Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #2041
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillyBee View Post
I dont know if the 'lean' catagory is a good or bad thing. Can you explain to me if i have too little muscle or something?

We are in ireland for another month then moving on to france until next winter, but i do use the US web sites for things like bmi, body distribution and calorie counts sometimes, what is the GB definition of 27%?
'Lean' puts you in a slender category for the US. It puts you in the 'healthy' range for the UK(pdf) (we don't do 'lean' here). Glenys Jones, a nutritionist from the Medical Research Council’s Human Nutrition Research unit takes a more updated view, and recommends that women should aim to keep their body fat between 25 to 28 per cent; men should aim for around 20 to 25 per cent. tbh, I think that given the measuring uncertainties of various technologies, Jones' bands are too narrow and the one for women should be 25-30.

I can't judge how much of your LBM is muscle (as opposed to all of the other bits and pieces make up LBM). However, it's useful to have a good amount of skeletal muscle because the muscles act as part of the insulin signalling system and contribute to metabolic health

I hope that you continue to feel good on JUDDD. Whereabouts in France are you moving?

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #2042
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MillyBee
Stats: No scale ATM
WOE: juddd
Start Date: March 3,2014
muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

I hope that you continue to feel good on JUDDD. Whereabouts in France are you moving?
Thank you. It will be in the norther part of Lot, to a small village near the town of Martel. I am becoming excited about it, also keeping busy with most of my time learning french.

yes, have to agree with you, especially as we all will age, skeletal muscle will be great to have on our bones, seems the more we have the better our bones in those golden years will be!

I cant get over how active you are SLow, so amazing.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #2043
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: in_waves
Stats: 177/177/130
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 25, 2014
Newbie!

Hi Guys! I'm a newbie to JUDDD, transitioning over from Atkins after sticking with it for a few months and not really getting anywhere -- I'm thinking I might need a mix of low carbs and calorie restriction.

Today is my first fast, and so far it is going pretty great, I'm not hungry or foggy or anything at all, I feel pretty happy and normal, am chugging away at work, and will work out at 4pm for 20 minutes with HIIT, and will probably go to the gym for 45 minutes tonight for a fairly low-intensity workout (3 10-minute miles on an elliptical and some weight machines). On my up days, my plan is to still stay pretty low carb -- I am not a person that needs dessert everyday, but I do like to eat 1-2 servings of fruit a day, a great variety of veggies, and beans. I plan to continue to limit grains, breads, and pastries except for the occasional treat, but I am so tired of not enjoying going out to dinner because I am not sure what ingredients are in my food, or not being able to have a glass of wine with dinner, or not being able to have a slice of cake on my birthday!

I am currently 5'6" and 177 lbs and will be 30 in a week. I am accepting of my weight possibly going up for a bit as I am no longer going to be restricting carbs to 20g per day, but am also keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't

Per Dr. J's calculator, my induction DD calories are 438 and my UD calories are 2192. I wonder if you all can give me an idea of whether or not it is okay to deviate from these numbers? I ask because I am probably about 12 calories over my DD and plan to be while I am on this plan, and I don't know that I will be able to eat 2192 calories on my UD? That is a lot of food. Normally I eat between 1400-1600 calories and could probably get up to 2000 some days, but I highly doubt that I can hit that number everyday. If I only eat 1800 calories, will this not work for me? Is my 12 calorie overage going to mess me up, or is that approximate?

In terms of exercise, I work from home and have a desk job so I am pretty sedentary. Five days a week I do a HIIT workout for 25 minutes, or go to the gym and do a 1/2 hour run on the elliptical and around 15 minutes of weight training. I also try to make yoga twice a week for an hour, but I don't really count that towards my exercise as it is pretty gentle, as is my 20 minute round-trip walk to the gym.

I am curious to know what macronutrients promote the greatest success for you guys on your DDs. I am a big, big fan of bulletproof coffee, so that is where my calories come from today and probably will come from on all of my DDs unless you guys think that I am going to sabotage myself this way. For those of you that don't know, bulletproof coffee is just coffee with 2T grass-fed butter and 2T MCT oil in it -- I also add 6 drops of liquid stevia and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract to mine to make it super tasty and enjoyable. This gives me 400 calories, and they all come from fat. My additional 50 calories come in the form of gelatin -- I make a pint of gelatin with 2T gelatin powder (50 calories), 1/4 tsp of a flavor extract (usually anise), and another few drops of stevia mixed into water (just like regular jello, just not processed and yucky and a bit thicker), and I have just been munching on a spoonful at a time throughout the day as I feel like chewing. It has no fat, no carbs, and is 100% protein.

Another thing I am curious about is whether or not folks ever do back to back DDs? I wonder about this as I am going to go away for the weekend next week, and I am wondering if I should do two DDs (Thu & Fri) in order to have two UDs (Sat & Sun), or if I should just do alternate days through the week and then just have UDs on Sat & Sun and just continue on from there? Or if I should try to only have 500 calories per day while on vacation? I will still be in the induction period when we go away, but I also plan to stay here for a while unless it gets difficult. Maybe I should just consider from now until we get back to be a sort of warm-up/trial to get myself used to it, and then consider my induction period to be the two weeks after we return? Would love your feedback. Thanks for reading
Old 04-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #2044
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: weasel!
Stats: 156/154/125; 5'7", small frame
WOE: JUDDDD/LCHF/Paleo/WAPF/whole foods
Start Date: restart LCHF 1/2014; restart LCHF/JUDDDD 4/2014
Restarting JUDDDD with my first down day starting tomorrow, Monday. It worked so well for me before. Here goes again!
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #2045
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
Restarting JUDDDD with my first down day starting tomorrow, Monday. It worked so well for me before. Here goes again!
back!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #2046
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
in_waves! Seems like we're already old friends from the other threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weasel! View Post
back weasel! It'll be just as great his time around!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #2047
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Carol and Carly!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 AM   #2048
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Weasel and What a charming avi photograph.

You already know what you're doing from your previous experience and success with JUDDD It's so interesting to read the details from 2009 in your signature.

I'm incurably nosey so ignore this if it's intrusive - is there any particular reason you've lowered your target weight to 125lbs when it was 138lbs back in 2009?

Last edited by SlowSure; 04-07-2014 at 02:37 AM..
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #2049
Major LCF Poster!

Hi SlowSure, thank you for the welcome!

My target weight was always 125.

138 for me was the border of VFT -- Virgin Fat Territory -- meaning a weight never achieved during previous weight loss efforts.

I guess now I'll have to call 137 the border for VFT, because I got to 138 in 2009!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #2050
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bigmama
Stats: 309/287/?
WOE: Atkins/paleo
Start Date: March 2014
Staring JUDDD tomorrow and hoping for the best! I've been in Ketosis for over a week and the scale hasn't budged so alternative fasting just makes sense at this point.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #2051
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainardt View Post
Oh my gosh Dawn! If a JUDDD rockstar like you hasn't read the book, then it definitely isn't necessary. You're a giant inspiration, so I shall follow course
That's what I'm screaming!!
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #2052
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar View Post
Hi. My name is Sharolyn, I'm 45 years old and have been trying to figure out the Trim Healthy Mama diet when I read in the book about the JUDDD, so I followed the link in my ebook here. I've been doing low carb since end of year, using Atkins but found it wasn't working well for me. I'm hypothyroid with PCOS so I'm not sure if that's why. Well, I would love to check JUDDD out more to see it it may be easier than THM. Thanks!
Hi Shar!! Just wanted to stop by & say !! We share the same first name but, I go by Shari & always have. It's not as uncommon as it was when I was growing up. Now, I find lots of Sharolyn's on facebook! I'm about 20 years older than you tho. I encourage you to read lots of threads & join in often!! This is a great place to learn & the people are so kind & helpful, too!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #2053

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmama View Post
Staring JUDDD tomorrow and hoping for the best! I've been in Ketosis for over a week and the scale hasn't budged so alternative fasting just makes sense at this point.
! I bet JUDDD will be just the boost you need to get the losses moving. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #2054
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
! I bet JUDDD will be just the boost you need to get the losses moving. Good luck!
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:43 AM   #2055
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, if you want to stay in ketosis, then ADF will help to keep you there (kcal restriction as well as other methods will put/keep in ketosis). So, to JUDDD and I hope that the induction period of trying out the DDs reveals whether or not it's a good fit to your lifestyle.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:50 PM   #2056
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
I am trying JUDD out for two weeks Wish me luck
Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #2057
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvkoala5373
Stats: current: 190.0 - goal: lose 40 lb +/-
WOE: Just following a low carb diet
Start Date: December 2014 {again}
Newbee to JUDDD - Hi all

Good afternoon all. I want to lose about 35 lbs -mostly to feel better about myself [and to fit into the clothes sitting in the spare closer] I've been reading all the posts on here all day [here at work] LOL I think this would work all whole lot better for me than just LC'ing. DBF is not into LC and I make him his pasta, potatoes, rice, and I always have to pass. I just received an order from Netrition, so that stuff is good too. I'm going to give this my best shot-probably mixing LC with JUDD. I'll doing whatever/however I can in the next 2 1/2 weeks [leaving for FL for 2 weeks next Tuesday] the DD might be a little difficult while eating out for 2 weeks -ugh - so - Ill have to see 'how it goes' with basically LC [kind of] till we come back the 28th. I'm liking what I'm seeing here so . . ... Ill keep watching/reading even while we're down there [laptop comes along] to get the motivation really high. Ill get the pool as exercise while there anyway and walking on the beach - Thanks for just being here!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #2058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
Good luck Party! I said the exact same thing "I'll try this for 2 weeks" when I first tried JUDDD. That was in September 2012! It's a wonderful WOE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvkoala5373 View Post
Good afternoon all. I want to lose about 35 lbs -mostly to feel better about myself [and to fit into the clothes sitting in the spare closer] I've been reading all the posts on here all day [here at work] LOL I think this would work all whole lot better for me than just LC'ing. DBF is not into LC and I make him his pasta, potatoes, rice, and I always have to pass. I just received an order from Netrition, so that stuff is good too. I'm going to give this my best shot-probably mixing LC with JUDD. I'll doing whatever/however I can in the next 2 1/2 weeks [leaving for FL for 2 weeks next Tuesday] the DD might be a little difficult while eating out for 2 weeks -ugh - so - Ill have to see 'how it goes' with basically LC [kind of] till we come back the 28th. I'm liking what I'm seeing here so . . ... Ill keep watching/reading even while we're down there [laptop comes along] to get the motivation really high. Ill get the pool as exercise while there anyway and walking on the beach - Thanks for just being here!!!
Welcome! It's good that you have a couple of weeks to get accustomed to JUDDD before your trip. But I will say that it's pretty hard for many of us to rotate successfully on vacations even when we've been doing this WOE for awhile. So don't be too hard on yourself if you don't manage to stick with it all the time. You can just dive back in when you return home to your normal routine. Heck though, you may be to stick with it beautifully!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #2059
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luvkoala5373
Stats: current: 190.0 - goal: lose 40 lb +/-
WOE: Just following a low carb diet
Start Date: December 2014 {again}
Thanks LCG! Im on the DD today - see how this goes - Im hungry already - but it is 11:03 - I'm going to really try to keep it at 500 +/- a few - looking forward to tomorrow already - to eat a bit more - we'll see how today goes. I probably will not be able to do well while in FL - although Ill try my best. I want to try to stay kind of low carb too if I can - I'm hoping 'a little of this, a little of that' will help.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #2060
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UtahDesert
Stats: 170?/121/120
WOE: JUDDD/IE
Start Date: 1/27/2014
Hello to everyone! I've been reading the threads here in the JUDDD subforum for a couple of months, and finally took the plunge today and registered. Here's my story:

I've done LC off and on since 1996. Since about 2003 I was doing what I think of as basically LC with indulgences whenever I really wanted them. So I stayed away from sugary things (except for fruit) unless they were something extra-special, and I wouldn't eat plain bread or potatoes or pasta but I did have stretches where I'd regularly treat myself to breaded and fried dishes because I (thought I) couldn't resist. I didn't count calories. Eventually my weight crept up to somewhere in the 170s. (I don't weigh myself when I'm unhappy with my weight.)

This January I came across the idea of intermittent fasting, and I started reading on it. The idea of fasting with the reported health benefits appealed to me. Before I'd always accepted the conventional wisdom that this would be bad for weight loss, so hearing that the kind of approach that I kinda had the urge to do might work was very cool.

So I started the JUDDD WOE on January 27. I first weighed myself on February 25--159.5. (I wish I knew how much I lost that first month, but I could tell from the pants that I moved from the basement to my closet and vice versa that it was a decent amount.) Now I'm at 148.5. I'm not sure if the 130 I've listed as my target weight is realistic, post-menopause, and I actually have more of a target date than a target weight--I want to lose as much as I can by May 7. That's the day I fly to Warsaw, Poland for nearly three months. I'll be seeing a lot of old friends, acquaintances, and colleagues; participating in conferences; and generally living the big-city life in a place I know very well. (I'll also see my husband for the first time since Christmas vacation, and he has no idea I've been losing weight.)

I've been pretty happy on this WOE. I've enjoyed the idea that I'm still making progress even while including some high-quality (in terms of enjoyment) carbs on up days, and I can find a relief in simply not worrying about food on the down days. The only time I've gone off schedule was a three-and-a-half day visit to my stepson and his wife and my baby granddaughter. I made use of what I'd learned--I never have to eat--so the only meals I ate while there were enjoyable dinners every night. (I never ate by myself.) I came home and found with relief that my weight was one pound lower than when I left.

A couple weeks ago I started to get discouraged by hitting an apparent plateau. So after a while I decided to shake things up (influenced by a post I read here!) and add in very-low-carb for 9 days. It's worked great in terms of weight-loss (2.5 pounds in 7 days) and I'm glad to know that the ketosis effect still works for me. (Oddly enough I've had my most difficult down days ever while doing this.) I'll be tempted to try this for longer, but I promised my daughter a restaurant night out on Sunday and I also need to see--well before I leave for Warsaw--if I can switch out of very-low-carb to just JUDDD without gaining it back. I would love it if I really could throw in a very-low-carb week whenever I need to for morale or taking off regained weight.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #2061
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Welcome Utahdesert

You are doing great!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #2062
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cianna
Stats: 185/185/135
WOE: South Beach/JUDDD
Start Date: April 2014
Hi New Friends,

I'm new here and just learning about intermittent fasting and JUDDD. I've started reading Eat, Fast and Live Longer (or something like that) and am loving the science behind it.

I just turned 50 and, honestly, had given up the hope that I'd ever be able to lose the weight that's slowly crept on over the years. Now I'm so excited and hopeful, I can hardly stand it. Back in my slender days, I naturally cycled calories/fasted, just because that's how I liked to eat. I never started gaining weight till I tried to eat all the meals we're told we should eat.

I'm thrilled - thrilled - that I'm allowed to skip meals and don't have to answer to the Diet Police - lol! I've never had a problem with fasting and love how I feel when I do.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers -
Cianna

Last edited by Cianna; 04-11-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #2063

Wow UtahDesert! You have done great! I'm so glad you decided to start posting with us. You're going to make a lot of really great new friends here.

Your husband is going to be sooooooo surprised, and I'll bet pleased. How exciting!

The plateaus do happen, and seems like more and more as we get closer to our goal weight. I guess our bodies just really want to hold on as we get lower. I'm glad your shake-it-up worked and you're on your way again.

Keep on posting!
Old 04-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #2064

Hi Cianna! aboard! How interesting that you used to eat this way intuitively. So you're coming "home". I'll look forward to getting to know you better!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #2065
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 41 pounds down (with LC IF), 102 more to lose.
Start Date: March 16th 2014 reset:12/1/14
Hi Ladies
Old 04-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #2066
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
I hope you just love JUDDD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof7 View Post
If 2 weeks don't yield the results you are looking for I would suggest 4 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvkoala5373 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDesert View Post
Hello to everyone! I've been reading the threads here in the JUDDD subforum for a couple of months, and finally took the plunge today and registered. Here's my story:

I've done LC off and on since 1996. Since about 2003 I was doing what I think of as basically LC with indulgences whenever I really wanted them. So I stayed away from sugary things (except for fruit) unless they were something extra-special, and I wouldn't eat plain bread or potatoes or pasta but I did have stretches where I'd regularly treat myself to breaded and fried dishes because I (thought I) couldn't resist. I didn't count calories. Eventually my weight crept up to somewhere in the 170s. (I don't weigh myself when I'm unhappy with my weight.)

This January I came across the idea of intermittent fasting, and I started reading on it. The idea of fasting with the reported health benefits appealed to me. Before I'd always accepted the conventional wisdom that this would be bad for weight loss, so hearing that the kind of approach that I kinda had the urge to do might work was very cool.

So I started the JUDDD WOE on January 27. I first weighed myself on February 25--159.5. (I wish I knew how much I lost that first month, but I could tell from the pants that I moved from the basement to my closet and vice versa that it was a decent amount.) Now I'm at 148.5. I'm not sure if the 130 I've listed as my target weight is realistic, post-menopause, and I actually have more of a target date than a target weight--I want to lose as much as I can by May 7. That's the day I fly to Warsaw, Poland for nearly three months. I'll be seeing a lot of old friends, acquaintances, and colleagues; participating in conferences; and generally living the big-city life in a place I know very well. (I'll also see my husband for the first time since Christmas vacation, and he has no idea I've been losing weight.)

I've been pretty happy on this WOE. I've enjoyed the idea that I'm still making progress even while including some high-quality (in terms of enjoyment) carbs on up days, and I can find a relief in simply not worrying about food on the down days. The only time I've gone off schedule was a three-and-a-half day visit to my stepson and his wife and my baby granddaughter. I made use of what I'd learned--I never have to eat--so the only meals I ate while there were enjoyable dinners every night. (I never ate by myself.) I came home and found with relief that my weight was one pound lower than when I left.

A couple weeks ago I started to get discouraged by hitting an apparent plateau. So after a while I decided to shake things up (influenced by a post I read here!) and add in very-low-carb for 9 days. It's worked great in terms of weight-loss (2.5 pounds in 7 days) and I'm glad to know that the ketosis effect still works for me. (Oddly enough I've had my most difficult down days ever while doing this.) I'll be tempted to try this for longer, but I promised my daughter a restaurant night out on Sunday and I also need to see--well before I leave for Warsaw--if I can switch out of very-low-carb to just JUDDD without gaining it back. I would love it if I really could throw in a very-low-carb week whenever I need to for morale or taking off regained weight.
Join right in. I'll bump the April newbie thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cianna View Post
Hi New Friends,

I'm new here and just learning about intermittent fasting and JUDDD. I've started reading Eat, Fast and Live Longer (or something like that) and am loving the science behind it.

I just turned 50 and, honestly, had given up the hope that I'd ever be able to lose the weight that's slowly crept on over the years. Now I'm so excited and hopeful, I can hardly stand it. Back in my slender days, I naturally cycled calories/fasted, just because that's how I liked to eat. I never started gaining weight till I tried to eat all the meals we're told we should eat.

I'm thrilled - thrilled - that I'm allowed to skip meals and don't have to answer to the Diet Police - lol! I've never had a problem with fasting and love how I feel when I do.

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers -
Cianna
it's nice to see so many new JUDDD buds.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #2067
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yes, I'll echo Carly, welcome to the new folks and jump in as many threads as you want! Post & read away!!
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #2068
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Cute new photo, Flutter!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #2069
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Hi Utah, luvkoala, Cianna and Party.

Look forward to reading about your journey.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #2070
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
to all of the 's!!
Closed Thread