Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Another newbie weighs in after 6 weeks (this is for you, lil donna!)

I have been lurking for 3 months and JUDDing since Oct 1. Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring and give a progress report as it may help anyone who needs a validation of their process.

I usually decide I will "try something for a month" and see how it goes. I have been an on and off LCer for many years and a few months ago got serious (again) about feeling blah about my health and found the NK thread. I did that for 30 days with good success (went from 156 to 150.2), but by about day 21 I was missing the carbs (such a familiar tune) and my partner was pretty unhappy that our ways of eating weren't meshing. I am a bit of a foodie (I sell wine for a living), so this is important to me. I started wandering the forums for something else to couple with my success with NK. I found JUDD and the biggest convincer for me to hop on the JUDD train was that there are SO MANY PEOPLE AT GOAL AND MAINTAINING!!! So much success and so many people still successful after literally years. Truly inspiring, so thanks to all those who blazed the trail.

I have always felt that since there are so many people in the world with "normal" weight who eat "whatever" they want, there has to be a way I can fit into that group. Why doesn't it work for me? Why can't I have "whatever" I want and still be a "normal" weight? Obviously I used quotations since those two trigger words have a very broad spectrum of definitions.

My mind was opened to portion control (huh?) about a year ago when I learned about the math of figuring out how many cals I should be eating based on size/energy expenditure. I think there is definitely some flexibility there on high and low ends, but I got the message. I couldn't eat "the way I wanted to" and drink copious amounts of alcohol (fyi, not an alcoholic, but I like to enjoy "with gusto" LOL) and have the health/fitness/body I wanted to.

On Oct 1 I weighed in at 149.4. On Oct 31 I weighed in at 149.4. Frustrated much?

On November 1 I weighed in at 147.8 (yay! new low). Today I weighed in at 145.6 (yay! new low)

My Process
I read every thread that had any indication of other people's success/failure/methods/tweaks all the way back to the first freakin' thread on this board. I decided not to be crazy strict as I am not far from goal (140) and if it truly is something I can live with, I want to "live with it" from day one.

LC or Not LC?
From my readings (thanks Happy...) I knew if I went back to a "regular" diet with carbs I would probably gain or at least not go down. Since I had been doing NK (basically, high fat, moderate protein, low carb), I added carbs in slowly for the first week, like eating LC for B/L on an UD and just having a potato with dinner or pasta for dinner - still eating lots of salads and healthy fats. Seems like it didn't matter to the scale, so I just decided to eat "whatever" I want - if that means a Baby Ruth for lunch, then so be it. (That's only happened once, but while I am eating way more salads and avocado than ever, I also eat my share of Egg McMuffins, Buckhorn Cafe, cookies, pastries, etc)

UD/DD
My parameters at first were sub 500-800 on DD and roughly 1600-2200 on UD with some "no counting" UD. I am still following that, though I am now making sure I have at least 2 UD/week where I count cals and stick to the lower end of my range. I think this has helped tremendously as has using a MD instead of doing two UD in a row. I usually have one MD each week which is anywhere between 800-1200. It is surprising that after having lower cal DDs how satisfying 1000 cals can be. I used to to Fast-5 (yes, I've done everything), so on DD I just wait until I can't stand it and then I have a protein drink and sip on that for a couple hours, then have a small meal when I get home from work. I try to stay LC on DD, though yesterday I ate a Trader Joe vegetable lasagne and had no problems with being hungry, so that may change, too.

I have not had much issues with hunger, though when I do I drink 1-2 C broth and that seems to help, though if I drink broth as my first thing on a DD I get starving - I think it has to do with the sodium, but not sure.

One of the biggest changes has been that I have virtually stopped drinking alcohol. By "virtually" I mean I went from 1-4+ glasses of wine 5 days a week to 1-2 glasses of wine one or two days a week - that is a TON of cals. That change has done two things - 1. easy to stay within calorie range and 2. I don't have that "oh well" attitude around what and how much I eat when I am drinking which means I am not "starting over" every Monday morning. One or two UD a week I will have a glass of wine or three or a beer or two (more cals in beer) and that's it. Maybe once a week I will not restrict at all (that means maybe 4 glasses of wine...hard to say...i am getting older and it is harder to recover...LOL)

Exercise
I decided to limit exercise as much as possible even before starting rotations. I play tennis on a team, so instead of killing myself trying to play 4 or 5 tines a week, working out, running, whatever, I now do things that I like/love, like once or twice per week playing social doubles or a 15-30 minute walk or a longer hike in the woods with my partner. I am considering adding some strength training, but not sure how that will work. If I play tennis on a DD, I will only add cals IF I am hungry (up to 300). If not, I don't worry about it. So, about half the exercise I was getting before and still a healthy amount of weight lost.

Weight
I weigh everyday but long ago gave up the emotional attachment to it, so that hasn't been a problem for me. There have been fluctuations but I think I am getting the hang of it after 6 weeks - for the last 4 I have seen a new low each week, though not always the same week day or even after a DD. Today was the first DD that I saw new low in 6 weeks. Most of my "new lows" came on a MD after a DD. Not sure what that means exactly.

Six weeks isn't very long and I may find that something doesn't jibe down the road and I may change or abandon or stray from this path. The big benefits are my home life is much more harmonious around meals, I am in a better mental place with my "food issues" and I am getting to where I want to be regarding health/weight/body image. The most freeing this is that I now CAN eat "whatever" I want. Maybe I'll get to "normal and maybe I won't - I'm pretty happy with where I am right now.

Happy to share more...thanks for sharing my journey...
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Love your post R66, and thank you so much for sharing. It's really hard sometimes for people to not see immediate results and to still trust in the process. I think this will help some of them.

and . . . !!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
You came out of lurkdom!!! YEAH!!!

Thank you for this! It really does help!!!
Like you I see so much success on this WOE and I want it too!

Thanks for all the detail. It makes a lot of sense!

Please post more!
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now. Helped along by Juddd
Welcome! I wonder if three months of lurking breaks a record of some kind.
Love your observations. Thanks.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/199/147?
WOE: JUDDD modified
Start Date: July 11, 2012
Route66 ... I loved your thoughtful post and hope you will post again!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Welcome Route66 and thanks for the update!! It definitely is encouraging to newbies like myself. I like that you have had success even though you haven't be as strict as some. Also, I too am finding that I am less interested in alcohol...have not wanted any this week, and was planning to have wine tonight, which I did, but wanted no more after 2 glasses.

Stick around and keep posting. I like it!
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Welcome! I wonder if three months of lurking breaks a record of some kind.
Love your observations. Thanks.
Based on my join date and number of posts, I think I've been lurking for 7 years!!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Welcome! Loved your story!

I am another who found out I can't have a glass of wine nightly as well. I really do enjoy a glass but I made myself a deal that I will enjoy it regularly when I reach my goal weight. I suspected that my early weight issues had a lot to do with my UD winefest.

Weighing every day is another stressor that I rid myself of right away. I was becoming obsessed and now I have so much freedom in knowing that my weight is not ever going to increase, but instead melt.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Great post-thanks for sharing!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Every newbie success is still a thrill to me!! Love it, and...

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
What a great post! Really good observations and self-reflections, and it all helps. Helps you to understand your body and metabolism, and helps all of us to hear about someone else's experience.

to you, and hope to hear much more from you!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
R66. Thank you for all that you shared. I hope you won't be a stranger and will join in our lively discussions here. I don't drink, but just the other day I said to DW that it must be so hard to have to assign calories to alcoholic beverages since I prefer to chew my calories
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Thanks for sharing your journey and observations, route66! I'm glad that you're finding positive mental aspects and happiness with your journey and where you are right now. It took me a really long time to find a woe where I was actually in a positive place mentally during my weight loss journey, and for me it was JUDDD as well. You have a great attitude and I know you'll continue to do well.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Route66 that was a brilliant post, thank you so much.

I love it when we get a thoughtful testimonial like this. It is brilliant for the Newbies and those like Lil Donna who are feeling frustrated.

Hope to see you posting again!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Thanks for posting - I love JUDDD and it is great to hear success stories!
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Here's an update after 4 more weeks (about 10 weeks total):

The best is that JUDD is so EASY to do. UD are fun and DD are not stressful. I have switched up rotations quite a bit using liberal MDs - usually have 3 DD a week which can range from 400 - 800 or so. For 3 weeks I didn't see a new low and I decided to let go of weight loss mode and be happy with maintaining through the holidays. Lo and behold at 3 weeks and 4 days I saw a new low. LOL

I track all DD and some UD. On those UD I don't count, I really try to be careful with portions - only half a sandwich or kid's portion or Jr popcorn at the movies. I try to stay mindful regarding hunger and satiation. If a food starts to lose its appeal after a few bites, I really try to STOP eating it. I have found that the hardest thing is when I am around OTHER people - don't want to "hurt their feelings" by not eating. That's bad for MY health!!

I am down another 1.5 pounds, but I am in it for the long haul and am totally satisfied where I am right now. Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement and sharing your journeys - it helps more than you know.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuckyLou
Stats: 205/185/...
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: Late Aug 2012
Thanks so much for this route66. I've been a bit wayward on my UDs and while I'm ok with that for December, I am making plans for dealing with UDs after Christmas. I love your idea of sticking to the lower end on 2 UDs and on focusing on hunger & satisfaction.
Well done on working out so well what works for you and thanks for sharing
LuckyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #18

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Brilliant Route 66, wish Lil Donna would pop in.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Thanks for posting your story and update. Very encouraging.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Great thread, R66! So glad you are sharing your journey. I just love your relaxed approach, your ideas and all the details. Thanks for taking time to post!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/165.4/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
wow amazing post!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story on JUDDD. It is soo encouraging and helpful to hear how successful maintenance is with this WOE.

Congrats on your success!!!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for the update. I love your attitude! Very realistic and no stress. Love it!
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
What a great update! It sounds like you are learning about what your body needs and shaping your eating around the knowledge. Hoo-Ha!

"Route66, you are such a thoughtful and analytical person!" she said in complete admiration, "Please continue to share your insights!"

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-13-2012 at 04:45 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I'm so glad someone bumped this up. thank you for sharing! Reading people's progress reports is so helpful for a newbie like me.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Thank you for your post, route66..you seem to be focused and on your way..I want to say that I had an initial loss that opened my eyes..then I just kept reading all of the great posts that people put up when my scale just would not move..some great bits of wisdom from so many, especially Librarygirl and Sunday...their statements fit me exactly, so I hung on to them, and said to myself..I'm going to do this...other people are being successful,..I think we all find we are a little different, and that's ok...if you stay here you will find great support and encouragement.
jaymar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
"Route66, you are such a thoughtful and analytical person!" she said in complete admiration, "Please continue to share your insights!"

Aw, shucks I am a Virgo, so analytical is second nature to me. thanks for the good words...
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
Hi everyone!
I have finally come to the conclusion that if I don't count UD's that I'm not going to lose. I count my dd's and they stay right around 400 but it is my UD's that kill me. I go from 142.0 to 143.4 each and everyday which I am okay with since I have never ever maintained this well before. I am still lower than I was last year. In the new year, I will start counting my UD's and I am sure that the weight will fall off slowly but surely. But for now, I am content. I am still wearing my wedding ring which didn't fit 5 lbs ago so that is my NSV. I could also use some exercise so between exercise and counting, I am sure to start having some scale victories soon enough.

Thanks for the post. It definitely inspires me to keep going.
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Good to see you're still hanging around Lil Donna! We'll all be gung ho after the New Year.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Thanks for the update!! I need to start counting UD's too, as some have mentioned. It will be my New Year's resoultion.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Update #3 - five-ish more weeks on JUDDDD (about 15 total)

I love it when people update their progress, well, no, I hate it when people drop off the face of the board and leave us hanging on their story...so, here is another update. :-)

HOLIDAYS: I happily JUDDDDed through the holidays with a clear idea that if I maintained, I would be really happy. As I reported in Dec, as soon as I let go of the idea of weight loss, I dropped to a new low. Of course, with holidays it turned out that Dec 1 I was 145.8 and Dec 31, I was 145.8. How's that for maintaining? I had 5 days over Christmas where I didn't weigh at all - nervously, I might add, since I have probably gotten a little addicted to weighing daily. I didn't do strict rotations, did not exclude ANYTHING, but I really watched portions, especially during the day. Dinners I allowed myself to feast, but for me, one of the best things about JUDDDD is that my portion control is almost automatic and while i COULD, I didn't overindulge too much.

The Aftermath...so far: My mental state has been more touch and go trying to get back to "weight loss mode" - feeling frustrated with the scale and getting worked up a little about "no progress". My rotations have not been strict - sometimes a few UD or MD/UD in a row, so I know this is a factor. I put that "no progress" in quotes as I need to keep in mind my personal trend is a few weeks of bouncing around and then around the 3rd week of the month I move downward.

Results - not that I am results focused - I think this process is a great one for me, and even with my worries and frustrations above, my overall satisfaction with life, food, my body and my progress is over the top. I have achieved a mental place for me I have rarely been in the last ten years - I CAN eat anything and finally feel like I have a handle on how "regular" people eat (i.e. my wife). The question is, can I do it without obsessing over the details...I'm working on it!! The point is that my personal trending has held true and I am at a new low today! 142.6 for the super curious.

Thanks for reading and I, as always, look forward to seeing your highs and lows as much as my own...