Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Pain & Willpower: lessons from my few months of health issues...

Howdy dear Juddders, I'm baaaaa-aaaack! I abruptly disappeared, which I hate, but life took me on a wild ride for a bit. Mammogram turned up a weird something, followed by needle biopsy which was also concerning, so proceeded to a surgical excision...not cancer! Which was a big relief, as my beloved departed mom had breast cancer. Concurrently with all this I've been struggling with a back injury that caused pain so severe it would take me 5 minutes to turn over in bed. I am not a wimp about pain, but this was a whole new level of hideous, even for me, and it went on all summer and up til the last few weeks. When my gem of a phys. therapist suggested just the right combo of therapy and anti-inflammatory medication, and I am now happily back to my pre-acute flare-up chronic pain---which feels like NOTHING after my lumbar hell of the past months.

And here's what I learned: I cannot stick to ANY diet when I'm in severe pain. I don't know why I never made that connection before, but it's so obvious in retrospect...medicinal cookies were the only thing that made being in a body tolerable! And now my pain is controlled, sticking to my calories and rotations has been virtually effortless, go figure. Turns out the pain was WAY more stressful to me than the prospect of booby cancer--once that was off the radar, I nevertheless couldn't diet worth crap as long as I was still hurting so much.

I did however mostly stick to modified rotations with higher down days all through that mess, and haven't gained any weight despite all the medicinal cookies! Stilll trying to find the magic numbers that will start taking it off again, though, and no doubt will be calling on your collective and generous wisdom in the days to come...

your renewed bud,
patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Patty! What a gift to be pain-free, and what a bonus prize to not gain through all of THAT. So glad you're through it all and back here.

Last edited by calichris; 11-25-2012 at 04:38 PM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Gasp, how frightening to get all the way to biopsy. So happy for you that the mass was B9
Glad you have the terrible pain under control. You have been through the wringer, that's for sure. Amazing that you managed to not gain weight with the modified rotations
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I'm glad you are feeling better and that cancer is not an issue. I know about terrible back pain and am really happy you are back to a manageble level.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
WOE: JUDDD
So glad you are back and better now. you will be even better every passing day!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
What a nightmare! Welcome back to the land of the living.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
What a dreadful summer you have had one way and another. Maintaining through all of that is a minor miracle. Well done.

Lovely to have you back Patty.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #8

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Welcome back Patty! You've made it through some stressful time there, and I'm so glad you're feeling better and that cancer is not an issue. Scary. I think it's easy for us to take feeling good, even feeling okay, for granted. But actual acute pain is really wearing. So glad that has passed!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I am so happy for you that you maintained, and that your pain is more manageable now. What an ordeal!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Oh thank you lovely juddd-buds all, for the empathy and support. One of these days I'll learn how to open up to receiving that actually DURING the crapstorm, not just after!
love,
patty
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
So happy to hear things are better for you and your health and especially not being cancer Much love to you dear patty~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Aww, thanks Kimberly, and so nice to see your beautiful smiling face, what a great picture! I'm ever so glad it's not the big C, but I'll tell you, that back pain thing was what really had me terrified--because I know booby cancer is eminently treatable, but not so much with back stuff, at least in my horribly lumbar-ly challenged family...I was so scared it would never get better and this is what my life would be like from now on. Every day since it's abated I feel like I've won the lottery! Yayyyyy for less pain!!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I am so glad you are feeling better. No one should live in constant pain!
zipp2play is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Wow, Patty. You've been through so much physical and mental pain with these issues! I'm so glad you're back here on the JUDDD forum. Regardless of what issue we may be battling in our real lives, the folks here are so supportive. So hugs from me too! Glad you're back.

I think physical therapists are a Godsend! I went through a period a couple of years ago where I had pain as you describe in my lower back for an extended period. I think arthritis and fibromyalgia and a chronically pinched disc all came together at the same time and the pain was unceasing. As you describe, not being able to move or turn over or stand up straight. And unceasing. But the therapist worked with me over about six or seven sessions, and thought me the moves and exercises to do at home, and a miracle of pain relief was finally mine. I still do those exercises at home and haven't had any relapses so far. A bit of pain sometimes, but nothing that can't be lived with now, and mostly in response to barometric pressure fluctuations. Pop the occasional pain pills for that, for what they're worth, which often isn't much, and all three are prescription. This is just pain that's hard to manage all the time, as you well know.

Do you have exercises to continue at home? Hope you are able to do movements that will keep you relatively pain free from now on.

My mom had breast cancer too. Glad the lump you had turned out to not be cancer.

Glad you back with us here.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Patty,

So glad you are back and have made it through a tough storm. I know how life happens and it interferes with our weight loss plans. I am so glad you don' have cancer but I feel for you on the pain you have had to endure. I have been having medical struggles myself, so I understand. We have both done well in not gaining, and that is a wonderful thing itself.

Sending and support your way!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Wow! So sorry you've been through so much! I'm so happy the mass was negative!

After this past year with the pain issues and breast cancer treatment, I can SOOOO relate! It's tough to be on any kind of diet when you're in immense pain, and sleeping is also knocked to hell. Cudos for keeping your rotations and for not gaining! So glad you're feeling better!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Patty, Wonderful to have you back in JUDDDland! It is also great to hear that your biopsy was clear and back pain relieved!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Aww, thanks Kimberly, and so nice to see your beautiful smiling face, what a great picture! I'm ever so glad it's not the big C, but I'll tell you, that back pain thing was what really had me terrified--because I know booby cancer is eminently treatable, but not so much with back stuff, at least in my horribly lumbar-ly challenged family...I was so scared it would never get better and this is what my life would be like from now on. Every day since it's abated I feel like I've won the lottery! Yayyyyy for less pain!!
Hum... yes, I actually think that would be better than the actual lottery since you can't buy pain relief... I'd like to be the next Juddd bud to win the less pain lottery
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Ohhhh, continued thanks for the messages of love and support, you guys are the BEST, on or off the net!

Pat--I do indeed have a home exercise program. I have to be careful because I think I flared myself up months ago as a result of over-doing at the gym I'd just joined. Apparently I take the "no pain, no gain" maxim a wee bit to the extreme...and then I get too scared to do anything for a while, which is where I'm at right now. Trying to get up my courage!

Carly---wishing you a mega/powerball win in the pain lottery of your own! I think this whole "walking upright" experiment just isn't working out as a species.

Pooticus--you are so right, dieting in pain is like swimming upstream wearing a lead bathing suit while a shark gnaws on your leg. Hats off to all of us who are trying sooooooo hard!

Now I need to go gather some wisdom on not having every up day turn into an UUAAD!
love,
patty