Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
November Newbies -- chat and ask questions here!

I wasn't sure if there was a Newbie thread for November (and was too lazy to look for one), so here's one to get you going!

Use this thread for any questions you have, or just to share your experiences with each other. More experienced BUDDDs will pop in from time to time to answer any questions or offer support/advice.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I started JUDDD last week, November 7th I just finished my third DD yesterday and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now

I've already asked a ton of questions and have gotten great help from everyone
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
I started Oct 28 and in the middle of my 3rd week. The support here has been truly amazing and sooooooo helpful. Thank you JUDDD budds!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yay!!! Thank you for starting a thread, I didn't want to just burst in to various threads and start rambling like the crazy person I am.

Hey, Danielle & Sara! Glad you guys are here. I'm getting ready to take DD to school, but I'm sure I'll be back to see how everyone's doing. Today's my first up day. Oh boy...as I posted in the intro thread, it was more difficult for me to eat breakfast than it was not eating most of the day yesterday. We'll see how today goes!
Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, on an unrelated note, how do I add my name underneath my posts? I'm assuming it's under control panel, but where?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Oh, on an unrelated note, how do I add my name underneath my posts? I'm assuming it's under control panel, but where?
You don't get a signature until you've been a member for 25 days and have 25 posts. So get posting! Then it will be in your control panel.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Yay!!! Thank you for starting a thread, I didn't want to just burst in to various threads and start rambling like the crazy person I am.

Hey, Danielle & Sara! Glad you guys are here. I'm getting ready to take DD to school, but I'm sure I'll be back to see how everyone's doing. Today's my first up day. Oh boy...as I posted in the intro thread, it was more difficult for me to eat breakfast than it was not eating most of the day yesterday. We'll see how today goes!
It's okay, we're all a little crazy. You're in good company

My first UD was weird to me! I had to keep reminding myself to EAT! All of it levels out thank goodness. I find that I actually look forward to DD's... now *that* is somethin!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 911Teri
HELP A NEWBIE?

HELP A NEWBIE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! My name is Teri and I started following Atkins 12 days ago. I have not lost any weight and I'm looking for advice as to why...I will give a brief overview of what I've been doing and will be happy to answer any other questions to try to help me figure this thing out!
I am trying to lose 15 pounds. I have been in ketosis (2nd to the darkest on the stick) for about 6 days. The only type of "cheating" I have done is that during the first week I had two vodka and crystal light drinks per night. I have stopped drinking all alcohol and caffeine but have still not lost any weight! My diet has consisted of meat, eggs, cheese, low carb vegies, and other induction safe foods. I have gone through the "fog" of the first few days, but I'm now feeling fine. I am not near as hungry as I was before the diet, and am doing cardio 4 times a week. Everything seems to be going as it should according to what I have read except for the LOSING WEIGHT PART!! Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. If I have not posted in the right place please feel free to redirect me! I am trying to lose this weight before the Holidays and need all the help I can get!
911Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Teri View Post
HELP A NEWBIE?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! My name is Teri and I started following Atkins 12 days ago. I have not lost any weight and I'm looking for advice as to why...I will give a brief overview of what I've been doing and will be happy to answer any other questions to try to help me figure this thing out!
I am trying to lose 15 pounds. I have been in ketosis (2nd to the darkest on the stick) for about 6 days. The only type of "cheating" I have done is that during the first week I had two vodka and crystal light drinks per night. I have stopped drinking all alcohol and caffeine but have still not lost any weight! My diet has consisted of meat, eggs, cheese, low carb vegies, and other induction safe foods. I have gone through the "fog" of the first few days, but I'm now feeling fine. I am not near as hungry as I was before the diet, and am doing cardio 4 times a week. Everything seems to be going as it should according to what I have read except for the LOSING WEIGHT PART!! Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!!!

P.S. If I have not posted in the right place please feel free to redirect me! I am trying to lose this weight before the Holidays and need all the help I can get!
Hi Teri,

You actually ended up on the JUDDD board, where some of us are low carb and some of us are not. It might be better if you posted this in the Main Low Carb Lobby to get the most responses. Good luck!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 911Teri
Dawn, since I don't even know what JUDDD is, that is probably a good idea, thanks!!
911Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KTOWN28081
Stats: 222/177/145
WOE: Low Carb/Now on JUDDD
Start Date: Low Carb 1/2011, JUDDD 11/2012
Hi everyone..
This is the start of my 2nd week. I'm surprised that I only had 350 calories last night
and got up this morning with only a normal appetite. I could only eat 1/2 of my lunch
today and felt like I was stuffed. Can I continue with the same calories after my 2 weeks, that I'm doing now? (350 DD and 1800 UD). I've lost a few pounds and was aggravated at first because I was losing and gaining the same weight. Then found out
that I wasn't eating enough on my UD. My daughter is considering doing this diet. She's wondering if she can do sort of a DD M-TH and UD on Fri-Sun. I know she probably wont
lose as much. Thanks again for all your help.
KTOWN28081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTOWN28081 View Post
Hi everyone..
This is the start of my 2nd week. I'm surprised that I only had 350 calories last night
and got up this morning with only a normal appetite. I could only eat 1/2 of my lunch
today and felt like I was stuffed. Can I continue with the same calories after my 2 weeks, that I'm doing now? (350 DD and 1800 UD). I've lost a few pounds and was aggravated at first because I was losing and gaining the same weight. Then found out
that I wasn't eating enough on my UD. My daughter is considering doing this diet. She's wondering if she can do sort of a DD M-TH and UD on Fri-Sun. I know she probably wont
lose as much. Thanks again for all your help.
DD M-TH will surely put her in starvation mode (as you saw from your own experience of not eating enough on the alternate days). It's not advisable. If she can't do rotations, she might be better off with a standard low calorie diet or low carb -- something that's more stable.

Regarding your calories, no need to change them until/if they stop working for you. Some here have been able to use the same calories all through their weight loss.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mabel_418
Hello! I posted last week and introduced myself. Although I haven't responded until now, I want to say thanks, I appreciate all the responses I got!

I was going to start last week, but things got in the way. So, Monday was my first UD and yesterday was my first official DD. I surprised myself and did really good too! I have some leftover protein puddings from another diet, each has 80 cals, 7 carbs, and 12g protein. I had 3 yesterday for a total of 240 cals! According to the calculator I'm allowed 404 cals, but I really had no desire to have a fourth pudding. The crazy part was that it wasn't even that hard! Before bed last night I started to want some food really bad, but during the day it was a breeze. I've even used my nordic track skier the last two days for the first time in years (even though I can only do 15 mins on it right now).

I have a question though... Monday morning, the beginning of my first UD, I weighed 220 pounds. I weighed my self this morning after my 240 cal DD, and I weighed the exact same. I was really bummed and started thinking maybe this won't work for me, although I know it has only been one day. I just thought I would see some loss! Does this sound normal?

Thanks!
Mabel_418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel_418 View Post
Hello! I posted last week and introduced myself. Although I haven't responded until now, I want to say thanks, I appreciate all the responses I got!

I was going to start last week, but things got in the way. So, Monday was my first UD and yesterday was my first official DD. I surprised myself and did really good too! I have some leftover protein puddings from another diet, each has 80 cals, 7 carbs, and 12g protein. I had 3 yesterday for a total of 240 cals! According to the calculator I'm allowed 404 cals, but I really had no desire to have a fourth pudding. The crazy part was that it wasn't even that hard! Before bed last night I started to want some food really bad, but during the day it was a breeze. I've even used my nordic track skier the last two days for the first time in years (even though I can only do 15 mins on it right now).

I have a question though... Monday morning, the beginning of my first UD, I weighed 220 pounds. I weighed my self this morning after my 240 cal DD, and I weighed the exact same. I was really bummed and started thinking maybe this won't work for me, although I know it has only been one day. I just thought I would see some loss! Does this sound normal?

Thanks!
Absolutely normal. Check out the daily weigh in threads. Weight loss isn't linear, and many of us have wacky weigh-ins, but the trend is always downward. I sometimes lose after an UD, gain after a DD, and anything in between. After a while it won't even phase you.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I was wondering how you calculate a restaurant meal...I ate lunch out and am uncertain how many calories I consumed (UD), although I am completely stuffed! I find I'm looking forward to tomorrow! What I ate was, one piece of fried chicken, a leg (breaded), small portion of rice (1/3 c. approx.) with about 1/4 field peas, 1/2 c. cooked greens, 1/4 macaroni and cheese and a med. size piece of carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Anybody want to guess?

Last edited by Librarygirl; 11-14-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Does the restuarant have calories counts for their food?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm about 3 weeks into JUDDD, still finding the down days challenging but getting easier.

Based on experimentation, it seems easiest for me to have coffee with a little cream on DD and then wait to eat until 4-5 pm. Eating more, such as a couple of boiled eggs, early on doesn't actually prevent mid-day/early afternoon hunger for me, so I might as well save my calories (I'm aiming for 300-500 on DD, but sometimes go a bit higher) until dinner time, when i'm really hungry. Does that match anyone else's experience?

I sometimes eat less than the JUDDD calculator suggests for my up days--I hate getting into the habit of eating when I'm not hungry, since I've been working against that habit for the past year. I figure that as long as I'm getting more than 1000 more calories on my up days than on my down days, it will maybe be okay. Does that sound reasonable? I know we all have to see what works for us as individuals, but I'm curious about whether others are also frequently eating under the calculator-specified number of calories on their up days.

Thanks for the advice. This board is certainly very supportive and helpful.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Does the restuarant have calories counts for their food?
No, not really. It's on campus where I work. I might check the web site...doubtful. Seems like about 1000 calories though doesn't it? Ok, I checked and did get the calorie counts, but since I didn't measure, nor did I clean my plate, it's difficult to ascertain...but safe to say it was around 1000 to 1300 calories. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting in my cals for today, lmao!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 11-14-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I was wondering how you calculate a restaurant meal...I ate lunch out and am uncertain how many calories I consumed (UD), although I am completely stuffed! I find I'm looking forward to tomorrow! What I ate was, one piece of fried chicken, a leg (breaded), small portion of rice (1/3 c. approx.) with about 1/4 field peas, 1/2 c. cooked greens, 1/4 macaroni and cheese and a med. size piece of carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Anybody want to guess?
I just plug what I ate into my online calculator and know it will be much closer than guessing.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
No, not really. It's on campus where I work. I might check the web site...doubtful. Seems like about 1000 calories though doesn't it? Ok, I checked and did get the calorie counts, but since I didn't measure, nor did I clean my plate, it's difficult to ascertain...but safe to say it was around 1000 to 1300 calories. I don't think I'll have any trouble getting in my cals for today, lmao!
LOL I was gonna ask if you actually *ate* all of it. I hate being "charged" for calories that I don't eat but better to aim higher just in case

Sven~ I shorted myself 400-600 calories on several UD's and had bigger gains on the scale, but that's just me. I tend to do better when I eat all of my calories. I'll follow that until it stops working and then go from there.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm about 3 weeks into JUDDD, still finding the down days challenging but getting easier.

Based on experimentation, it seems easiest for me to have coffee with a little cream on DD and then wait to eat until 4-5 pm. Eating more, such as a couple of boiled eggs, early on doesn't actually prevent mid-day/early afternoon hunger for me, so I might as well save my calories (I'm aiming for 300-500 on DD, but sometimes go a bit higher) until dinner time, when i'm really hungry. Does that match anyone else's experience?

I sometimes eat less than the JUDDD calculator suggests for my up days--I hate getting into the habit of eating when I'm not hungry, since I've been working against that habit for the past year. I figure that as long as I'm getting more than 1000 more calories on my up days than on my down days, it will maybe be okay. Does that sound reasonable? I know we all have to see what works for us as individuals, but I'm curious about whether others are also frequently eating under the calculator-specified number of calories on their up days.

Some do fine eating less than the calculator gives. I slow down or stall if I don't get close to my UD calories. If you're having a hard time getting close and want to try it for a while, adding highly caloric foods seems to work without making one feel overstuffed. Think higher fat meats, add butter to your veggies, choose items like nuts, avocados, nut butters, etc. I often make up whatever I'm lacking in . . . wine! I can do some caloric damage with wine.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

LOL, Dawn. I plan to do some caloric damage with wine Friday night.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Caloric damage for me = beer. I guess I'm just not refined enough to do wine LOL
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #24

I don't think it's refined if it comes in a box.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I don't think it's refined if it comes in a box.
good one!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You don't get a signature until you've been a member for 25 days and have 25 posts. So get posting! Then it will be in your control panel.
Ahhh, that makes sense! Ok, give me a few days, I'll get it! Until then, I'm nameless...that could be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabel_418 View Post

Thanks!
When I lost a bunch of weight on south beach, the scale never ever made sense. I'd say it's normal! Hang in there! I'll be griping with you, I'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post

Obviously I have no knowledge of how this works, but I can tell you that I'm only at 1100 cals today and I'm stuffed. Ugh. Maybe the down days are the world's best appetite suppressant! As for not eating on down days until later, i'll be doing that tomorrow, too. Yesterday (my first DD) I was really hungry by 2ish and had a cheese stick. Bad idea, I was more hungry afterwards. I'm used to eating protein and snacking alot from SB, gonna take some adjustments!

Quote:
Some do fine eating less than the calculator gives. I slow down or stall if I don't get close to my UD calories. If you're having a hard time getting close and want to try it for a while, adding highly caloric foods seems to work without making one feel overstuffed. Think higher fat meats, add butter to your veggies, choose items like nuts, avocados, nut butters, etc. I often make up whatever I'm lacking in . . . wine! I can do some caloric damage with wine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Caloric damage for me = beer. I guess I'm just not refined enough to do wine LOL
Not a wine or beer girl, but I love me some rum & diet coke...or margaritas. Good thing I didn't start back up over the summer when I madly love frozen margaritas. Yea, that could easily be my calories for up days!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

How many calories in a bottle of wine?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #28

If you figure 105 per glass (depending on the wine) and 4 glasses per bottle, you're looking at 420. Does it seem like I've researched this topic??
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #29
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
If you figure 105 per glass (depending on the wine) and 4 glasses per bottle, you're looking at 420. Does it seem like I've researched this topic??

I don't actually drink any alcohol-diet coke is my drink of choice
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'll be sure to save room.