Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   hypothyroid JUDDD budds (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789080-hypothyroid-juddd-budds.html)

babybella 11-12-2012 09:30 AM

hypothyroid JUDDD budds

I've been taking Armour thyroid for years, and lately have felt really bad. My new ENDO switched me to Synthroid/Cytomel which I'm not tolerating too well (feeling very stimulated). I've decided to titrate up by taking a half the synthroid and foregoing the cytomel.

When I was first diagnosed I was on a low dose of Synthroid, and gained 25 lbs... my question is: was there a certain dose you needed to get to on Synthroid before you could lose weight on JUDDD?

I was making pretty good progress with rotations despite many UUADs!! Now it seems after only one week after stopping Armour that I'm stalling..

Gina

sunday 11-12-2012 09:37 AM

I am still on Armour thyroid and couldn't tolerate the Synthroid personally. I believe Dawn may have an answer for you, she was diagnosed after beginning JUDDD and as you can see she has lost wonderfully after diagnosis.

KeirasMom 11-12-2012 10:42 AM

I am on just Synthroid. I was diagnosed in March after already having lost about 45 pounds without medication, and with horrible symptoms. My weight loss actually slowed a little around the time of my diagnosis and subsequent medication. However, as I mentioned, I already lost 45 pounds, so I don't know if it would have slowed anyway, or if the medication had anything to do with it.

I was started at 25 mcg generic (levothyroxine) and have gradually been increased to 75 mcg. My new endo said she'd put me on Cytomel if I wanted it, since I'm still having symptoms, but my TSH is in range, and FT3 and FT4 are in range as well. I opted NOT to try Cytomel at this point, and she suggested I try brand name Synthroid instead of the generic. She indicated that the dosing is more accurate with name brand, than with generic. I've been on the name brand for about 2 weeks. I have started exercising, which I didn't have the energy to do before. Again, I don't know if it's the meds or not. As you know, it takes several weeks to a couple of months to feel any difference from a dosage/med change.

It does seem like with each dosage change, my weight loss slows a little, but then returns to normal(ish) within a few weeks. I think it's just the way MY body reacts to the stress of new or increased meds. Not much help, I know, but that's all I've got. :laugh:

canadiangirl 11-12-2012 10:43 AM

I too have hypothyroidism (thyroid was removed at 19), I have been on a low dose of eltroxin ever since. Is Armour a natural source?? Is it something an MD doc would perscribe or just a natural doctor?? I am able to lose weight, slow but better then nothing, but my hair is breaking again and I am so sluggish ( these two symptoms come hand in hand for me when things are out of whack)

babybella 11-12-2012 02:06 PM

Thanks for the replies!

My fingers are crossed that JUDDD will help me overcome the weightloss struggles that occured in the past on Synthroid. I just have to keep saying, "it's not a race to the finish line!!"

I was on 3 grains of Armour (180mg) which was prescribed by regular doctors. Some will prescribe it and some will not. My new prescription is for Synthroid 125mcg and Cytomel 25.

Some say dessicated thyroid is better, but I think it's all individual. I feel better so far on Synthroid, as long as I only take 1/2 of the 125. I assume eventually I'll be able to raise to 125 and up.

Debrat3 11-13-2012 10:56 AM

I have been hypo for manyyears. At this time I take armour and synthroid too. I can tell when I am getting too much my heart starts racing. Just recently I back off on my armour until I settle down. If you have hashimotos you go from hypo to hpyer I guess??? I can NEVER seem to regulate my thyroid where I just feel great. I hate it but its what I have to deal with. I think the thing todo is get rugualar blood work to see where your levels are at and doze according. I take 60mcg armour and 50 synthroid twice a day. I am going to go in again this week for more bloodwork to see where my levels are.
Oh I forgot I have read armour has been changed and not the same as it was a few years ago, that could be the problem too.