Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #721
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reluctantexan
Stats: 170/155/140
WOE: HFLC
What kind of psyllium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Capsules or powder? I am interested in trying it, but have only seen the capsules locally. Will they do the same thing (make you feel full)?
You can pay a lot, or you can pay a little

If you buy psyllium in capsules or in Metamucil form, it can cost a lot. I buy psyllium husks in a 12 oz. container. Purchased this way, the cost is $5.99. (it was $3.99 for 20 years, then the price jumped up) I mix a tbls into a cup of water, mix it up and let it set for about 3 minutes until it absorbs some of the water and swallow it down, chase with another cup of water.

In health food stores, they call this "colon cleanser" and charge a lot more for it.

Although psyllium has no taste, lots of people have a problem with swallowing it once it "gels up." If that's you, then you'll want to get the capsules.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #722
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
A friend gave me some green tea supplement pills yesterday. I took one this morning and it really seems to have made me feel completely satisfied (although I've already had plenty to eat, lol). It recommends one pill with a full glass of water before each meal, 3x a day. I noticed it contains reservatrol too (and green coffee bean).

P.S. are you saying that I could sprinkle Metamucil on food and it would be the same thing others here are using to add thickness to foods?

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-12-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM   #723
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
That may be my solution, as I am starving on my DD.
Thanks for idea.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #724
Berta48

Gallery: Berta48
Stats: Low Carb/temp goal239.8 10lbs @ time)
WOE: OWL Low Carb Style 10 lbs at a time!
Start Date: April 17th, 2014(247.8 LC Plan Atkins
I want to wish all my JUDDD Buds

A VERY HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

Last edited by Berta48; 02-14-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #725
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
Confused Dieter

Hello, stumbled across JUDDD and had to google to actually find out what it was. lol But I'm really confused about what I should do and am seeking sound advice. I lost from 204 to current 159 by watching calories. That's eating around 1000 to 1200 a day. I've talked with others doing low carb and thought about watching carbs and cals, but 1000 a day is not a lot. Especially when that's all you're eating day in and day out. I am having some success, however its extremely slow. I'm talking maybe 3 pounds or so a month with absolute no cheating whatsoever. I might also add that in order to have that 3 lb loss I've got to be getting some pretty good activity levels to get that loss. So I guess what I'm asking is if there are definite results with juddd? I dont think 500 cal dd would be a problem because I'm already use to finding low cal foods I like due to keeping up with my calories to begin with. I just don't want to get on another "so called" diet and end up doing worse than I did to start with. No sure if I'm rambling at this point, or getting my point across. I just want to finally find a diet that works that I can deal with where I don't feel like I can ever have anything I enjoy again. Thanks for any input!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #726
Big Yapper!!!!

JMBM!! There are a lot of stickys at the top of this forum that will help you learn more about this WOE. You can also google JUDDD calculator and it will take you to Dr. J's site where you can input your height, weight and age to see what your calories will need to be for Up Days and Down Days. Most recommend choosing "little to no exercise" even if you do exercise (unless you are an athlete or training for a triathalon or something), and 20% weight loss to calculate your numbers. Scroll down the page and you will find the calculator...be sure to change it to inches and pounds, if you are American.

I have been JUDDDing for 12 weeks and I am losing about 1 to 1.5 lbs a week with no exercise, and eating around 2000 cals on UD's. Sometimes I've had several UD's in a row, but still balanced out to 1-1.5 lbs down a week. If you want faster weight loss, you can eat less than 500 on DD's and that will help a lot. If you're comfortable with 1 lb a week, JUDDD is simply amazing. You can eat whatever you choose on UD's and just "diet" eod (every other day). Hope this helps!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #727
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you library girl. Your post was very encouraging. I feel like my metab is in a rut and I'm so sick of it! Do you have to use the shakes and bars on induction like the website suggest, or can you just simply eat whatever as long as you have exact calorie count? For instance, quaker instant oats has 140 a packet and it's very filling. Could totally do that for breakfast. Also, found drinkable soups for around 150 I could do for lunch.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pibble mama
Stats: 289.6/283/175!!
WOE: NK newbie!
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBM View Post
Thank you library girl. Your post was very encouraging. I feel like my metab is in a rut and I'm so sick of it! Do you have to use the shakes and bars on induction like the website suggest, or can you just simply eat whatever as long as you have exact calorie count? For instance, quaker instant oats has 140 a packet and it's very filling. Could totally do that for breakfast. Also, found drinkable soups for around 150 I could do for lunch.
HELLO!!! and Welcome! I'm a newbie to this as well...been LC for what seems like forever...but I am kinda digging the whole juddd thing! Everyone has been so helpful and friendly!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #729
Junior LCF Member

Ticker Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibble mama View Post
HELLO!!! and Welcome! I'm a newbie to this as well...been LC for what seems like forever...but I am kinda digging the whole juddd thing! Everyone has been so helpful and friendly!!!!
I remember somebody saying we have to have a certain number of posts or some such other rule before we get a signature. My ticker is ongoing for years and I'm ready to stick it up when "the powers" allow us newbies to do that.

Yes, LCHF for years and years. I'm so craving grains. Today is an UD and I just had maltomeal mixed with ground flax. Even my dog liked it (as I shared my leftovers).
Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #730
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
JMBM! It sounds to me (prejudiced though I am) that JUDDD would be perfect for you. You know you can do the DDs (down days), and UDs (up days) will simply be a treat and a luxury. My bet is too, that eating a few more calories, along with the metabolic advantage JUDDD gives us, will kick your metabolism into gear and you'll lose faster. I'm no medical professional, but I'd bet money that your body has sunk into starvation mode and is holding onto its weight for dear life. This could be just what you've been looking for. Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #731
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Welcome JMBM! I think you'll love Juddd. You don't have to do bars or shakes. I know I didn't.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the outpouring of encouragement. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I've got to go to the store to buy DD foods. I don't thing finding food for UD is going to be a problem. Anxious to get started! Just decided I can always go back to what I was doing if I'm not satisfied with my results. Definitely looking forward to a cupcake!! Yay!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #733
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200/140.4/140 (190/156.7/145)65yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
JMBM! If your metabolism is shot, JUDDD is just the thing! It has been for me. Even my doctor says it's really been shaking mine up!

I've done LC, Southbeach, low fat, Weight Watchers, the Zone, etc. Nothing has done as well as JUDDD! I joined here last September & have lost 35 pounds so far. I'm almost at goal! Jump in......I really think you're gonna love it here!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #734
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like just what I've been looking for. I just hope I can stick with it long term. I think once I make it through induction I'll be ok. I know its going to take self discipline, but 2 weeks is not a long time and only 7 days out of the two weeks will be really, really hard. But I think I can give it a try. Calorie restriction is pretty much what I'm doing anyway. My DD cals are only 1749 or something like that. It a good bit of calories, but compared to others getting a whopping 2000 to 2200 it just doesn't seem fair. lol Whaa, Whaa, Whaa right? lol
Old 02-16-2013, 02:33 PM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

I also don't know that I've got this whole replying thing down either. ha, ha I see all these cute little captions that everyone's posting so if I'm doing it wrong forgive me. I'm trying to navigate my way around these threads and trying to remember which ones I've posted on. It seems like there would be a notification sign or something like on facebook to let you know you've gotten a response. Anyway, trying to get the hang of it.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #736
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! I hope I have some really good results.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #737
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Welcome JMBM! I think you'll love Juddd. You don't have to do bars or shakes. I know I didn't.
Thank you! I hope I'm responding the right way. I have been hitting the reply link. So it just puts everything at the bottom of the thread. Anyway, thanks for the info and encouragement.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #738
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari4 View Post
JMBM! If your metabolism is shot, JUDDD is just the thing! It has been for me. Even my doctor says it's really been shaking mine up!

I've done LC, Southbeach, low fat, Weight Watchers, the Zone, etc. Nothing has done as well as JUDDD! I joined here last September & have lost 35 pounds so far. I'm almost at goal! Jump in......I really think you're gonna love it here!
Sounds like what I've been looking for. I have tried LC as well and don't usually stay faithful very long. Also tried weight watchers which was ok, but pretty much boils down to low cal diet. So I'm hoping this gives my metab a jolt and gets me back on track. I love the lipton diet green tea as well and I think its helpful with weightloss as well. I could drink a gallon a day. I love it. But thanks so much for sharing. It really encourages me to hear from others.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #739
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Sounds like just what I've been looking for. I just hope I can stick with it long term. I think once I make it through induction I'll be ok. I know its going to take self discipline, but 2 weeks is not a long time and only 7 days out of the two weeks will be really, really hard. But I think I can give it a try. Calorie restriction is pretty much what I'm doing anyway. My DD cals are only 1749 or something like that. It a good bit of calories, but compared to others getting a whopping 2000 to 2200 it just doesn't seem fair. lol Whaa, Whaa, Whaa right? lol
It will seem like a lot compared to DD's. Once you get to maintenance, you can up your UD calories and just have low DD's, since in maintenance your DD calories go up. It doesn't work to do that for weight loss, but it works well in maintenance, according to the maintainers on this forum.

As for your question about shakes or food for DD's...you definitely don't have to do shakes. It's up to you what you eat, as long as you adhere to the calorie restriction. I never did the shakes. You will learn a lot about what you can eat that either satisfies you or causes cravings on DD's. Plus you will also learn about whether you should eat small meals throughout the day, or fast completely till dinnertime or something in between. We all have different ways of getting through DD's. Good luck and if I can help, let me know!

ETA: "Induction" is really just to get you acclimated to fasting, or very low calories. Really, it is a time where you can eat MORE food on your DD's than you "should" once you get used to the diet. Some of us never go under 500 calories, and some stay over 500 calories throughout their weightloss and it works, but slower. It's your body, your plan and you get to decide how you work it.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 02-16-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #740
Big Yapper!!!!

JMBM my UD is 1591 and DD is 318 at 20% WLM. The numbers depend on age, height, weight. So the younger, taller and heavier you are the higher the calories. After juddding a while I ate about 150 cal on DD so I could be a bit more liberal on UDs. My numbers were of course higher when I weighed more and it was actally hard to eat that amount on some UDs. I'm at goal, but I still keep DDs under 500 so I can enjoy my UDs.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #741
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It will seem like a lot compared to DD's. Once you get to maintenance, you can up your UD calories and just have low DD's, since in maintenance your DD calories go up. It doesn't work to do that for weight loss, but it works well in maintenance, according to the maintainers on this forum.

As for your question about shakes or food for DD's...you definitely don't have to do shakes. It's up to you what you eat, as long as you adhere to the calorie restriction. I never did the shakes. You will learn a lot about what you can eat that either satisfies you or causes cravings on DD's. Plus you will also learn about whether you should eat small meals throughout the day, or fast completely till dinnertime or something in between. We all have different ways of getting through DD's. Good luck and if I can help, let me know!

ETA: "Induction" is really just to get you acclimated to fasting, or very low calories. Really, it is a time where you can eat MORE food on your DD's than you "should" once you get used to the diet. Some of us never go under 500 calories, and some stay over 500 calories throughout their weightloss and it works, but slower. It's your body, your plan and you get to decide how you work it.
I guess experimenting is the key. What works best for each persons body. I ran the numbers on 20% and my DD no. was 300 something and my UD was 1700 something. I thought Whoa only 300! But its only 7 days so I'm going to try find some food thats low that will at least keep me from getting that shaky feeling. I have done a 24hr. complete fast before and was shocked when I got on the scale the next day. Couldn't believe 1 day without food would cause me to lose that much. It was like 2 pounds or something. Although I did it for spiritual reasons I was still curious to see how my body reacted. It's obviously working for a lot of people so there is no reason it shouldn't work for me!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #742
Big Yapper!!!!

JM, you should not try to go under 500 calories for the first two weeks on your DD, unless you are totally comfortable with it. That's part of the "induction". If you feel good doing less than 500, go for it.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #743
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
JMBM my UD is 1591 and DD is 318 at 20% WLM. The numbers depend on age, height, weight. So the younger, taller and heavier you are the higher the calories. After juddding a while I ate about 150 cal on DD so I could be a bit more liberal on UDs. My numbers were of course higher when I weighed more and it was actally hard to eat that amount on some UDs. I'm at goal, but I still keep DDs under 500 so I can enjoy my UDs.
Ok, so that makes more sense. I think I saw a DD recipe link somewhere. I may need to check on that out because I think for me having my meals or foods ready in advance so I'm not tempted to just stuff my face.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #744
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, so that makes more sense. I think I saw a DD recipe link somewhere. I may need to check on that out because I think for me having my meals or foods ready in advance so I'm not tempted to just stuff my face.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #745
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
JM, you should not try to go under 500 calories for the first two weeks on your DD, unless you are totally comfortable with it. That's part of the "induction". If you feel good doing less than 500, go for it.
Yeah, I'm going to go for the 500 and see how I do. If it doesn't seem like a struggle I may go a wee bit lower, but will have to see. Looks like I'm shooting for Sunday's - U, Mon - D, Tue - U and so forth. I guess that will make Sat and Sun. both U days. Is that ok?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #746
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to go for the 500 and see how I do. If it doesn't seem like a struggle I may go a wee bit lower, but will have to see. Looks like I'm shooting for Sunday's - U, Mon - D, Tue - U and so forth. I guess that will make Sat and Sun. both U days. Is that ok?
Are you doing this for weight loss or just for health benefits? If you are just doing it for health you can to 3 or possibly just 2 DDs, for weight loss I would recommend strict eod rotations.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #747
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Are you doing this for weight loss or just for health benefits? If you are just doing it for health you can to 3 or possibly just 2 DDs, for weight loss I would recommend strict eod rotations.
No, I'm trying to shed these last 25 to 30 lbs. Got back from the store and found several soups, Lean Q meals, and did end up buying some adkins vanilla shakes. Hope they aren't terrible. I also have some oatmeal, veggies, and sliced deli meats, and lowfat greek yogurt. I will have my first DD Monday.

My Sat, and Sun will both be UD so hope that's ok?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #748
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
No, I'm trying to shed these last 25 to 30 lbs. Got back from the store and found several soups, Lean Q meals, and did end up buying some adkins vanilla shakes. Hope they aren't terrible. I also have some oatmeal, veggies, and sliced deli meats, and lowfat greek yogurt. I will have my first DD Monday.

My Sat, and Sun will both be UD so hope that's ok?
According to the program, you are to do every other day rotations, so you wouldn't be able to have two UDs in a row.
That being said, I do know that there are some people who do Mon, Wed, Fri DDs, and then they always have both Sat and Sun be UDs. I have not had a chance to ask them how successful they have been doing it this way, but they do say it works for them, I just have no idea how fast. I think you just have to experiment and see what works for you, which is the beauty of intermittent fasting, IMO.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
BTW JM, some things that help me on DDs is chicken broth, hot tea, and getting some fat to help control the appetite. Also, when I use deli meats as a meal, I like to have some good pickles to go along with. Cabbage, and squash also can be very filling.
Welcome!

ETA, try to save some calories for just before bed, I had a really hard time sleeping for the first week or two due to a completely empty stomach.

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 02-16-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #750
Junior LCF Member

Struggling

Having been on Atkins for so many years, I'm struggling on UDs.

This morning I did a reboot. Today is a DD. Easy peasy.

Fingers crossed.
Closed Thread