Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   19 Weeks on JUDDD -- Yay! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789206-19-weeks-juddd-yay.html)

stephdray 11-14-2012 07:54 AM

19 Weeks on JUDDD -- Yay!

Today's weigh in was 260 lbs, a loss of 1 lb this week, 30 lbs total, 26 of them on JUDDD at a rate of 1.4 lbs a week.

Yay, it's official! I have more to celebrate than the 30 lb mark, too. There is also the fact that my mysterious ailment seems to have gone away.

For those considering JUDDD, here are the upsides and downsides for this week.

Downsides

Up Up And Away Days. As noted last week, now that I'm more than four months into this WOE, my appetite has returned to me on up days in force. While at the beginning of this diet, my stomach seemed to "shrink" dramatically, I think my body has now clued into the pattern and I'm capable of packing it away. The other factor here is that I am going through a phase where I can't be bothered to count on up days. I am overworked, overtired, and the diet is always the first to go. It's something I am getting a better grip on this week, but given the comments on my last post, I'd say it's a 3-4 month mark JUDDD adjustment. (Perhaps it is just diet fatigue, but if that were the case, wouldn't I be falling apart on down days too?)

Complacency. I know Kissa likes to say Relax, Rotate, Rejoice. I think I'm taking her to heart and that's great because I've gone from total anxiety about getting the weight off NOW NOW NOW to sort of shrugging and saying to myself, 'As long as we're going in the right direction, that's fine.' Given the difficulties with my health this past few weeks and my blind panic about finishing a draft of my book by December 1st, I'm not going to beat myself up too much about this, but when the book is done, I'll be out of excuses :P

Upsides

Feeling Better. Knock on wood, the mystery ailment seems to have vanished.

Balance. Even though there have been outrageous up days this week, my down days have been perfect. The fact that I can keep them, even when I'm writing, even when I'm busy, is a revelation. And it's like erasing my sins every other day. One night this week, a friend of mine hit the NYT Bestseller list. We went out to dinner for a wild celebration and I had Osso Bucco, Risotto, Angel Hair Pasta, and Fried Dough. I don't dare even estimate the calories in all that. But the next day, I blunted the damage with a perfect down day. It may not be enough to make me shed pounds rapidly, but it is a tool that I wish I had earlier in my life. I don't think I'd have gained as much weight if I knew how to balance out my own excesses.

Peace. I love JUDDDing. I really do. There are diets I have hated. Diets I have thought might be tolerable. There has never been a diet before that I could say I really loved. Even at its most unpleasant, JUDDD is not very unpleasant anymore. And at its most pleasant, it is a carnival of delight. I am enjoying my life. I am not passing on opportunities to do things and share indulgences and be with people. I am treating myself well, both mind and body. Or at least as well as an author will treat herself before a deadline. The point is, I'm not stressed out. That might lead to a bit too much complacency as I spoke of above, but it's still an amazing facet of this diet. And frankly, I haven't seen many other dieters wax poetic about their WOE the way JUDDDers do. At least not credibly.

A World of Choices. I went into a Trader Joe's this weekend. The fact that I could have anything I wanted...anything that looked good to me...was nearly paralyzing. I had no idea what to put in my cart. I wandered around like a little lost orphan!

Saxy1971 11-14-2012 08:00 AM

Congratulations Steph, and thank you for sharing with all of us! (Especially those of us that seem to get a burst of confidence in sticking to the plan after reading your updates) .... *raising hand* :)

stephdray 11-14-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saxy1971 (Post 16078297)
Congratulations Steph, and thank you for sharing with all of us! (Especially those of us that seem to get a burst of confidence in sticking to the plan after reading your updates) .... *raising hand* :)

Awww, that's the sweetest thing to say!

LoCarbGal 11-14-2012 08:14 AM

Steph - so glad to see your weekly post and ECSTATIC that your "mystery ailment" has disappeared! I was hoping you were scarce because of your book deadline, and not because you were in bed feeling miserable. YAY!

Yes, your posts are most definitely motivating. And since you're about 9 weeks ahead of me, and our stats aren't all that different, they're kind of a heads up about what I may see ahead of me. Really, really appreciate that!

The Trader Joe's thing - too funny! :hyst: I so know what you mean. It's a new experience, isn't it? The world is our oyster now! And our oyster crackers too if we want them! Wheeeeeee!

KeirasMom 11-14-2012 08:22 AM

:up: Lovely update as usual. I'm glad you're feeling better and that you're getting into a calm state of mind with JUDDD. I have no doubt you're going to do just fine with your deadline and even lose a couple of pounds between now and then.

DesertGurl 11-14-2012 08:27 AM

Great update! I can certainly relate to the idea of being able to buy whatever at the store...that was a new experience for me on this way of eating, and I'm still having to remind myself. ;) SO glad that you are feeling better!!! :high5:

Yam-Yam 11-14-2012 09:15 AM

balance out my own excesses.

I loved that phrase! Thanks for giving it to me. :hugs:

You had a great JUDD week. I'm so proud of you. It's fun that all in the "family" here can celebrate every success with each other.

Congratulations on being 30 pounds down! That is friggin' awesome!!!:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

ouizoid 11-14-2012 10:02 AM

Steph--as a sufferer of horrendous, diet-defeating UUAD's I want to say two things:
1) mini-meals on DD's have really helped me not ever feel deprived enough to binge on an UD, and

2) mct or coconut oil in coffee in the mornings on UD's has really quieted down my cravings. I still eat yummy things on UDs but somehow or another, these two habits have knocked the franticness out of my UD"s, and I have been attempting JUDDD for years. YMMV of course.

So impressed with your 30 lbs.

stephdray 11-14-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16078587)
Steph--as a sufferer of horrendous, diet-defeating UUAD's I want to say two things:
1) mini-meals on DD's have really helped me not ever feel deprived enough to binge on an UD, and

2) mct or coconut oil in coffee in the mornings on UD's has really quieted down my cravings. I still eat yummy things on UDs but somehow or another, these two habits have knocked the franticness out of my UD"s, and I have been attempting JUDDD for years. YMMV of course.

So impressed with your 30 lbs.

Thanks! Tomorrow will be a mini-meal day if I can swing it. I'm going to see if I can persuade my husband to make deviled eggs tonight. Each half is about 35-40 calories.

As for the bulletproof coffee, I do it on DDs but haven't attempted it on Up Days because I haven't wanted to spend the calories on it, but perhaps I will reconsider!

stephdray 11-14-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16078341)
Steph - so glad to see your weekly post and ECSTATIC that your "mystery ailment" has disappeared! I was hoping you were scarce because of your book deadline, and not because you were in bed feeling miserable. YAY!

Yes, your posts are most definitely motivating. And since you're about 9 weeks ahead of me, and our stats aren't all that different, they're kind of a heads up about what I may see ahead of me. Really, really appreciate that!

The Trader Joe's thing - too funny! :hyst: I so know what you mean. It's a new experience, isn't it? The world is our oyster now! And our oyster crackers too if we want them! Wheeeeeee!

Happy to be a trailblazer :P

Trader Joe's is like a mecca of deliciousness. I came home with something called COOKIE BUTTER. It looks to be a nutritional monstrosity but it is sinfully good. Fortunately, I ate a few servings of it last Up Day and feel content to leave it alone tonight.

I also tried their Pho. It was good. But I won't do that again on a down day in spite of its low calorie level. It was high enough in carbs that I was a hurting puppy.

Next up? Their Tikka Masala burger...

KeirasMom 11-14-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16078608)
Happy to be a trailblazer :P

Trader Joe's is like a mecca of deliciousness. I came home with something called COOKIE BUTTER. It looks to be a nutritional monstrosity but it is sinfully good. Fortunately, I ate a few servings of it last Up Day and feel content to leave it alone tonight.

I also tried their Pho. It was good. But I won't do that again on a down day in spite of its low calorie level. It was high enough in carbs that I was a hurting puppy.

Next up? Their Tikka Masala burger...

Love their frozen chicken tikka masala with jasmine rice. I bought one of the Phos the other day but haven't tried it yet. I think I'll have it on an UD to see how I do with it. I've avoided the cookie butter, though I love Biscoff cookies, once in a blue moon. I could LIVE at TJ's! :heart:

Yam-Yam 11-14-2012 10:17 AM

I agree about the coconut oil in a hot drink really taking away cravings.

My new favorite any day drink is:

Swanson's Fat Free, low sodium chicken broth in a big, over sized mug.

I heat it up to really hot in the microwave. Then I melt a teaspoon of EVCO in, add half a cap full of organic ACV (gives it the yummiest sweet and sour soup taste - yum-ho!)

I sprinkle in a little RealSalt (sea salt) and a generous sprinkle of oregano.

Wow, it is soooooooo good.

On my first day back on plan after vacation, a DD, my tummy had gone from growling really loud to searing PAIN about mid day. I didn't think I'd make it through the DD and then I read a thread about how JUDDers spice up their chicken broth and decided to try this.

I guess I could call it "bullet-proof chicken broth" though I didn't blend it.

Including the broth, it turned out to be a 390 calorie DD which was so successful considering hunger pain that went totally away after sipping that comfort drink.

Now on UDs I'm having 2 of those sometimes. Really a treat.

Yam-Yam 11-14-2012 10:19 AM

Steph: BTW, do you realize how extremely healthy losing an average of -1.4 pounds a week is???

You got this, Girl!!

You are definitely going to keep it off and keep taking more off. You are a JUDD rock star!!:sing:

Luv2Eat 11-14-2012 10:20 AM

Steph, I love to read your weekly musings, and am sooo happy for you about the mystery illness! :high5: Good luck with your book deadline :up:

ouizoid 11-14-2012 10:33 AM

steph--my hot oil drinks are hot sf lemonade with one tsp MCT oil: 37 calories. two or three of those in the morning (I don't have my first actual food til 10) and the nosh demon is tamed.

mykidsteacher 11-14-2012 10:48 AM

WTG Steph! And so happy to hear your illness has resolved. Love the update as always. I know you'll knock out that deadline and likely lose more in the process.

vilanteira 11-14-2012 10:49 AM

Steph, I'm so glad the mysterious ailment has gone away and that you're feeling better! I look forward to these updates from you and am always happy to see how well you're doing and it's so helpful to see the breakdown like this.

I'm like a kid in a candy store at TJs too, so I can definitely relate! :laugh:

brehede 11-14-2012 11:27 AM

Glad your stomach ailment is gone & well done on weight loss!
I can completely relate to how you have described JUDDD. I also eat too much on UDs and am complaisant about slow weight loss at the moment. I really find it such an easy way to live.

I wonder now why it never occurred to me before JUDDD to make up for over indulgence with very low cal days. I always lurched from LC to over eating carbs and back! I am actually good at fasting, I just can't keep restriction up for too low!

Thanks to everyone for the tips on coping with high UDs - I am going to try to use coconut oil!

Dee

Seabreezes 11-14-2012 11:32 AM

Thanks for the delightful update once again. We look forward to ''our'' resident author's words!

Are you still drinking the bullet proof coffee or did you have to give that up to do away with the mystery ailment?

Hope all continues to go well until you meet your deadline. I thought writing was supposed to be fun - not traumatic! As we read for enjoyment all of the time, we don't realize what goes into the finished product. Thank you for being one of the people who keep me entertained -an author.

gotsomeold 11-14-2012 01:00 PM

260! :jumpjoy: Seems like only a few weeks ago you were terrified you were going to spend the rest of your life stalled at 170.

Which brings me to my never-suppressable comment. I don't think 'Complacency' is le mot juste. Granted, I have been paddling around in the sea of JUDDD Peace for a long time...but I suspect the correct word is 'Security'.

Think about it. How many of us have found magical ways to lose 5, 10 pounds a week...over and over...because the lost weight found it's way back home just as magically as it left. Security is knowing what is gone is really, truly gone.

JUDDD is slow for most of us. No doubt about that. But, you are learning how to have a life that includes celebrating food without being controlled by it. And, you are absolutely right - when the book is done, when the time is right, you will evaluate what you are eating, tune it a bit, and probably increase your loss rate.

You know how. You will know when. Trust has to be earned. And when it is earned, Security.

Flutter 11-14-2012 02:51 PM

Great job, 30# is awesome, but it sounds like you have found a way to live your life happily. Very motivational to this gal right about now. I had pretty much given up on that after gaining & losing the same 60# for the past 15 years. It sounds like heaven to me. Huge kudos to you!!!

Carly 11-14-2012 03:51 PM

Yay is right. Isn't that JUDDD calm just the best? Almost as good as Trader Joe's and having no foods off limit!

SICCHI 11-14-2012 04:11 PM

Ok I'm in Australia and have no idea what Trader Joes is :dunno: but I can totally relate to the 'naughty' side of meal planning! For years I allowed myself 1200 cal a day, every day, and there were foods I would never allow myself to eat. Now every second day I can have those things... I still eat really healthy, lots of salad and veg (because I love them) but I might treat myself to pizza, or last nights lamb roast with all the trimmings, gravy and white baked dinner rolls, omg :yummy:...

Glad to hear you are feeling better Steph, being sick is the worst :cry: well done on your 30 pounds!

sunday 11-14-2012 04:18 PM

OH BOY! 30 is fantastic! :jumpjoy:

The British company Lotus, makes Biscoff and it is delightful and much the same as the Speculoos. If you ever fly Delta Air, the little cookies they give you are Biscoff cookies which is the same as the spread in a cookie. :)

Kissa 11-14-2012 04:27 PM

I should be asleep. But just thrilled to read your latest update Steph.

30 pounds :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

Felling well again, :clap::clap::clap:

May I just say, Relax, Rotate, Reduce, and Rejoice. Just don't get complacent... Okay? :laugh:

C'Marie 11-14-2012 04:43 PM

I really really look forward to your updates. I go looking for them. I'm so happy that you are feeling better, I kept trying to think of something that might help if it continued. I have been plagued with tummy issues, some stress-deadline related (I do taxes - have actually thrown up on 4/15 in the trash can by my desk-ugh) so I can certainly understand. Right now I'm finishing school as well as working full time. I said all that to say, I went and found your books and can't WAIT till I'm done with all the business-tax-consulting reading I have to do so I CAN READ YOUR STUFF for FUN!!!!

stephdray 11-15-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16078899)
260! :jumpjoy: Seems like only a few weeks ago you were terrified you were going to spend the rest of your life stalled at 170.

Because it was only a few weeks ago! Hahaha.

Quote:

Which brings me to my never-suppressable comment. I don't think 'Complacency' is le mot juste. Granted, I have been paddling around in the sea of JUDDD Peace for a long time...but I suspect the correct word is 'Security'.

Think about it. How many of us have found magical ways to lose 5, 10 pounds a week...over and over...because the lost weight found it's way back home just as magically as it left. Security is knowing what is gone is really, truly gone.

JUDDD is slow for most of us. No doubt about that. But, you are learning how to have a life that includes celebrating food without being controlled by it. And, you are absolutely right - when the book is done, when the time is right, you will evaluate what you are eating, tune it a bit, and probably increase your loss rate.

You know how. You will know when. Trust has to be earned. And when it is earned, Security.
You are so wise, Nancy. And I think this thought is going to get me through my down day today. It's a little challenging as I have to attend a group function tonight, but I remember when such challenges would turn me inside out.

Today I'm just thinking, "Well, I'll have a salad. And tomorrow I'll have anything I want."

stephdray 11-15-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'Marie (Post 16079359)
I really really look forward to your updates. I go looking for them. I'm so happy that you are feeling better, I kept trying to think of something that might help if it continued. I have been plagued with tummy issues, some stress-deadline related (I do taxes - have actually thrown up on 4/15 in the trash can by my desk-ugh) so I can certainly understand. Right now I'm finishing school as well as working full time. I said all that to say, I went and found your books and can't WAIT till I'm done with all the business-tax-consulting reading I have to do so I CAN READ YOUR STUFF for FUN!!!!

:heart::heart::heart:

Joyjoy 11-15-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C'Marie (Post 16079359)

C'Marie, her stuff is great. :):heart:

C'Marie 11-15-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joyjoy (Post 16080546)
C'Marie, her stuff is great. :):heart:

I have about a 2-week window in between finishing classes and tax season starting. I can't wait! :birthday::aprayer: