Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #421
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 68KG/63.9/59
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
CUTTIE- No fat, I roast them in spices, herbs and salt. With a little mustard or lc tomato sauce.

MYKIDSTEACHER - It could have been low blood sugar, but i have had tests done (I always thought I had an issue with that!) and my levels are fine. Not to say the potatoes didn't muck it up. But I have a history of low blood pressure and fainting, so i always eat something when I feel like that.

I think tomorrows DD I need to be better prepared. Is anyone havig success just doing PDD and not UD? I am still trying to keep under my DD calories, but am stalling a bit. Is this the fact that I am roasting them and eating them hot? Must they be cold? Thanks Juddys!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #422
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
CUTTIE- No fat, I roast them in spices, herbs and salt. With a little mustard or lc tomato sauce.

MYKIDSTEACHER - It could have been low blood sugar, but i have had tests done (I always thought I had an issue with that!) and my levels are fine. Not to say the potatoes didn't muck it up. But I have a history of low blood pressure and fainting, so i always eat something when I feel like that.

I think tomorrows DD I need to be better prepared. Is anyone havig success just doing PDD and not UD? I am still trying to keep under my DD calories, but am stalling a bit. Is this the fact that I am roasting them and eating them hot? Must they be cold? Thanks Juddys!
I can't imagine eating a cooked potato cold lol. I will be eating all of mine hot!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/212/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I may try this sometime. I'm just wondering what you coffee drinks are doing? I can't drink it black and I can't not drink it. Tried it for one day and it wasn't pretty!
I can't drink my coffee black either, so today wasn't fun skipping it. I did, however, drink a cup of earl grey tea (black) and that seemed to tame the beast a bit. I'm taking this week to try out some new teas--I'm sure I'll be happy to be back to my coffee w/HWC by Friday though.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #424
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I can't imagine eating a cooked potato cold lol. I will be eating all of mine hot!
You would be suprised how good they taste first thing in the morning cold! But boiled and cold I think would get boring for me. I'd give it a go, but I feel like eating them roasted hot or cold will be delish forever
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #425
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ANGIE 43
Black coffee for me, although I did have a sprinkle of flavoured sugarfree coffee mate yesterday in one of them
Old 12-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #426
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbinme View Post
I may try this sometime. I'm just wondering what you coffee drinks are doing? I can't drink it black and I can't not drink it. Tried it for one day and it wasn't pretty!
I have used no-fat cream by Land of Lakes in the past and like it. Especially, if you can't drink coffee/tea black, it is better than no cream. I believe it is 20 cal for 2 tbsp, 3 carbs.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #427
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I eat the potatoes with nofat added. I am having my DD dinner right now. I made cream of potato soup with no cream. I heated one cup of water with a broth cube. Cut up a cold boiled potato in it. Seasoned it. Used the stick blender on it and then added some gluc to thicken. Not a cold meal but it sure is good.

I don't find the potatoes boring either. I use malt vinegar at one meal, lemon pepper seasoning at another and a little ketchup at another and I had no problems reaching my UD calories with plain no fat potatoes.

I am going to continue the DD's as potato days and we shall see about the UD's. Might do at least one per week or either allow myself one UD with whatever I want that day.

Plus they are so easy to take with you and eat. no one notices I am munching a cold boiled potato.
Thanks again Ouizoid. I love experiments. Especially ones that work.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #428
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I have used no-fat cream by Land of Lakes in the past and like it. Especially, if you can't drink coffee/tea black, it is better than no cream. I believe it is 20 cal for 2 tbsp, 3 carbs.
I usually make pumpkin coffee using almond milk but I bet it would work with no-fat cream. I think pumpkin has 0% fat so I think it would be ok?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #429
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Sounds good. I'm only about page 30 of the Moar Tater thread, and so far, no mention of blood sugar issues. Would like to read about people with issues doing this. Thank you for being willing to share your results.

And I'm sure I'm going to still eat potatoes. Just for now, they need to be with protein and fat to slow that sugar spike.
I was doing some research about whether reheating previously cooked and cooed taters would retain the reduced GI they got by cooling them down, and came across some REALLY interesting info about blood glucose, glycemic index, and insulin production--here's a couple links, if anyone with blood sugar issues is interested:
1. fascinating discussion of BG being affected by protein and fat, not just carbs: Protein, Fat, and Blood Sugar
2.considering the source (potato industry white paper) still very interesting info on how taters GI is affected by preparation: http://www.potatogoodness.com/Conten...WhitePaper.pdf
Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #430
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
So far, so good! I had a bit of a low blood sugar shakiness about 2 hours after I ate this morning, but I drank 2 glasses of water, waited awhile, and it passed without further event. I am now eating late lunch/early dinner of some purples and reds, boiled whole in chicken broth with garlic and onion powder, but eaten cold. Both batches of cold potatoes have been smothered in malt vinegar and seasalt. I still have the chicken broth in case I decide I want to turn one meal into soup with reheated potatoes and broth. I have to say my purples are not my favorite. VERY meaty, almost chunky, when cold. Maybe I'll try one reheated at one point. Since today has gone well, I think I will try some sweet potato waffle fries next time I'm hungry tonight. They will be cooked raw and not cooled prior to eating.

No headache, no anything to indicate I haven't had my usual protein of the day. I did have my coffee, BLACK. If I had to hold my nose to get it down, I would have.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain

Last edited by C'Marie; 12-03-2012 at 05:30 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #431
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
hey divine! how interesting and many thanks for digging that up--

I made richard nikolay's most recent version (free the animal). OMG. soooo good. Slice a few taters into thinish slices and lay in ovenproof dish, heavy S&P on layers, cover with two cups of broth (I used chicken with a teeny weeny bit of white wine). Bake for 70 minutes at 400. Top is brown, bottom is creamy and absolutely delish.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #432
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I eat the potatoes with nofat added. I am having my DD dinner right now. I made cream of potato soup with no cream. I heated one cup of water with a broth cube. Cut up a cold boiled potato in it. Seasoned it. Used the stick blender on it and then added some gluc to thicken. Not a cold meal but it sure is good.

I don't find the potatoes boring either. I use malt vinegar at one meal, lemon pepper seasoning at another and a little ketchup at another and I had no problems reaching my UD calories with plain no fat potatoes.

I am going to continue the DD's as potato days and we shall see about the UD's. Might do at least one per week or either allow myself one UD with whatever I want that day.

Plus they are so easy to take with you and eat. no one notices I am munching a cold boiled potato.
Thanks again Ouizoid. I love experiments. Especially ones that work.
wow Adi you must be a good cook! Thanks for the pepper lemon and soup suggestion! I think if I was more creative in the kitchen I would be able to make my potatoes taste better! lol
Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #433
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
I just went over to MRA and the thread I started reading and gave up on had these increadably boring graphs and people were arguimg over whether the right diet was being followed. Am I reading the right thread ??? Please someone give me the name of a good informative not negative thread pleas???
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #434
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon View Post
I just went over to MRA and the thread I started reading and gave up on had these increadably boring graphs and people were arguimg over whether the right diet was being followed. Am I reading the right thread ??? Please someone give me the name of a good informative not negative thread pleas???
Primal Potato Diet (PPD) was the best of the three in my opinion. Is currently on page 2 of the Primal Blueprint Nutrition section.

Last edited by adillenal; 12-03-2012 at 06:26 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #435
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
Well, I have been reading this thread wih interest. I think I will start this. Would egg whites be allowed? Years ago I got a recipe by Oprah's then chef. You cube potatoes and toss them with a well-beaten egg whie, adding salt and pepper. Bake in 400 degree oven until brown and crispy. You really won't miss the oil. My boys used to love these and that is saying something!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #436
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I'm trying this tomorrow. I can have up to 19oz of potato, comes to 500 cal.

What was the result of having them cold? I like leftover baked potato, cold, with some salt. maybe some low sugar ketchup.
?

Soren

p.s. if this works, this will be great for when I travel (and have a kitchen). I.e. next week.

p.p.s: I read part of the PDF linked above, about methods of cooking on GI values, and one part that jumped out at me said that cooking makes the starch more digestible. So raw potato = low GI. Cooked potato = higher GI.
However, a cooked and cooled potato has the process that made the starch available (gelatinization) reversed, and it becomes "resistant starch" again. So cooked and cooled potato = lower GI.

Neat eh?

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)

Last edited by sorenkkg; 12-03-2012 at 08:54 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
I was doing some research about whether reheating previously cooked and cooed taters would retain the reduced GI they got by cooling them down, and came across some REALLY interesting info about blood glucose, glycemic index, and insulin production--here's a couple links, if anyone with blood sugar issues is interested:
1. fascinating discussion of BG being affected by protein and fat, not just carbs: Protein, Fat, and Blood Sugar
2.considering the source (potato industry white paper) still very interesting info on how taters GI is affected by preparation: http://www.potatogoodness.com/Conten...WhitePaper.pdf
cooked and "cooled" taters, I meant "cooled"! Though I am of Irish and German heritage and have been known to coo lovingly to my potatoes!
--patty
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/168.4/140)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
cooked and "cooled" taters, I meant "cooled"! Though I am of Irish and German heritage and have been known to coo lovingly to my potatoes!
--patty
I can "coo" at mine too!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #439
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Someone mentioned squash. Here is what Mary McDougall had to say about winter squash:
Nutrients in Winter Squash (mashed):1

41 Calories in one-half cup

% of calories as protein = 8% (WHO recommendation is 5%)

% of calories as carbohydrate = 90%

% of calories as fat = 2.5%

Cholesterol = 0 mg

Dietary Fiber = 8 grams/100 calories (Milk and Beef = 0 grams)

Calcium = 81 mg/100 calories (Milk = 119 mg/100 calories)

Iron = 1.7 mg/100 calories (Beef = 1.1 mg/100 calories)

Squash is also very low in sodium and high in potassium with an abundance of vitamins (other than B12*) and contains all of the other nutrients essential for excellent health.

*B12 should be added as at least 5 micrograms daily after 3 years on any version of the McDougall Diet or if pregnant or nursing a baby while on the diet.

This was referred in MDA potato thread.....
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #440
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
OH MY. I just had sweet potato hashbrowns done in my waffle maker. Yep. YUMMY!

Shred (use small size shreds if you have a choice) potato or sweet potato. Heat up waffle iron to hotttttt..... spray a little nonstick spray if you want. Mine doesn't matter. Layer the shreds over top of the surface evenly. Shut. I timed mine 4 minutes, then flipped it over and did another 4, because it browns more on the bottom than the top! LOL PERFECT.

Ate with Seasalt, and orange herb tea. Nice midnight snack on potato hack!

I have had 585 calories today. I could've eaten more, but as today would have been my DD anyway, and I wanted to see how little I could get by with, I did it that way. If I hadn't have done the sweet potato hashbrowns here, I could've gone to bed kinda hungry and been fine on 360 calories. Or I could've had another small potato and finished off well under 500. But I wanted to try the hash!

Tomorrow, I will UP my calories though but we'll see how far. I might try a baked dish during the day like oiz posted. And I might bring a soup to school along with some cold ones.

So if I go out to drink tomorrow night with my friends after school, should it be VODKA since it's made from potatoes?

Last edited by C'Marie; 12-03-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #441
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
p.p.s: I read part of the PDF linked above, about methods of cooking on GI values, and one part that jumped out at me said that cooking makes the starch more digestible. So raw potato = low GI. Cooked potato = higher GI.
However, a cooked and cooled potato has the process that made the starch available (gelatinization) reversed, and it becomes "resistant starch" again. So cooked and cooled potato = lower GI.

Neat eh?
Oh, thanks for the explaination! Have baked up 500g of potaoes for tomorrow and will try this again. Prepared for shakes this time! And will eat them ALL cold!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #442
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
remember to get the best from this you want the GI of the potaotes, high, not low. Counter-intuitive but you need the big spike to take the stored fat to clear the blood
Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #443
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Rats! Just, just, just gave away my waffle iron after about seven years of zero use! Ha! Maybe the George Forman thing will do.

Potato Hack (I love saying that) Day 5 (How can it be day 5 already?!?)

Observations/Blatherings

1. Heaps of excellent, consistent, happy energy. This is my favourite result so far.
1 prime. No more headache or puffball eyes (which may or may not have had anything to do with this experiment). Happy day!
2. Weight loss is good, 2.3 pounds since day three! (I foolishly wasn't weighing before that, and I was getting porky, so this is lovely.)
3. Potatoes are still delicious.
4. Hunger is much less intrusive as this progresses.
5. I have no cravings for anything else. None. Bizarro. I feel as though I'm on some perfect drug or something.

I'm lucky. These couple of weeks are really busy doing work in/on the house. No social or work obligations. It's a perfect time for potatoes.

Thanks to everybody for the recipes (though I'm pretty happy with cold boiled P's and fried P's), the research, and the personal experiences.
This is fun.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #444
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettleboy View Post
remember to get the best from this you want the GI of the potaotes, high, not low. Counter-intuitive but you need the big spike to take the stored fat to clear the blood
Thanks, Kettleboy. It's tough to change thinking, isn't it?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #445
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Su11
Stats: Total loss- 65 (since Sept 05)
WOE: General lower carb- fructose limited
Thanks for all the great articles! This is my favorite thread right now!

I've been on this since Thursday of last week and am still down a bit each morning until today. I'm stable today.

I'm not hungry, I eat when I want to. I think yesterday was a bit off because I didn't take enough potatoes with me to work, so I'm prepared today.

Love the way I feel. I'm doing a straight potato diet just to see. My only problem is a bit of digestive gas, but that is very mild, more of an annoyance.

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." (Mae West)
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." (Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #446
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
Well, I have been reading this thread wih interest. I think I will start this. Would egg whites be allowed? Years ago I got a recipe by Oprah's then chef. You cube potatoes and toss them with a well-beaten egg whie, adding salt and pepper. Bake in 400 degree oven until brown and crispy. You really won't miss the oil. My boys used to love these and that is saying something!
Not for the potato Diet. The object is to eliminate protein and fat.
Don't have time for more right now. Off to get ready for work.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #447
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/135/125lbs 60yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
OK, so my first PDD went pretty well. I was apprehensive at first because I had a busy day ahead and was worried the potato wouldn't be sustaining enough and I'd have an energy crash.

When I'd eaten the first batch, at lunchtime, my stomach felt empty and a bit uncomfortable, as if it wasn't quite happy. I was really regretting not having my bullet-proof cocoa!

By 4pm, I was amazed to find that, though I still had an uncomfortable empty feeling, I wasn't actually hungry. I expected to eat about 5.30 but, after a cup of tea with skim milk, I wasn't hungry at all. I eventually ate at 8.30 because I wanted to fit in a dose of potato before bedtime so I could sleep.

After that, I did get slightly hungrier as the evening went on. I ate some more potato at 11.30 and went to bed feeling empty. However, I slept very well and this morning find I've lost 2lbs.

If my estimations were close, I had about 450 calories, including three cups of tea – which I later discovered aren't on the list of permitted ingredients.

I did pee for England yesterday, so I'll see what today's healthy UD does and I'll definitely cook some potatoes ready for tomorrow.

I suspect it actually helped being very busy all afternoon because I couldn't be thinking about how empty my stomach felt before I realised the potatoes were doing their stuff after all!

Ouizoid, thanks for the tip about not counting calories on potato days. I decided to try to keep my JUDDD rotations as straight as possible to begin with but turn the PDD into a normal MD if I found it wasn't working.

I'm having a normal UD today but will try another PDD tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #448
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Starting my 4 day potato hack this morning I had a normal DD yesterday and was really surprised to see that my weight hadn't changed at all this morning, after going up from the weekend-doing a potato hack might be just what I need to get back on track

Starting weight is 158lbs (up from 156.5 on Sunday). I'm not going to count calories/measure my potatoes/follow JUDDD for the next four days-just eat potatoes when I'm hungry.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 AM   #449
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Second PDD for me and am up .4 probably because of the previous UUAAD. Stomach growled which is unusual but not more hungry than usual. I enjoyed my potato "salad" and crisp roasted. Normal UD today and will do another PDD tomorrow
Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #450
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post

When I'd eaten the first batch, at lunchtime, my stomach felt empty and a bit uncomfortable, as if it wasn't quite happy. I was really regretting not having my bullet-proof cocoa!

By 4pm, I was amazed to find that, though I still had an uncomfortable empty feeling, I wasn't actually hungry. I expected to eat about 5.30 but, after a cup of tea with skim milk, I wasn't hungry at all.
Liz, I get what you're saying! It's like a different hunger system, isn't it? And a different kind of fullness. Your description is wonderful.
Closed Thread