Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Exersize and JUDD? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789609-exersize-judd.html)

thinking_thinly 11-19-2012 01:19 PM

Exersize and JUDD?

It's my DD @ 500 calories. I burned about 500 calories (according to my treadmill as I don't have a HRM) walking. Do I eat those calories, or is it okay not too? I don't think I am going to be hungry enough to eat them. Yay me? :hyst:

calichris 11-19-2012 01:21 PM

If you're doing fine, just stick with your normal calories. Dr. Johnson does say you *can* eat them back, but I prefer to just burn extra fat ;)

KeirasMom 11-19-2012 01:37 PM

I don't eat them back. Let your hunger and your body be your guide.

Lyric's Mom 11-19-2012 03:01 PM

Keep in mind that treadmills and other exercise equipment often over-estimate calories burned. Sometimes by 200 cals or more! If I exercise on DD's, I find myself hungrier than usual so what I do is "eat back" half of my earned calories. I have a very reliable exercise app that totals my calories burned based on the type of work out and my current weight. If it says I burned 250 cals, I'll eat 125 of those back. That way I satisfy my increased hunger but so give myself room to burn extra fat.

Librarygirl 11-19-2012 05:55 PM

I cleaned for hours on Sat. and Sun., yet didn't eat back any calories. However, today I think I got a little ahead of 500 cals. I'm going to trust that it won't hurt me. When I say "cleaned", I mean I was up on a ladder cleaning light fixtures, and down on the floor scrubbing baseboards, vaccuming, dusting...moving! My legs ached this morning, so I know it did burn at least some cals.

Babsbabs 11-19-2012 06:09 PM

I find that if I am doing one exercise class or a short run that is under an hour and no other tiring activity like cleaning the whole house than I am ok not adding in extra calories. If I am doing more, like multiple workouts that exceed an hour I add in a portion of the calories. Sometimes I don't even need them until the following day and then I'll add in about half of the workout calories as Lyric's Mom suggests.

Carly 11-19-2012 06:17 PM

I am limited in the type of exercise I can do, due to a fused spine, but when I can take a long brisk walk or do super house cleaning I never eat it back. For me, I prefer to burn the extra fat!!!! Isn't that one of the main reasons to exercise:hyst: I would probably opt for a pedicure rather than a 2 mile walk for about the same use of time:rofl:

Lyric's Mom 11-19-2012 08:34 PM

One more note...I've found that it didn't really matter if I kept my DD's low (200-350) or at the typical amount (500 cals), or if I ate back my exercised cals...I still lost the same. So I figure if I have a DD every now & then where I'm incredibly hungry, I go ahead and eat more that day. The lower cals doesn't seem to speed up weight loss for me so why not? I know everybody's different but it might be worth testing it out and see how your body responds.

wiiiifit 11-19-2012 10:43 PM

I don't usually eat back my exercise calories. Maybe if it was during TOM. Today, I actually logged every last bite on a tracker. My net calories for the day were 158. I have a fitbit, so it automatically deducts my calories burned from what I entered. My step count was a little low...I was thinking it would be fun to aim for zero calories. But, then I got busy cleaning and forgot.

wiiiifit 11-19-2012 10:50 PM

Weird. I typed a post here and it didn't show up? Anyway, it basically said I don't eat my calories back.

Kissa 11-20-2012 06:02 AM

I hate it when that happens Wiii.

I agree, I never eat back my exercise cals, but I am not exercising like Barb or Lyricsmom. A on hour Zumba or Body Combat class a few times a week is all I do.

zipp2play 11-20-2012 07:41 AM

I get in 5 miles a day. I don't figure the calories or anything for it. No need. I follow my rotations and utilize the step just above no exercise on the calculator. Losing weight, FOR ME, is 95% what I put in my mouth...has nothing at all to do with exercie. Several years ago I just kept increasing the miles I ran. I was eating 1800 calories and doing 5-8 miles running and on long run day, up to 15 miles. I didn't lose a pound, if anything, I gained. Again, I have learned, it's what I eat, NOT how much I move that makes all the difference. Now, I exercise because I enjoy it, it never ties to how much I have eated that day or the day before!

LadyKT 11-20-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16089342)
I hate it when that happens Wiii.

I agree, I never eat back my exercise cals, but I am not exercising like Barb or Lyricsmom. A on hour Zumba or Body Combat class a few times a week is all I do.

Kissa - I find (using my HR monitor) that I burn about 650 cals per BodyCombat class! That's a lot! Especially on a DD!

Yesterday was my first DD - while I got in about 350 cals yesterday, i *burned* almost 700. I came home from the gym and was fine. Wasn't really hungry or anything, just really tired. What I did not do however, was not drink my casein shake. Casein is a protein that apparently thickens in your stomach (they say to take it at night b/c it's slow acting). Guess who woke up absolutely starving at 3 a.m.? :stars: Lesson learned there. So I guess it all depends on how your body reacts, maybe not so much directly after the workouts, but a few hours after.

Kissa 11-20-2012 03:02 PM

Katie, I am guessing that you work harder in Combat than I do.... no way I burn those calories. :(

Quoted for truth!

LadyKT 11-20-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16090642)
Katie, I am guessing that you work harder in Combat than I do.... no way I burn those calories. :(

Quoted for truth!

I guess! When it's available in my area, I'm going for instructor training! :love: I guess I am pretty hardcore! :hyst:

Kissa 11-22-2012 11:53 AM

I was a Jazzercise instructor briefly in my 40s, but I am less hardcore now....