Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #901
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Shelly: first of all Your pain sounds very scary to me. I do not think it's related to alternate day fasting or JUDD. My recommendation is that you call your doctor. You may have something else going on here and it does not sound like something you should ignore or play around with. I'm sorry you are experiencing this, but I hope you will call your doctor. Promise?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #902
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Welcome Shelly and shin
shelly, a weird thing for me is that I did have upper back pain after starting JUDDD. I felt as though it was in my upper spine, and it hurt more after sleeping(lying down for a time). I went to my doctor, did a lot of expensive tests, found nothing, and it went away after about 2 weeks. My son said he thinks it's because I had been sitting up, looking down at my new tablet a lot. And it probably is that-could have gotten that diagnosis for free!
But my stomach did not hurt.
hmmm, that's a tough one. Maybe the doctor is a good idea? It doesn't seem like it can be JUDDD related if it started on your first day, and then you had an UD immediately after, doesn't seem like that would stress things so soon.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #903
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kgirlpure
Stats: ( 5'5")181/164/130 age 48
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: january 2014 again
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
MD is a medium or mid-day. It's the 60% calculation on the JUDDD calculator and is used to change rotations if you have a special event coming up that would otherwise fall on a DD. You'd insert a MD between the DD and the UD, then have your next DD and rotate as usual.

Some people do fixed DDs and would do a M, W, F schedule with DDs, T, Th, Sun UD, and Saturday would be a MD (or however you want your schedule to work out). Some people still lose this way, but many of us stall if we use a MD every week. IMO, they're better left for only special events.

ETA: MDs are not used in 5:2. There's no need for them since you're only doing 2 DDs per week and can arrange them however you want, as long as they aren't consecutive.
thanks for the info! saw post of md and had no clue. I haven't read the book, just working with what is posted and the juddd web site. thanks again!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #904
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shelly_S
Stats: 225/174/155 5'2" 45yr
WOE: 2/1/13 Shangri La (225lb); 3/13/13 JUDDD (215 lbs)
Start Date: 3/13/13 - 28 weeks on JUDDD - 41 lbs gone/51 total
Thank you for the welcome, Yam-Yam and Hot-in-texas.

This weird pain only started late in the day of my first DD and I thought it was just hunger at first. I can't help but think it is related somehow. I haven't done anything else (other than some ab crunches and a kettlebell workout). Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance right now and can't afford to see a doctor. I'm going to monitor this closely over the next day or so after eating any little thing. Maybe the Slimfast and dairy did something weird to my body.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #905
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hamsteak
Stats: 223/194/145
WOE: Atkins before/now JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
New to JUDDD!

Hi! I am brand new to this style of diet. I was inspired by the BBC documentary and a recent New York Times article profiling Dr. Michael Mosley who wrote "The Fast Diet" which is more of a 5:2 plan. Anyway, after some deep research I started to learn about alternate day fasting and JUDDD and I was intrigued.

So I started on Monday! Today was my second DD. It was not too bad but I know it wasn't nutritionally sound (a cookie and soup!) however my first DD was. I was out all day and had to eat something and that's all I could get while meeting in a cafe. Anyway- yesterday was my first UD and I think I went way overboard. I was hungry! I think I nearly binged and I had three drinks (vodka and soda)so that really threw me for a loop. When I went over the day I am certain I was between 2500-3000 cals.

I began with Atkins about two years ago and followed that for maybe 6months or so and lost 40lbs (down to 180) and then had a few big life changes (moved across country twice) and was laid off. So I really let my eating get out of control and in the last month returned to Atkins but have been having a near impossible time sticking with it this go around. I am fine if I don't have to go out of my house. But that is not really much of a life for me (single female!). So, I am giving this a go and hoping that after my first week I will see a solid loss.

I've been reading the forums here nearly all day and everyone is so inspiring!! I am so grateful. What I would love to know is if anyone had any TOP 5 tips or so for a newbie. Any struggles you remember having or what you did to get over a binge heavy UD. Looking forward to chatting with everyone here and getting to know you all!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #906
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly_S View Post
Thank you for the welcome, Yam-Yam and Hot-in-texas.

This weird pain only started late in the day of my first DD and I thought it was just hunger at first. I can't help but think it is related somehow. I haven't done anything else (other than some ab crunches and a kettlebell workout). Unfortunately, I don't have health insurance right now and can't afford to see a doctor. I'm going to monitor this closely over the next day or so after eating any little thing. Maybe the Slimfast and dairy did something weird to my body.
Let us know if it gets better
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #907
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsteak View Post
Hi! I am brand new to this style of diet. I was inspired by the BBC documentary and a recent New York Times article profiling Dr. Michael Mosley who wrote "The Fast Diet" which is more of a 5:2 plan. Anyway, after some deep research I started to learn about alternate day fasting and JUDDD and I was intrigued.

So I started on Monday! Today was my second DD. It was not too bad but I know it wasn't nutritionally sound (a cookie and soup!) however my first DD was. I was out all day and had to eat something and that's all I could get while meeting in a cafe. Anyway- yesterday was my first UD and I think I went way overboard. I was hungry! I think I nearly binged and I had three drinks (vodka and soda)so that really threw me for a loop. When I went over the day I am certain I was between 2500-3000 cals.

I began with Atkins about two years ago and followed that for maybe 6months or so and lost 40lbs (down to 180) and then had a few big life changes (moved across country twice) and was laid off. So I really let my eating get out of control and in the last month returned to Atkins but have been having a near impossible time sticking with it this go around. I am fine if I don't have to go out of my house. But that is not really much of a life for me (single female!). So, I am giving this a go and hoping that after my first week I will see a solid loss.

I've been reading the forums here nearly all day and everyone is so inspiring!! I am so grateful. What I would love to know is if anyone had any TOP 5 tips or so for a newbie. Any struggles you remember having or what you did to get over a binge heavy UD. Looking forward to chatting with everyone here and getting to know you all!!
welcome!!
Here are my tips:
DDs
Hot tea helps stave(is that a word?) off hunger
Chicken broth is low calorie and a good meal replacement
High fat, high protein DDs work well as an appetite suppressant
Sugar free chewing gum if you feel the need to chew
Try to save a large portion calories to eat before bed, it is hard to sleep on an empty stomach

UDs
Plan ahead
Quality over quantity
Still try to eat fat and protein(think bacon, avocado, hard boiled eggs-i personally love fried eggs)
Look at a restaurants nutrition info before you go there if at all possible. I found out that a 1/2 cup of creamed spinach at one of my favorite restaurants is over 600 calories! Always thought it was a healthy option on their menu yikes
Can't wait too hear your progress!

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 03-06-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #908
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Hi everyone. I found JUDDD through another forum, bought the book and started on March 1st with my first DD. I used to fast in h.s. for days at a time to lose weight, did Medifast for a year and have done the Master Cleanse several times so fasting has never been a big deal for me if my mind is in the game and as long as I spread my calories over the entire day, but I did lower my metabolism significantly in the past from doing it for days at a time (especially the year-long Medifast), so I like the idea of UD's and DD's to kick in the skinny gene!

I've been freezing cold since I started, which I was expecting. But I'm having a problem with a lot of pain in my abdomen and upper back, which I've never experienced before on any kind of diet, and I'm having this both on up and down days, starting with Day 1. I even went to my chiropractor, but I'm not out of alignment. I'm not taking any meds, have had NO stomach issues in the past and am VERY healthy. I can't even exercise and can't concentrate, which will totally stall me out here. This is taking hunger pains to a new level. I tried a search and I can't find anyone who has experienced anything like this. I can't even breathe deeply because of the tightness I'm experiencing. Already tried baking soda so it's not gas.

Because of the pain, I can't tell if I'm hungry or satisfied or not, which is very frustrating. I've been taking Advil, which helps for a short time, but I don't want to be dosing on Advil forever. I'm also soooo tired that I can barely function. Luckily I'm not working much this week, but really wanted to get stuff done around the house. I nearly passed out at work from pain and hunger on Saturday though and it was an up day.

I'm not eating anything unusual except for more dairy with the shakes: Slimfast shakes, chicken broth, tomato sauce and veggies on DD's. UD's - pancakes with butter and blueberries, no syrup (I crave pancakes every time I fast), healthy soup, chicken and greens.

I really want JUDDD to work for me. Anyone experience anything like this?
Shelly! That pain sounds scary, and I'm sorry you can't see a doctor, but really, insurance or not, if it keeps up, you need to go! I did have upper right quadrant pain in the beginning. Not my first day or even week, but probably during the first month. It was up under my ribcage, and was worse when sitting or lying down, kind of went away or faded when I was on my feet. Some folks said it could be gall bladder, which is common when losing significant weight. It went away by itself after a few days and hasn't come back. It woke me up and kept me pretty uncomfortable for awhile. I also had a bad lower back muscle spasm probably a week after starting. Can't say I blame JUDDD for that one, but who knows. Please take care of yourself. If you have to quit JUDDDing for now, get to feeling better, then you could try again and see what happens.

Quote:

to you too, Hamsteak! I'm glad you've been reading the board. You learn so much from everyone else and kind of know what to expect, which helps. I think my tips would be:

DDs:
1. You'll figure out over time whether high bulk, lower calorie foods help you, or if you do better with denser, higher protein/fat foods keep you going (me).
2. You'll also figure out whether you do better eating small amounts through the day, or do better drinking low(ish) cal things during the day and save eating for later in the day (me again!)
3. For me, coffee w/HWC keeps me going during the morning/afternoon. You may prefer broth or hot tea.
4. Remember that you can eat tomorrow! Keeps the will power up on tough DDs.
5. Remember also that "hunger is not an emergency." Stomach gnawing and growling generally fades or disappears in 10 or 20 minutes (or less!)

UDs:
1. Plan ahead!
2. Count calories on UDs as well as DDs, at least until you have a pretty good idea what you consume and that it's in control, and not to low either.
3. When you crave something, go ahead and have some it. You can get over some pretty serious food obsessions this way.
4. If you have trouble getting to your UD calories, eat nuts, nut butters, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, cheese, chocolate, wine or other adult bevs.
5. Most UDs do try to fuel your body with nutritious foods. Yes, splurge and have that satisfying thing you've been denying yourself, but also, lots of good fuel.

Good luck both of you!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #909
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Shelly and Hamsteak!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #910
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Hi everyone. I found JUDDD through another forum, bought the book and started on March 1st with my first DD. I used to fast in h.s. for days at a time to lose weight, did Medifast for a year and have done the Master Cleanse several times so fasting has never been a big deal for me if my mind is in the game and as long as I spread my calories over the entire day, but I did lower my metabolism significantly in the past from doing it for days at a time (especially the year-long Medifast), so I like the idea of UD's and DD's to kick in the skinny gene!

I've been freezing cold since I started, which I was expecting. But I'm having a problem with a lot of pain in my abdomen and upper back, which I've never experienced before on any kind of diet, and I'm having this both on up and down days, starting with Day 1. I even went to my chiropractor, but I'm not out of alignment. I'm not taking any meds, have had NO stomach issues in the past and am VERY healthy. I can't even exercise and can't concentrate, which will totally stall me out here. This is taking hunger pains to a new level. I tried a search and I can't find anyone who has experienced anything like this. I can't even breathe deeply because of the tightness I'm experiencing. Already tried baking soda so it's not gas.

Because of the pain, I can't tell if I'm hungry or satisfied or not, which is very frustrating. I've been taking Advil, which helps for a short time, but I don't want to be dosing on Advil forever. I'm also soooo tired that I can barely function. Luckily I'm not working much this week, but really wanted to get stuff done around the house. I nearly passed out at work from pain and hunger on Saturday though and it was an up day.

I'm not eating anything unusual except for more dairy with the shakes: Slimfast shakes, chicken broth, tomato sauce and veggies on DD's. UD's - pancakes with butter and blueberries, no syrup (I crave pancakes every time I fast), healthy soup, chicken and greens.

Shelly, it could very well be gas. I tried baking soda too when I first started JUDDD for the gas and it didn't work. The only thing that worked for me is probiotic capsules. You said you added more dairy and that can cause stomach problems, which may radiate to the back. If probiotics don't help, they certainly can't hurt. I would try them and see if they do any good for you. and I hope you figure this out and get better soon!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #911
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009

So glad that you've found the JUDDD BUDDDs! We're glad that you're here!

Kimmie
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #912
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!! This is my second UD today and I am pretty nervous. I do think I do better on a higher fat up day but I know I need to eat lots of veg today because the last couple days have been really poor nutritionally. I just really haaaaate counting calories and haven't done it in over 2 years because of sticking to Atkins (but I had the carb creep)

I did put in my #s on the JUDDD site and got a really high UD (2951) which seems like way to much to help me lose weight. That would be a binge day for me. Today I am aiming for 2,000 and keeping the DD at 500.

Just want to re-iterate what an amazing community you all are and you are sooo inspirational to me! I have spent several hours combing through these forums to better understand this WOE and hear personal experiences. There is such a wealth of information and great stories here. I love reading these forums and am new to participating myself but hope to do so more. Thank you so much for the advice and welcomes!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #913

You're right, Hamsteak. Those UD calories seem quite high. If you want to share your current weight, height and age, we can help.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #914
Junior LCF Member

I am 27, F, 5'5, 194LBS
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #915

Okay, you're right on guesstimating 2000 UD calories. The calculator give you 2014, and 403 for DDs. That's at 20% weight loss mode and "little to no exercise" level. Of course, you've got some leeway from there. I wonder if you didn't change the calculator from cm to inches or kg to pounds. Lots of us have done that!

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #916
Major LCF Poster!

hamsteak, sometimes the calculator messes things up if you don't check the right box for "inches" vs centimeters and for 'pounds" vs kilos
Old 03-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #917
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyAnne
WOE: None
Hello

Hi everyone. I joined a few days ago, so please forgive me for not introducing myself sooner.
My name is Holly. I am a married mother of a grown son and a young teen daughter. I have been overweight most of my life, and I have tried several diets. Some with success, and some not. This one seems very promising to me, and I am very optimistic.
I am looking forward to becoming thin and healthy with all of you. Thank you for having me.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #918
Major LCF Poster!

Holly! Your avi is so pretty
Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #919

HollyAnne! So glad to have you with us. I hope you love JUDDD!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #920
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HollyAnne
WOE: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
Holly! Your avi is so pretty

Thank you! I made it myself.

Thanks for the welcomes!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #921
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Farm Gal
WOE: Fast-5
Shelly, Hamsteak and HollyAnne. I'm also fairly new to this board, but this is my second go around with JUDDD. Life happened & I fell off plan, but of all the diets that I have ever done-and yes, I've have been dieting most of my adult life-this is the one that has really worked!!! Wish you all the best!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #922
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
hamsteak, sometimes the calculator messes things up if you don't check the right box for "inches" vs centimeters and for 'pounds" vs kilos
Thanks! I realize the error now and glad I voiced it on here first! Thanks all for your support and clarification! Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #923
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taghag
Stats: 136/120-5'2",48YO
WOE: WheatBelly,JUDDD
Start Date: 3/4/13
Hello nice people! Thanks for having me!

I have been lurking here on and off for over a year, finally decided to join today to be a part of all this.

I started my weight loss odyssey over a year ago with a good friend of mine. She haunts this site too, not sure if she has actually joined. We were two peas in a pod, had tried just about any and every diet out there only to come up heavier. We started out with low carbing it and had some success. Last summer we parted diet ways, I had read Wheat Belly and wanted to go that route, she went JUDDD. She wanted me to do it with her, I was too scared. Fast forward to this year, she has blown past me in weight loss (GO her!!!) and I had plateaued.

I spent the weekend here reading up on JUDDD, preparing myself, then unofficially officially started Monday. Yesterday was my 2nd DD and man it was tough!!! I came on here to read and figured I needed to join!

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to give a brief bio. Still learning diet abbreviations so forgive my ignorance at times. I am trying to learn as I go, you all are so great with each other!!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #924
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Quote:

Have you thought that the sugar alchalols(brain dead spellcheck) could have anything to do with the stomache pains...yes check with the doc
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #925
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taghag View Post

I have been lurking here on and off for over a year, finally decided to join today to be a part of all this.

I started my weight loss odyssey over a year ago with a good friend of mine. She haunts this site too, not sure if she has actually joined. We were two peas in a pod, had tried just about any and every diet out there only to come up heavier. We started out with low carbing it and had some success. Last summer we parted diet ways, I had read Wheat Belly and wanted to go that route, she went JUDDD. She wanted me to do it with her, I was too scared. Fast forward to this year, she has blown past me in weight loss (GO her!!!) and I had plateaued.

I spent the weekend here reading up on JUDDD, preparing myself, then unofficially officially started Monday. Yesterday was my 2nd DD and man it was tough!!! I came on here to read and figured I needed to join!

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to give a brief bio. Still learning diet abbreviations so forgive my ignorance at times. I am trying to learn as I go, you all are so great with each other!!
I hope your DDs get easier soon. I really believe in hot tea when you feel like you just have to have something to eat. Good luck! Look forward to seeing more posts from you! You should join us on the DD thread tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #926

Taghag! Glad to have another future success story joining us. I think you'll really like JUDDDing with us. You learn so much about yourself doing this. Plus, it really does work. Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you better!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #927
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Shelly_S
Stats: 225/174/155 5'2" 45yr
WOE: 2/1/13 Shangri La (225lb); 3/13/13 JUDDD (215 lbs)
Start Date: 3/13/13 - 28 weeks on JUDDD - 41 lbs gone/51 total
Thank you everyone for the ideas. I had been doing the Shangri-la diet for the month of Feb and was not getting appetite suppression so decided to start JUDD on March 1st and stop taking the oil (so maybe the pain was due to my body having been used to 4 TBS of oil and I quit it cold turkey?).

Anyway, someone on the Shangri-la forum suggested I switch to flax oil instead of extra light olive oil so I tried that yesterday (UD) and today (DD). I also had a cup of bulletproof coffee today and no dairy at all. I'm happy to report that I'm feeling A LOT better. I still have a tad of tightness around my ribcage (which I remembered I had one time back in 1999 when I was really stressed and I've been stressed about money lately so maybe it's anxiety-related?) but the pain has subsided. I ended up having about 845 cals for my DD between the oil, BP coffee and some greens with LC cheese, but I felt better than I have in a week! I had tons of energy, was barely hungry, felt great and wasn't even cold!

I know I'm supposed to be at 500 for the induction phase, but wow, I felt so good today on my DD, better than any UD or DD I've had so far, so I think I may experiment with calories and the oil/coffee combo and see if I still drop weight. For my weight, 845 is still 40%. Guess we'll see.

Anyway, thank you everybody for your support! This board is full of really awesome people!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #928
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiLi914
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 2/16/2013
Quote:

Have you ever thought about finding a calorie counter? You'll be able to see the calorie count and it makes easier to streamline both UD's and DD's. There are plenty calorie counter sites out there and it might just be helpful to you. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #929
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyAnne View Post
Hi everyone. I joined a few days ago, so please forgive me for not introducing myself sooner.
My name is Holly. I am a married mother of a grown son and a young teen daughter. I have been overweight most of my life, and I have tried several diets. Some with success, and some not. This one seems very promising to me, and I am very optimistic.
I am looking forward to becoming thin and healthy with all of you. Thank you for having me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taghag View Post

to both of you! I hope you love JUDDDing as much as I do!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #930
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kimmietoo
Stats: 350/269.2/??? 58 yo, hypothyroid age 8; menopausal
WOE: start JUDDD 01/24/13 at 310
Start Date: July 2009
Hamsteak, Taghag, Shelly S and HollyAnne, and also any that I've missed or those that haven't introduced themselves quite yet. We're so glad that you are here and giving JUDDD a try. I am still a relative newbie here myself, and I can honestly tell you that having the support and information from the veterans of this thread makes and enormous difference in one's ability to succeed with this plan. Be sure to take note of how many we have here that have already attained or are close to their goal, and they are still here, cheering us on, answering questions, providing tips. You are going to love this place!

Kimmie
Closed Thread