Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Time for more vegetables and fruit. (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789842-time-more-vegetables-fruit.html)

Kissa 11-22-2012 11:41 AM

Time for more vegetables and fruit.

I realise that as the weather has got colder (and very, very wet) and the days grow shorter I have been eating more high carb comfort food. That is fine, but not when I am neglecting to eat my vegetable, and fruit...

So today I went to the market and stocked up on lots of my favourites. I will spend tomorrow preparing good things to eat on both my UD and my DDs.

I am going to make lots of carrot soup. I will prepare it very low fat but on an UD I may add cream or some curry paste, lentil or chicken.

I bought a load of mushrooms that were on sale and I will do the same with those. A basic tasty soup that I can adjust to suit my rotations.

Another favourite of mine is Ratatouille. I don't use oil to start it off but again, on an UD I may well add some lovely extra virgin or grated cheese to it.

I have bought blueberries and apples, the smallest I could find. I indulged in some raspberries too, though I know they won't be great as they are out of season, a little Splenda will sort that out though.

So, I can still enjoy my comfort carbs but I will be making sure I am eating my veggies! Promise.

KeirasMom 11-22-2012 01:22 PM

Sounds good Cindy. I just bought a ton of bananas because we eat them like crazy around here. Most other fruits go bad, but we eat tons of veggies.

sorenkkg 11-22-2012 07:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing Cindy! I emptied the fridge when we went away, but did some shopping today.

Do you like Kale-type of greens? Don't know if you have "collards" in the UK, but Kale or chard-- cook with some onion, red bell pepper, pinch of chili flakes, and enough chicken broth to cover (then cover the pot) for about 2hrs or so. Super yummy, and the liquid is a delicious broth.

I was going to get carrots, but the scanner couldn't read the barcode, so I left them :annoyed:

I roast my mushrooms, then puree with just chicken broth-- thick as a "gravy", or thin with more chicken broth for delicious soup. No cream needed, but always welcome ;)

Boiled radishes (I'm thinking of you, Dawn, for this one :) )-- get a bag of radishes, no greens needed. Clean them up, slice the big ones in half, and boil with some salt till tender to a fork or knife.
Drain, then add a teeny bit of butter or oil, and salt, pepper, wee bit of garlic or onion powder, and some chives (I use dry) if you have them. YUMMO. Low cal and low carb! And EASY :D

Ok-- this must be the tail-end of my caffeine-fueled day :p that's way too many recipes in too short a time! ;)
S.

Librarygirl 11-22-2012 10:07 PM

Thanks Soren!! I love your ideas, and they're easy too. I've never eaten radishes cooked, but I want to try it now! :)

KeirasMom 11-23-2012 03:58 AM

I loved the cooked French radishes I had a few months ago. Thanks Soren, now I have to pick up some more!

Flossyliz 11-23-2012 03:59 AM

I made a big pan full of spicy celery soup yesterday. Only 62 cals per ladleful.
(Cindy, my soup is the only way I like celery!) :)

Here's my favourite recipe for green cabbage.
Adjust quantities to suit.

Melt 1tsp butter in enough hot water to cover the bottom of the pan. Chuck in some herbs/spices to suit your mood.
Add a finely chopped leek and courgette (or two) and a chopped green bell pepper. Stir and cover and leave to steam-fry while you finely chop and wash the cabbage then add to pan.
Add a little stock, or some water+salt/bouillon powder/Marmite. Don't drown it - it should be like a stir fry but slower! Stir occasionally.
As the veggies start to become tender, add chopped mushrooms and leave to steam on top of the mix.
When the mushrooms are done, mix it all up and it's ready.
If it's a DD you can add some fat-free Greek yogurt (plus some PB2 if you have some – YUM!) and a twist of black pepper and enjoy for dinner.
:yummy:
Collards (Spring cabbage) or kale are best, with the big flat field mushrooms. They make a dark and tasty mixture that we fondly call “The Creature from the Black Lagoon”.
Savoy's good too, with chestnut or closed cup mushrooms. It's sweeter and less evil-looking. :lol:

gotsomeold 11-23-2012 04:12 AM

Winter squashes (butternut, spaghetti, acorn, and so on and so on). Roasted, grilled, pureed into soup...

tooraloora 11-23-2012 05:54 AM

what a clever idea :notwrthy: to make DD-able soups, but then add cream or fats or protein on UDs... I like that.

I make a great clear out the veggie bins roasted soup... cut up 2 cookie sheets worth of misc. veg, including some juicy ones like tomatoes, peppers, and some starchier like carrots, parsnip, sweet potato... a few garlic cloves, and an apple. toss with a bit of EVOO, and roast on sheets (parchment paper under makes clean up a snap) in hot oven for 30-40 min. Pick out tomato skins, and puree the lot and thin with broth. really nice with a few shards of parmesan and/or toasted pinenuts. I have never calc'd the cals, but since it has no cream and only a few Tbsp oil in a big big pot, it is low. :yummy:

Luv2Eat 11-23-2012 06:09 AM

tooraloora, roasted vegetables pureed into soup sounds heavenly!

Kissa 11-23-2012 09:11 AM

I have made both the soups today and am looking forward to having some mushroom soup tonight.

Love all these great recipe suggestions, many thanks. I hope everyone can benefit from them.

LoCarbGal 11-24-2012 09:18 AM

Thanks for this thread, Cindy! Great idea, and lots of great recipe ideas here already. I'm going to print this thread and try 'em out.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted veggies. I take just about anything, cut into bite sized pieces, spray with a touch of olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and roast. No need for butter - they taste slightly sweet, full-bodied, and wonderful.

Kale has got to be one of my favorites! Sauteed with a little olive oil, crushed garlic and chicken stock. YUMMMMM!

I've never been a big soup person, but with JUDDD I think that may be changing. Especially on DD shivvery days. I'm going to start doing bone broth in my crock pot, and then making into wonderful veggie soups.

Dottie 11-25-2012 06:31 AM

Radishes are great low-carb gems:)
For UD's, cut them in half, boil for about 5 minutes until they're just starting to soften then drain and pat dry. Toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 400f oven for about 10 minutes until they're all browned and crispy :)

gotsomeold 11-25-2012 12:48 PM

Roasted veggies were, like, a major and life-changing epiphany for me. That was decades ago. But, :hyst: I started JUDDD when I did because I realized I could have all the roasted zucchini and eggplant I wanted on my next UD.

cactusrose63 11-25-2012 07:08 PM

subbing....

sorenkkg 11-25-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16097967)
Radishes are great low-carb gems:)
For UD's, cut them in half, boil for about 5 minutes until they're just starting to soften then drain and pat dry. Toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 400f oven for about 10 minutes until they're all browned and crispy :)

I didn't ever think about ROASTING them! lol! Thanks Bev! :D

Kissa 11-26-2012 05:04 AM

I roast everything too. I especially love tiny flowerets of cauliflower, spritzed with oil or Pam, and roasted until they go crispy. So delicious.

KeirasMom 11-26-2012 07:42 AM

I just got a toaster/convection oven this weekend and have been looking for something to try out in it. I wonder if it would roast veggies well. :confused: They sound lovely.

sorenkkg 11-26-2012 06:30 PM

Dawn-- go very high temp, and give the veggies a bit of oil or Pam or something-- I tried it with them totally naked, and they don't brown as well. The oil really helps the process.

Cauli--sliced or in florets. I hear broccoli is great roasted. Green beans, any root veggie. Mushrooms-- then puree for soup or "gravy"... Beets! Kale!
omg, I'm getting hungry... :yummy:

Librarygirl 11-26-2012 06:43 PM

Brussell sprouts are heavenly roasted! Make sure to keep the bits that fall off of the "buds"...they are like potato crisps after roasting! Use plenty of sea salt too...spray with olive oil, or toss with a few T, if it's a UD. :) Bf had never really tasted brussell sprouts and just imagined they were nasty, lol, but loves them now, roasted...the leaves that fall off sometimes blacken and that's perfect! Delicious!

DD80 11-27-2012 08:35 AM

I like making green smoothies to get in more greens, but I really don't love eating salad (at least not packed for lunch...something about the smell and the semi-wilty/watery lettuce and keeping dressing separate...ick :sick:).

I've learned that you must always put in at least 1/2 a banana to sweeten them up. I keep them peeled, in the freezer. I usually drop in a small apple, and another piece of fruit, depending on what I have (yesterday was a kiwi). Today, it's just small apple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 small zucchini, 2 cups spinach, and 4 oz of tangerine juice (and water). I aloways add a little scoop of L-glutamine. I sometimes add a scoop of protein powder on non DDs. I use like a magic bullet... Yes, I get lumps, but the texture doesn't bother me.

Jbinme 11-27-2012 01:07 PM

Roasted veggies are like candy to me:yummy:

cactusrose63 11-27-2012 04:24 PM

Any ideas for roasting/making curly kale chips? I have heard of them and want to try them. Thanks.

SoHappy 11-27-2012 04:41 PM

We're eating tons of harvest veggies this time of year. I made a stew with big chunks of potato, carrot, and cabbage in it. Just finished up a huge butternut squash. Love that just pared and cut into chunks, steamed tender and then whipped up with lots of butter.. like mashed potatoes. Have an acorn squash on hand now, so will do that in halves in the oven. We like it best with butter and brown sugar in the hollow, but have had it with sausage in the hollow and that was good too. Late kale, cooked tender, and dressed with a sweet hot bacon/vinegar dressing is good too.

I know what you mean about autumn chilly weather foods. I'm ready to bake some loaves of pumpkin bread and some banana bread. I like those with breakfast of scrambled eggs instead of buttered toast sometimes. Washed down with hot coffee and cream.

DH is still asking for a scalloped corn dish. And I always look forward to pecans made into pie. When I was a little girl, we'd work on black walnuts in the late fall, and mama would bake a black walnut cake for us. A lot of work, but boy! That cake was delicious.

I love the late harvest foods. Always the time the farmers butchered hogs and great succulent pork roasts went well with the autumn foods. Apple cider... spiced pears...

becksterinindy 11-27-2012 04:57 PM

Barb you could read through Beeb's thread on Kale.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ght=kale+chips

SoHappy 11-27-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusrose63 (Post 16103169)
Any ideas for roasting/making curly kale chips? I have heard of them and want to try them. Thanks.

Here's how I make them:

wash and dry the leaves
cut along both sides of the big stem, freeing the kale leaf on each side, and toss the stem
cut the larger pieces of kale leaf into sizes you want
lay the kale pieces out on a cookie sheet
spray/mist them lightly with a can of spray olive oil
turn the pieces over and spray the pieces with olive oil again
(or put them in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over them and toss by hand to coat)
sprinkle with sea salt or your choice of herbs/spices.. some like garlic salt, etc.
put the cookie sheet into a preheated 350 degree oven
turn on your inside oven light so you can watch for browning
when the kale pieces begin to brown nicely along the edges, they're done
don't bake them much longer because they go from nicely browned to BLACK quickly!
take them out, let them cool slightly, and enjoy
they are a bit fragile, so handle with care

cactusrose63 11-28-2012 09:05 AM

SoHappy, thanks for the detailed recipe! One ?...Approximately how long til brownish? Thanks!

And Becky, will check out that post!! Thanks!

gotsomeold 11-28-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 16103227)
Here's how I make them:

wash and dry the leaves
cut along both sides of the big stem, freeing the kale leaf on each side, and toss the stem
cut the larger pieces of kale leaf into sizes you want
lay the kale pieces out on a cookie sheet
spray/mist them lightly with a can of spray olive oil
turn the pieces over and spray the pieces with olive oil again
(or put them in a large bowl and drizzle olive oil over them and toss by hand to coat)
sprinkle with sea salt or your choice of herbs/spices.. some like garlic salt, etc.
put the cookie sheet into a preheated 350 degree oven
turn on your inside oven light so you can watch for browning
when the kale pieces begin to brown nicely along the edges, they're done
don't bake them much longer because they go from nicely browned to BLACK quickly!
take them out, let them cool slightly, and enjoy
they are a bit fragile, so handle with care

Do the same with spinach leaves.

Cactus, don't start reading even a small book, don't step away, don't take your eyes off of them.

The only disagreement I have is, don't toss the stems - freeze 'em cause they go in the crock pot for the next bone broth.

SoHappy 11-28-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusrose63 (Post 16104426)
SoHappy, thanks for the detailed recipe! One ?...Approximately how long til brownish? Thanks!

And Becky, will check out that post!! Thanks!

You know... I don't actually know. I do remember the first batch I made I saw them browning nicely around the edges of the pieces, but I was expecting - and waiting - for them to brown the entire leaf. That doesn't happen, at least for me. When the edges are getting nice and brown, the leaf is still green in the inner part, but it isn't green and still raw, it is green and crispy, crispy.

Experiment. I know that there are even different varieties of kale, so that might also be something that influences how they cook. I always use the curly leaf variety.

It's only a very few minutes though..... like 10 minutes of so. Just keep checking. :laugh:

If you've underbaked them and they aren't crispy yet, you can always pop them back in for a couple more minutes. But once you've overbaked them, they're more bitter.

cactusrose63 11-28-2012 09:26 AM

Happy, thanks! Actually have some leftover leaves in the fridge, will be experimenting with them shortly!!

sorenkkg 11-30-2012 02:28 PM

I made my soups today! I roasted a small paper bag full of mushrooms-- weighed 12oz when done. Pureed with 900ml (1 box) of chicken stock. If that's 4 servings, it's about 40cal per serving.

My grocery store also has a "kit" for butternut squash soup! You buy the veggies pre cut and washed (squash and some leeks) and it says it makes 4 servings at about 80 cal per serving-- 70 for the veggies, and again, about 10 cal for the broth you add. Boil, puree, done.

I'm having some tonight along with some chicken. Maybe I'll finally warm up! ;)
S.

p.s. Cindy-- feeling cheerier now, I've had some of my favorite tea :)