Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What supplements/vitamins do you take? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/789040-what-supplements-vitamins-do-you-take.html)

Lil Donna 11-11-2012 08:41 PM

What supplements/vitamins do you take?

I take nothing right now but thinking of going back to D3 since winter is coming.

What do you take and what do you think it does for you?

mom23kids 11-12-2012 04:56 AM

D3 (I'm very deficient)

probiotic-to keep things 'moving' but it also helps digestion, immune system etc

magnesium-this is labeled as bone/muscle help, but it was recommended as another 'keep things moving' supplement lol. Since I started taking the pro-biotic and the magnesium my constipation has totally disappeared!

fish oil-brain/eye

baby aspirin-doctor's orders to help prevent another blood clot, but also good for heart.

SummerAnne 11-12-2012 04:59 AM

I try to take:
Multivitamin
Krill oil (MegaRed) (I can't do standard fish oil OR flax oil, I've tried)
Calcium
D3
Biotin (I have weak nails & very thin hair)

I really need to get back in the habit. Wish I could afford a tests to see what I'm deficient in, but no insurance sucks in many ways.

KeirasMom 11-12-2012 06:25 AM

Other than a beta blocker and thyroid hormones, I take:

Calcium/D3 combo (advised to take because of thyroid disease and absorbtion issues)
Multivitamin w/iron (same reason as above)

That's it.

LoCarbGal 11-12-2012 06:28 AM

Multivitamin
Calcium +D3
Vitamin C
D3 every other day - may stop this when I run out
Probiotic every other day - may stop this when I run out

The D3 and probiotic I started when I was having an allergy flareup, complete with hives, about a year and a half ago. Research online led me to them due to possible leaky gut syndrome, and D3 helping with inflammation issues. Not sure if they helped, but (along with daily Zyrtec) I haven't had any hive issues since they finally went away. I'm hoping with JUDDDs inflammation reduction that I won't need all that anymore!

Luv2Eat 11-12-2012 10:18 AM

Multivitamin
Calcium
Vitamin D
sometimes:
Magnesium
Zinc

Kissa 11-12-2012 10:23 AM

Diatomaceous Earth
D3
Magnesium
Glucosamine (megadose, has really fixed my knee :))
Sometimes cod liver oil

TryingJudd 11-12-2012 10:25 AM

Multi w iron
D3
B12
Magnesium
Krill oil
Evening primrose oil
Probiotic

Demonica 11-12-2012 11:01 AM

Multi w/ iron
just started fish oil
magnesium
St Johns wort
Garlic
acidophilus

svenskamae 11-12-2012 12:28 PM

Multivitamin for women, w/out iron
Chromium plus vanadium (for blood sugar control)
Magnesium (for blood pressure and blood sugar control)
CoQ10 (for blood sugar control)
Cod liver oil for vitamin A and D (lemon flavored, 1 teaspoon/day)
Alpha Lipoic Acid (for blood sugar control)
Selenium (for detoxing from mercury)
Folic Acid (for hair and nails)
Resveratrol (mentioned as having results similar to JUDDD in Johnson's book)
Milk thistle (for liver detox)

I'm not sure that I'll continue to take all of the above, but I've got them on hand now and will at least go through my current bottles of supplements.

pink princess 11-12-2012 12:36 PM

1000mg vit c plus rosehip
2 billion acidophilous
multivit with iron

Kissa 11-12-2012 12:38 PM

Oops I forget Ptero on DDs.

pink princess 11-12-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kissa (Post 16074522)
Oops I forget Ptero on DDs.

That is a new one on me, what is it? :dunno:

Kissa 11-12-2012 01:08 PM

Sorry, used to using the shortened form, Pterostilbene see the thread here. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...e-results.html

pink princess 11-12-2012 01:10 PM

Thanks, I;ll have aread :)

Carly 11-13-2012 03:38 AM

pterostilbene
resveratrol

once in a while:
Calcium/ magnesium/zinc

Lil Donna 11-13-2012 11:43 AM

Thank you for all your input. I know I should take vitamins/supplements but I hate taking pills. I am never consistent. I need to change that.

What is the difference between Pterostilbene and Reservatrol?

That one confuses me and I want to try one of them. But which one?

Carly 11-13-2012 04:52 PM

If you are going to pick one- my vote is for the pterostilbene! It is supposed to mimic a fasting state. Now, I don't know about all that or any science behind it, but I get additional crazy energy from it. Maybe appetite suppression, but I was never super hungry so I don't really know. I do eat less than 200 calories on DDs effortlessly:dunno:

jem51 11-13-2012 05:10 PM

I have stopped all but the basics;

Mineral mix
V-C
D3

adillenal 11-13-2012 06:04 PM

I recently bought spray D3 which I really like. Easy to use and I am reallly bad about fogertting to take my vitamins. I take pterostilbene and a few other things I can't spell.

b_lou_who 11-14-2012 08:40 AM

multi with greens, zinc, b complex, probiotics, c w/bioflavonoids, l-carnitine, pterostilbene, ALA, D3, K2, 5-HTP, theanine serene with relora

Lil Donna 11-15-2012 01:19 PM

Thank you for all the input.

I finally got to the store to look at vitamins. I bought a Multi-Vitamin with D3.

I then went to Sams Club and lo and behold, I found 120 capsules of RESVERATROL (300 mg) with pterostilbene (20 mcg) for $14.98.

WOO HOO!!!!

I'm going to get started today. Something needs to kick start this WOE!

Avy 12-31-2012 05:06 PM

I''m going to resurrect this thread! I've been maintaining my weight at about 200lbs for months, but finally decided to stop being lazy and get back into the vitamins and supplements, and weighing, measuring and tracking everything I eat because I want to continue to lose. I'm starting a big vitamin cocktail, spread out over the day, mostly based on the book The Diet Cure, which I love.

I take the following spread out over the day:

Chromium GTF for cravings, blood sugar
Biotin for hail and nails
L-Glutamine for cravings and appetite control
5-HTP for cravings and mood, helps you sleep at night
GABA for sleep at night with the 5-HTP, I take these instead of melatonin now
Vitamin D3 for mood and other health benefits
B100
Omega 3 oils
Probiotics (the kind you have to keep in the fridge)
Vitamin C with ribo-whatsits
Calcium
High quality multivitamin

It really looks like a lot, and I won't take them forever, but I feel better when I have the 5-HTP, chromium and L-Glutamine and don't eat ALL DAY LONG like I normally feel like doing...100% psychological, no actual cravings (usually) and definitely none taking these supplements, just bored and could munch on low carb foods all day long every day. I eat normally less than 20 carbs a day, always less than 25, know I'm in Ketosis and have been for a long time over the last 7 months, and I've never experienced that mysterious lack of appetite and hunger that so many claim exists on low carb. :P

Librarygirl 01-02-2013 05:59 PM

I recently started taking probiotics and will continue that if nothing else. Having stomach problems twice this past year was enough discomfort/pain to ensure that. I cannot take multi-vitamins because they make me nauseus. I can take the children's chewables, but I haven't in a long time. I have so many bottles of multiv's that have gotten wasted over the years. Might look into taking D3. I also have trouble taking pills every day.

svenskamae 01-02-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil Donna (Post 16081060)
Thank you for all the input.

I finally got to the store to look at vitamins. I bought a Multi-Vitamin with D3.

I then went to Sams Club and lo and behold, I found 120 capsules of RESVERATROL (300 mg) with pterostilbene (20 mcg) for $14.98.

WOO HOO!!!!

I'm going to get started today. Something needs to kick start this WOE!

Those are great prices. I spend a lot more than that for separate bottles of Resveratrol and Pterostilbene (and order the latter from Amazon). I notice my down day appetite is better controlled the days that I take those supplements.