Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #1951
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PrettyNinja
Stats: 260/260/125
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/16/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
PrettyNinja! You are right about the weight I was when I switched from Atkins to JUDDD (264) and I'm so happy I found JUDDD. I hope you will be too!
Thank you, Carol!! You're so inspiring. I hope I can work JUDDD as well as you have

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #1952
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie jayne View Post
Welcome, welcome to all the Feb. arrivals. I came in at the end of January and love this WOE. It's the first eating plan that allows me a sense of freedom. I get to choose what, when, and how much I eat. Yesterday (DD), I thought about having sweets (wanting to over-eat), but held off, and today I'm not interested. What a surprise.

Now a question for longer time members: I am holding my DDs to 20% for the rest of the month and I've lost weight. When I decide to go to 25%, do I recalculate that on my present weight or do I figure it on the weight at which I started? I don't recall that being addressed in the book or else I missed it.

A big thank you to everyone for all the support you give here. It has helped a lot.
You got great feed back from Carol and SS. I went below 20% because the lower my DDs the better I lost. It also allowed a little wiggle room on UDs as my weight dropped and so did my UD allowance. There isn't a big difference between 312 and 200 on a DD, but I like to tag on an extra little bit on an UD if eating out.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #1953
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrie jayne
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
CJ, The great flexibility about JUDDD is that on any given DD you can be up to 35% for weight loss, and up to 45% for weight loss/maintenance. So if some event, or PMS, or whatever causes you to need to eat a little higher, you can do it and still be in a DD!
Thanks, Carol, for the quick response. In 3 1/2 weeks I've lost 13+ pounds. I don't want to lose too fast and I'm sometimes very hungry on a DD. I think you're saying I can eat a bit more on those really hungry days and less on the not so hungry DDs. That would work for me. Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
:Interesting question as it doesn't come up often but I'd say that when you recalculate, do it from your present weight (i.e., the weight that you are at that time in the future).
Thanks, SlowSure. It makes sense, it's what I'll do, and - guess what - I'm excited to do that. Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
You got great feed back from Carol and SS. I went below 20% because the lower my DDs the better I lost. It also allowed a little wiggle room on UDs as my weight dropped and so did my UD allowance. There isn't a big difference between 312 and 200 on a DD, but I like to tag on an extra little bit on an UD if eating out.
Ah, Carly, thanks. I especially like your idea of allowing extra on an UD by cutting back on the DD.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #1954
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rizzo76
Stats: 188/182/140
Start Date: 19Feb2014
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie - today was my first DD and I'm finding it less difficult than I thought I would (I was getting quite nervous yesterday evening). I've been reading the posts on this board for inspiration and it really helps, so thank you all for being so encouraging and positive!

I managed to lose over 30 pounds a couple of years ago doing my own variation of the Dukan diet, but a bout of food poisoning in October 2012 threw me off completely and my eating habits have never really recovered. Over 2013, I pretty much gained back all I had lost, and have been feeling really discouraged and unable to stick to any diet for more than a week or two. I'm really hoping that this sort of approach will fit well with my natural tendency to have really good willpower for very limited periods! LOL!

Today, I managed to make it until 13.30 before I ate my lunch, which was chunky beef and vegetable soup (212 calories) and I've been relying on water and hot green tea with lemon to get me through until dinner tonight, which will be Eggs Florentine (pan fry spinach in one tsp of basil-infused olive oil, then make a 'hole' in the middle and crack two large eggs into it; cover and heat gently until egg white is cooked through and yolk is still slightly dippy; serve with a dash of salt and pepper; 287 cals).

So far, so good, although I may need to go to bed earlier than usual this evening to avoid my usual temptation for late-night snacking...
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #1955
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo76 View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie - today was my first DD and I'm finding it less difficult than I thought I would...
So far, so good, although I may need to go to bed earlier than usual this evening to avoid my usual temptation for late-night snacking...
to JUDDD, Rizzo76 (are you a fan of Grease or do you wear a lot of pink?)

Late night snacking is a temptation with all of the dampness in the UK at present, isn't it. YMMV (don't know if that's in the acronyms list) but if it's a problem, we have a DD recipes thread with suggestions and sugar-free jelly is always a useful fallback.

It's good to read that you're OK with your first DD so far. Do speak up if you've any questions or observations to make during this induction period. We're here to listen/respond or nod appreciatively.

Dec 2014 A DXA scan reported very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I have some joint surgery to schedule. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #1956
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rizzo76
Stats: 188/182/140
Start Date: 19Feb2014
Thanks for the welcome, SlowSure. I am a fan of Grease, but I mostly wear black (albeit with occasional flashes of pink...)

That's a good tip on the sugar-free jelly - I stocked up on the 10 calorie pots in various flavours when I was at the supermarket yesterday, so if I'm at the stage of gnawing an arm off I can always have one of those.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #1957
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Rizzo76! We have quite the collection of UK Juddd Buddds with us now. I love it!

Making it through DD number 1 is a big deal! It's kind of scary trying a WOE so "drastic" sounding. I thought it was when I first heard of it, and judging by the reactions of my friends when I tell them what I'm doing, it does to them too! But I truly love it, and wouldn't want to try anything else at this point.

Read lots, post lots, ask lots. You'll find many wonderful people here willing to share their experiences and advice!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #1958
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Hi, everyone,
I want to introduce myself. I'm Stephanie, despite my username--it was a beloved dog's name and I use it, for some reason, on sites that have to do with my health. Just my habit now, I guess.

I started low carbing in April, 2012, and by the following May had lost 85 pounds. Then I hit a 7-month stall, during which time, I kept having more and more "bad" days until sometime mid-December, I gave up and just ate how I wanted. Not a good idea. Almost 20 pounds put back on in about 6 weeks. I started back with the low carb, but found myself quite bored, even though I think low carb is a fantastic WOE. I prowled around the other boards here and after a try at Kwasniewski (actually that happened before my big gain), I started playing around with JUDDD.

I really didn't think I could do a DD. Just really didn't. But I experimented and found that, like some of the rest of you, Up days are harder! what? Anyway, I'm about 3 weeks in, have had a few UUADs (!!!) but not messing up my down days really at all.

Thanks for letting me lurk here the last few weeks and I look forward to being here.

R/Stephanie
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #1959
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brainardt
Stats: 212/192/170 (1st goal) 5'8" 27 y.o
Start Date: January 31, 2014
Welcome Stephanie! I'm 3 weeks in to JUDDD after many unsustainable low carb losses (the most was 20#, no where near your awesome loss!!) so we're kinda in the same boat.. Hope you enjoy! And use this forum, it is a huge motivator for me.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #1960

Hi Stephanie, and !

I'm glad you've been lurking, because it's the best way to get the lay of the land and decide whether to try JUDDD. It's what most of us do - I did! Then I got brave and posted a question or two. And then I started and I haven't looked back since. LOVE IT!

Yes, UDs can be harder than DDs, mentally. I mean, they're enjoyable and fun, and satisfying. But the urge to keep eating is sometimes there. This will pass. It's just your head's way of compensating for things you haven't been allowing yourself to eat. You'll get all the treats out of your system, and then you'll start wanting to feed your body good, nutritious food.

Good luck! Hope to see you around all the threads!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #1961
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brainardt
Stats: 212/192/170 (1st goal) 5'8" 27 y.o
Start Date: January 31, 2014
I know the post was for Stephanie and not me, but thank you Carol! I've been having so much trouble with UD's and overeating. I just want to eat and eat after I start. And I want nothing even remotely good for me. I am so hopeful that you're right and that my body and mind will adjust soon and start craving something other than chocolate and pizza.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #1962
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EmmaLiza
Stats: 240/155/125
WOE: LC: 70 lb; JUDDD: 15 lb
Start Date: LC: Apr 2012; JUDDD: Feb 2014
Thank you for the welcome, brainardt and locarbgal! I've been compensating for overdoing the up days by figuring out my daily average and what I need on the next down day to keep it steady. I found that when I factor in 7 days worth of eating, the up day isn't as scary and it helps keep me from diving headfirst into the carbs. I see I can still pull up out of the nose dive.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #1963

Yes indeed, there is hope for you both! You have to let yourself go through that adjustment period and not expect to be perfect. Lots of us go through a "Woo hoo I can eat whatever I want" for a time on UDs. Let yourself celebrate this wonderful new realization, and then you can get down to business!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #1964
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaLiza View Post
I want to introduce myself. I'm Stephanie...
by the following May had lost 85 pounds... Almost 20 pounds put back on in about 6 weeks. I started back with the low carb...
I really didn't think I could do a DD...I'm about 3 weeks in, have had a few UUADs (!!!) but not messing up my down days really at all.
Stephanie and it's good to see you here. It's odd but not that unusual how some people click straight away with DDs (usually the thing that intimidates people) but find the sudden autonomy and freedom of UDs to be almost too much to bear in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainardt View Post
I've been having so much trouble with UD's and overeating. I just want to eat and eat after I start. And I want nothing even remotely good for me....
Do you think it's an necessary over-reaction and then you'll be at peace with it? Knowing yourself and your history as you do? It is with a fair number of people - it's like when people have been lifting something heavy, then switch to something light, and they can't get the range of motion right for the first few attempts and then they adapt.

Quote:
I found that when I factor in 7 days worth of eating, the up day isn't as scary and it helps keep me from diving headfirst into the carbs. I see I can still pull up out of the nose dive.
Really, what a good, sensible way to look at this - over 7 days rather than 1-2. JUDDD does encourage the level-headedness in people

LCG's advice to you both is good, as ever.

I hope you both settle down well into your rotations while you're trying out JUDDD. Do speak up with any questions or difficulties.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-22-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Old 02-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #1965
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/163.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
I'm newish, too, but want to add my welcome.
The people here are amazing and helpful and successful and kind!
I'm looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #1966
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie - today was my first DD and I'm finding it less difficult than I thought I would (I was getting quite nervous yesterday evening). I've been reading the posts on this board for inspiration and it really helps, so thank you all for being so encouraging and positive!
Quote:
Hi, everyone,
I want to introduce myself. I'm Stephanie, despite my username--it was a beloved dog's name and I use it, for some reason, on sites that have to do with my health. Just my habit now, I guess.
to both of you!!!!! I hope you will both love juddding!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #1967
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
Carlie and the rest who have gotten to their goal this this lifestyle diet - you look great and are an inspiration to us all just getting started! I just got back on this after going through some stress in my life and am so glad I found this support system. There is so much contention between the nutritionists, doctors and research that I can hardly stand to watch the low carbohydrate, intermittent fasting vs the counting calories schools of thought. All I know is that the LC/IF, or JUDDD works for me and I will continue towards goal. I can say I feel so much better and have more mental clarity with this lifestyle than the counting calories way. I do think that one size does not fit all so this may not be the way for everyone, I am just results oriented. Thank you all for the support and suggestions to make this work. I'll be thin for the first time since high school in 2014!!! Ya!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 PM   #1968
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblanken View Post
I just got back on this after going through some stress in my life...All I know is that the LC/IF, or JUDDD works for me and I will continue towards goal. I can say I feel so much better and have more mental clarity with this lifestyle
, good to see you here and look forward to reading more from you on the board.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 AM   #1969
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Carlie and the rest who have gotten to their goal this this lifestyle diet - you look great and are an inspiration to us all just getting started! I just got back on this after going through some stress in my life and am so glad I found this support system. There is so much contention between the nutritionists, doctors and research that I can hardly stand to watch the low carbohydrate, intermittent fasting vs the counting calories schools of thought. All I know is that the LC/IF, or JUDDD works for me and I will continue towards goal. I can say I feel so much better and have more mental clarity with this lifestyle than the counting calories way. I do think that one size does not fit all so this may not be the way for everyone, I am just results oriented. Thank you all for the support and suggestions to make this work. I'll be thin for the first time since high school in 2014!!! Ya!
!!!! JUDDD is really flexible in that it works with LC, vegan, SAD or within an eating window. It's great. You know your UD/ DD calories and go from there!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 AM   #1970
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Carly/all!
I am so happy lost 3 pounds last week on lc/if I am on... I was never able to lose that much just low carb around <50gr. Now I stick to 10 carbs or less.

Yesterday was my DD or IF day, I was tired and cold, good thing it was Sunday. I just took it easy - had a nap and forgot to have my 3pm snack/drink of diet soda... For dinner I had my regular 2 eggs.

I've been reading from Dr Johnson's website. I did my DD & UD calories calculation and it pretty much matched to what I was already doing. Also, I had been taking the resveratrol, b stress vits, etc...

I started the end of January 202/187/130 5'6.5" You guys have a great day!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #1971
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thanks Carly/all!
I am so happy lost 3 pounds last week on lc/if I am on... I was never able to lose that much just low carb around <50gr. Now I stick to 10 carbs or less.

Yesterday was my DD or IF day, I was tired and cold, good thing it was Sunday. I just took it easy - had a nap and forgot to have my 3pm snack/drink of diet soda... For dinner I had my regular 2 eggs.

I've been reading from Dr Johnson's website. I did my DD & UD calories calculation and it pretty much matched to what I was already doing. Also, I had been taking the resveratrol, b stress vits, etc...

I started the end of January 202/187/130 5'6.5" You guys have a great day!
You are doing great so far!

Join us here February JUDDD Newbies
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #1972

Quote:
! Great luck to you! I hope to see you posting around all the other threads. There's lots of support to be found over there.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #1973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Today, I managed to make it until 13.30 before I ate my lunch, which was chunky beef and vegetable soup (212 calories) and I've been relying on water and hot green tea with lemon to get me through until dinner tonight, which will be Eggs Florentine (pan fry spinach in one tsp of basil-infused olive oil, then make a 'hole' in the middle and crack two large eggs into it; cover and heat gently until egg white is cooked through and yolk is still slightly dippy; serve with a dash of salt and pepper; 287 cals).
Welcome and that egg dish looks delish!!

Quote:
Hi, everyone,

I really didn't think I could do a DD. Just really didn't. But I experimented and found that, like some of the rest of you, Up days are harder! what? Anyway, I'm about 3 weeks in, have had a few UUADs (!!!) but not messing up my down days really at all.

Thanks for letting me lurk here the last few weeks and I look forward to being here.

R/Stephanie
Hooray! Welcome

Quote:
Glad to see you here!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #1974
Major LCF Poster!

Some good quotes(not sure of all authors) to keep in mind for persevering to goal, any additions are welcome!
"The future for you is today"
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat. Only by doing so can one be sure of maintaining that state of mind known as a burning desire to win - essential to success." - Napoleon Hill
"Endeavor to persevere." Outlaw Josey Wales

Thanks to all, I really appreciate all your advise and support!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 AM   #1975
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brummygal
Hi I am new to this. Thinking of starting tomorrow. Question, can I use lc shakes for down days? Am a bit of a picky eater and love my bread!!!!!!!!! Do not like soups, broths etc so I think the shakes will suit me better, opinions please...........
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #1976
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummygal View Post
Thinking of starting tomorrow. Question, can I use lc shakes for down days? Am a bit of a picky eater and love my bread!!!!!!!!! Do not like soups, broths etc so I think the shakes will suit me better, opinions please...........
BrummyGal.

LC shakes are fine for DDs. In his first edition of the book, Dr Johnson recommended that people should stick with meal replacement shakes (of whichever sort you prefer) for DDs during induction. He thought it was important that people got into the rhythm of rotations and discovered any potential sticking points without needing to fret about kcal counts of special meals.

If you've identified a LC shake that you enjoy, have a good UD to set yourself up for your first DD and then shake away.

I know it's near the end of Feb but you might introduce yourself here to other : February JUDDD Newbies and then reintroduce yourself in the upcoming March one if that suits you.

Last edited by SlowSure; 02-26-2014 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #1977
Major LCF Poster!

I used to do no carb shakes isopure which has the protein to keep you satisfied, I actually liked the vanilla the best and made this into a latte... My husband still opts for these at least once a week. He uses the yoo-hoo chocolate (also LC) in the vanilla and seems to like it. Lately, though, I am just doing the LC food since I need to chew, I guess. Good luck on your start! Happy to find this site myself as I have been on less than a month.

Have a great day,
Julie
Old 02-26-2014, 08:38 AM   #1978

Quote:
Some good quotes(not sure of all authors) to keep in mind for persevering to goal, any additions are welcome!
"The future for you is today"
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat. Only by doing so can one be sure of maintaining that state of mind known as a burning desire to win - essential to success." - Napoleon Hill
"Endeavor to persevere." Outlaw Josey Wales

Thanks to all, I really appreciate all your advise and support!
Hi Julie! Great quotes you shared. I especially love the one from Napoleon Hill - love him and his message!

Quote:
Hi I am new to this. Thinking of starting tomorrow. Question, can I use lc shakes for down days? Am a bit of a picky eater and love my bread!!!!!!!!! Do not like soups, broths etc so I think the shakes will suit me better, opinions please...........
BG! Yep, shakes are a great thing to use to start. I never used them and ate real food, just w/in my calories, but whatever works for you. I will say that you MAY change your mind about soups and broths. I never liked them either. But after a year or so on JUDDD, and the DD shivers as we call them really kicked in, I've been really enjoying Progresso Light soups. I'm still surprised at myself that I like them! Good luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #1979
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: brummygal
Thank you all for your welcome messages. I have now posted on Feb's newbie site as per recommendation. I live in the UK and some of the things you mentioned do not seem to be available here, so I may be asking lots of questions. One straight away, I do not have the book and have had problems trying to find it here, so if you are just starting this woe is it ok to start a light exercise routine or should I wait a while?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #1980
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Thank you all for your welcome messages. I have now posted on Feb's newbie site as per recommendation. I live in the UK and some of the things you mentioned do not seem to be available here, so I may be asking lots of questions. One straight away, I do not have the book and have had problems trying to find it here, so if you are just starting this woe is it ok to start a light exercise routine or should I wait a while?
And yes, exercise is fine. Whatever you are comfortable with.
Closed Thread