Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Product Comparison: Dreamfields vs whole wheat pasta. Your opinion? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789846-product-comparison-dreamfields-vs-whole-wheat-pasta-your-opinion.html)

sorenkkg 11-22-2012 03:30 PM

Product Comparison: Dreamfields vs whole wheat pasta. Your opinion?

I'll preface by saying: I'm jacked on caffeine, and knocking things off my "to do" list like mental! :jumpjoy:

this is one of those things-- I bought some of my grocery store's "healthy menu" whole wheat pasta to compare to dreamfields, to see if maybe I can get away from spending the extra $ if not needed.

Dreamfields (375g box costs $3.79 CDN)--
serving of 2 oz dry (56g), it's:
190 cal
41g carb total
5 g fiber (3g soluble, 2g insoluble)

Whole Wheat (375g box costs $1.49 CDN):
serving of 75g dry (so, that's about 1/3 more?):
270 cal
54g carb total
8g of fiber (2g soluble, 6g insoluble).

I broke out calories/gram

Dreamfields: 190/56 = 3.39 (let's call that 3.4)
Whole wheat: 270/75= 3.6

so that's .2 cals per g difference.

If I work that back to the same size serving as the Dreamfields (56g), the whole wheat comes to about 202 cals.

So, it's about 12 cal more per serving (if 2oz is the serving) and perhaps a touch more fiber.

Given that Dreamfields is a bit iffy on the whole "our carbs magically don't get processed by your system" thing (ymmv, I've heard the whole gammut on whether they impact blood sugar etc)-- my conclusion is that I can buy the whole wheat pasta instead. And save $2.30 per box.

Did that make sense?

btw-- pasta is a sometimes-treat for me (as Cookie Monster now says about cookies...). I'm pretty convinced about the whole gluten/wheat/wheat-belly-the-book thing, but I do like a little pasta now and then. JUDDD = moderation for me

Mssarge 11-22-2012 04:35 PM

I'm with you, I do have both in the house and stretch 'em with zucchini noodles anyway and may have pasta once a month or so...as it is I can't remember the last time I had any. But after reading all the info on Dreamfields, decided that since I don't have it that often, why bother with it?

Zib 11-23-2012 08:46 AM

Dreamfields gives me very uncomfortable bloating and gas. Guess it's that undigestible stuff??

gotsomeold 11-23-2012 08:46 AM

Soren, you are so cute jacked on caffeine!!

I am no help, for some reason - for me - Dreamfields causes a much higher bounce than just regular old pasta does. I don't eat it often, but when I do I stick to the real thing.

sorenkkg 11-23-2012 09:49 AM

:p yesterday was kinda crazy... DH was NOT pleased when he got home and I was zooooooming!

Aaaaaany way ;) I think I'm sold.
For occaisional pasta use, I'll go back to the whole wheat. I'll keep comparing brands to see if there's lower cal, higher fiber.

I do have a backlog of dreamfields to work through (side-note: I have a cold storage cupboard in the basement. It is FULL. DH wonders if I was brought up during The Depression :doh: )

:) S.

stephdray 11-23-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorenkkg (Post 16094533)
Given that Dreamfields is a bit iffy on the whole "our carbs magically don't get processed by your system" thing (ymmv, I've heard the whole gammut on whether they impact blood sugar etc)-- my conclusion is that I can buy the whole wheat pasta instead. And save $2.30 per box.

Did that make sense?

btw-- pasta is a sometimes-treat for me (as Cookie Monster now says about cookies...). I'm pretty convinced about the whole gluten/wheat/wheat-belly-the-book thing, but I do like a little pasta now and then. JUDDD = moderation for me

I am of the absolute firm opinion that Dreamfields is a scam and I will be shocked if there is not legal action taken against them at some point. IMO, it tastes exactly like the real thing because it pretty much is the real thing.

So, I'm thinking if you're really worried about carbs here, go with the whole wheat ;)

sorenkkg 11-23-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16095380)
So, I'm thinking if you're really worried about carbs here, go with the whole wheat ;)

:doh: You made me think, Steph-- I need to compare whole wheat to regular duram/semolina (and we even have a brand that does the whole wheat but makes it look white...).

I have a sneaking suspicion they're all the same calories and carbs... Will post a second report, maybe next week!

Soren H. S-K, roving culinary reporter, signing off ;)