Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1321
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Hi team JUDDD! I love the spirit that lives here in the JUDDD section. It's so impressive how you all support one another and also reach out to newcomers. I've been reading and reading! I also got the book on my kindle and am working on that as well.

I have been successful two times in the past with Atkins. But both times, after a year or a little more of maintenance, I ate a sugary thing and BLAMMO. I couldn't stop. I've been slowly regaining weight for the last .... 2.5 years???? (more??) and now find myself at 183 this morning - 35 pounds over my favorite weight of 148. SO. I gotta do something.

I am wrapping up my first DD. I'm so hopeful that I can somehow find what you all have found in JUDDD - a peaceful relationship with food and the ability to preserve my health and reach/maintain a healthy weight. Well, and let's face it. A weight where I feel a little bit hot, even at my ripe old age LOL!

I look forward to learning from you all.

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #1322
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
DG! Congratulations on getting that first DD achieved. The first DDs are usually the toughest, and quite an adjustment period, but it's so worth it. I hope you love it here! Good luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #1323
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement Carol! I did a "mono food" potato day. I just HAD to see what that potato thing was all about. I was surprised how easy yesterday felt. I will probably try that again tomorrow. Mr. scale was shockingly good to me as well - my weight was really up from some carbacious bloating but ALL of it came off in one swoop. I've never seen THAT before!

I hope I can keep up this level of motivation once the newness wears off. I love the energy of the JUDDD Buds and I'm sure that will help. You guys ROCK!

DG aka Beth
Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #1324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: smallerizing
Stats: 196/185/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 6-18-13 JUDDD
Okay, I'm brand new! I thought I was going to do CAD but it was to complicated. This looked easier at first, but my husband warned me that it would be difficult to get the UD calories that the calculator said to consume.

I made it through DD yesterday with only 232 calories, out of an allowed 418. After doing Stillman's it was a piece of cake! (And I ended up MAKING cupcakes for a birthday celebration for today.) However, I cannot seem to stuff enough food in my face for the UD!! I only made it to 1709 out of the 2090 that I'm supposed to get. And that was after eating 4 of the said cupcakes. This WOE is harder than I thought it would be.

Since I failed miserably in my first UD, my new plan is to get some higher calorie foods in the house and snack on them. Tomorrow I will attempt a proper UD, making veal scallopini with lots of cheese, and pasta, and salad with full-fat dressing. Maybe egg fried in coconut oil for breakfast would help, too.

I really don't want to be pigging out on unhealthy foods on UD. I love fresh fruits (forbidden on Atkins) and cheeses (too fatty for Stillmans) and lots of protein to keep my sugar levels steady.

Wish me luck!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #1325
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Good luck, Christine! It sounds like you have a good plan, to me.

Welcome DG/Beth!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #1326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I have been successful two times in the past with Atkins. But both times, after a year or a little more of maintenance, I ate a sugary thing and BLAMMO. I couldn't stop. ...

I am wrapping up my first DD. I'm so hopeful that I can somehow find what you all have found in JUDDD - a peaceful relationship with food and the ability to preserve my health and reach/maintain a healthy weight
DG and I heartily wish peace of mind around food and your health to you.

Atkins looks manageable for those people who can make it a way of life (like other WOEs). However, if it requires lifelong vigilance and restriction of food that you enjoy, and the world is full of inadvertent and easy diversions from the path, then it seems like a fine plan to explore other WOE that may work with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallerizing View Post
...my husband warned me that it would be difficult to get the UD calories that the calculator said to consume.

...I cannot seem to stuff enough food in my face for the UD!! I only made it to 1709 out of the 2090 that I'm supposed to get....

Since I failed miserably in my first UD, my new plan is to get some higher calorie foods in the house and snack on them. Tomorrow I will attempt a proper UD, making veal scallopini with lots of cheese, and pasta, and salad with full-fat dressing. Maybe egg fried in coconut oil for breakfast would help, too.
smallerizing and best wishes that you and JUDDD settle in with eachother over the next couple of weeks and discover that you can jog along well.

To state the obvious, you can't fail an UD or DD (especially during induction) - you learn things about yourself, food and a new way of looking at these, and then you apply these to your future UD and DD until they become a habit or you learn something different.

You've got a good plan there for your UD. It took me a long time to be able to make my UD allowance but now it's a breeze. It's amazing what a couple of delightful additions to your coffee, a cup of cocoa, some medicinal chocolate and supplementing some other things can do to eat up your allowance.

Good luck too all the and those who might be having a browse and thinking about JUDDD.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #1327
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Cindy and Slowsure for the warm welcomes and encouragement! That means a LOT to me!

Beth
Old 06-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #1328

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Christine, glad you found this thread and I'm glad to have a real name to type. You'll find that UDs get easier, just like the DDs. Not sure if that is necessarily a good thing, lol.

For instance, I am off to our local Italian tonight. I doubt I will be within my 1500 cals by the end of the evening. I feel a Pizza coming on............
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1329
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moomin
Stats: 256/236.6/165
Start Date: April 2013
Hi everyone! I'd like to join this thread. I'm new to JUDDD and still learning the ins and outs. I don't like to weight more than once a week because I become really fixated on the numbers. Last week was my first fast week using a 5:2 plan. I'm doing that again this week and today is my second DD for this week. Going well so far!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #1330
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Christine, glad you found this thread and I'm glad to have a real name to type. You'll find that UDs get easier, just like the DDs. Not sure if that is necessarily a good thing, lol.

For instance, I am off to our local Italian tonight. I doubt I will be within my 1500 cals by the end of the evening. I feel a Pizza coming on............
So the UD calories go down when you get closer to goal? Looks like you're PAST goal! You NEED a pizza!

I guess I have restricted calories for so long (low carb and staying away from fats) that it's just a way of life for me. Too bad my metabolism didn't reward me with weight loss!

I'm still pretty excited about this WOE, even though this was my second shot at the UD. I managed to squeak in just the minimum amount.

If my DD's are super low (less than 300), couldn't my UD's be a little on the low side? Somebody mentioned juice, and that sounded like a nice idea for extra calories. I used cheese and crackers to get my cals in today. I'm hoping the DD won't be all the worse for pigging out (seemed like) today.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #1331
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post

To state the obvious, you can't fail an UD or DD (especially during induction) - you learn things about yourself, food and a new way of looking at these, and then you apply these to your future UD and DD until they become a habit or you learn something different.

You've got a good plan there for your UD. It took me a long time to be able to make my UD allowance but now it's a breeze. It's amazing what a couple of delightful additions to your coffee, a cup of cocoa, some medicinal chocolate and supplementing some other things can do to eat up your allowance.
Ooooooooh, chocolate! I'm totally gonna stock up on Cadbury now!

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess it's only hard because I'm learning. I'll be more patient with myself.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomin View Post
Hi everyone! I'd like to join this thread. I'm new to JUDDD and still learning the ins and outs. I don't like to weight more than once a week because I become really fixated on the numbers. Last week was my first fast week using a 5:2 plan. I'm doing that again this week and today is my second DD for this week. Going well so far!
Moomin! We're glad to have you join in to all the threads, not just this one. 5:2 is a great way to ease into IF, and it may be all you need to lose what you want. But if you like it and decide to do JUDDD (EOD) you may find it just as easy. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #1333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomin View Post
I'm new to JUDDD and still learning the ins and outs. I don't like to weight more than once a week because I become really fixated on the numbers. Last week was my first fast week using a 5:2 plan. I'm doing that again this week and today is my second DD for this week. Going well so far!
moomin and .

I can only echo what LCG says - some people do really well with 5:2 and it's popular with our JUDDD maintainers. Good to see you here on your 2nd DD. If you want to make an observation about your DD, there's a useful check-in thread that's dedicated to them How is your DD going today (Part 2)

I look forward to seeing you around the boards. I hope that you and JUDDD suit each other.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #1334

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
So the UD calories go down when you get closer to goal? Looks like you're PAST goal! You NEED a pizza!

I guess I have restricted calories for so long (low carb and staying away from fats) that it's just a way of life for me. Too bad my metabolism didn't reward me with weight loss!

I'm still pretty excited about this WOE, even though this was my second shot at the UD. I managed to squeak in just the minimum amount.

If my DD's are super low (less than 300), couldn't my UD's be a little on the low side? Somebody mentioned juice, and that sounded like a nice idea for extra calories. I used cheese and crackers to get my cals in today. I'm hoping the DD won't be all the worse for pigging out (seemed like) today.
Exactly the opposite, in my opinion. If you're keeping your DDs very low, it's even more important to get your UD calories in. We're all different of course, and YMMV.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #1335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Exactly the opposite, in my opinion. If you're keeping your DDs very low, it's even more important to get your UD calories in. We're all different of course, and YMMV.
I am just going to echo LOUDLY what Dawn says here! I generally like to fast on my DDs and only drink coffee with some sf creamer in it. (so cals are generally well under 100 each DD for me) As a result, I have a HIGHER than calculated UD and I find I lose just fine. I remember having a difficult time getting my UD numbers in early on as well, but now I supplement with chocolate and <ahem> cocktails. Pizza works, too. LOL! Really, though, find some higher calorie items that seem like splurges for you and add them in to some UDs! It really helps your motivation and sure makes this way of living seem so NOT like a diet. LOL!

Welcome moomin!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #1336
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
to Macci, DG, Christine & moomin!! I think you're gonna really like it here! Keep reading & keep posting!!

Welcome back, Majella!! Glad to have you here!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #1337

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
I am just going to echo LOUDLY what Dawn says here! I generally like to fast on my DDs and only drink coffee with some sf creamer in it. (so cals are generally well under 100 each DD for me) As a result, I have a HIGHER than calculated UD and I find I lose just fine. I remember having a difficult time getting my UD numbers in early on as well, but now I supplement with chocolate and <ahem> cocktails. Pizza works, too. LOL! Really, though, find some higher calorie items that seem like splurges for you and add them in to some UDs! It really helps your motivation and sure makes this way of living seem so NOT like a diet. LOL!

Welcome moomin!!!
in the plural.

As Dawn and Melinda say, try to enjoy those UDs.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #1338
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
to all the new buds! Join us here June JUDDD Newbies Chat Here
Old 06-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #1339
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbagram
Stats: 249/230/180
WOE: The Big Breakfast/IF
Start Date: 4/28/14
Hello, I have been looking around this forum and would love to join in. I am no stranger to JUDD. I lost about 15 pounds last spring doing it.

This time around I decided to fast m'w'f, doing fat fasting. My DDcalories are around 1000. So far this past week I have lost 4 #.

On my up days I try to stay with low carb. No wheat is a must for me. My pain increases when I eat them. In fact the other day after eating a bowl of popcorn the pain came back in my shoulder and arm. ????

Looking forward to chit chatting here!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #1340

back tbagram! It will be great to have another JB on board. It sounds like you've got JUDDD down, and are no newbie.

I'm fascinated with your 4 pound loss this week and how you're doing it. It sounds a lot like what I've been trying to do lately too. Some kind of fat fast on DDs, and I've been attempting to rein in the carbs on UDs too, for the most part. My body also feel so great on LC, and it sounds like you've learned what your body reacts well and badly to. That's a major win - I love that we can manage how we feel with our eating.

I'll look forward to getting to know you around the boards!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #1341
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbagram View Post
Hello, I have been looking around this forum and would love to join in. I am no stranger to JUDD. I lost about 15 pounds last spring doing it.

This time around I decided to fast m'w'f, doing fat fasting. My DDcalories are around 1000. So far this past week I have lost 4 #.

On my up days I try to stay with low carb. No wheat is a must for me. My pain increases when I eat them. In fact the other day after eating a bowl of popcorn the pain came back in my shoulder and arm. ????

! It sound like juddd has been working really well for you.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #1342
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Welcome! I am a JUDDD newbie and look forward to hearing about your success as we move along! You are taking an interesting approach! CONGRATS on your great first week loss! I look forward to getting to know you!

Beth
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #1343
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moomin
Stats: 256/236.6/165
Start Date: April 2013
Thanks for the welcome!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #1344
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
tbagram! Looks like you're off to a great start!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #1345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Welcome tbagram!!! Rock on!!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #1346
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tbagram
Stats: 249/230/180
WOE: The Big Breakfast/IF
Start Date: 4/28/14
Thank you everyone. I am continuing to stick to my plan. I have bounced up and down a pound all week. Waiting for the woosh. One thing new to me is CO oil and HWC in coffee for breakfast. On DD yesterday I had it for dinner too. You can't eat much on DD with high fat, but I am getting used to it.
B- coffee with co/hwc
L-cream cheese on cucumber slices
D-same as breakfast
S-small no sugar cone in gluten free cone.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #1347
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Thank you everyone. I am continuing to stick to my plan. I have bounced up and down a pound all week. Waiting for the woosh. One thing new to me is CO oil and HWC in coffee for breakfast. On DD yesterday I had it for dinner too. You can't eat much on DD with high fat, but I am getting used to it.
B- coffee with co/hwc
L-cream cheese on cucumber slices
D-same as breakfast
S-small no sugar cone in gluten free cone.
Have you been counting the calories in the coconut oil? I know some people don't, but when I tried that I stalled completely. I have not found that coconut oil is my friend. I never use it for consumption anymore. I do put it in a nice hot bath to make my skin soft.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #1348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Have you been counting the calories in the coconut oil? I know some people don't, but when I tried that I stalled completely. I have not found that coconut oil is my friend.
I count it as fat for my calculations.

It's a weird foodstuff and I wish there were a definitive answer about how it should be accounted for: even if it's a YMMV because it seems that some people metabolise it differently (which I can believe).
Old 06-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #1349
Senior LCF Member

Progress report! This is after 11 days on JUDD:

The good: I love love love getting to eat the good stuff! (That's probably #1 in everyone's book, right?)
I have lost (or temporarily misplaced) 4 pounds so far! I usually don't count the first 5 on any diet, but for a full week nothing happened, so I'm pretty excited!

The bad: I'm having a hard time making sure I get all the calories in on an UD. For instance, today I made Chicken Alfredo, and how on earth do I figure how many calories are in it if I cook without measuring? So I'm just guestimating and making sure I have close to the 2090 allotted.
I also seem to be getting a lot of headaches. I hope it's not from carb withdrawal.

I bought the book on Amazon, and it should come next week! There are probably some points I'm missing, but I'm being patient with myself since this is so new and very different from anything I've done.

Thank you all for the encouragement!!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 AM   #1350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Progress report! This is after 11 days on JUDD:

The good: I love love love getting to eat the good stuff! ...
I have lost (or temporarily misplaced) 4 pounds so far!
Well done! It's always encouraging to see good early numbers.

Yes, it's a pest working out the kcals of your own dishes. Hopefully, whichever tracker you're using is capable of storing the information for future retrieval.

KUTGW
Closed Thread