Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
How do you manage a social life on JUDDD?

Hi friends,

What I am reading about JUDDD intrigues me... BUT, being a social gal who likes to go out for lunches and dinners (including wine) with friends or DH, events that always have buffet-type tables, etc., I am worried that I won't be able to alternate up days and down days consistently. Most of my weekly events are on the same day each week.. so, 50% of the time they will fall on an up or down day. Who has words of wisdom from someone who has a similar social schedule?

How do you manage? Thanks a bunch!
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/165/150
WOE: moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
There is a modified version of JUDDD called MUDDD (mixed up days) that might help you out. I don't know a whole lot about it because I personally don't use it, but someone on here can tell you more about it. If I tried to explain it to you, I would confuse myself and you. so either PirateJenny (it's her creation) or someone else would be better for explaining it.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
Some people also do a MD (middle day which means halfway between and UD and DD) on Sunday and then start the same rotation over again. Not sure if that would help you or not. Lots of people drink wine on their UDs but they count it towards their calories.
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I found, when we went to one of the usual haunts, I could have a salad and water (I always drink water - I adore it) and still be the life of the party.

Or, if we go someplace really unusual with totally deee-lish food, I eat then returned to my planned rotation.

Ultimately, I had to face the choice of losing weight or eating whatever, whenever I wanted. Which does NOT mean I suffer - vacations and meals at special places happen frequently and I eat.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-18-2012 at 12:07 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
Since I go out almost the same days every week, I made my set up days Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The other three are my constant down days. It's worked out great for me--I've reached goal and am easily maintaining it while still having a social life. Find what works for you!
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the input!

Thank you all for the input! I just purchased the book for my Kindle and will dig in. I have some celebrations this week (25th wedding anniversary which includes a few days away, plus Thanksgiving), but should be able to get into the rotation by Friday or Saturday! With reading the threads on MUDDD, plus the other suggestions - I know I can do this. The first weeks of DD will be tough, but it can be done with all the filling recipes and mindset!

Thanks!!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Stats: 254.2/222.8/140
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Good to have you with us. I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how much you will love this. Happy 25th to you, enjoy your time away!
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
Thank you all for the input! I just purchased the book for my Kindle and will dig in. I have some celebrations this week (25th wedding anniversary which includes a few days away, plus Thanksgiving), but should be able to get into the rotation by Friday or Saturday! With reading the threads on MUDDD, plus the other suggestions - I know I can do this. The first weeks of DD will be tough, but it can be done with all the filling recipes and mindset!

Thanks!!
Welcome! Excellent decision- planning is key! May you find JUDDD as rewarding as I have!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Since starting JUDDD I've eaten out a handful of times with family and this upcoming week I will be eating away from home four times For the ones that fall on DDs I just eat as smart as possible (a salad, fish etc), and then don't sweat it if I go a bit over. It's a very flexible plan, as long as you don't get too crazy
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I found, when we went to one of the usual haunts, I could have a salad and water (I always drink water - I adore it) and still be the life of the party.

Or, if we go someplace really unusual with totally deee-lish food, I eat then returned to my planned rotation.

Ultimately, I had to face the choice of losing weight or eating whatever, whenever I wanted. Which does NOT mean I suffer - vacations and meals at special places happen frequently and I eat.
Basically, what Nancy said. Sometimes going out happens on a DD. I can find something like a house salad with vinegar or just eat a bit of something more fattening, but I just didn't want to be obese anymore and I was willing to accept that for me I could not eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted it and lose the weight. When I get to maintenance I plan to have set DDs (3) which will stay very low (under 200 calories) and 4 UDs where I may eat more than the calculator to off set the low DDs which I love. JUDDD can be very flexible which is great!
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Dipgirl you can make this work. If you do decide to go for set UDs, JUDDD wil still work, just more slowly.

However, I don't know of any weight loss plan that would allow you to have social events with wine, (my own favourite fruit) regularly. If these are good friends they will surely support you for a few DDs.

I have been known to have wine and crisps (chips) on DDs.

You will find Dr J quite tolerant of the Mon Wed Fri DD option, but you may lose more slowly. However, this is not a race!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyric's Mom View Post
Since I go out almost the same days every week, I made my set up days Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The other three are my constant down days. It's worked out great for me--I've reached goal and am easily maintaining it while still having a social life. Find what works for you!
That's interesting! I like how you can make JUDDD fit YOUR life, and it still works!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I will say that socializing and travel are my number one reasons I am not at goal. I JUDDD as many times as I can during the week, but consistency seems impossible. I lose, albeit slowly, but then a week long trip (once a month or so) sets me back.

I love JUDDD because unlike the past, I don't gain permanently as a result of all my travels. My DH and I are in a national and international professional group that travels to meetings constantly, and when at said meetings, constant 4 star restaurant meals. I'm not complaining, because I love the group and the travel, but it is def. hard on a body, lol. I have 5 trips to 5 different countries coming up in the next 10 months. Thank god for JUDDD.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I will say that socializing and travel are my number one reasons I am not at goal. I JUDDD as many times as I can during the week, but consistency seems impossible. I lose, albeit slowly, but then a week long trip (once a month or so) sets me back.

I love JUDDD because unlike the past, I don't gain permanently as a result of all my travels. My DH and I are in a national and international professional group that travels to meetings constantly, and when at said meetings, constant 4 star restaurant meals. I'm not complaining, because I love the group and the travel, but it is def. hard on a body, lol. I have 5 trips to 5 different countries coming up in the next 10 months. Thank god for JUDDD.
Wow, you lead such an interesting life! I haven't gone anywhere I can't drive to
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again to everyone who is sharing how they make JUDDD work for them and their schedule! I plan to do a low carb version... so, if I am not perfect on every single DD hopefully staying in ketosis or just getting/keeping the metabolism working properly will help in the long run. I am not in a race.. but, I'd like to feel better physically and emotionally before a trip to Cancun in February. My last couple of Caribbean vacations have been a minor disaster...all weight related (falling down and not being able to get up kind of stuff) ugh!.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #16

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Social life? What's that?

Seriously though, JUDDD is pretty darn easy to do with any social situations that come up. You get to decide how you want to work your days and modify it in whatever ways work best for you. It works much better in my life than any other plan did.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Well, since I have realized the world doesn't revolve around food, I have had no problems. I can socialize. Doesn't mean I have to eat in order to do that. I am Baptist and every time two or more Baptists get together they think they have to have food and I drive others crazy not eating if I am not hungry.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I tend to just do Monday-Wednesday-Friday and because of my social life, I maintain my weight, which is fine by me. However, I find that if you plan your fasting, you can normally fit in a 18-24 hour fast around your social life, if you want to.

For example, this Friday I'm having dinner, so what I will do is eat all my food with an early cutoff on Thursday (maybe 5pm) and then fast for 24-26 hours until it's time to eat.

You would normally do a 36 hour fast, but you don't have to handcuff yourself to that. The main thing is to get a good long fast at regular intervals, and like most things, if you really want to do it, you find a way.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I've only shifted my rotations twice with a MD so far in 11 weeks. Once for a lunch with a friend I hadn't seen in several years, and once for this week/Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I just go with whatever day it is, and eat/drink or don't. I agree with Adi, you can socialize without overdoing the food.

It's a change in mindset, I know. "Socialize without several drinks or lots of food? How does that work? I could never do that!" But remember how you felt about 500 calories or less every other day when you were contemplating doing JUDDD. Seemed kind of impossible, didn't it? But it's not!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
I have a very active social life

For me, the challenge on all other diet plans has always been that I travel a lot for my job and when I do, food choices are not entirely in my control. Sometimes I am stuck in a hotel in the wilderness where it's either pizza or starve. Sometimes it's very inconvenient or awkward to pass on certain foods--like when a reader gifts you with a box of chocolates or wants to buy you coffee and cake.

I used to believe that the solution to this problem was that I had to refuse to go. That I travel less. That I deny myself. That I behave more "sensibly," etc. And when I failed at any of these, the recriminations were a death spiral of guilt and self-loathing.

This is where JUDDD has been a savior for me. JUDDD does not require perfection. It does not demand the most rigid adherence at all times. You will lose weight more slowly if you go off the rails, but you will still lose if you are consistent.

For me, that consistency has come in the following shape: If I have to go to a conference, I am super super strict before I leave. I might even throw in an extra down day or medium day or a fat-fast to give myself a little wiggle room. Then, if I can fit in at least one down day while I'm away, I do. If I cannot, I relax and do my thing and then START ROTATIONS IMMEDIATELY upon returning home. There is no, "Oh, I'll wait until Monday to start again." I don't think that I have "fallen off the wagon" and need to re-start my diet.

It's all just part of the balancing act of JUDDD.

I make use of medium days when needed. For me--and I realize I am an exception in this--I typically drop on the scale immediately after a DD-MD combination. I also make use of "less than optimal" down days. If I am doing a road trip or have to go out to lunch with friends and can't quite find stuff that's under 500 calories, I will go up to 700 or 800 or even 900 calories. And I don't flip out.

My closest friends know what I am doing and will often re-arrange events to match my up days. If it's a down day they don't even question why I'm eating a salad with dressing on the side. Though one of them might say something like, "Oh, it's your starving day, isn't it?" But other people generally have no idea. I've really only had one irritating experience when the hostess of a party followed me around watching what I put on my plate and fretting that she would quick cook something special for me that was more to my liking.

I am not losing as quickly as some people on this board and maybe my social life is to blame. However, I am losing consistently and more than I have ever lost in my life without the assistance of weight loss drugs. And I am doing it without sacrificing my social life in any way.

If anything, JUDDD has made it much better.

Last edited by stephdray; 11-20-2012 at 08:49 AM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: start 150 now 135 goal 125
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Great answers!

I suspect you'll find it easier to be flexible if you can get some strict rotations down, so that the sirtuin has kicked in properly.

I've had lots of meals out and several weekends away since starting JUDDD nearly three months ago. I keep my rotations as clean and strict as possible when I can and juggle with MDs when necessary. I'm lucky that I'm not a binger so I don't tend to have UUADs.

I've done lunch out on DDs and just had a bowl of soup and a couple of coffees. However, I'm a late eater and tend to be hungry in the evening, so I'll have to go over my DD cals. The best way is to explain that I'm fasting and sip a hot drink or two while the others eat - we meet for the conversation anyway. Dinner out is inevitably going to be a UD. Sometimes I just have to accept that I can't control the calorie count of the food but I can try to make sensible choices.

In between "messy bits", when life is normal and I have total control of what goes into my mouth, I can be tempted to overindulge, or to want to up my DD cals a bit if I'm hungry. Then I remind myself that I can if I want to, but I'm actually trying to lose weight. That usually helps me stay on the rails!

Because I haven't kept completely strict rotations, my weight loss has been fairly slow. But I've averaged 1lb per week, which means I'm down a dress size and I call that a result.

Wine's my favourite fruit too!!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

I ordered Pterostilbene and Resveratol

Thanks for the new info, tips and tricks everyone! After reading a very long thread on the usage of the supplements above, and with the worry of caving in on a DD if I am starving, I decided to try them. I'll get them middle of next week. And even more than the benefit of not starving, the energy bursts I am reading about sound like heaven on earth! I'd sure love to feel that!

Our festivities are finishing today (25th wedding anniversary and Thanksgiving celebration) and tomorrow (YES, on a Saturday!) I'll begin to curtail what goes into my mouth.. I'm thinkin' a MD on Saturday and Sunday, a LC UD on Monday and then a DD on Tuesday.... and there begins the rotation. I will weigh myself Monday a.m. to see how much I've gained from the last ten days of not paying so much attention to my carbs.

I have a busy week coming up with many engagements out of the house. Some are social and involve a meal out, and some involve work activities where I'll bring my own snacks. My biggest fear is being hungry and caving in, because I have done that on other plans way too often. If I could just tell myself that I am a bit uncomfortable, but I surely won't DIE, and just go with the flow I'd be fine. Being hungry isn't the end of the world!

I also have the "head trash" that my DH, friends, etc. will think "oh, there she goes again... trying something else". It's embarrassing to have failed so often.. Yes, I know.. it's head trash.. And, most people are of the mindset that it's not a good idea to let your blood sugar drop low.. we must do mini-meals. I'll tell you, this whole IF thing was a hard concept to grasp at first. It's against everything else I ever read or learned!

Okay, I'd better stop rambling. Thanks again for everyone's help with this!

Judy (Dipgal)
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #23

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Judy, I think after a few DDs you'll really get your mind wrapped around the concept that, indeed, hunger is not an emergency. Often it's not even uncomfortable. I was really scared when I first started, that I wouldn't ever be able to get low DDs, but you know what? My first DD was not that bad, and I actually was well under 500 calories. Sure there's a learning curve, and sure it's a totally different mindset, but if it doesn't happen right away, just know that it WILL happen, with practice and patience.

I used to get really grumpy if I didn't have something to eat the second I was hungry. I was sure I had blood sugar issues. It was something of a joke, with DH making sure I had something to eat within an hour or two of getting up. I would get shaky and sick to my stomach. That all went away with JUDDD. I can go hours and hours, just knowing that the next day I can eat well and fully.

As for what other people think . . . I also worried about that. I have tried and failed so many times, but this is what stuck, what actually worked for me. I wish the same for you. I'm down over a hundred pounds now, and would not have come this far without JUDDD and the BUDDDs here. They are awesome!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Awesome success story Dawn!! Thanks for the pep talk!! And, keep up the great work!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I've only been on JUDDD for 10 days now, but I'm finding the holidays pretty easy. Every special eating day this season, up until Christmas (as far as I have looked on the calendar, lol) falls on a UD for me. That is, all but one, which is our staff luncheon. I will probably go up to 800 that day, but won't stop my rotations because it will mess up the rest of the holidays...maybe eat a little less than my calorie allotment for the following UD. It all works out, I think. Granted, I don't usually have much of a social life, and don't go out with friends several nights in a row, so I don't know how that would work..

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It sounds like you have a great plan!

You might find DDs a breeze. Or you might have to take some time to get used to them. Whatever works for you is great and right. This is one heck of a journey - focus on the trip and you will arrive at your destination.

As someone who tried to lose weight and tried to stop smoking over and over and over, I empathize with the 'yeah, right' way other people react to another WOE. When I started JUDDDing, DH was - shall we say - less than kind. It took awhile, but he is now down almost 30 pounds and we work hard to keep our DDs and UDs in synch.

Chuckle, I wonder if the JUDDD alternate day approach would work for smoking?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The alternate day cigarette plan would not have worked for me, but I quit 15 months ago using Zyban/ Wellbutrin. I could not be happier between the loss of weight and the loss of cigarettes!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote