worst health problems. I think he was talking about the study of the nurses and cancer risk rates. I may have to start reading again to try to figure out why I am feeling good eating this way temporarily. Maybe Suzanne Summers was promoting a good idea with the food combining rules?
I am feeling happy but a bit confused by the potato weight loss thing.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i seriously think it is the same mechanism, different pathway. Whether you are doing LCHF or the potato diet, you are looking for a mechanism to remove glucose from your bloodstream. JMO, right, but if you are spiking glucose and then quickly clearing it out of your bloodstream by the release of insulin-- or you are suppressing insulin production with fat and less protein---you are still providing yourself with a period of time when glucose isn't hammering at your liver etc.

I was trained in biochem--but 35 years ago, so I will say I am rusty and could be wrong, but my hunch is that all roads lead to rome--right? The No S diet works too (no sweets snacks or seconds)--3 meals no snacks--that is the way everyone ate once upon a time. JUDDD does the same trick. You have a long period of time when glucose is being vacuumed up and is out of your system--then you get fresh supplies (UD) and then you vacuum again. This vacuuming is the trick (IMO). periods of time when we are cleaned out. the potato is a different pathway because it shoots a big bolus of glucose (and not fructose which is important) into us, intensifying (in the absence of fat) the body's insulin response.

Anyhow. I dunno. That is my theory anyhow. It could all be a fairy tale!

Last edited by ouizoid; 12-04-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #479
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Ouiz for pulling that all together. It is always nice to understand why something is working and it sounds like the answer is in your post. I am heading out and have lots to ponder while I munch on my potatoes today. Have a great day everyone
Old 12-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
I'm now done with my experimenting and study on this, my thoughts and results;

For me the weight loss does not stick.

Recovery from resistance training and HiiT impaired, although aerobic work unaffected, in respect of both capacity and recovery.

I'm concerned about the spiking of insulin to this level, I really don't think it's healthy for me. I suspect a blood profile would highlight inflammation markers. This is bore out by general aches and pains in joints and muscle knots in the last few days.

These things are all possibly bespoke to me, this most probably works better for others.

Sunday; I suspect a week of only chocolate would yield weight loss! Via different mechanism, but I suspect a loss all the same.

Good luck all, I will continue to watch with interest.

Not for long!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Kettleboy; 12-04-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Closed Thread