Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #391
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I've been a bit disappointed that I haven't had a nice loss after doing 3 PDDs. It may have something to do with not doing them consecutively. I'm doing a beautiful job maintaining, but that's not what I'm in this for!

I have found eating potatoes SO satisfying! I've only had a couple of russets, and a bunch of yukon golds (I'm with you Adi, how have I missed these all these years???). I'm heading off to the store and was resigned to crossing potatoes off the list after weighing this morning, but after reading all your posts, I'm thinking I ought to give cold potatoes a try before completely giving up.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Tina, good point about exercising after eating. I am 100% with your DH about you staying away from carbs in isolation. ...At least until we know a heck of a lot more about this. Obviously some diagnosed diabetics are handling the hack with panache.

Tell you what, I will be our mutual guinea pig: run the test, prick my fingers and write it all down, and see what happens.

From there we can extrapolate your probable results and risk. Then you and DH can make an slightly more informed decision. And you can never eat potatoes again in your whole life.
Sounds good. I'm only about page 30 of the Moar Tater thread, and so far, no mention of blood sugar issues. Would like to read about people with issues doing this. Thank you for being willing to share your results.

And I'm sure I'm going to still eat potatoes. Just for now, they need to be with protein and fat to slow that sugar spike.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #393
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: becksterinindy
Down 2.4 after one day of PD BUT I was carbed up and probably would have seen this result doing a day of any lean low calorie diet

I am having coffee and pondering what to do but since I have so many potatoes and cold ones waiting I will probably continue.

Tina I finally finished the long moar taters thread and saw your posts. Sorry you experienced the high spikes but, like has been said, those of us who don't test have no idea. I do know I had NO symptoms eating them cold but did get a little shaky after eating my freshly made hash browns. Not nearly as bad as a bad "reactive" hypoglycemia but did notice a difference.

Thanks Ouiz ... off to find the odds and ends thread. I swore I'd stop reading on *** b/c I waste so much time but sometimes I can't help myself I do believe that fat+carbs is a recipe for disaster, however, the thought of adding a bit of lean protein is intriguing if I stay on the PD for any length of time. Thanks again for all the info!

Adi you ROCK and it was b/c of you I had cold potatoes ready to start my day yesterday.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
So I gave it a try yesterday and ate only potatoes with malt vinegar and salt. I am down 3 pounds this morning but was also at a new high weight a few days before so it is difficult to determine how much of the drop was due to the potatoes. It was my UD and I did not get to my calorie numbers and it turned more into a MD for me. This is a first as I always get in my calories! it's stopping from going over that is my issue. I also consumed tons of sodium yesterday as each baby potato was nicely seasoned in it so you would think I would be bloated today. Doesn't seem to be the case as my wedding rings are falling off and had to switch them to my right hand which is new too. I am intrigued enough to try another potato day today and see how things go. I am also interested to see if I can do a DD after a low UD or if hunger is an issue. I am a little worried about slowing my metabolism after finally getting it working again on JUDDD so might eat regular food tomorrow. I am undecided so far.
Thanks Ouiz for the idea as I am enjoying having that 3 pounds gone so easily.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
You know, sweet potatoes don't give me near the glucose hit that white ones do. Wonder if I did this with all sweet potatoes if the results would be similar weight-wise, but kinder to my bg readings?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
... By the way, there is a new thread over at *** in the "odds and ends" forum where people are doing variations of the PPD--and reporting their experiments. My experiment this week will be to include sweet potatoes. Some people are adding in a tiny bit of fat (tsp or so per tater), some people are including a few veggies or a wee bit of protein but all are keeping the experiment low in fat. Should be fun to follow as we do our own experimenting over here!
"logic" indicates this should work with the addition of any naturally low fat and low protein veggie. Spuds are so nutrient rich that it is probably safer/healthier to use them as the main course of the hack. But, if I get that far, I plan to try adding steamed leafy veggies at some point.

Adding fat and/or protein probably takes us back into "each individual metabolism" territory (even more than the hack does)

Most of my career & life, has been dedicated to Ketterling's Law: "Logic" is an organized way of going wrong with confidence.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #397
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/223/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
The problem with adding low fat veg is that it blunts the insulin response, potatoes are very high on the GI, add veg, protein or fat it drops down. So if the *** theories are correct, this would kill the effect. Eat potties with skins you'll get a pretty good micro nutrient profile, so short term no issue, other than boredom.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Trying my first PDD today. No battery in my scale, so calorie counting will be even more haphazard than my usual eyeballing method.

I had 7 steamed and cooled small new potatoes with a tspn malt vinegar and sprinkling of Celtic salt at 1pm. I'm hoping that counts as “a large helping” at 165 cals. What does a large helping of new potatoes look like on its own on a small plate??

I was unimpressed at first, as I didn't feel as if I'd eaten anything and thought I'd be starving before the afternoon was out. I was convinced I'd have been better doing my normal DD of bullet-proof cocoa and 130 cals-ish dinner around 5pm.

Well, here I am at 6pm and I'm only just beginning to feel that I should eat my next lot!

Re your headaches: That reminded me of a fast that was recommended in a liver cleanse book. That involved eating nothing but plain brown rice for three days. You could have as much rice as you liked but I only managed till dinner time on the first day. Despite drinking lots of water, I developed such a disabling sick headache that I had to abandon the plan. That's how detoxing the rice was! I haven't tried it since, though I'm glad to say my liver seems to be in better shape anyway.

No headaches today, thank goodness. Hope I can sleep tonight though. I usually have a bit of cheese at bedtime! I'll let you know tomorrow how it all went.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #399
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Lot's of new posts this morning(afternoon?)

I'm down 2.8 pounds after 2 days of PD. I cannot eat my full amount of calories on my UD's while just eating potatoes. I tried & couldn't make myself eat another one!! But, I ate a few extra calories on my DD.

As for eating sweet potatoes? I ate 170 grams of sweet potato, no skin, yesterday. I plan to continue to eat them & see what happens. They sure break up the monotony of plain potatoes. Tho I do love the yukon golds! I tried ACV on a couple of potatoes last night & did not like it at all! So, I hope I can find some malt vinegar next time I go to town next time.

I'm in a rush right now, so I'll stop by later & comment on some of the other posts!

Cuttie, hooray for losing 3 pounds!!!

I’ve always wanted to be normal, but lately I’ve come to suspect that this is it.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
shari, if you have a fish place near you, like long john silvers. they have bottles you can buy! thats where i get mine! we have a french fry cutter so we make homemade fies with malt vinager alot!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
LCG, I wonder, too, if it needs to be done daily to work, or to work for some people.
On the *** thread, the guy who originated the idea responded to a dieter's question about this, saying that at least the first blast of it would be better done daily. But who knows till we try?
We'll learn by experimenting!
No sharp hunger today at all. Just had my first bowl of potatoes and it's nearly 2pm. That is definitely weird and wonderful for me.
Fun, fun, fun.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Just a word about calorie counting--I am reluctant to say this as this is a JUDDD board, but I am not counting--I am eating to satisfaction and that is it. My 6 pounds lost (and that loss was maintained when I went back to regular eating) support my choice --at least for me. Doing the same for the next 4 days.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
So I gave it a try yesterday and ate only potatoes with malt vinegar and salt. I am down 3 pounds this morning but was also at a new high weight a few days before so it is difficult to determine how much of the drop was due to the potatoes. It was my UD and I did not get to my calorie numbers and it turned more into a MD for me. This is a first as I always get in my calories! it's stopping from going over that is my issue. I also consumed tons of sodium yesterday as each baby potato was nicely seasoned in it so you would think I would be bloated today. Doesn't seem to be the case as my wedding rings are falling off and had to switch them to my right hand which is new too. I am intrigued enough to try another potato day today and see how things go. I am also interested to see if I can do a DD after a low UD or if hunger is an issue. I am a little worried about slowing my metabolism after finally getting it working again on JUDDD so might eat regular food tomorrow. I am undecided so far.
Thanks Ouiz for the idea as I am enjoying having that 3 pounds gone so easily.

congrats!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
Lot's of new posts this morning(afternoon?)

I'm down 2.8 pounds after 2 days of PD. I cannot eat my full amount of calories on my UD's while just eating potatoes. I tried & couldn't make myself eat another one!! But, I ate a few extra calories on my DD.

As for eating sweet potatoes? I ate 170 grams of sweet potato, no skin, yesterday. I plan to continue to eat them & see what happens. They sure break up the monotony of plain potatoes. Tho I do love the yukon golds! I tried ACV on a couple of potatoes last night & did not like it at all! So, I hope I can find some malt vinegar next time I go to town next time.

I'm in a rush right now, so I'll stop by later & comment on some of the other posts!

Cuttie, hooray for losing 3 pounds!!!
Shari Congrats on the wt loss woo hoo! I feel the same way about not being able to eat too many potatoes. I have a big appetite but it quickly curbed mine! are you planning on eating regular foods on your up days or just potatoes?

Strangely this morning I work up with more energy then usual. Maybe its the placebo effect or maybe its the post pdd!!! just about 8 more hrs to go before bedtime. still doing well on my up day. not as crazy hungry as before the PDD. interesting....
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I agree with ouiz on the calorie counting.

When/If I take a stab at the Potato-Hack, my plan is to treat this the same as the "Egg Day" or "Protein Day". It seems sort of like punishment if you try and force more potatoes to get the UD cals. Also, you are burning fat, because the liver is forcing it come out of stores because simply... all you are consuming is taters. I think it seems to be the consensus over at the ***, that you will not need to restrict when fat burning is happening.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Just a word about calorie counting--I am reluctant to say this as this is a JUDDD board, but I am not counting--I am eating to satisfaction and that is it. My 6 pounds lost (and that loss was maintained when I went back to regular eating) support my choice --at least for me. Doing the same for the next 4 days.
That is perfect as it is nice to compare. I am going to try to JUDDD with it and see how that works.
What I find even funnier is that we are posting about a potato hack on the Low carb Friends site

Thanks Cuttie! Congrats to you as well!

Last edited by Babsbabs; 12-03-2012 at 12:32 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #407
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
That is perfect as it is nice to compare. I am going to try to JUDDD with it and see how that works.
What I find even funnier is that we are posting about a potato hack on the Low carb Friends site

Thanks Cuttie! Congrats to you as well!
I'm enjoying reading about all of your experiments and results here! I have a dozen cold baked potatoes in the fridge, although I'm not doing the potato diet plan.. I'm just eating potatoes with various meals like I have been all along. LOL

Laughed about posting about eating potatoes on the Low Carb Friends site. I've been thinking for a time now that they need to rename this place. There are so many diet plans being followed by folks here, and many of them aren't remotely low carb!

Continued good luck to you all. Very interesting indeed!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
@Day one of the potato hack - I am at my "usual" 2-3# up higher after the weekend, prior to each week's DD's. I am starting with cold red and cold yellow, lots of seasalt and malt vinegar. All my baked or boiled potatoes have their peels. They are all in the fridge. Whether I re-heat them or not I'm not sure. I have some left fresh to maybe do as waffle fries or hashbrowns later once I see how I do with the cold ones for blood sugar's sake. I have to say, YUM. Even cold, and with those two things, I do NOT miss sour cream, butter, etc. Yep. And my black coffee, since no fat is part of this, and I'm observing it. If I'm doing an N=1 experiment then full-on compliance for me is in order. (well, let's see how I do! LOL) I'm usually not really that hungry in the morning but I decided to keep my normal eating schedule so I ate. I usually eat 20-30g of protein in the morning for my adrenal issues, so this ought to be interesting ! Will busy myself today and see how I do - here's hoping!

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain

Last edited by C'Marie; 12-03-2012 at 01:00 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #409
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Good to know! I'm toying with the idea of doing potato days for the next few days-if I do I probably won't count calories either.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #410
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ouiz - about the initial "bloating" thing...I had a thought:

You know how Dr. A told us not to do a 5 hour GTT (Glucose Tolerance Test) without first spending 3-5 days prior to the test eating 150g of carbs? That it would give a false picture of what's actually going on for a low carb fasted person?

I'm thinking this is kind of a similar situation. When you eat high carb, and have high insulin, many people experience accute bloating and edema in extremities, especially those with underlying heart, liver, pancreas issues..

So maybe the situation of eating the potatoes is similar to trying to do a 5 hour GTT without first coming out of low carb?

I know many of the JUDDD BUDDDs aren't low carb per se...but I bet most of us aren't eating 150g of carbs on a daily basis?

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #411
Established

Ok, caught up on the *** potato threads-always an entertaining way to spend the afternoon

I've decided to do a potato hack Tuesday-Friday. I'll be going into it from a DD (today), and on Saturday I'll resume JUDDD with a normal UD. I've decided to not count calories while doing this and just eat when hungry/till satisfied. I'm actually not overly fond of potatoes but I do like hash browns so I think most of the time I'll be shredding and dry frying the potatoes. I will be eating them with salt, pepper, small amounts of ketchup, mustard, and then I bought this ranch powder stuff you put on popcorn, that's zero everything. I also may use ICBN spray, very sparingly.

Drinks will be lots of water, diet soda, and diet hot cocoa. I will also take D3, magnesium and fish oil supplements, as well as a daily baby aspirin. I'll check in here tomorrow morning with my start weight and then post updates as the week progresses
Old 12-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Sara, welcome to potatoville. Go get'em.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #413
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sara, welcome to potatoville. Go get'em.
I did one DD potato day last week and I really do think it helped my weight loss efforts for the days following, so I'm excited to see what several days in a row do to my weight
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #414
Senior LCF Member

good luck Sara!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Woops, sorry, Sara. Forgot you were already on the train. And thanks for the reminder that one day seemed to help your losses. That's great information.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #416
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ANGIE 43
enjoying a breakfast of cold sweet potatoes that were baked with low carb no fat fake brown sugar lol and cinnamon, very nice indeed
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #417
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I may try this sometime. I'm just wondering what you coffee drinks are doing? I can't drink it black and I can't not drink it. Tried it for one day and it wasn't pretty!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
Coffee drinkers
Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
CUTTIE- No fat, I roast them in spices, herbs and salt. With a little mustard or lc tomato sauce.

MYKIDSTEACHER - It could have been low blood sugar, but i have had tests done (I always thought I had an issue with that!) and my levels are fine. Not to say the potatoes didn't muck it up. But I have a history of low blood pressure and fainting, so i always eat something when I feel like that.

I think tomorrows DD I need to be better prepared. Is anyone havig success just doing PDD and not UD? I am still trying to keep under my DD calories, but am stalling a bit. Is this the fact that I am roasting them and eating them hot? Must they be cold? Thanks Juddys!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #420
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
CUTTIE- No fat, I roast them in spices, herbs and salt. With a little mustard or lc tomato sauce.

MYKIDSTEACHER - It could have been low blood sugar, but i have had tests done (I always thought I had an issue with that!) and my levels are fine. Not to say the potatoes didn't muck it up. But I have a history of low blood pressure and fainting, so i always eat something when I feel like that.

I think tomorrows DD I need to be better prepared. Is anyone havig success just doing PDD and not UD? I am still trying to keep under my DD calories, but am stalling a bit. Is this the fact that I am roasting them and eating them hot? Must they be cold? Thanks Juddys!
I can't imagine eating a cooked potato cold lol. I will be eating all of mine hot!
Closed Thread