Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Bone broth? Some questions...

I've been reading a bit about bone broth, and someone here (I think Nancy?) has mentioned it. I want to try making some for DDs, but I'm not sure where to start.

I've made broth from leftover chicken and turkey carcasses before, but what about beef? Where do you get your bones, and what kind do you ask for? Is this something you can buy from the regular grocery store?
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
LCG, I just made my first batch after Nancy's many recommendations.
I asked for bones at the butcher's section of the grocery store. As it turns out, they were already packaged and in the beef section. I hadn't noticed them before.
Nancy'll have a better recipe. I just simmered the bones in water for hours, cooled it, and skimmed fat off. Then I added salt until it tasted perfect. And my goodness, it was wonderful!
Good luck with it.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I read somewhere, and forgive me for not remembering where, that you should add an acid (ACV or lemon or such) to aid in leeching the minerals from the bones. Apparently that gets a lot more nutrition out of them than just boiling in water. Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm NO cook, and will probably NEVER make bone broth. I just read a lot.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Dawn, Dana Carpender adds vinegar to her broths, and yes, it's to get the calcium out of them. The taste boils away so you don't notice it at all.

I do any broths in my crockpot: set it and forget it for days sometimes. My chicken and turkey broths look like beef broth, they are so brown. And there isn't any flavor left in the bits of meat hanging on the bones, unless you count rope as a flavor; every bit of it's in the broth.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh, more and more I am becoming amazed with bone broth!

When my niece was diagnosed gluten- and lactose-intolerant and put on the GAPS diet. She found she could eat cupcakes (she bakes them for her business) and drink milk as long as she drinks her bone broth. I got interested when I started showing signs of gluten-intolerance. By golly, my GERD has almost cleared up. And what JUDDD did not fix about my pollen allergies is going away with bone broth.

Here goes....

I buy turkey backs (here, they run around 50 cents) and beef bones (when very cheap. And I freeze bones left over from meals. You can, of course, segregate them into fowl and bovine bones. But I lump them all together.

I also freeze veggie trimmings (ends of onions, garlic, snapped ends of beans, celery roots, whatever).

If you want your broth to have a rich dark color, roast the bones in the oven until they turn golden. This does not effect the broth - but the color is so rich that I sometimes roast them.

Dump them in a crock pot, cover with water, add 'deep' flavorings that you want to have just-barely-there in the finished product. Like bay leaves or hot peppers.

Bring to a boil, add 1 Tb of ACV. Lower to a simmer and add more water from time to time. Do this for as long as you have patience. I usually do this initial cooking for two days (hey, we are pulling minerals and thingies out of bones).

A few hours before you expect to finish, dump the veggies into the pot. Bring back to a simmer. Add other seasonings (a second dose of the first really gives a complex flavor - but I usually add herbs and pepper).

Simmer a few more hours until the veggies are limp little rags. Oh, even if you did not roast the bones, the broth usually develops a lovely golden color about this time.

Cool, strain all the veggies and bones out, skim the fat (I usually put the broth into the fridge and let the fat form on top. Yes, I do keep some of it for flavoring other cooking...slather it on chicken before baking, add a bit to ground beef.)

I drink about a cup a day by itself. Adding a dollop of bone broth to canned soup elevates the soup to a whole new level. It makes an easy, glorious gravy. I plan to study soup making this winter.

Interestingly, technically 'broth' is made using meat and skin; and 'stock' is made using bones. This, when I do it, is made using bones, leftover meat and skin. The world calls it 'bone broth' so I go along with the world.

No, I have not figured the calories. I did a little research at first and came up with, defatted, a cup was around 40 calories. My body responds as if this is close to correct.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-17-2012 at 09:22 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Wow, thanks guys for the info, especially Nancy. I am sold, and will look for/ask for bones at the store next time. I think I'll do mine in the crock pot as well. It would be wonderful to have something low-cal and health-giving too.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I forgot to say:

1) After you cool the broth if it is all jello-y and gloppy, then you know you cooked the gelatin out of the bones - and all the other good stuff.

2) You can include store-bought low-sodium stock.

3) I add a capsule or two of powdered gluc to my cup of broth. It gives a silky texture and adds fiber without adding flavor.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
If your grocery store does not have beef bones, I also get them at a local butcher shop & my fave Asian market....where they sell EVERY bit of the animal, including chicken feet! My grandma's generation always saved the chicken feet for making broth!

If you get bones with a lot of marrow, I highly recommend roasting them first (cut side up) and eating the marrow, not just letting it melt into the broth. It's very rich & buttery!

I also sometimes get "oxtails" (beef tails, really...in this country, anyway!!!). They have a LOT of cartilage, as well as bone, so you get a very gelatin-rich broth. There's not always much meat on them, but it gets very tender if you slow cook it.

I also sometimes add unflavored gelatin to my broths, if I'm using bones that don't have much connective tissue & cartilage.

BTW, I have "splashed" too much vinegar into my broths, and ended up being able to taste it, and not liking it. So go easy on it...just a tablespoon is enough, apparently, as Nancy mentions!

Onion skins give the broth a really nice golden color.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-17-2012 at 11:23 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Hum, might be one of next weekend's projects...
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have chicken bones tight now in the fridge and tomorrow morning I shall be at my lovely butcher, he has it all.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbinca
Stats: 165/150/135
Start Date: 2004 - restarted 8-30-2012
LOVE bone broth. So rich so delicious - also good for bones and teeth!
lowcarbinca is offline   Reply With Quote