Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #2011
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brainardt
Stats: 212/192/170 (1st goal) 5'8" 27 y.o
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 31, 2014

Welcome Shar & Momto4minions!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #2012
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Sharolyn! Glad you found your way here. This is a great place to learn more about JUDDD. Read as much as you can on all the threads, ask questions, and when you're ready, jump on in!

Momto4minions! Dawn is a great JUDDD cheerleader (not to mention Rock Star!) and I think you'll love this community. Hope to see you posting often!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #2013
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shar
Stats: 172/158/140
Start Date: March 2014
Thanks for the warm welcome. Do you think I should download the book or is there a better resource. I was going to get the kindle version if it is worth it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #2014
Senior LCF Member

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't read the book. I got my calorie calculations from the JUDDD website and everything else I need to know I've found out by reading the threads here and asking questions.

ETA: I only haven't read the book because I am a cheapskate. I would like to read it eventually, I just don't think it is necessary for JUDDD success.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #2015

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainardt View Post
Well I can't speak for everyone, but I didn't read the book. I got my calorie calculations from the JUDDD website and everything else I need to know I've found out by reading the threads here and asking questions.

ETA: I only haven't read the book because I am a cheapskate. I would like to read it eventually, I just don't think it is necessary for JUDDD success.
I keep "intending" to get the book, but still haven't, after over 2 years, and I'm maintaining now. Many here like having the book, but it's really not necessary for success. Nearly all the information you need is on Dr. Johnson's website. What isn't there is readily available here.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #2016
Senior LCF Member

Oh my gosh Dawn! If a JUDDD rockstar like you hasn't read the book, then it definitely isn't necessary. You're a giant inspiration, so I shall follow course
Old 03-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #2017
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar View Post
Hi. My name is Sharolyn, I'm 45 years old and have been trying to figure out the Trim Healthy Mama diet when I read in the book about the JUDDD, so I followed the link in my ebook here. I've been doing low carb since end of year, using Atkins but found it wasn't working well for me. I'm hypothyroid with PCOS so I'm not sure if that's why. Well, I would love to check JUDDD out more to see it it may be easier than THM. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto4minions View Post
Hi all. I have been doing JUDDD for a few weeks after doing IF. I met Kieras mom on another site and she suggested this community as a great resource. Looking forward to getting to know you all.
to both of you!!!

I have PCOS and juddd has worked wonders for me.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #2018
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shar
Stats: 172/158/140
Start Date: March 2014
Oh that's great about not reading the book. Dr J's site looks pretty educational. How do most of you figure out what you are going to put on your menu? I'm sure there's a variety of reasons, do I need to worry about carbs/fat or how to combine foods?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #2019
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Oh that's great about not reading the book. Dr J's site looks pretty educational. How do most of you figure out what you are going to put on your menu? I'm sure there's a variety of reasons, do I need to worry about carbs/fat or how to combine foods?
JUDDD only cares about the calories, but your unique body may care about the types of food you feed it. I don't particularly measure any macros, but some JUDDD Buds do.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #2020
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Hi, and welcome. I'm relatively new, too (1 1/2 months), and have found lots of support and help here. be a great .

Everyday I figure out tomorrow's menu. I try to be heavy on the protein and include some vegetables. If it's an UD, I include blueberries or a banana. When I began JUDDD, I started my menu with a sweet on my UD menu, then figured in healthy foods . I've found sweets on an UD affect me the next DD, so I'm not including them very often.

I almost never follow the menu I've decided on, however, so I count calories as I eat (suggested by Dr. Johnson). It surprises me that what sounds good and reasonable one day isn't going to be satisfying the next.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #2021
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hi, and welcome. I'm relatively new, too (less than 2 months), and have found lots of support and help. There are lots places here that offer great information. I did get the book (kindle) and found it interesting, but think the support here works just as well.

Everyday I figure out tomorrow's menu with a calorie counting book. I try to go heavy on the protein, include vegetables and a couple of ounces of non-fat yogurt. If it's an UD, I add blueberries or a banana. When I began JUDDD, I started my menu with a sweet on my UD menu, then figured in healthy foods , but I've found eating sweets on an UD affects me the next DD, so I try not to eat them very often. I almost never follow the menu I've decided on, however, so I count calories as I eat (suggested by Dr. Johnson). It surprises me that what sounds good and reasonable one day isn't going to be satisfying the next.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #2022
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MillyBee
Stats: No scale ATM
WOE: juddd
Start Date: March 3,2014
Hi Everyone!

So far this woe is wrking for me very well.

i am hungry on the dd but have found, and i really was surprised, that the last few up days not a problem with over eating like the first few UD were. I read what some of you had written about that but i didnt beleive it would happen to me, so grateful that has been true so far.

I have spent years on calorie restriction and didnt wAnt to keep doing that,gave it up and gained weight. I tried low carb, enjoyed all the nice fatty foods i had missed for so long, but wasnt losing, in fact may have put on a few more pounds over the 6 weeks of low carb dieting.

I'm not very overweight at this point but the problem is that after years of severely restricting calories and weighing below the proper bmi I was having to eat below 1200 a day to maintain my weight (125-130). I am just short of 5'7" and walk for groceries and errands everyday.

So my goals now are to lose the 15 to 20 pounds, reclaim my 125 ish level and settle in to maintenance, hopefully eating well above 1200 calories ąt least every othter day.

Does anyone think that could be possible?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #2023
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillyBee View Post
So far this woe is wrking for me very well.

i am hungry on the dd but have found, and i really was surprised, that the last few up days not a problem with over eating like the first few UD were. I read what some of you had written about that but i didnt beleive it would happen to me, so grateful that has been true so far.

I have spent years on calorie restriction and didnt wAnt to keep doing that,gave it up and gained weight. I tried low carb, enjoyed all the nice fatty foods i had missed for so long, but wasnt losing, in fact may have put on a few more pounds over the 6 weeks of low carb dieting.

I'm not very overweight at this point but the problem is that after years of severely restricting calories and weighing below the proper bmi I was having to eat below 1200 a day to maintain my weight (125-130). I am just short of 5'7" and walk for groceries and errands everyday.

So my goals now are to lose the 15 to 20 pounds, reclaim my 125 ish level and settle in to maintenance, hopefully eating well above 1200 calories ąt least every othter day.

Does anyone think that could be possible?
!!!! I would imagine that it would be kind of hard to maintain 125 at 5'7" since that seems quite thin, but if it's possible for you that juddd just may be the ticket.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #2024

MillyBee! I'm so glad you've been enjoying JUDDDing and that your UDs are leveling back into control. So many of us have to go through that in the beginning.

I agree with Carly - my first instinct when I read your height and goal weight was that it is quite low, but you know your body best. If that is where you feel best, and you've been able to maintain there before, I would imagine you could get there again. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #2025
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
after years of severely restricting calories and weighing below the proper bmi I was having to eat below 1200 a day to maintain my weight (125-130). I am just short of 5'7" and walk for groceries and errands everyday.

to JUDDD, MillyBee, and I hope that you have a good experience while trying it out.

As you may know from the forum and the book, Dr Johnson is cautious about the appropriateness of alternate day fasting for people who have years of eating restriction in their history as he's apprehensive about people nudging towards disordered eating. It feels unfriendly to highlight this but you have mentioned prolonged, severe kcal restriction and maintaining below the recommended BMI range. Of course, I hope you blossom under the regime and enjoy the freedom of UD when you can adapt to eating more kcals and lose (or, eventually maintain when you're at goal).

As for the target, I wonder if you might eventually modify that as you continue to explore JUDDD? And start considering what an optimal lean body mass (LBM) might be for someone of your age and height? At 5'7", a nice range of lean body mass (everything, bones, blood, organs, muscle - that isn't fat in your body) might be 110-150lbs: if you've a decent amount of LBM and a reasonable level of body fat, then you can look much trimmer at greater scale weights than you would at a substantially lower weight (muscle is denser than fat so occupies a lot less space - and if it's toned, even more so).

Do you have any idea what your current body composition is?

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #2026
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My name is Sharolyn...I'm hypothyroid with PCOS so I'm not sure if that's why. Well, I would love to check JUDDD out more to see it it may be easier than THM. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto4minions View Post
I have been doing JUDDD for a few weeks after doing IF. I met Kieras mom on another site and she suggested this community as a great resource
A belated to Sharolyn and Momto4minions!

Sharolyn, I see that you've hooked up with Dawn/KeirasMom and Carly who can speak about their own experiences with similar conditions.

Momto4minions, it's always good to meet a trying out JUDDD. I hope that you discover it's a good fit to your life.

If either of you has any questions, do post them in the March Newbies thread or elsewhere so that more people have a chance to meet you and answer the questions in a timely manner.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #2027
Junior LCF Member

Hi, thank you Carly, Lowcarbgirl and Slowsure for the welcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
I dont have a scale now, so not really possible to know about body fat. I usually tend to be ok though, even when thin i seem to be blessed with a good amount of muscle due to early childhood bike riding, and once grown lots of walking up and down hills for groceries and errands as well as pretty steady yoga and or chi gong routines that I do.

I agree with you though, the tendency to desire to be maybe a bit too thin can be a problem. I do have a light frame so can stand to be at the bottom of the bmi range. However, having read some recent research I noted that really long lived women have bmi at the top of the healthy range in some studies. Nevertheless, vegans and those who fast have studies that show calorie restriction and thinner people, from 20 down to 17 bmi are in better health with more longevity than higher bmi.

I guess the best thing to do is to get to a point where I am eating a normal amount of calories and neither gaining or losing. Something I havent seen in about 20 years! The juddd has given me fresh hope because I can see how it will be easier to maintain and make corrections than other methods of dieting where its a drastic change in eating habits and then so difficult to maintain or get to a place where eating becomes natural rather than an obsession with calorie counting and the scale.

My goal is to eat 1500 to 1850 calores daily, keep up my excersize and get to a proper set weight that feels good to me.

I eat very healthfully, gave up sugar, cafine, alcohol years ago. Rarely have red meats, we eat a lot of fish and fresh vegetables, fruit and I bake our whole grain bread, which I recently gave up eating to see if I have some problems with wheat. I will let you know if I really feel better off it or not as time goes on, but its only been about 8 weeks on that.

Today is a down day and so far so good. I took advice from reading how you all do it and bought some powdered veg. Boulion, organic type, it is a nice alternqtive to my ginger or chamomille teas.

This is a great group of people here. Hope you all are having good days too!
Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #2028
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: freetolive
Ifound you!!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #2029
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetolive View Post
Ifound you!!
Well- !!!!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #2030
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

Hi SlowSure,

Body fat % is 25.7 at 140#

I'm actually 5'6 and 3/4", but I usually just round it up to 5'7"

36.2# fat
103.8# muscle

a bmi for my height at 140 is 21.9
@ 128 it would be 20 which is still within the normal bmi range.

I see what you mean about maintaining the lower weight but with my frame I still think its better to be on the lower
end of the bmi scale.

Who knows maybe I wont lose even 15#'s on JUDDD, but so far I feel that it is working for me pretty well.

Anyway, my main goal for the JUDDD diet is to stop calorie restricting every day and eat properly on the UD which will be a lot better than my last few years have been.

I was only anorexic by low bmi (under 17.5) for about a year when I weighed
between 112# and 103#, and I really don't care anything about doing enough starving to weigh that again!

so I hope you all will let me join you here!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #2031
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC48
Stats: 197/197/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/1/14
Not hungry on my up day

Hi everyone!

I started on JUDDD last Monday (3/10/14). My down days are
Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Today is Tuesday and I'm
not really wanting anything to eat. I've had about 300 calories today. Need around 2200 for total. I'm 5'5 200 (female). I do exercise about 20-30 minutes 5 days a week. I think I figured this correctly. Is 2187 U and 438 D correct? Does everyone wait until later in the day and pile up the food?

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #2032
Senior LCF Member

Welcome to all the newcomers. I'm glad you're here.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #2033

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hi LC48, on an UD I just eat 'normally'. FO r me that means I very seldom eat breakfast or lunch, but that has always been my habit. Most people here eat 3 meals a day on an UD, and even snack. If you aren't hungry and find it hard to feat up to your calories we suggest calorie dense additions like nuts, butter, avocados etc, even chocolate!

I am afraid I would need to know you age to check the calculate for your calorie numbers, and most of us enter 'little or no exercise' unless we are serious runners. Try that and see what you come up with.

Good to have you with us.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Old 03-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #2034

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetolive View Post
Ifound you!!
freetolive! Are you JUDDDing, or thinking about starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC48 View Post
Hi everyone!

I started on JUDDD last Monday (3/10/14). My down days are
Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Today is Tuesday and I'm
not really wanting anything to eat. I've had about 300 calories today. Need around 2200 for total. I'm 5'5 200 (female). I do exercise about 20-30 minutes 5 days a week. I think I figured this correctly. Is 2187 U and 438 D correct? Does everyone wait until later in the day and pile up the food?

Thanks for reading.
LC48! Kissa has given you great advice already. I do save most of my eating until late in the day on DDs, and try to save a good portion until later on UDs.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #2035
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LC48
Stats: 197/197/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1/1/14
I didn't post my age, but I'm 48. oops...
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #2036
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
so I hope you all will let me join you here!
I hope that my enquiries didn't come across as implying there are any restrictions - it's more that from time to time, it's useful to mention Dr Johnson's guidelines on those for whom JUDDD might not be wholly appropriate at certain points in life and with particular histories.

25.7% body fat puts you in the 'lean' categorisation by US standards (you use different categories than we do in the UK). Skeletal muscle mass is tremendously useful for retaining insulin sensitivity and a metabolism that handles many things in a robust fashion.

You know that body composition at which you feel healthy, fit, and comfortable: best wishes for your trial of JUDDD to establish whether it's part of the WOE to get you there.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-18-2014 at 01:52 PM..
Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #2037
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Just saying hello and welcome to the new folks! It's a great group over here, hop in and post away!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #2038

LC48, I looked at the calculator at little or no exercise and 20% and I got UD 1926 cals and DD 385 cals. But remember for the first 2 weeks you can have 500 cal DDs.

Hope that helps. Do post often and join in lots of the threads here.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #2039
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

25.7% body fat puts you in the 'lean' categorisation by US standards (you use different categories than we do in the UK). Skeletal muscle mass is tremendously useful for retaining insulin sensitivity and a metabolism that handles many things in a robust fashion.

Thank you for letting me know there arent restrictions here, and thanks for the warnings as well. I can see how certain eating disordes might be triggered by this WOE. Sometimes I'm a little too sensitive about my past anorexia me thinks!

I dont know if the 'lean' catagory is a good or bad thing. Can you explain to me if i have too little muscle or something?

We are in ireland for another month then moving on to france until next winter, but i do use the US web sites for things like bmi, body distribution and calorie counts sometimes, what is the GB definition of 27%?

I am finding that this week i am feeling so much better on the JUDDD, its my third week and although I doubt I have lost very much I enjoy eating properly on the UD's.

You are so informative and bright, thankyou very much for your help!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #2040

Ooooh Milly, Ireland and France, 2 of my favourite countries. Glad you are beginning to feel comfortable with JUDDD.

And you are right, we are very lucky to have Slow here with all her wonderful knowledge and support.
Closed Thread