Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
My DD shake experiment

I'm just starting JUDD and this is the first time in my life that I'm counting/tracking calories (on top of still trying to be low carb and low sugar). It's a bit overwhelming and when I saw that Dr. Johnson recommended shakes for DD's I decided to look into them, to help ease me into the program. What I didn't realize was that there's a ton of shake choices out there So I've decided to do a shake experiment, to find out which is the best tasting/best option for DD's

I went to Meijer and started with the most obvious choice-Slim Fast. This was actually the highest calorie/carb/sugar option out there, which really surprised me. Next highest was the Special K line. For the amount of calories and carbs, neither of these are a viable option for DD's.

Next I looked at the Atkins line. The Day Break line has 140c/10carb/7f/0sugar per serving. I got a 4pk, in the creamy chocolate shake flavor. ($6.79)

There was a line called FullBar, but its numbers were higher so I passed on their shakes, for now.

Next-Designer Whey brand shakes. Each serving is 100c/5carb/2f/3sugar. I got a 4 pk of the chocolate flavor. ($7.99)

That was it for the 'diet' section, however Meijer also has a large section devoted for 'workout' products. There was lots of shake options here-all touting 'high protein' shakes for body building etc. There was at least 5-6 shake options so I picked one at random. I got a 4pk of EAS Advant Edge Carb Control shakes, in chocolate fudge flavor. Each serving is 110c/4carb/1f/0s ($4.88)

I plan on eventually trying every low calorie option Meijer has, in the $10 or less range (for a four pack). For my experiment I am going to drink ONE shake on my DD's, and I'll rotate through the three choices I have. After I'm out of these three (12 servings), I'll go back to Meijer and buy 3 more brands. I will keep track of which ones taste best, make me feel full, etc. It's going to take a couple months to get through all of the choices, but then I'll know which one will be a DD staple for me I'll post my finds here, for those of you who are also interested in shakes for your DDs.

Today is an UD for me, so I'll start my experiment tomorrow!

Last edited by mom23kids; 11-10-2012 at 11:21 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: (Pre-HCG 291)275.2/170.4/175 AT GOAL
WOE: 411(2005)/291(Jan. '12)/170(NOW) HCG/now JUDDD/LC
Start Date: LC~Jan. 20, 2012 hHCG~March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I'm just starting JUDD and this is the first time in my life that I'm counting/tracking calories (on top of still trying to be low carb and low sugar). It's a bit overwhelming and when I saw that Dr. Johnson recommended shakes for DD's I decided to look into them, to help ease me into the program. What I didn't realize was that there's a ton of shake choices out there So I've decided to do a shake experiment, to find out which is the best tasting/best option for DD's

I went to Meijer and started with the most obvious choice-Slim Fast. This was actually the highest calorie/carb/sugar option out there, which really surprised me. Next highest was the Special K line. For the amount of calories and carbs, neither of these are a viable option for DD's.

Next I looked at the Atkins line. The Day Break line has 140c/10carb/7f/0sugar per serving. I got a 4pk, in the creamy chocolate shake flavor. ($6.79)

There was a line called FullBar, but its numbers were higher so I passed on their shakes, for now.

Next-Designer Whey brand shakes. Each serving is 100c/5carb/2f/3sugar. I got a 4 pk of the chocolate flavor. ($7.99)

That was it for the 'diet' section, however Meijer also has a large section devoted for 'workout' products. There was lots of shake options here-all touting 'high protein' shakes for body building etc. There was at least 5-6 shake options so I picked one at random. I got a 4pk of EAS Advant Edge Carb Control shakes, in chocolate fudge flavor. Each serving is 110c/4carb/1f/0s ($4.88)

I plan on eventually trying every low calorie option Meijer has, in the $10 or less range (for a four pack). For my experiment I am going to drink ONE shake on my DD's, and I'll rotate through the three choices I have. After I'm out of these three (12 servings), I'll go back to Meijer and buy 3 more brands. I will keep track of which ones taste best, make me feel full, etc. It's going to take a couple months to get through all of the choices, but then I'll know which one will be a DD staple for me I'll post my finds here, for those of you who are also interested in shakes for your DDs.

Today is an UD for me, so I'll start my experiment tomorrow!
Hi mom23kids...

LOL...I coulda told you all of that! I use the EAS brand myself, along with the Pure Protein powder mix found at Walmart. Also, there are some great non-choc. type proteins that can be ordered online called Nectars...my fave is Lemon Tea & Roadside Lemonade...these are great for slushy type of shakes. There are tons more brands to choose.

HTH~Angela
Crazy PreK Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy PreK Teacher View Post
Hi mom23kids...

LOL...I coulda told you all of that! I use the EAS brand myself, along with the Pure Protein powder mix found at Walmart. Also, there are some great non-choc. type proteins that can be ordered online called Nectars...my fave is Lemon Tea & Roadside Lemonade...these are great for slushy type of shakes. There are tons more brands to choose.

HTH~Angela
I'm going to try the EAS brand on Tuesday
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Established

Started my experiment this morning with the Designer Whey chocolate shake. 100c/5carb/2f/3s (10.5 ounces)

Don't like the taste at all-very sweet, but no chocolate flavoring. Feels like I'm drinking sugared milk
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Dakini
I like Metagenics UltraMeal Rice in their chocolate flavor. So many drink mixes are soy based, and unless it's organic soy, I'm really wary of it. I mix just 1 scoop (95 calories, 1/2 serving) in almond milk, and I'm not hungry again till my next meal time.
Dakini is offline   Reply With Quote