Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
Strict lowcarb and JUDD

So I am trying to find the missing key to get my weight loss moving again. I am at the last 10 pounds and it has been very slow for the last couple months. I am pretty sure my problem is over eating so that is what brings me to JUDDD. Do others do JUDDD and follow a strict low carb plan on "up" and "down" days? Is this going to make it exceptionally hard to stick to?
For those who do follow low carb (under 20g) and Juddd how do you feel your weight loss has gone compared to High fat, moderate protein, low carb?

Last edited by canadiangirl; 11-08-2012 at 07:08 AM..
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
From what I see, the majority of JUDDD'ers just count calories and don't worry about carbs. There are a few who do JUDDD and LC together. I personally have been just calorie counting and not worrying about carbs at all. Even if I have a bad weekend of eating carbs and high calorie, JUDDD is very forgiving. On low-carb I could gain 10 lbs. over a weekend!

It's a personal choice, but the JUDDD plan is not a low-carb plan.
Gracie514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Hi, Canadiangirl. I'm not a long-time JUDDDer, only about 10 weeks, but I 've found that down days are by nature Low Carb. For example I eat lots of salad, shredded cabbage, spinach and other veggies for the volume. I eat them with lean protein like ground turkey or deli sliced chicken breast (for the low calories). I also like to make "pizzas" with low-carb tortillas or Flatout flatbread, some thawed frozen artichoke hearts, and non-fat Feta or a sprinkle of low-fat Mozzarella, with or without some protein.

Check out some of the food ideas for down days and you'll find they are often LC.

On up days, I eat whatever I want. I worried about carbs for many many years (check my join date) and now don't think about them. I'm losing weight slowly but surely, and that weight is those last 10 pounds. Like Gracie, I could easily put back on some hard-won pounds overnight or over a fun weekend.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos

Last edited by Zib; 11-08-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I do keep fairly low carb on JUDDD, but I have added (occasionally) back some more starchy veggies and fruits. I've had one serving of bread since starting JUDDD, and the world didn't come to and end! I've had pizza. Last night I had 5 Dove milk chocolate/peanut butter pieces. I had about 270 calories I needed to get in for my UD, and those just sounded good. 5 was plenty and felt like a real splurge.

I'm getting braver about adding back the occasional carb treat, but my body really feels so much better controlling carbs, that I don't want to give that up. Over time, I'm sure I'll find the level of carbs I can eat and still feel really good.

It's all up to you how you do this. You can start out one way, and adjust over time, or just throw caution to the wind and start eating carbs on day one if you want! Just know that there may be a gain of several pounds in the short time while your body assimilates the carbs, builds up glycogen, and retains a bit of water.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
The first 30 days I stayed under 20 net carbs on both UD and DD. On the 31st day I threw caution to the wind and never looked back. I may have had a small initial bounce, but nothing major. I only count calories and LOVE IT!!!! I don't think my losses would have been much faster if I had stayed LC, but I would have been miserable, that's for sure!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Well, this is my first official day on JUDD, so by no means am I an expert lol. But, I am a huge fan of Gary Taubes and feel very strongly that a low carb AND low carb sugar diet is what is healthiest for me. So, I will still be eating lc/ls while doing JUDD. I will be keeping my carb intake at around 30 a day and sugar under 20 grams a day. My UD calories are 1750 and starting out my DD calorie intake will be 500. It will take a bit to figure out the balance but I think it can be done

eta: today is my first DD and my carb intake is going to be 19 for the day, sugar is 5.5 g, and calories intake is going to be 459.

Last edited by mom23kids; 11-08-2012 at 09:01 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Carly, you make me want to come back to JUDDD...

Over 48 pounds! That is just great.

I am afraid to go back because, when I found I could eat cake every other day, I ate cake, cake, and a little more cake! When they had cookies at work on my DD, I would wrap a couple up and eat them first thing the next day... I was bad, but I was still losing weight!
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the great advice....
My biggest problem is moderation! I ALWAYS over do it! I did Atkins 3 years ago, lost 20 pounds and became obsessed with everything, the scale (both human and food), trackers of carbs, food, you name it everything. So this approach I have been easy going and just ensuring I stayed low carb, between 20-30g a day. It has worked, 25 pounds in 5 months. Most of which came off in the first 3 months. I expect it to slow as I am smack down in the middle of my ideal weight but I want more! So now I know I need to chill out on calories to an extent but because I am all about quantity this might work good for me. I tried "sommer sizing" for a couple months and I did lose weight but I never got over my cravings (a little bit was never enough) so I had to go back to low carb. I either have to have it or not have it at all. I improvise and in turn have found some amazing low carb recipes for breads and pizza crust which is all I really miss.

I plan to start tomorrow as I wasn't even thinking about it this morning and over did calories on my breakfast and I am not willing to starve the rest of the day. So today I will try to aim for 17-1900 calories (the up day down day webiste said 1933) and tomorrow it will be 500 for DD's for the first two weeks and after that we'll see what happens.

Last edited by canadiangirl; 11-08-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
Thanks for all the great advice....
My biggest problem is moderation! I ALWAYS over do it! I did Atkins 3 years ago, lost 20 pounds and became obsessed with everything, the scale (both human and food), trackers of carbs, food, you name it everything. So this approach I have been easy going and just ensuring I stayed low carb, between 20-30g a day. It has worked, 25 pounds in 5 months. Most of which came off in the first 3 months. I expect it to slow as I am smack down in the middle of my ideal weight but I want more! So now I know I need to chill out on calories to an extent but because I am all about quantity this might work good for me. I tried "sommer sizing" for a couple months and I did lose weight but I never got over my cravings (a little bit was never enough) so I had to go back to low carb. I either have to have it or not have it at all. I improvise and in turn have found some amazing low carb recipes for breads and pizza crust which is all I really miss.

I plan to start tomorrow as I wasn't even thinking about it this morning and over did calories on my breakfast and I am not willing to starve the rest of the day. So today I will try to aim for 17-1900 calories (the up day down day webiste said 1933) and tomorrow it will be 500 for DD's for the first two weeks and after that we'll see what happens.
We can do this together, since we're both just starting out I kind of started yesterday with an UD but I did not count my calories at all-even had two pieces of pumpkin pie bake Weirdly enough I was down a pound this morning Today is my first DD and so far it's going good-I had two hard boiled eggs for b-fast and just had a serving of habanero bbq almonds for 'lunch'. Tonight I'll have a lc tortilla with turkey and a 1/2 serving of Italian dressing (1tbsp).
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
We can do this together, since we're both just starting out I kind of started yesterday with an UD but I did not count my calories at all-even had two pieces of pumpkin pie bake Weirdly enough I was down a pound this morning Today is my first DD and so far it's going good-I had two hard boiled eggs for b-fast and just had a serving of habanero bbq almonds for 'lunch'. Tonight I'll have a lc tortilla with turkey and a 1/2 serving of Italian dressing (1tbsp).
Sounds like a fantastic plan!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I have experimented alot with Low Carb and JUDDD. I tried doing JUDDD and not restricting my carbs, just counting calories. I have tried several times to include some candy and bread (especially cinnabon pretzels with icing) here and there, but I always end up with the same result. I cannot restrict myself on sugar, period. It sends me straight into a binge.. So I personally have to stay low carb. No candy not even sugar free candy, no bread and no pasta. I feel better when I stay low carb anyway.

Down days I eat celery with peanut butter measured out on it, broccoli steamed in chicken broth, tuna with mayo, tilapia with Frisch's tartar sauce (it is 95 calories for 1 tbsp and has no added junk ingredients), and eggs. Stuff that is naturally on the low carb side anyway.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl View Post
Sounds like a fantastic plan!
Well, due to an event on Saturday I'm going to push my UD/DD cycle back a day and make tomorrow my first DD, instead of today, which means we'll also be on the same cycle I'm glad someone else is starting at the same time with me, so we can figure it out together
Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I used to do LC but found that I was always going up and down with my weight over the years. If I had carbs I would binge and I had very little control of my appitite. I was always fighting with myself and it was taking up a lot of my energy always thinking about dieting or needing to go back on a diet as I had gained all the weight back again. I decided to try JUDDD without doing the LC and I struggled with my appetite on UD's for the first 3 months but lost weight quicker than I had in years. I now have no issues with binging or eating too much. I get full on a reasonable amount of food and I can eat a handful of chips with out finishing the bag. For me this is a big deal. I think the fasting has somehow fixed my metabolic issues. That is a guess but I at any rate feel "cured". This is the only way I can describe the change this way of eating has had on me. It doesn't sound like everyone is the same on the carb issue. I just know what worked for me.
As far as going to a very lean weight using JUDDD I really don't know from personal experience or how much LC would effect weight loss. I would guess that the benefit might come from keeping your metabolism burning calories from the up down cycle on food consumption.i also found that JUDDD increased my muscle mass and lowered my percentage of body fat making me considerably smaller at a heivier weight. If you are wanting to be smaller and not just lighter there might be some benefits as well. Keep us posted on what works for you.

Last edited by Babsbabs; 11-08-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote