Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Eating sushi on Down Days (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789327-eating-sushi-down-days.html)

Lil Donna 11-15-2012 03:35 PM

Eating sushi on Down Days

What do you eat?
Does anyone know the calorie count for the sushi (that isn't really sushi) that is sticky rice and a steamed shrimp on top if it?

I have tried all calorie counters and can't find a count on those.

SICCHI 11-15-2012 03:45 PM

a hand roll in 150-200 cal. I dont go near it as the rice send me hungry crazy later on like bread. If you like the raw fish though, I think that would be alot lower and way more filling with the protein :)

KeirasMom 11-15-2012 03:49 PM

I just get sashimi and miso, or seared tuna. The rice and sauces with sushi are way too hard to estimate and high calorie for me for DDs.

SICCHI 11-15-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16081336)
I just get sashimi and miso, or seared tuna. The rice and sauces with sushi are way too hard to estimate and high calorie for me for DDs.

Oh yeah, miso soup was a staple at lunch for me during winter :agree:

calichris 11-15-2012 09:56 PM

Try shrimp nigiri or ebi nigiri. My counter has different values depending on who makes it, but a number that came up a couple times is 60 calories a piece.

piratejenny 11-16-2012 03:30 PM

If your grocery store carries packaged sushi, they might have a calorie count on them. I'd think they'd be pretty close to what you get in a restaurant, unless there's a significant difference in size.

sorenkkg 11-19-2012 01:39 PM

I found the calorie count for the sushi from my grocery store (they do "bento" brand) and it was crazy high, like 300 cal for 1pkg of 8 cali rolls.

I generally go for just sashimi-- tuna is less fatty than salmon, white fish is good too. Then a miso soup, and a salad, maybe a wakame (seaweed salad). I think I once got a good sized meal of the above in for about 700 cal. So I saved the whole day and then did that.

But now that I know that sushi with the rice is actually really pretty high cal (for a DD anyway), I save it for UD treats. Also, as mentioned above, the carb factor will play a negative part of your DD, so for me, it's better to stay away.

HellInYourEyes 11-19-2012 01:50 PM

I love sushi! It's a DD for me so this post is not fair! LOL

Lil Donna 11-19-2012 04:22 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that Shrimp Nigiri was only 6 calories. Obviously that was just for the shrimp and not the rice. :stars:

It definitely is looking like an UD only food if I want more than one.

I have no idea what those other "words" are that you all used but I am off to google sashimi and miso.

I am new to sushi. Is wasabi high in calories too? I usually just use a dab and mix it with soy sauce.

Thanks for the help!

sorenkkg 11-20-2012 09:35 AM

no, I don't think the wasabi is worth counting-- it's basically horseradish, and you use just a bit.

Miso-- is a fermented soybean paste that is made into soup (you can find it in "instant" packages if you want to make it at home, or some stores carry it in fresh containers, and is good as a rub on fish or chicken or pork for roasting, in addition to just about any soup).

sashimi is just the raw fish, without rice. So that's just pure protein (and some fat) and is good if you want the flavor of sushi without the carbs and calories from the rice.

wakame is a salad made from different types of seaweed, and usually some sesame oil and a bit of chili-- I love it ;)

Now I'm getting hungry and it's a DD ! :annoyed:

;) s.

stephdray 11-20-2012 09:57 AM

I wouldn't do it

The carbs in the rice--innocuous to me on an up day--would totally make my life miserable on a down day.

Scotty 11-20-2012 10:00 AM

Funny-just now I was offered sushi by two of the "boys" that are going out-I'm not gonna say no!!! :hyst: YUM! :yummy: